The What if thread...M had been re-cast for CR 2006? page 60

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It will be the death of him.
    It would deprive me of one of the pleasures of life I'm limited to every 4-5 years now. We have entire threads devoted to our experiences of seeing a Bond film in the theater for the first time.

Sitting in a darkened theater with a lot of strangers sharing the same experience - laughs, thrills, etc. - with no pause button isn't the same as sitting at home with texts and calls coming in, maybe children interrupting, pausing for a drink and on and on. I love home video and have limitless fond memories of acquiring new films and sets, but it takes any edge off of being anything special as far as premieres of something. It also further extends us into not going out and being with others.

No thanks to series about Felix or Moneypenny or any other supporting character. I watch James Bond for James Bond and if you want to put those characters in those projects I welcome it. But like the never-ending comic book series which I have no interest in, I don't need more Bond, just good, well done Bond in a film with interesting settings, evil villains, memorable action and a great actor as Bond.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    You really think people would stop watching @RichardTheBruce cause I think it might get a younger demo watching the series again. I would be saddened by the fact I would never see a Bond on a Big Screen. I know there is lots of chatter this will happen but I do take solace in the fact that NTTD was shot (at least partially) in IMAX. I think that shows a committment to the big screen.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    BT3366 wrote: »
    It would deprive me of one of the pleasures of life I'm limited to every 4-5 years now. We have entire threads devoted to our experiences of seeing a Bond film in the theater for the first time.

Sitting in a darkened theater with a lot of strangers sharing the same experience - laughs, thrills, etc. - with no pause button isn't the same as sitting at home with texts and calls coming in, maybe children interrupting, pausing for a drink and on and on. I love home video and have limitless fond memories of acquiring new films and sets, but it takes any edge off of being anything special as far as premieres of something. It also further extends us into not going out and being with others.

No thanks to series about Felix or Moneypenny or any other supporting character. I watch James Bond for James Bond and if you want to put those characters in those projects I welcome it. But like the never-ending comic book series which I have no interest in, I don't need more Bond, just good, well done Bond in a film with interesting settings, evil villains, memorable action and a great actor as Bond.

When we do get the green light to go back to theaters, I think there will be more policing: of coughing, temperatures, etc.

But what I really want is more policing of people talking, texting, their cell phones lighting up the theater...it is not the same going to the theater now as it was when I was a child.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I wouldn't miss cinema. In fact, I only go to the cinema to watch the latest James Bond movie to beat the time until it comes out on disk, which also tells you I haven't been in one for almost five years by now. The last non-Bond film I saw at a cinema was the Coen Brothers' Hail Caesar!, but only because it was someone's idea to go with a loose group of friends. It was ok, but I could have done the same as I do with other films: Wait until the Blu-ray disk is cheaper than two cinema tickets. The one before Hail Caesar, by the way, was Indy IV, Crystal Skull, 12 years ago by now. Nothing else drives me into a theater, with people around me playing on their smartphones and eating potato chips (that's crisps for you Brits) from crackling bags and talking loudly.

In other words, I wouldn't miss much if Bond went streaming. I just wouldn't stream along. I haven't streamed yet, have no Netflix, no Amazon, no whatever, including no Spotify and the like. I also don't watch TV and certainly wouldn't spend money for a subscription. As long as Bond comes out on disk, I'll keep deciding whether to buy further instalments, and knowing my drive for completism, they stand a pretty good chance. But other than that, I'll be happy with rewatching the old Bond films on Blu-ray on my 14-ft screen, being able to pause them when I feel like it, for peeing or getting the next drink.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I do believe what is considered an "Official Bond Film" after NTTD will change from what it has been. Just a feeling.
    I do believe what is considered an "Official Bond Film" after NTTD will change from what it has been. Just a feeling.

Care to elaborate?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It will be the death of him.
    thedove wrote: »
    You really think people would stop watching @RichardTheBruce cause I think it might get a younger demo watching the series again. I would be saddened by the fact I would never see a Bond on a Big Screen. I know there is lots of chatter this will happen but I do take solace in the fact that NTTD was shot (at least partially) in IMAX. I think that shows a committment to the big screen.
    Well I wanted to use the line from the trailer, sure, @thedove.

