NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Univex wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Have a feeling Zimmer's just being nice....he could actually be taking inspiration from scores like OHMSS & TLD.

At the same time, it makes more sense to use Thomas Newman's scores as a source of inspiration rather than any of John Barry's past scores because the reality is that John Barry never scored a Daniel Craig film. EON likely wants to maintain some musical continuity between films hence why Newman was using David Arnold's arrangement of the Bond theme.

But that's all supposition. For all we know Zimmer may be making the most John Barry sounding soundtrack that Bond has ever had since 1987, but I personally have my doubts. I still look forward to what he ultimately delivers.

Yeah, all true....I really do want a Stellar Bond Score though, especially after the long wait....i think the music of Bond is the biggest when it comes to film music. Coz i can't think of a movie franchise where fans worry about it's music like Bond fans do.
    It is very odd. Yet how much does the score impact the final verdict of the film?
    • Why do fans prefer FYEO over MR but the latter has the better score?
    • Why do fans consider GE to be Brosnan's best Bond film when the score is considered the worst of the four?
    • Why do so many fans prefer LTK over TLD when the score of TLD is so much better?

Yes we want a great score, its only natural, but it will have very little impact on our final assessment of the film.

I prefer TLD over LTK

Me too. And one is miles and miles apart from the other, in every regard.

I'd agree with this, for me there is a wide margin between TLD and LTK and the score being definitely being one of the highlights is not the only reason I think this.
  • RC7RC7
    Also agree. TLD has a majestic score. As for the film itself, I will accept the second half struggles to maintain the brilliance of the first which, in my opinion, is arguably the finest hour of Bond you’ll find.
    mtm wrote: »
    Have a feeling Zimmer's just being nice....he could actually be taking inspiration from scores like OHMSS & TLD.

At the same time, it makes more sense to use Thomas Newman's scores as a source of inspiration rather than any of John Barry's past scores because the reality is that John Barry never scored a Daniel Craig film. EON likely wants to maintain some musical continuity between films hence why Newman was using David Arnold's arrangement of the Bond theme.

But that's all supposition. For all we know Zimmer may be making the most John Barry sounding soundtrack that Bond has ever had since 1987, but I personally have my doubts. I still look forward to what he ultimately delivers.

Yeah, all true....I really do want a Stellar Bond Score though, especially after the long wait....i think the music of Bond is the biggest when it comes to film music. Coz i can't think of a movie franchise where fans worry about it's music like Bond fans do.
    It is very odd. Yet how much does the score impact the final verdict of the film?
    • Why do fans consider GE to be Brosnan's best Bond film when the score is considered the worst of the four?
    • Why do so many fans prefer LTK over TLD when the score of TLD is so much better?

Yes we want a great score, its only natural, but it will have very little impact on our final assessment of the film.

I prefer TLD over LTK

What about Dirty Love by Tim Feehan? JOKING!!!

It’s no ‘Make It Last All Night’ by Rage.

A classic!
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,006
    RC7 wrote: »
    Also agree. TLD has a majestic score. As for the film itself, I will accept the second half struggles to maintain the brilliance of the first which, in my opinion, is arguably the finest hour of Bond you’ll find.

I kind of love this about TLD though- the first half is an incredible Bond film and the second half is almost like Indiana Jones. Moonraker is the same way except second half is Star Wars.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I thought the second half was more like LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

I prefer TLD over LTK

I'll see your 'Make it last all night' by Rage and raise you...

Nina - Do you know how Christmas trees are grown..

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fZewG-NUJ7M
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 137
    TMWTGG is also a great soundtrack, it's a bit of a forgotten gem. Also, Hips Trip from TMWTGG is sequenced in the Prodigy track Mindfields, Barry apparently gave his permission.

As precise as one can be about it. Love it, it's in my top 10, but I rarely watch the second half, let alone the 3rd act.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Sometimes Barry's TLD feels like 2 scores in 1....it's that good.
    I'd even argue three scores in one. The two Pretenders songs plus a-ha's excellent title theme all had great melodic content. Any one of those songs by themselves would have lent well to the score but three main themes? Barry truly was brilliant.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.

I prefer TLD over LTK

I'll see your 'Make it last all night' by Rage and raise you...

Nina - Do you know how Christmas trees are grown..

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fZewG-NUJ7M

In the German version this song is called "Wovon träumt der Weihnachtsmann im Mai?" ("What does Santa Clause drean about in May?" and sung by a singer named Katja.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 2,596
    The Living Daylights is my favourite Bond film along with FRWL and OHMSS. It’s my favourite post 60’s Bond film. The whole movie is fantastic but I agree that the first half is better than the second. I love the Cold War Europe feel to it. The scenes in Bratislava are the best for me. The best scene being Koskov’s defection. Helped nonetheless by Barry’s amazing score which is also one of my favourites.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Am not certain, but I think Zimmer might do choir sections for the score, since Zimmer likes featuring vocals in his scores....and some Bond scores have used the choir....I liked how it was used in TND & DAD.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Ryan wrote: »
    The TLD soundtrack is a masterpiece - there's something really accomplished about it. Especially some of the expanded cues like when Bond is drugged. Barry just had a knack for these almost throwaway bits of genius. I'd love to see expanded versions of all the soundtracks, I especially love the microchip/pegasus wins/To Paris cue from AVTAK, Tibbet get's washed out and the Butterfly show.

