Which Film is the one that feels LEAST like a Bond film to you ?

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    barryt007 wrote: »
    TND ?? GG @GoldenGun and others ?!

I’m afraid so, I recently rewatched it and even though it ticks a lot of boxes it feels more like a colourless, generic 90’s action film to me.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    TND ?? GG @GoldenGun and others ?!

I’m afraid so, I recently rewatched it and even though it ticks a lot of boxes it feels more like a colourless, generic 90’s action film to me.

As I alluded to earlier, it may know the forms but it lacks the flavor. It was my first Bond film and I had no desire to watch another because of it. Years later I’d catch GE, and that ignited my interest in seeing more Bond films.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Licence to Kill. I’ve avoided watching it as much as possible but have made an effort recently to give it a second chance. I’ve even been reading the Making of Licence to Kill book alongside it. I think the truck sequence at the end is up there with the very best vehicle sequences and I’m starting to enjoy it more, but it still feels the most un-Bond-like to me. Shame as TLD is one of favourites.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'd have to go with LTK, QOS or SP. First two in a good way, the third not so much.

Definitely this. LTK and QoS were a different sort of Bond film, but still Bondian in their way.

With SP something just feels off somehow. The film doesen't gel as a whole.
    Am tempted to go any one of Brossas films!!.. but will definitely go with SF.
    I would love to know how many Bond fans GE created ,it must be a massive amount.
    This film probably deserves a lot more credit than it already gets for saving the series.
    It made Bond young and fresh again,made a brand new audience to add to the fans that were already there.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,343
    MR.

For one obvious unforgivable reason.

Speaking about the whole film, let's say QoS.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    I would love to know how many Bond fans GE created ,it must be a massive amount.
    This film probably deserves a lot more credit than it already gets for saving the series.
    It made Bond young and fresh again,made a brand new audience to add to the fans that were already there.

I was a Bond fan as a child in the 70s and 80s with Roger Moore but then I did lose interest. Goldeneye absolutely ‘reinvigorated’ my love of Bond - I was already a fan of Pierce from watching Remington Steele so his casting definitely was a big factor in watching GE and becoming a Bond fan all over again.

Meh!

Funnily, what made me want to check out that movie in the first place was after playing the Nintendo 64 game a lot with my cousin.

CR definitely had the same impact GE did, so you gotta give credit to Martin Campbell being there to reinvigorate Bond TWICE.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 19,339

Funnily, what made me want to check out that movie in the first place was after playing the Nintendo 64 game a lot with my cousin.

CR definitely had the same impact GE did, so you gotta give credit to Martin Campbell being there to reinvigorate Bond TWICE.

Always Python, Campbell has done so much for Bond under pressure, to save the series TWICE !!!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Meh!

#Meh too.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

GE is what made me a fan. The game, then the film. Then I watched the others when TBS used to run their 15 day Bond marathon.

Meh!

Meh!

#Meh too.

Honestly,you two never cease to amaze me!! ;)
    Looking at GE and it's high regard on here i would imagine it was a lot of members first taste of Bond at the cinema.

I like it but it's slowly gone down in my rankings over the years.
    Looking at GE and it's high regard on here i would imagine it was a lot of members first taste of Bond at the cinema.

It’s starting to date now ,my first cinema Bond was OP ,I always watched it on tv before that,but it is a marvellous film and did save the series.
    My first Bond in cinema was DAD.

I can't say I feel nostalgic for it.
    I guess although I like that Bond has aspects that are repeated, the series would get stale if it didn’t have movies that stepped away from formula.

I found GE to be more safe than fresh.

It’s starting to date now ,my first cinema Bond was OP ,I always watched it on tv before that,but it is a marvellous film and did save the series.

It was always horribly dated to me, mate!
    And it has too many annoying characters, Wade, Boris and I will also include Trevelyan, really hate that accent!
    I find it terribly dull too, and let's not get into that awful score!!

It was always horribly dated to me, mate!
    And it has too many annoying characters, Wade, Boris and I will also include Trevelyan, really hate that accent!
    I find it terribly dull too, and let's not get into that awful score!!

Agreed on the annoying characters. Wade is an unfunny buffoon and Boris should have died with the satellite dish....
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    CR 54 and CR 67, but do those count?