But the producers have been so consistenly successful at the box office and on other levels, it doesn't make sense to veer off track based on the short term. They have their film in the bag. Wait and then release it. Take the long view.

Selling themselves short could put the franchise on a path to an end it wouldn't otherwise he headed for.

Oh I see! LOL! I think there is no question that NTTD will be playing in theatres. My what if was asking what if after NTTD EON sells the franchise to a streaming service.

Would that streaming service approach it like Disney with Star Wars and look for all the IP they can use to create a universe or take characters and expand them into stand alone vehicles.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,526

Care to elaborate?

I think there's a chance the response to this virus may change how movies are distributed, firstly. There will always be movie theatres, I think, but after everything is said and done I think a lot more will go to streaming a lot quicker than it had been doing before.

Aside from all the coronavirus effects as well, this is Craig's last and there are huge gaps between the films even with an actor on board. The process of finding a replacement is going to create even longer delays I think, and it could be 7 or so years until there's a new Bond film, which leads to my third thought...

... that Barbara and EON may want to focus on other projects given that length of time. MGW may not be in as prominent a role as he is now in 7 or 8 years and there's always the possibility that younger generations of the Broccoli family aren't going to be as invested in making Bond films as previous. Babs has shown that she 1) is interested in making projects that are not Bond and 2) she's heavily invested in Craig. If he doesn't return, it may be awhile before Barbara finds the Bond passion again.

At the end of the day I think it's possible that there may be some hidden talent within the community of Bond fans that could put out Bond projects of a very high calibur. The passion is there, and I'm sure among the community, the skill is too. A long gap could be a perfect opportunity to see some of that talent, and, depending on what happens with the franchise in the next decade, could challenge what an 'official' Bond project looks like.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Care to elaborate?

I think there's a chance the response to this virus may change how movies are distributed, firstly. There will always be movie theatres, I think, but after everything is said and done I think a lot more will go to streaming a lot quicker than it had been doing before.

Aside from all the coronavirus effects as well, this is Craig's last and there are huge gaps between the films even with an actor on board. The process of finding a replacement is going to create even longer delays I think, and it could be 7 or so years until there's a new Bond film, which leads to my third thought...

... that Barbara and EON may want to focus on other projects given that length of time. MGW may not be in as prominent a role as he is now in 7 or 8 years and there's always the possibility that younger generations of the Broccoli family aren't going to be as invested in making Bond films as previous. Babs has shown that she 1) is interested in making projects that are not Bond and 2) she's heavily invested in Craig. If he doesn't return, it may be awhile before Barbara finds the Bond passion again.

At the end of the day I think it's possible that there may be some hidden talent within the community of Bond fans that could put out Bond projects of a very high calibur. The passion is there, and I'm sure among the community, the skill is too. A long gap could be a perfect opportunity to see some of that talent, and, depending on what happens with the franchise in the next decade, could challenge what an 'official' Bond project looks like.

I think so, too. I also think the issue of spiraling production costs will likely be addressed, as well. If the variety of studios responsible for the multiple massive blockbusters due out this Summer take a hit on those same projects, it'll stay in their thought processes for years to come. I'm not saying we won't get big films anymore, of course we will - but I do think they'll try and adjust their production processes for big films as well as their distribution methods for small to mid-level ones.
    I pretty much ONLY go to the cinema to see a new Bond film now. Otherwise I see maybe one film every two years. I'm really torn on this.

Care to elaborate?

I have the same feeling. B26 could be some time away. By then the world will probably have changed yet again. Who knows how it will be distributed.

Care to elaborate?

