Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2019 Posts: 12,459
    People are outraged. Uh huh. People are demanding EON to own up to its sins, its affront to us longtime Bond fans and give us what we want. More of the same.

Well. It's baffling, disappointing, and also bloody boring now to read people yammering about how awful a female 007, of any color, would be. No matter how much screen time she has, becomes permanent 007, takes over the series from Craig, or is temporarily assigned that 00 number. Etc. It's this kind of spewing and overreacting that puts a huge blot on Bond as a community. It's a shame, really.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited July 2019 Posts: 2,541
    00Agent wrote: »
    Apparently we are fighting against windmills here, but for all the sane people out there,
    what more do you need than having Lea and Ana confirm to you that the film will have 'sex' and 'sexiness everywhere'? (don't wait to hear that on a marvel press junket anytime soon)

Personally i don't need much else.
    3:40

Will Lea and Ana indulge in some yabadabadoo.... That would make me very happy :D
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Apparently we are fighting against windmills here, but for all the sane people out there,
    what more do you need than having Lea and Ana confirm to you that the film will have 'sex' and 'sexiness everywhere'? (don't wait to hear that on a marvel press junket anytime soon)

Personally i don't need much else.
    3:40

Will Lea and Ana indulge in some yabadabadoo.... That would make me very happy :D
    12447833-0e94-42f6-a3ec-7d89abbcac72_text_hi.gif
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    People are outraged. Uh huh. People are demanding EON to own up to its sins, its affront to us longtime Bond fans and give us what we want. More of the same.

Well. It's baffling, disappointing, and also bloody boring now to read people yammering about how awful a female 007, of any color, would be. No matter how much screen time she has, becomes permanent 007, takes over the series from Craig, or is temporarily assigned that 00 number. Etc. It's this kind of spewing and overreacting that puts a huge blot on Bond as a community. It's a shame, really.

I think that horse bolted when a load of folk lost their mind about Bond’s hair colour changing in 2005. Us Bond fans are, sadly, a pretty stupid bunch.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185
    mtm wrote: »

I think that horse bolted when a load of folk lost their mind about Bond’s hair colour changing in 2005. Us Bond fans are, sadly, a pretty stupid bunch.

We didn't even have smartphones back then, social media wasn't really a thing yet. Imagine the outrage today.
    Possible tabloid headlines:
    "James Bond falls in love for real and quits Mi6!"

"Greaaaat job EoN, another 80 million dollar write-off!! You sold out to the PC police and Hollywood feminists!!!!1!! You just killed James Bond!" *fake tears and outrage*

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2019 Posts: 14,951

We didn't even have smartphones back then, social media wasn't really a thing yet. Imagine the outrage today.

"Greaaaat job EoN, another 80 million dollar write-off!! You sold out to the PC police and Hollywood feminists!!!!1!! You just killed James Bond!" *fake tears and outrage*

Don't forget that it features two portions of the film where Bond isn't 007! Oh my God!!

Makes you wonder if Eon were taking the mick out of their own fans when they called a film 'Skyfall': satirising those folk who act like the sky is falling every time they make a tiny change.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185

Don't forget that it features two portions of the film where Bond isn't 007! Oh my God!!

Makes you wonder if Eon were taking the mick out of their own fans when they called a film 'Skyfall': satirising those folk who act like the sky is falling every time they make a tiny change.

Imagine those same people watch LTK (where Bond is 007 only for the first 20min, Cubby Broccoli approved) and reminisce about how everything was better back then lol.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Fans always overreact to the films trying something new or different.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    New or different doesn't always equal good.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Mark my words. The end is nigh!
  • Murdock wrote: »

No, but "the same old thing" eventually equals bland and boring. That's why creative types so often try out N&D.
    Murdock wrote: »

No, but "the same old thing" eventually equals bland and boring. That's why creative types so often try out N&D.

And what same old thing would you be referring to?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    There comes a point where "new and different" makes the product in question, something else entirely.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Mark my words. The end is nigh!

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    WeeklyHonestIzuthrush-max-1mb.gif
    winter+is+coming.gif
  • There comes a point where "new and different" makes the product in question, something else entirely.

Granted. It's a fine line to walk, having an existing property like Bond, 50 years+ in existence and still packing in the paying customers. Which is why we should cherish the series whichever side of the line it happens to be at in any given moment.
  • Murdock wrote: »

There was a point in time when it was popular to criticize "Tomorrow Never Dies" as being a "check all the boxes" entry into the Bond canon. Now, I like TND -- but that particular critique demonstrates the sort of flaw I'm talking about. A "paint by the numbers" approach to crafting the product. For my own tastes, I'd saw that "Spectre" was too much of the same old thing -- and the movie suffered for it.

There was a point in time when it was popular to criticize "Tomorrow Never Dies" as being a "check all the boxes" entry into the Bond canon. Now, I like TND -- but that particular critique demonstrates the sort of flaw I'm talking about. A "paint by the numbers" approach to crafting the product. For my own tastes, I'd saw that "Spectre" was too much of the same old thing -- and the movie suffered for it.

I don't really see how TND was anything like Spectre. For me, TND was a classic Bond formula movie and there was nothing wrong with that. Granted TND was the second Bond movie I had ever seen so I always enjoyed it for what it was. Sure that's not to everybody's tastes but then again, that kind of Bond movie hasn't been made since 1999.