Not in the truest sense I would suggest. They were produced by others outside of Eon Productions and as such it would be like comparing apples with oranges. That's just my take on it anyway.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Not in the truest sense I would suggest. They were produced by others outside of Eon Productions and as such it would be like comparing apples with oranges. That's just my take on it anyway.

Already mentioned that Draggers, spot on...official only peeps !!!!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Already mentioned that Draggers, spot on...official only peeps !!!!

Sorry, old chap. I must've missed it. It's been a long few weeks! :)
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 565
    For me, sometimes its the lack of tropes, but sometimes it's the structure and pace of a film too. Music and locations are huge factors for me as well. As others have said you can have films that check the Boxes but doesn't carry any of the substance. Then you can have the opposite: the feel and look is there but the typical tropes aren't.

1) QOS. As much as I love this film, I have to admit, it's very different. I just think of Slate's or Mathis' death. The humor and suaveness is there but is subdued (closer to early Connery). It takes the rawness introduced in CR and brings it to Borne level, which definitely pushes it away from mainstream film Bond. To me the film is making a statement, distancing the series from Austin Powers mockery, which I still feel was needed to be done.

2) SF. The story and ending. As someone else said, "it has the rhythm and feel of a drama, not of an action-adventure thriller." It's very cinematic, but not very Bond. A Dark Knight melodrama. I could be convinced to put this as my number 1.

3) LTK. For me, it's not just the story, but moreso how its filmed. Too much Miami Vice or something.

4) DAD. It's too artificial and goes too far in fantasyland. Feels more like a cheesy superhero film that's been overloaded with Bond film tropes and relics.

Honorable mentions:

CR. I'm surprised that I'm first to mention it. But I've added it for the obvious reasons. Young Bond in training who falls in love. There are moments like the shower scene, the cardiac arrest scene, or the ball scratching scene (and even the flash of the family picture) that are at a level of rawness/brutality we've not seen before in Bond. (QOS takes this and runs with it.) Then there's the B&W intro and the gunbarrel. Despite all these unorthodox elements, Campbell still makes it feel like a Bond film.

DN. It's here because it's the first. Kind of like CR or QOS, it's got the freshness to it and while it's clearly a Bond film, the pacing is incredibly relaxed compared to the films that follow.

TND. I wouldnt have normally picked it, but the comments here struck a tone. Yes it checks all the boxes, but it's too....American action flick. "Colorless 90's action film.

SP. I cant pinpoint it, but something about it just feels off.

LALD. It definitely has a different vibe about it. I think it's the locations. Typically I associate Bond films with beautiful vacation-setting locations, but that's not the case here.
    To me, this all demonstrates what an unforgivable task the film makers have.

QOS doesn’t feel Bondian because it’s not fantastical enough. But DAD doesn’t feel Bondian because it’s too fantastical. Somehow the film makers have to hit the sweet spot between the two positions.

But, reading other threads here, they also have to hit the sweet spot regarding the villain, the villain’s plot, the number of callbacks to earlier films (too many or not enough), the number of tropes, the music, the women, even the length of the film...

• RyanRyan Canada

Thanks in part to the game, GoldenEye was somewhat of a cultural phenomenon for anybody who grew up in the nineties. Speaking for myself, I know many people from my generation (current late twenties/early thirties) who still reflect on GoldenEye (film and game) very fondly and many who became lifelong Bond fans as a result.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Quantum of Solace and Skyfall (and NSNA)
    The series needs another goldeneye at this point.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Ryan wrote: »

Thanks in part to the game, GoldenEye was somewhat of a cultural phenomenon for anybody who grew up in the nineties. Speaking for myself, I know many people from my generation (current late twenties/early thirties) who still reflect on GoldenEye (film and game) very fondly and many who became lifelong Bond fans as a result.

Absolutely. There is a "GoldenEye Generation" I talked about in The World of GoldenEye. The film is a new classic - for many of us 90s kids it has the effect of Goldfinger and Thunderball.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Ryan wrote: »

Absolutely. There is a "GoldenEye Generation" I talked about in The World of GoldenEye. The film is a new classic - for many of us 90s kids it has the effect of Goldfinger and Thunderball.

\m/ I'm a Goldeneye boomer myself.

Least Bondian film for me: LTK.