I agree about the points of distribution, and the fact that we might see that studios target streaming one way or the other more than before; it should be an asset for the studios. The gap we're likely facing after NTTD is also an important factor for sure, but I'm not sure I follow the possibility that Bond fans putting out their projects (which will be great, BTW), will challenge what an 'official' Bond project looks like.
    It will be interesting to see how the entertainment industry changes or responds to the crisis. I saw that one studio just postponed 4 releases to 2021 and are avoiding this year entirely. I wonder what happens to NTTD if the Covid restrictions are still in place. Does EON and backers bite the bullet and stream it?
    It will be interesting to see how the entertainment industry changes or responds to the crisis. I saw that one studio just postponed 4 releases to 2021 and are avoiding this year entirely. I wonder what happens to NTTD if the Covid restrictions are still in place. Does EON and backers bite the bullet and stream it?

My money would be on another new release date.

What % of the cinema take would they get by streaming? I'm guessing not that high. So they'll hold out.
    I'm starting to agree with that line of thinking. NTTD will be released after a vaccine comes out...so summer or fall 2021.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I don't think they will stop the theatrical releases until it just isn't profitable anymore. Perhaps this pandemic will forever change the landscape of how films get released and move theaters in general. We shall see. But with Bond, you're almost guaranteed to make a profit. Maybe the smaller films go straight to streaming in the future?

As far as streaming content goes, the only thing I'd be excited to see is if they made a series out of the novels being faithfully adapted. Hell, it would've been nice to have that during the five year wait for NTTD. Perhaps they could actually do this in between actors if this is truly Craig's last and there will be another long wait for the next film.

As much as I get frustrated with the delays, I'm not in a rush to see Eon sell Bond. Look at what happened to Star Wars. Bond could easily end up in the hands of someone who doesn't understand the character and wants to oversaturate the market. Anyway, if they did decide to just stream NTTD I'd be just fine with it honestly. At this point I just want to see the film and don't care if it's in a theater.
    Until a vaccine is found? Life will not return to what we have been accustomed too as normal for some time to come.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Pretty much. It’s going to be a rough time not just for Bond fans but movie fans in general.

Pretty much. It’s going to be a rough time not just for Bond fans but movie fans in general.

Not to mention everyone dying of COVID 19.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    That goes without saying.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    German article about NTTD/Bond in general. It‘s basically says: Please release the film (NTTD) - the world needs James Bond.

https://www.spiegel.de/stil/james-bond-keine-zeit-zu-sterben-die-welt-braucht-bond-gerade-jetzt-a-2af17bde-b272-4e35-8a9e-1c885d88b0ab
    I'm so used to going a long time without new Bond that it doesn't even phase me, really past the initial shock of the pushback. Trying to stay spoiler-free and I can find so many other discussions on here of other Bond-related subjects I can stay content for a while longer.
    If Bond did go 100% streaming would we like to see other content developed? Someone said for a faithful adaption of the novels. What about a Felix Leiter movie? A series about Moneypenny? Maybe a movie or series about another double-0 agent?
    I'd like a Fleabag-like view of MI6 from Moneypenny's perspective. But maybe that's just me.
    I agree with you @echo but that could be cause of my crush on Naomi! :) I always thought a Moneypenny series would be interesting.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    The Felix Leiter Dynamite Comics series would make an interesting mini series. Or even a subplot in a actual Bond movie.
  • 58 years on and following all the problems they've had with NTTD plus the fact a new Bond is required this looks like the time that Eon will accept an offer from one of the streaming services to take on Bond. A sad moment for sure. I've seen all 24 films in the cinema on first run but with Wilson in his mid 70s and Barbara interested in other projects an offer may now be accepted.
    Excellent thoughts and very topical given our current situation! Thanks for everyone's input. I was watching DN with the James Bond and friends podcast! Excellent stuff and I am going to shamelessly rip off...I mean borrow a thought that was shared. I am not sure who vocalized it but one of the friends suggested that if Barry had scored the movie of DN, like the whole movie. This would bump up the films appeal amongst the fans and place it in a higher echelon.

So lets do a musical what if. What if John Barry had scored the entire film of DN? Do you think it would improve the film overall? What would be potentially lost? What say you Mi6? What if John Barry scored DN?