Sure Spectre tried to be more of the same but it's execution was bungled by Mendes who bungled up a lot about Spectre. That's the fault of Mendes, not the Bond formula. Frankly, I'd say this more, gritty, realistic approach Bond is more of the same after 14 years at this point and I wouldn't mind a return to the classic Bond formula that hasn't been seen for 20 years.
  • "Spectre" was touted as being a "return to the classic Bond formula." That's pretty much why it crashed & burned. Blame Mendes if you want, blame Craig if you prefer, blame Purvis & Wade (plenty of others have, for every Bond movie made since before the turn of the century.) I'm not blaming ANYbody, I'm just saying, let's let a movie get released before we critique it.

And BTW, I wasn't saying that TND was anything like Spectre. I cited reasons that both have been tarred with the same brush, which is not really the same thing.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 16,330
    "Spectre" was touted as being a "return to the classic Bond formula." That's pretty much why it crashed & burned. Blame Mendes if you want, blame Craig if you prefer, blame Purvis & Wade (plenty of others have, for every Bond movie made since before the turn of the century.) I'm not blaming ANYbody, I'm just saying, let's let a movie get released before we critique it.

And BTW, I wasn't saying that TND was anything like Spectre. I cited reasons that both have been tarred with the same brush, which is not really the same thing.

Hardly. Spectre wasn't much a return to the classic Bond formula anyway. Just a thinly veiled attempt to be using tricks like the OHMSS theme in the trailer to lure people in. Spectre's issues weren't it's attempt to be a classic Bond film. It's how those elements were executed. Going back to a more classic style Bond film in 2019 is a novel idea. Making Blofeld, Bond's foster brother. (A new and different idea.) is just plain stupid.

I'm not judging Bond 25 yet. But that doesn't mean I have to like ideas about it that have been presented for public discussion. I'm not a fan of Rami Malek but I don't think the movie is going to be a trainwreck because he was cast.

Just because a franchise tries new and different ideas doesn't mean those ideas are good. That's what I'm saying.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well Spectre was "touted" and spouted on forum as a return to "classic formula" ... whether it ended up that way or not. I don't think it did.
  • I don't think it did either -- and I'd certainly agree that the idea of Blofeld being Bond's foster brother was a foolish notion. But the point is, SP was INTENDED to be a return to classic formula. I'd suggest that Craig's more successful Bond outings (CR and SF) have been those intended to stretch the envelope, and I suspect that as a creative artist, he's more interested in envelope stretching than in returning to classic formulas. You may just need to wait for the next fellow if that's what you're yearning for...
    Ana was photographed in LA yesterday.....we are only halfway through filming, so helpful she returns soon.

EA0FlPnX4AQ4xcu?format=jpg&name=large

Meanwhile, Rami was filming in NYC yesterday

The so called "classic formula" doesn't always equal good either.

I don't know, it's had a pretty great batting average so far.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 3,168

In this case - for me - it's quite the opposite.

Everyone - my family, friends, coworkers - know that I am a huge Bond fan. The last month I have been confronted with a lot of angry people asking me "what's up with this PC turning Bond into a woman-stuff?" They don't know better and are clearly overreacting because of some headlines.

I try to keep my cool. I tell them that Craig is in the movie, Bond is retired from the get-go, and that 007 being a woman is therefore only temporary.

I have never experienced people that angry about a movie before. They are not even Bond fans, but just casual moviegoers.
    Zekidk wrote: »

Everyone - my family, friends, coworkers - know that I am a huge Bond fan. The last month I have been confronted with a lot of angry people asking me "what's up with this PC turning Bond into a woman-stuff?" They don't know better and are clearly overreacting because of some headlines.

I try to keep my cool. I tell them that Craig is in the movie, Bond is retired from the get-go, and that 007 being a woman is therefore only temporary.

I have never experienced people that angry about a movie before. They are not even Bond fans, but just casual moviegoers.

Same here, people are sending me news articles about this too, even though they are not Bond fans themselves, thinking that i would freak out about it.

But only a couple month ago, when i met people and talked about the new Bond film, i often got the reaction "What, Idris Elba is not the new Bond?!"

So it is what it is.
    People are not informed and are getting triggered daily by BS on their Twitter and FB feeds.

I saw people on youtube only yesterday, thinking that Lachana Lynch is the lead character in B25, i don't think these people even knew that Craig is in it.

People don't take the time to inform themselves, they rather be angry. More fun i guess.

I don't know, it's had a pretty great batting average so far.

For me it's what hindered the films in the later years, particularly during the Brosnan era, an era I couldn't connect to as a kid growing up because it felt so cookie cutter. Those latter three films had really strong concepts that could have made very interesting installments. TWINE had the most potential, but God forbid Bond doesn't end up alone at the end after killing Elektra. He has to have a Roger Moore type ending with the MI6 watching him shag as he spouts out an awful double entendre, because that's the "classic formula".

But I get it. The experiment with LTK was very rough for MGM/EON, so with Brosnan they opted to flirt with interesting concepts but ultimately play it safe. Whatever my feelings of Craig's run, I'm much more appreciative of EON trying to do something different, with SKYFALL being the highlight.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 19,339
    I haven't seen Malek act in anything before so i'm going in to this with an open mind,looking forward to experiencing him,all I've heard are good things said about him.

Re all this negative bickering on here,we should be grateful we are 8 months from a Bond film coming out,and after that who knows ,it might go back to being every 2 years,we will have the #7 007 coming in,hopefully Universal still backing EON,so its all positive.

BOND IS BACK PEOPLE !!!!!!!!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    BOND IS BACK PEOPLE !!!!!!!!
    \m/
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 3,126
    Anybody watch haphazard stuff 007 reaction video?