NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It hasn’t gone up or down for me. It was a solid 8/10, and still is for me.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I’m so, so glad we got NTTD instead of SP as the end to Craig’s era. Infinitely more exciting and captivating. The action department alone is embarrassing one-sided in NTTD’s favor.

Yet another thing we agree on tonight...:-)

;) birds of a feather flock together!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'll have to go the other way, and wish to Fleming that SP had been the end of the Craig era. I just don't buy into this theory that SP couldn't have been the end.

All these months on, and I have not once and the itch to re-watch NTTD.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    OK, I'll do it for you in the near future. Maybe you can re-watch DAD and TWINE in turn so I won't have to.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    OK, I'll do it for you in the near future. Maybe you can re-watch DAD and TWINE in turn so I won't have to.

Everyone's a winner.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2022 Posts: 13,894

I'm fine with that. I have few issues with TWINE, and though DAD was a hard film to sit through 20 years ago, I have come to see that amongst the MTV editing, Madonnas techno infused song, juvenile writing and iffy CGI, there is some good in there too.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

I'm fine with that. I have few issues with TWINE, and though DAD was a hard film to sit through 20 years ago, I have come to see that amongst the MTV editing, Madonnas techno infused song, juvenile writing and iffy CGI, there is some good in there too.

Accepted. But are you saying you found no redeeming qualities in NTTD at all? I found them to be quite abundant.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    From first viewing, I thought NTTD was the worst of Craig's films. Still do. Not 'worst' in the sense that I don't like it - because I do. But worst in the sense that I like the other four more.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    “Least favorite” would be a more accurate term.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,951
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I’m so, so glad we got NTTD instead of SP as the end to Craig’s era. Infinitely more exciting and captivating. The action department alone is embarrassing one-sided in NTTD’s favor.

I think I'd disagree there: apart from the DB5 chase I think the action is a bit weak in NTTD. The 4x4 chase is extremely nothingy.

Yes I've seen it twice.
    mtm wrote: »
    The 4x4 chase is extremely nothingy.
    Well, yes, it's basically an extended Land Rover commercial...even of questionable value, since the antique Land Cruiser or whatever it was came out the winner.

Accepted. But are you saying you found no redeeming qualities in NTTD at all? I found them to be quite abundant.

No, no. I liked the Matera sequence at the beginning. And I really liked seeing the V8 Vantage in London. Not just because it was the return of my favorite Bond car, but also for the version of the Bond theme used in that sequence.

It's all ominous and sinister to begin with, almost like it's from a John Carpenter film, before it switches to that familiar sound.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It definitely reminds me of a Pierce Bond film, there are scene's and sequences in NTTD I enjoy but not enough to go back and rewatch the whole film again

Yes I've seen it twice.

Have you honestly only watched it twice?
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    I've only seen it once.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 1,004
    I've only sat all the way through it once, but I've dropped in and out a bit. I still like most of the pre-credit sequence and the Spectre party. And Jamaica scenes as well actually.
    mtm is such a prolific poster and defender of NTTD here it surprised me that they'd only seen the film twice.
    Usually, when a Bond film comes out on DVD, I'd be embarrassed to tell people how many times I'd watch it in the first few months. I'd certainly get weekly viewings in, though NTTD has certainly bucked the trend for that.
    There's a Yorkshire saying "tha's properly muckied tha' ticket with me". That's how I feel about the Bond franchise and NTTD.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited July 2022 Posts: 8,034
    I've seen it in its entirety three times. Twice in theatres, once at home.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I have seen it thrice. The rest of my viewing of it has been Safin's opening attack, The Matera sequence & The Bunker shootout. I even consider The Matera Sequence to be a perfect short Bond film, because it's that good.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I've only seen it twice from start to finish - once in cinemas and once when it first came out on disc. It is long, and I struggle to get through a 2-hour film these days (let alone near 3) without a lengthy intermission, which can be anywhere from hours to days. However, through all my prop hunting, I'm pretty sure I've watched every scene multiple times. If you add all that together, I've probably seen it over a dozen times now.

