No Time To Die - Safin's Plot (Spoilers!)

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Main Titles finish. Transition to MI6 and M's office.

M to Bond: We must find out who's behind this plot to benefit from the rising sea levels.
    Title Card: One year later.

M to Bond: OO7, things are getting serious. Experts predict a rise of 2.5 centimeters on the Thames in the next 10 years time.
    Title Card: Five years later still.

M to Bond: Minor setback that unexpected pushback from the rowers and sailing clubs. But we have our orders.
    Title Card: Ten years on.

M to Bond: Dammit, Bond, we need action! We're approaching mandatory retirement the both of us!

• NectouxNectoux São Paulo, Brazil
    More than half of the world's oxygen is produced by algae. Genetically modifying them to mess with that can be as terrifying as the near nuclear armageddon of the Cold War. That ties both the genetic warfare and algae farm rumors. More so, phytoplankton are the basis of all ocean life. I'm very excited about this plot possibility.

Safin could be studying algae genomes to modify their structure in order to release on oceans species that will, over time, kill the original organisms and mess with the world's oceans, their lives and our oxygen supplies.

And there's more: The Gulf of Mexico, where Cuba is located, and specially there, was already studied by the Soviets between 1960-1980 about its phytoplankton production.
  • DrinmanDrinman New York
    Nectoux wrote: »
    More than half of the world's oxygen is produced by algae. Genetically modifying them to mess with that can be as terrifying as the near nuclear armageddon of the Cold War. That ties both the genetic warfare and algae farm rumors. More so, phytoplankton are the basis of all ocean life. I'm very excited about this plot possibility.

Safin could be studying algae genomes to modify their structure in order to release on oceans species that will, over time, kill the original organisms and mess with the world's oceans, their lives and our oxygen supplies.

And there's more: The Gulf of Mexico, where Cuba is located, and specially there, was already studied by the Soviets between 1960-1980 about its phytoplankton production.

In my opinion this would be an awesome modern day example of villian tries to destroy the world plot without it being another retread of a nuclear weapon, space weapon or some type of start WWIII scenario.

Drinman wrote: »

In my opinion this would be an awesome modern day example of villian tries to destroy the world plot without it being another retread of a nuclear weapon, space weapon or some type of start WWIII scenario.

My question, now, is: Why?

I'm not sure they would make Safin just the villain that wish to destroy the world. It can't be that "simple". It would tie better with Craig's era some kind of obscure interest for him and Spectre onto this kind of "dangerous new technology".

This premise with a good "why" and we'll have a hell of a good ride.
  • RC7RC7

Also, isn’t the engineering of algae related to the production of bio-fuels? Perhaps the ‘legitimate’ front is the production of a new bio-fuel, with a naturally sinister underlying threat.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Last night I saw a commercial that was touting the potential for algae to be used as a fuel, if this were to be implemented with a sudden leap in technology, what would it do to the fossil fuel supported economy, particularly if a single power possessed it ?

https://www.energy.gov/eere/videos/energy-101-algae-fuel
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    @RC7 Lol, I absolutely posted this without seeing your previous post, great minds.
    It's 100% clear that Safin is the one in that Cabin scene and also in the brief shot in the teaser. The puffy hooded coat is the giveaway. Also with his stunt double and movement coach being in the photos it is clearly him in that scene.

There was an interview in I believe a German magazine back in May where Barbara said the villain had a personal connection to one of the characters.

I was guessing that this connection is that Safin's father was the man in the mask and is killed by Young Madeline, with Safin being out for revenge and just now catching up to her. This would tie in with the train scene in Spectre.

But now that the man in the mask is prominently featured in the teaser, it is clear to me it is Safin in the present day, though that means I have no clue who the girl is. Is she his child with Madeline? Thereby explaining Baraba's reference to a personal connection between him and one of the characters.
    is

How does any of this fit into the larger plot?
  • High res photo of Safin here (copy the url):

EK3S6M3WoAM8mmK?format=jpg&name=large

Costume looks suitably villainous - he must have shopped in the same place Silva bought his jackets.

But notice Malek's face. It's clear he has had some serious scarring on his face and over time the skin is no longer smooth.

vjtiu491oitcq8skkes8

Notice how it is the same cheek that the guy in this picture (who was confirmed to be Malek’s stunt-double) is scarred on…..
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited December 2019 Posts: 45,489
    High res photo of Safin here (copy the url):

Costume looks suitably villainous - he must have shopped in the same place Silva bought his jackets.

But notice Malek's face. It's clear he has had some serious scarring on his face and over time the skin is no longer smooth.

vjtiu491oitcq8skkes8

Notice how it is the same cheek that the guy in this picture (who was confirmed to be Malek’s stunt-double) is scarred on…..

It is the opposite side.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 3,164
    ertert wrote: »
    It's 100% clear that Safin is the one in that Cabin scene and also in the brief shot in the teaser. The puffy hooded coat is the giveaway. Also with his stunt double and movement coach being in the photos it is clearly him in that scene.

There was an interview in I believe a German magazine back in May where Barbara said the villain had a personal connection to one of the characters.

I was guessing that this connection is that Safin's father was the man in the mask and is killed by Young Madeline, with Safin being out for revenge and just now catching up to her. This would tie in with the train scene in Spectre.

But now that the man in the mask is prominently featured in the teaser, it is clear to me it is Safin in the present day, though that means I have no clue who the girl is. Is she his child with Madeline? Thereby explaining Baraba's reference to a personal connection between him and one of the characters.
    is

My personal suspicion, given the story does apparently involve genetics
    It's about Safin slowing down or reversing the aging process...Rami doesn't look scarred in the poster, but almost artificially aged.

