007 heading to streaming? Amazon buys MGM for $8.45 billion!

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2020 Posts: 40,471
    They'd certainly be foolish not to seriously consider it this time, especially with WB's announcement today. Take what you can get.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    My totally uninformed prediction is that they will try to push NTTD through in cinemas (possibly even in April), it will not work financially (eventhough I am convinced the film is going to be good) and by 2023 MGM is part of Apple and they will be involved in Bond 26 from the start, including input/veto on casting 007.

I don't think they will ever pull Bond out of theatres fully, because a potential 1,000,000,000$ film is just great earnings and it pulls people into your service more reliably than pure originals. (If there still are cinames by the time Bond 26 releases.)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

These numbers are crazy, you can see why HBO Max is chasing subscribers with there premium movies.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2020 Posts: 10,588
    Are the films going to be streamed in 4K? Last I heard 4K streaming on HBO Max is still unsupported (it’s variant here in Canada also doesn’t have a 4K option). That would be pretty embarrassing for distributors as the 1080p streaming quality is vastly inferior to ultra HD. They should fix this if people are attempting to replicate the cinema experience in their own homes.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited December 2020 Posts: 8,034
    jake24 wrote: »
    Are the films going to be streamed in 4K? Last I heard 4K streaming on HBO Max is still unsupported (it’s variant here in Canada also doesn’t have a 4K option). That would be pretty embarrassing for distributors as the 1080p streaming quality is vastly inferior to ultra HD. They should fix this if people are attempting to replicate the cinema experience in their own homes.

For you, @jake24 :)

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I forgot about that, thanks for the heads up.

Although it would still be pretty insane for international audiences not to be able to stream these films in higher quality.
  • Exciting times. Watching brand new films in the comfort of your own home. Bliss. I'd never go to the cinema again.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    WW84 will either be picked up in Europe (where I am) by Netflix or Amazon Prime Video I would think.

If its the former it will likely be in 4K, if the latter none of the previous DC movies are currently available in 4K on Prime.

Though Prime are slowly improving there 4K library for rental/purchase. I will want to buy WW84 so hopefully it will be available in 4K on Prime.
    WW84 will either be picked up in Europe (where I am) by Netflix or Amazon Prime Video I would think.

If its the former it will likely be in 4K, if the latter none of the previous DC movies are currently available in 4K on Prime.

Though Prime are slowly improving there 4K library for rental/purchase. I will want to buy WW84 so hopefully it will be available in 4K on Prime.

It won’t. WB is counting on the film being released in the usual way internationally...and the other thing is whether European cinemas would accept breaking the theatrical window the way they’ve done in the States.

For the U.K. the current plan is reported to be - a “COVID Emergency Window” of one month, then the film goes onto premium VOD or Sky Cinema as an exclusive for subscribers in mid January. In Norway and Italy, the theatrical release has been delayed until the end of January... it’s really gonna be a country by country thing.
    antovolk wrote: »

It won’t. WB is counting on the film being released in the usual way internationally...and the other thing is whether European cinemas would accept breaking the theatrical window the way they’ve done in the States.

For the U.K. the current plan is reported to be - a “COVID Emergency Window” of one month, then the film goes onto premium VOD or Sky Cinema as an exclusive for subscribers in mid January. In Norway and Italy, the theatrical release has been delayed until the end of January... it’s really gonna be a country by country thing.

That's unfortunate, wishful thinking on my part that it would be available sooner.
  • The difference between this movie and the Warner/HBO Max slate is that this is owned by MGM, who don't have either a multinational conglomerate as owners or a viable streaming service that they want to grow.

Because that's all this move is; a ploy to get HBO Max's subscription numbers to grow as quickly as possible. This movie guarantees that Warner Brothers itself will not make back even one-tenth of the profit they could have had if they'd allowed a full theatrical release for these films.

This doesn't matter to WB"s new owners AT&T, who are only interested in growing the subscriber base for their streaming services.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    And for all the "death of cinema" claims, keep in mind that if studios had the opportunity to make a billion dollars at the box office, they will gladly stop doing this practice of streaming films once COVID subsides. I think WB is just looking at 2021 for the moment and considering it an "off" year.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    I thought this was an interesting development: selected Bond films are now streaming on Peacock (owned by NBC / Universal). Some Bond films are also available on Hulu and Amazon Prime, but the Peacock agreement between MGM and Universal is pretty new.
    I'm not sure if it means anything as to where NTTD might end up if it goes to streaming (or the next film in the future), but I always have found it logical Universal might try to get the Bond films on their platform. Maybe this is just MGM trying to broaden their grounds, but maybe this is a sign of a NTTD deal yet to come.

