Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

1454647484951»

Comments

• I rewatched the Dark Knight Rises last night. It was better than I remember. However, it got me thinking about the timeline.

How long does the Christian Bale Batman actually operate as Batman before he goes into hiding at the end of the dark knight? A couple of years? Longer?
    I rewatched the Dark Knight Rises last night. It was better than I remember. However, it got me thinking about the timeline.

How long does the Christian Bale Batman actually operate as Batman before he goes into hiding at the end of the dark knight? A couple of years? Longer?

Weirdly I was talking about this with someone the other day. Joker apparently says during the scene with the gangsters that one year ago the cops and lawyers wouldn’t cross them. So maybe it’s even about a year and a bit? I dunno.
  • Yes, I thought of that line as well. However, you could take that as Batman having to work for a bit before that year period to make an impact. There's also the reference to locking up all the money launderers and Dent's overall impact. That would realistically take more than a year.

I know its just a movie but it's not that clear.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Just as Hans Zimmer eventually scored a Bond film, Nolan would still end up directing a Bond....even if it isn't Bond 26, Nolan is likely direct Bond 7 in one of his films or more.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Just as Hans Zimmer eventually scored a Bond film, Nolan would still end up directing a Bond....even if it isn't Bond 26, Nolan is likely direct Bond 7 in one of his films or more.

@SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷
    Why? I don't get it. Why is he likely to ever direct a Bond film? Because he's popular? Because he's won an Oscar? Because he's British? Because of all of these things combined?

Then what about other popular British Oscar-winning directors who never directed a Bond film?

I don't understand this strange epidemic of wishful-thinking turned into future-telling.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited April 9 Posts: 1,368
    DarthDimi wrote: »

@SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷
    Why? I don't get it. Why is he likely to ever direct a Bond film? Because he's popular? Because he's won an Oscar? Because he's British? Because of all of these things combined?

Then what about other popular British Oscar-winning directors who never directed a Bond film?

I don't understand this strange epidemic of wishful-thinking turned into future-telling.

Hahaha! I understand @DarthDimi I think he's just a very big fish like Zimmer. So I feel at some point it would happen. Yeah, him being British and an Oscar winner helps....plus, he's a huge Bond fan. So at some point, a Bond direction EON wants would need him.

How many of them have ever directed any big, globetrotting action-adventure film?

How many of them have ever directed any big, globetrotting action-adventure film?

How many Bond directors have, before doing Bond? Certainly not Campbell, Mendes, Fukunaga, Apted, Forster, ... Coming off big productions doesn't seem all that important to EON.

How many Bond directors have, before doing Bond? Certainly not Campbell, Mendes, Fukunaga, Apted, Forster, ... Coming off big productions doesn't seem all that important to EON.

Even in the classic era Hamilton, Gilbert and Young were more known for drama films and certainly hadn’t done anything all that epic (which is quite ironic considering how some complain about Bond directors nowadays being ‘arthouse’ filmmakers). Hunt and Glen were even first time directors.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited April 9 Posts: 8,025

Especially since they’ve always relied on second units to handle a lot of the action stuff since, um… 1962. Eon usually does go for directors who’ve worked outside of the action genre.

I think one exception you could make is John Glen, because he started off as a editor/second unit director that got promoted to director. That’s why his films feel the most plain out of Cubby’s run. They’re very meat and potatoes without much style to them, because Glen had always been more of a technical director than an actor’s director, which is partly why I think Dalton struggled working with him.

Then again there’s Peter Hunt, who went through the same exact process, but I think he had a more notable creative footprint there than Glen.
    007HallY wrote: »

Even in the classic era Hamilton, Gilbert and Young were more known for drama films and certainly hadn’t done anything all that epic (which is quite ironic considering how some complain about Bond directors nowadays being ‘arthouse’ filmmakers). Hunt and Glen were even first time directors.

Yes, thank you, @007HallY. Kershner is one of the very few "Bond directors" who ever got involved in something big before their Bond gig. Even Tamahori hadn't done a lot of big stuff prior to DAD.
    NSNA is such an odd duck because it has a very impressive filmmaking pedigree across the board that would make you think they’ll show Eon how it’s done… but then we get what we got in NSNA.

Yes, thank you, @007HallY. Kershner is one of the very few "Bond directors" who ever got involved in something big before their Bond gig. Even Tamahori hadn't done a lot of big stuff prior to DAD.

Didn't think about that but that's very true! It's rather odd considering just how underwhelming NSNA is in terms of visual spectacle.

Didn't think about that but that's very true! It's rather odd considering just how underwhelming NSNA is in terms of visual spectacle.

Either Kersh was only doing what Lucas told him, or NSNA really had a crappy production going on and he got screwed out of the time, budget and talent he needed to get that film made.

It really is a mystery to me. After TESB, you'd expect a TB readaptation to go smoothly, right? No. If the film had been made by Al Adamson, I'd have blamed it all on him. But Kerschner, though? Yeah, I don't get it. I never did.

Either Kersh was only doing what Lucas told him, or NSNA really had a crappy production going on and he got screwed out of the time, budget and talent he needed to get that film made.

Gotta be production. Connery realized Jack Schwartzman wasn’t up to the task during the making of the movie and wasn’t quiet about it.

Even though ROBOCOP 2 isn’t anywhere near the original, I think Kersh managed to keep it entertaining. The big issue with that was more on the script than anything else. But it LOOKS so much nicer than NSNA.

Gotta be production. Connery realized Jack Schwartzman wasn’t up to the task during the making of the movie and wasn’t quiet about it.

Even though ROBOCOP 2 isn’t anywhere near the original, I think Kersh managed to keep it entertaining. The big issue with that was more on the script than anything else. But it LOOKS so much nicer than NSNA.

Yeah, I agree with that. Rococo had its flaws but the film works better for me than NSNA.