Barry truly went out on a high note. The Living Daylights is probably my second favourite of the Barry scores only topped by OHMSS. I love his use of sequencers during his principle arrangement of the themes during the action cues. Magnificent.

This.

Unfortunately, being a Bond fan can sometimes diminish the experience of watching a Bond film, IMO. I personally feel that a soundtrack doesn't make or break a film, it merely enhances the viewing experience. Obviously, we all hope for an amazing soundtrack! I'm in the minority of people who like Eric Serras soundtrack for Goldeneye, but do I think it would be better with a more traditional score? No. I don't like Thomas Newman scores, but my dislike for the films he composed for isn't due to his involvement. The quality of a film is based upon far more then the music that accompanies it. I have no doubt that a composer with the resume of Hans Zimmer will bring a classic Bond sound to No Time To Die.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Am not certain, but I think Zimmer might do choir sections for the score, since Zimmer likes featuring vocals in his scores....and some Bond scores have used the choir....I liked how it was used in TND & DAD.

Oh, that would be so great... I know this particular track has been overused to death on all sorts of promo clips, but I really love it. Something akin to this would be amazing!

Oh, that would be so great... I know this particular track has been overused to death on all sorts of promo clips, but I really love it. Something akin to this would be amazing!

Exactly...Pfeifer Broz's Music for CR's trailer....There's every chance Zimmer's Score could have this vibe.

Yep. The first half of that film is stellar. The second half drops off, while still having great moments.

I am heading to Karachi this weekend by the way. I hope I find that restaurant. Wish me luck.
    Good luck. :)
  • Just listening to the TLD soundtrack on vinyl - what a fantastic score! An energetic opener, three unique melodic themes, and great tension throughout. I so wish they could compose something similar again, but am not holding my hopes up.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I heard this on the radio earlier today, and whilst it’s not exactly TLD(!) I did quite enjoy the thought of a Bond that sounds as big as this. I dunno, I think it could be fun, and this isn’t normally to my taste.

I heard this on the radio earlier today, and whilst it’s not exactly TLD(!) I did quite enjoy the thought of a Bond that sounds as big as this. I dunno, I think it could be fun, and this isn’t normally to my taste.

Yeah, Zimmer's Man of steel is an epic score....to be honest, a great deal of why am excited for NTTD....is Zimmer's Score.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I love Man of Steel.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There was a sort of repeated big brass motif in the middle of that track that even sounded a bit Bondy, I thought. I can definitely see him working well for this.
    I've always felt Zimmer had the Bond sound in him right from the beginning. There's a theme he created for John Travolta's Major Deakins in Broken Arrow. The track has this electric guitar thing about it....and it's just so cool for a Villian. One of the reasons am excited that Zimmer's scoring NTTD is, he's fond of creating themes for characters....apart from what he'll do with Bond's Character, and other characters, Safin is almost certain to have a memorable theme.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I've always felt Zimmer had the Bond sound in him right from the beginning. There's a theme he created for John Travolta's Major Deakins in Broken Arrow. The track has this electric guitar thing about it....and it's just so cool for a Villian. One of the reasons am excited that Zimmer's scoring NTTD is, he's fond of creating themes for characters....apart from what he'll do with Bond's Character, and other characters, Safin is almost certain to have a memorable theme.

Yepp, like the BROKEN ARROW soundtrack as well. And the guy playing the guitar was Duane Eddy.

Yepp, like the BROKEN ARROW soundtrack as well. And the guy playing the guitar was Duane Eddy.

My favourite Zimmer score to this day. Absolutely balls to the wall, catchy action cues, brimming with personality.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I love Man of Steel.

Epic movie and epic score.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,861

Was it really? Good fact! That’s a lot of fun, I wonder how that came about. Hans obviously likes his guitar legends!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    I love Man of Steel.

Epic movie and epic score.

I agree, i put the Soundtrack on this morning when I went for a jog. I felt like the fate of the World depended on me finishing my run in time :))

And for a Zimmer score it's quite melodic. I hope to hear lot's of that in NTTD
    So looks like Steve Mazzaro who did The Rhythm Section is helping Hans on the score
    antovolk wrote: »
    So looks like Steve Mazzaro who did The Rhythm Section is helping Hans on the score

Role reversal from THE RHYTHM SECTION.