My opinion hasn't changed on this one since November - a decent entry, but not a patch on CR or even the older classics.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    “Least favorite” would be a more accurate term.

Good point!
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2022 Posts: 3,390
    Watched it again, my opinion was still the same hasn't changed at all, but the more I watch the Nanobots plot, the more it gives me questions and left me confusing.

Didn't liked those scenes involving Madeleine Swann, the OHMSS references made me a bit uncomfortable, this film didn't deserved it.

Those what I liked still didn't changed, after watching it again.
    But those what I didn't liked got worse with each subsequent viewings.
    In the hands of an average composer, the film could have been worse. I think Hans Zimmer helped the film immensely, even if he came in late.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,951

Yes I've seen it twice.

Have you honestly only watched it twice?

Once in the cinema, once when it came out on Blu. It's such a long film that it's hard to just pop on, and there's not much in there I'm desperate to see again. There aren't any proper Bond sequences in there. It's a decent film but... I've seen it.
    Spectre and Skyfall I was always happy to pop on again as they just feel Bondy, there are parts to them I find satisfying and fun.
    I
    mtm is such a prolific poster and defender of NTTD here it surprised me that they'd only seen the film twice.

Not sure why you get that idea: I'm pretty much always saying it's not very Bondy/the action is rubbish etc. It's only the ending that I defend: I think it's a valid artistic decision and it works.
    I think objectively it's a perfectly decent film, I can entirely see why people might really enjoy it. But subjectively it's not my favourite because it doesn't hit those notes in a Bond film which I like.
    Saw it twice at the cinema. Once with my wife (she thought it was just ok, and she loved CR and SF), and then with some hardcore Bond fans - they all hated it.

I then saw it at home with my parents and again they thought it was just ok.

My take on it - Really enjoyed the first viewing right up until then end, then the disappointment of seeing Bond die, and not using the end of YOLT, it fell right off a cliff. After that, second and third viewings I started to see flaws that I didn't notice first time round; knowing I wasn't as invested on repeat viewings because of what would happen at the end.

Had NTTD adapted the end of YOLT, my opinion probably would be significantly different to what it is now. Hell, I may even have it in my top 5 ranking.

As it is, I find it the worst Craig film, and one of the poorest Bond films, down there with DAD and AVTAK.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2022 Posts: 5,979
    After the relative failure of OHMSS, and triumph of CR (which found a way to soften its downer ending), Eon was never going to go out on the downer ending of the novel YOLT.

Maybe YOLT still would work as a cliffhanger *if* the same Bond actor is planning to return in the next film and if the period between films is relatively short (say, between Bond 26 and 27)...but there is no way Eon was going to write Craig, who, after all, reinvigorated the franchise after years of tired retreads, out in a bleak, open-ended manner.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    echo wrote: »
    After the relative failure of OHMSS, and triumph of CR (which found a way to soften its downer ending), Eon was never going to go out on the downer ending of the novel YOLT.

Maybe YOLT still would work as a cliffhanger *if* the same Bond actor is planning to return in the next film and if the period between films is relatively short (say, between Bond 26 and 27)...but there is no way Eon was going to write Craig, who, after all, reinvigorated the franchise after years of tired retreads, out in a bleak, open-ended manner.
    In all fairness, the end of NTTD is still pretty downbeat.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've seen it in its entirety three times. Twice in theatres, once at home.

Same for me.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    echo wrote: »

In all fairness, the end of NTTD is still pretty downbeat.

Not nearly as downbeat as OHMSS. And Bond gets a triumphant death.
    The jokes in NTTD ruined the impact of Bond's death. Even in Safin's lair where Bond died, jokes were still thrown around.
    I saw it once at the cinema and then forced myself to watch it on Amazon Prime despite having no desire to watch it again.

On 2nd viewing, I actually enjoyed the first 1hr and 15mins or so although it was far from great. The 2nd half is a complete mess and probably hated the 2nd half even more than I did at the cinema.

Overall, it's still Craig's worst and the worst Bond film of all for me, 25th of 25. A real shame Craig went out like that.