I thought this was an interesting development: selected Bond films are now streaming on Peacock (owned by NBC / Universal). Some Bond films are also available on Hulu and Amazon Prime, but the Peacock agreement between MGM and Universal is pretty new.
    I'm not sure if it means anything as to where NTTD might end up if it goes to streaming (or the next film in the future), but I always have found it logical Universal might try to get the Bond films on their platform. Maybe this is just MGM trying to broaden their grounds, but maybe this is a sign of a NTTD deal yet to come.

If I’m honest I’m not so sure because Peacock was never positioned as a player in film specifically in the way even HBO Max is.
    Peacock, like CBS All Access, is definitely more emphasizing on TV shows. It is odd they feature Bond now.

Of course, CBS All Access is going to rebrand as Paramount+ since they’ve merged with that company and already feature a large number of Paramount titles.
  • No Bond films on YouTube or Prime in Canada - very disappointing! This looks to be a US-only opportunity.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    No Bond films on YouTube or Prime in Canada - very disappointing! This looks to be a US-only opportunity.

I don’t really understand why anybody would care, really. I’m up in Canada and I’ve managed to acquire all the films on hard copy because I’m a fan of the franchise. If you’re a casual fan and you’re disappointed they aren’t streaming here, I guess you’ll live; there are tons of other great things to stream. If you’re a big fan you’ve probably managed to see the films / get the films anyway.
    I think some fans wish Bond films would be more accessible for streamers, to potentially grow the fandom.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,730
    Error
    I bought the HD versions of the films from Prime Video even though I have the hard copies numerous times over.

I am often not at home so having the ability to stream or save the films on PC, Tablet or Mobile is handy.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,526
    I think some fans wish Bond films would be more accessible for streamers, to potentially grow the fandom.

As a Bond fan I've never cared at all about the size of the fandom, but I suppose the more accessible the franchise for people, the better.
  • No Bond films on YouTube or Prime in Canada - very disappointing! This looks to be a US-only opportunity.

I don’t really understand why anybody would care, really. I’m up in Canada and I’ve managed to acquire all the films on hard copy because I’m a fan of the franchise. If you’re a casual fan and you’re disappointed they aren’t streaming here, I guess you’ll live; there are tons of other great things to stream. If you’re a big fan you’ve probably managed to see the films / get the films anyway.

I've got the Blurays, but I'm sure there's a very large casual audience out there that would lap up the Bond films on a streaming platform - even the free-with-ads YouTube option. I was about to share the news with family members who don't own the films, then found out it's US-only, thus the disappointment ;)
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    No Bond films on YouTube or Prime in Canada - very disappointing! This looks to be a US-only opportunity.

I've got the Blurays, but I'm sure there's a very large casual audience out there that would lap up the Bond films on a streaming platform - even the free-with-ads YouTube option. I was about to share the news with family members who don't own the films, then found out it's US-only, thus the disappointment ;)

Hi, I'm that casual fan :-h

I took a somewhat circuitous root to fandom and have only purchased the Craigs. Having the older films on YouTube or another streamer would have been cool, because it lowers the barrier of entry to just pop one in.

Luckily for me in Germany, Sky currently has all of the movies on a specific channel and on their streaming option, which I can get access to, albeit a bit more complicated than say Netflix.

Fair enough! Good to see the different perspectives.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Do you think Apple or Netflix reconsider making an offer for No Time To Die, looking at sll the content on both HBO Max and Disney Plus that is coming in the next few months? Seems that releasing highly anticipated content to streaming is becoming the trend which could make the 600 million seem more reasonable.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 23,334
    I have a feeling HBO Max may get Bond., one thing is certain with all the new content announced the Streaming Wars just got real, perhaps Bond may get a figure closer to what they want with the competition hotting up.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Bond is a global brand and HBO Max is exclusive to the US. My feeling is that NTTD will have a cinema release, but if it went to streaming it would have to be worldwide.
    Yeah I don’t think there’s a chance for HBO Max to get Bond. Netflix would be more likely. Is Apple+ as widely available?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    No Apple+ isn't as widely available as Netflix and Netflix ain't going to pay such huge sum of money for a single film imo. At this point i don't believe it will end up on any streaming platform, but delay is more likely especially when they are considering theatrical release.