Goldeneye Original Uncut Xenia Punch (Never Before Seen)

edited March 2020 in Bond Movies Posts: 229
Here is a clip of the original uncut punch Bond delivers to Xenia which was previously cut on all releases by the BBFC until now when I discovered this video.

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Where is da clipz?
  • JamesCraig wrote: »
    Where is da clipz?

It's uploaded now.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That’s not what I call a rabbit punch.

Yah, me neither. I was really looking forward to it!!
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 229
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That’s not what I call a rabbit punch.

I was referring to this as cited by imdb:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113189/alternateversions?ref_=tt_ql_trv_5

The rabbit punch by Bond on Xenia is missing, but this was because of the BBFC, not the MPAA. The BBFC objected to it and Martin Campbell saw no need in making two versions of the scene for the US and UK, so it was cut from both.

Anyways, I have changed the topic title to clear things up.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    46d8befe-9622-4236-af43-2f80a4f32e2b_text.gif
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    "Video not available".
  • JamesCraig wrote: »
    "Video not available".

Fixed.
    Thanhs. Why there is the GoldenEye display after? Seems that come more from a documentary/behind-the-scenes than a workprint.
  • Thanhs. Why there is the GoldenEye display after? Seems that come more from a documentary/behind-the-scenes than a workprint.

It was from a Japanese documentary found on here:
    Thanks fo the info to have share it.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 623
    It looks the same to me! I need to re-watch GE, obviously.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    shamanimal wrote: »
    It looks the same to me! I need to re-watch GE, obviously.

In the film version it cuts to a closeup of Bond as he chops her.
    I just stuck the DVD on, yea, I see it now. I'm reminded of when I watched the LTK DVD for the first time, there were distinct changes from the cinema version.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,526
    I’m pretty sure in all versions of goldeneye I’ve seen / have, what’s in that clip is exactly what you see. I’ll watch again in the next couple of days.
  • Nothing here I haven't seen already.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m pretty sure in all versions of goldeneye I’ve seen / have, what’s in that clip is exactly what you see. I’ll watch again in the next couple of days.

I'd be curious to know if that is in the Candian version: it's certainly not what we had in the UK.

We did get some cuts once it went to video as I recall: Xenia's death got chopped a little I think. I think TND's video release also lost Wai Lin's throwing stars, and Bond kicking the unconscious guard in the face on the Stealth ship.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada

I'm pretty sure it's in the film as well.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    There’s another uncut clip that I’ve read about that I want to see. It was a close up of Alec getting shot in the head in the PTS. It at least explains that Orumov wasn’t shooting blanks (which is why he was able to shoot down his soldier).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Agent_47 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it's in the film as well.

Have you checked though?
    There’s another uncut clip that I’ve read about that I want to see. It was a close up of Alec getting shot in the head in the PTS. It at least explains that Orumov wasn’t shooting blanks (which is why he was able to shoot down his soldier).

How does that work, then? How does he survive?
    People can survive getting shot in the head in real life in the rarest of circumstances, but it does raise more questions about his defection. It’s funny that it only got cut out because of censorship, when there’s other valid reasons for cutting it out.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Exactly: if he actually got shot then when did him and Ouromov work out their plan together? It actually makes slightly less sense: I always had to kind of assume that Ouromov just shot to the side of Alec's head but it looked like he was shot from where Bond was!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm pretty sure I've seen that Xenia punch clip over the years. Wish they had kept it in the finished film.
    mtm wrote: »
    Exactly: if he actually got shot then when did him and Ouromov work out their plan together? It actually makes slightly less sense: I always had to kind of assume that Ouromov just shot to the side of Alec's head but it looked like he was shot from where Bond was!

Indeed, there’s a lot of logistic problems either way with that sequence. How exactly Orumov and Alec teamed up is left to the imagination.

Indeed, there’s a lot of logistic problems either way with that sequence. How exactly Orumov and Alec teamed up is left to the imagination.

Agreed. For me, it's not difficult to imagine he just shot beside Alec's head. In the heat of the moment, there would be no issue with Bond believing Alec was shot and killed.
    And yes the gun was loaded, which is how he killed his soldier. Dangerous trick, but, James Bond film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah it's quite funny: did they have a really quick chat while Bond was hiding behind the gas tanks? :D

Agreed. For me, it's not difficult to imagine he just shot beside Alec's head. In the heat of the moment, there would be no issue with Bond believing Alec was shot and killed.
    And yes the gun was loaded, which is how he killed his soldier. Dangerous trick, but, James Bond film.

Which can be problematic, given that Bond saw the whole thing with his very eyes so it would be kind of anticlimactic if Bond just happened not to notice the bullet hitting the side and Alec's head not blowing up.

But given that they did shoot a close up of Trevelyan taking it to the head, I guess they basically rehashed that idea with Renard having been shot in the head by 009. Only difference is that Trevelyan seemingly kept his senses.

If GE hadn't cut it, I'd certainly like to know how the hell that team up with Orumov happened. Maybe he approached him to join the syndicate sometime after the explosion?

"Hey! I shot you! What the hell!?"
    "Yeah, you're kind of a bastard, wanna join my scheme?"
    All good points, but still not as problematic as it seems I think. IIRC, Bond pulls away from what's happening as soon as the shot is fired by Orumov, probably from the shock of watching 006 get executed. And yes, if everything that was happening was more realistic maybe Bond would be confused as to why Alec's head didn't explode, but I think in the context of the Bond films, it's perfectly acceptable to concede that 006 and Orumov went into these scenes already as allies, and that Orumov and 006 positioned themselves for the 'execution' so that they could fake it. Bond would have absolutely no reason to question that Orumov had executed 006. Maybe Orumov shot him in the shoulder, to provide the correct effect while not being fatal to 006? It isn't a stretch I don't think.
    As the film is, I'm pretty much in the "they were in cahoots from the start" and let Bond get away so he could report 006's "death" and Trevelyan would go onto form his syndicate with Orumov at his side.
    Suits me perfectly.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    As the film is, I'm pretty much in the "they were in cahoots from the start" and let Bond get away so he could report 006's "death" and Trevelyan would go onto form his syndicate with Orumov at his side.

They do seem fairly keen on killing him, though! I guess he warned them that 007 is pretty good and tends to escape a lot, but they don't have much faith in their abilities if they didn't think they could get him! :)
    And did no-one else in the Russian army ask why Ouromov didn't kill Alec? Isn't that a bit fishy?