NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Hans Zimmer is reportedly ready with composing, and the recording will begin soon.

Hans Zimmer is reportedly ready with composing, and the recording will begin soon.

Someone on Zimmer's website claims they spoke with Mazzaro, recording is indeed happening next week, and it's just Zimmer and Mazzaro doing the entire score, as opposed to Zimmer and a mix of other RCP folks.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    So what is Mazzaro's role in all this? Is he an orchestrator filling in the gaps of Zimmer's suites à la Dodd to Arnold?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    So what is Mazzaro's role in all this? Is he an orchestrator filling in the gaps of Zimmer's suites à la Dodd to Arnold?

I'd imagine he's picking up the slack writing wise, while Zimmer focuses on the biggest moments.
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia

He's the Miss Grace to Zimmer's Dame Sally Markham :D
    Eiragorn wrote: »

Wish I got the reference.

Little Britain reference.

Little Britain reference.

Ah right. Only ever watched one episode a few years back.

I'd imagine he's picking up the slack writing wise, while Zimmer focuses on the biggest moments.
    Or they throw ideas in the pot and pick the best ones. Could very well be that they each work on it whenever they have the time, and throw ideas in the pot. Since they likey work a lot with computers and electronic files, one can easily continue the work of the other. After all, Zimmer is busy jumping between at least four huge projects, isn´t he? So I never supected he will compose NTTD all on his own.
    boldfinger wrote: »

Or they throw ideas in the pot and pick the best ones. Could very well be that they each work on it whenever they have the time, and throw ideas in the pot. Since they likey work a lot with computers and electronic files, one can easily continue the work of the other. After all, Zimmer is busy jumping between at least four huge projects, isn´t he? So I never supected he will compose NTTD all on his own.

I think he's already finished a couple of his projects due for the year already, so he's not really bouncing between them. I believe he's firmly focused on Bond, and from what I know of the way he works I think what I posted above is the most likely scenario. Zimmer will likely sketch down the main motifs, themes, compose the suites (which are now completed), and then move on to fitting them into the picture; he will take most of the core scenes and Mazzaro will handle additional music and use Zimmer's suites as a basis for his own work.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Weird (and slightly disrespectful) though they seemed, Fukunaga’s Instagram posts in the edit room certainly showed that Zimmer really is hands-on with this one.
    mtm wrote: »
    Weird (and slightly disrespectful) though they seemed, Fukunaga’s Instagram posts in the edit room certainly showed that Zimmer really is hands-on with this one.
    At least for a few minutes.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Zimmer might be the first composer since David Arnold to be excited to score a Bond film....so I think he's going to do the bulk of the score. Maybe Zimmer never thought he would get to score a Bond film....that's why he made inception so great....but here he is, with the chance to score a proper Bond film....and am guessing he might even want to top inception's score....which feels like a daunting task right now....but it's Zimmer, can't say he can't.
    So........ who is going to the scoring session???????
  • Hoping Zimmer impresses me, I don't want to feel like it's just another Zimmer score.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I'd say, that Zimmer's euphoric reactions would indicate, that it will not be *just another* Hans Zimmer score. Hopefully.
  • http://hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=rcpmember&numid=144

Steve Mazzaro has a NTTD credit on Hans' website, citing "additional music".
    Station_Z wrote: »
    http://hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=rcpmember&numid=144

Steve Mazzaro has a NTTD credit on Hans' website, citing "additional music".

There you go.
    Just wondering how many tracks Zimmer's score will have....since the film is around the 3hr mark.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Just wondering how many tracks Zimmer's score will have....since the film is around the 3hr mark.

Oooo, forgot about that. This could be the longest sound track of the series. I am excited for this.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,007

I'd say 50-60mins of music, over 12-15 tracks.

Zimmer's scores are usually given expanded releases later, followed by a leak of the full sessions minus his suites.

Zimmer's scores are usually given expanded releases later, followed by a leak of the full sessions minus his suites.

Yeah, can't bet again this....Zimmer does that....although, I would have wanted 20+ tracks before the expanded or complete score arrives.

Yeah, can't bet again this....Zimmer does that....although, I would have wanted 20+ tracks before the expanded or complete score arrives.

You never know. His approach to this could be different. But I definitely think we'll be getting things like a Safin suite and a Nomi suite.

You never know. His approach to this could be different. But I definitely think we'll be getting things like a Safin suite and a Nomi suite.

Yeah, true....maybe even something like 'The James Bond Suite' as well.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    For the first time in a long time I'm genuinely excited for a Bond score. I had worries for Skyfall but I was happy enough with Skyfall's music. Not enough to want Newman around for a number of films, but I do enjoy the score. I was really let down by the SPECTRE score so it was truly music to my ears to know he wasn't returning. I realize the reuse of Skyfall cues in SPECTRE wasn't all on Newman, but it was still a very underwhelming experience. That's not to disrespect Newman's work or talent. I just don't think he was right for Bond.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Ryan wrote: »
    For the first time in a long time I'm genuinely excited for a Bond score. I had worries for Skyfall but I was happy enough with Skyfall's music. Not enough to want Newman around for a number of films, but I do enjoy the score. I was really let down by the SPECTRE score so it was truly music to my ears to know he wasn't returning. I realize the reuse of Skyfall cues in SPECTRE wasn't all on Newman, but it was still a very underwhelming experience. That's not to disrespect Newman's work or talent. I just don't think he was right for Bond.

Yeah, true...I think Newman was better with the romantic & quieter pieces....with tracks like 'Severine', 'Donna Lucia', 'Secret Room' amongst others....and I also think 'Old Dog, New Tricks'...is one of Newman's Best, if not his Best Bond track...even if it was rejected. A great deal of his action music felt like noise-making to me....I know Newman is Mendes' friend....but I can't help but think Mendes should have done the wise thing by pairing Arnold & Newman....am sure the scores would have been much better....with Arnold focusing on Action & Newman on emotion....I can't wait to hear the first few seconds of a Zimmer Bond track.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I vastly prefer Newman's action tracks to Arnold's, so I'm glad Mendes never brought Arnold on board.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,007
    Ryan wrote: »

Yeah, true...I think Newman was better with the romantic & quieter pieces....with tracks like 'Severine', 'Donna Lucia', 'Secret Room' amongst others....and I also think 'Old Dog, New Tricks'...is one of Newman's Best, if not his Best Bond track...even if it was rejected. A great deal of his action music felt like noise-making to me....I know Newman is Mendes' friend....but I can't help but think Mendes should have done the wise thing by pairing Arnold & Newman....am sure the scores would have been much better....with Arnold focusing on Action & Newman on emotion....I can't wait to hear the first few seconds of a Zimmer Bond track.

Same here on all counts except the collaboration idea. Though in theory there's logic to what you're saying, one consistent voice is usually better for a project.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 440
    I always felt that Newman's action tracks felt a bit samey and never really matched the eccentricity of his other work. That might have been an EON thing, or it could possibly have been of his own volition.

I actually thought his action work for The Good German and Lemony Snicket or even Mendes' Jarhead was far more interesting and, if not actually Barry-like, then certainly not generic and far more original than what ended up in the movie.
  • Yeah I didn't dig Newman's action tracks at all. Made me miss Arnold.

His other tracks on the SF score have a few gems though.