And that would make the young Madeleine flashback thing work as well.

vjtiu491oitcq8skkes8

I think either the scarring is due to the mask being blown off, wounding him, which would explain the make up of the wounds on the stuntman's face, or they are marks from aging, lending credence to the flashback theory. Malek does look a good bit older here than he does in real life. I feel like I can see some grey in his hair in the poster but perhaps not.
    antovolk wrote: »

is

It's about Safin slowing down or reversing the aging process...Rami doesn't look scarred in the poster, but almost artificially aged.

This is a very plausible theory but the only thing that doesn't square for me is that the stuntman also has those marks on his face, almost as if he was wounded when the mask was shot or burned off.

I see a lot of evidence in either direction and I am so thrilled we know next to nothing about this film.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

vjtiu491oitcq8skkes8

It is the opposite side.
    It's the side hidden from us in the character poster.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    He looks so goooood!!!
  • ertert wrote: »

is

This is a very plausible theory but the only thing that doesn't square for me is that the stuntman also has those marks on his face, almost as if he was wounded when the mask was shot or burned off.

I see a lot of evidence in either direction and I am so thrilled we know next to nothing about this film.

Exactly. The wounds under the damaged mask appear to be scarred already. They should be fresh/bleeding if they’ve been caused by whatever broke his mask.

is

Exactly. The wounds under the damaged mask appear to be scarred already. They should be fresh/bleeding if they’ve been caused by whatever broke his mask.

Between this and the new pic of Madeline & Bond, So many of my theories have gone out the window and I have no clue what takes place in this film. They've done an excellent job keeping this under wraps.
    It is hard to dissect this one.

I’m just not convinced on a flashback happening. As another member pointed out that requires we put a viewpoint on Madeline being the main character, which is unlikely.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    It is hard to dissect this one.

I’m just not convinced on a flashback happening. As another member pointed out that requires we put a viewpoint on Madeline being the main character, which is unlikely.

She is still the leading lady of the film, if the billing/credits released to date are to go by...
  • duke_togoduke_togo france
    edited December 2019 Posts: 138
    I have an other theory that COULD prove that Safin is in fact a new take on Dr NO , Fukunaga said in an interview that the mask that the villain wears in the snow sequence is japanese and it is called Noh Mask, "Dr Noh" could be a nickname he has because it's his trademark mask and he is a science genius so a "Doctor" wearing a "Noh Mask".... But again it is pure speculation i could be totally wrong. https://www.gamesradar.com/bond-25-trailer-breakdown-no-time-to-die-director-cary-joji-fukunaga/

• Ok.....hear me out.

Safin says something like 'You're going to die one day, but I'll live forever.'

I think it means that...
    Safin is an old dude, who has been using some kind of science to either clone himself or stay young. He is Madeline's secret. Therefore, Safin is the man at the lake who confronts her when she's a child. But he is also the man terrorising her today...........

Also, Rami Malek doing the 'Bond villain evil accent' is lit.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Malek's accent is great, quite chilling very Bondian.

Is lit like sick, please enlighten a 40 something?

Ok.....hear me out.

I think it means that...
    Safin is an old dude, who has been using some kind of science to either clone himself or stay young. He is Madeline's secret. Therefore, Safin is the man at the lake who confronts her when she's a child. But he is also the man terrorising her today...........

This makes a lot of sense to me. Especially since the marks on his face at the frozen lake look more like age wrinkles than fresh wounds that just happen after having the mask broken off.

The question is...what, if anything, does that have to do with the algae?

Also, what is so special about Madeline? What is his connection to her?

Also,
    Supposedly there's a child with Bond & Madeline in the present day, who is that?

Ok.....hear me out.

I think it means that...

Well, I beg to differ...

I've felt like he was initially saying that the history of violence from Bond is similar to his past too, but that and all Bond's physical skills will eventually fade away with his body, while Safin's legacy sustained by his intelligence and knowledge will live forever. He's calling Bond, like M in CR, a blunt instrument - a tool that will be forgotten.
    I am suspecting Safin and Blofeld are NOT allies. There was a rumored scene with Safin gassing people on a dance floor. There was a brief snippet of this in the trailer, which he did to SPECTRE members (it’s been pointed out Vogel from SP was among them). Maybe SPECTRE split into two between those supporting Safin and those supporting Blofeld, or Safin leads an entirely different group that wants SPECTRE out of the way.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I am suspecting Safin and Blofeld are NOT allies. There was a rumored scene with Safin gassing people on a dance floor. There was a brief snippet of this in the trailer, which he did to SPECTRE members (it’s been pointed out Vogel from SP was among them). Maybe SPECTRE split into two between those supporting Safin and those supporting Blofeld, or Safin leads an entirely different group that wants SPECTRE out of the way.
    I had this thought too...Who is gassing a Spectre meeting? Your theory explains that though. Also, what is Dr. Vogle's role. Is she only in that scene or does she do more? Seems like she would have to be involved somehow with Safin's technology. And why does the gas seem to not work on Bond?
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,677
    I had this thought too...Who is gassing a Spectre meeting? Your theory explains that though. Also, what is Dr. Vogle's role. Is she only in that scene or does she do more? Seems like she would have to be involved somehow with Safin's technology. And why does the gas seem to not work on Bond?
    Maybe the pathogen has genetic markers made solely for the spectre members in that meeting
    Univex wrote: »
    Maybe the pathogen has genetic markers made solely for the spectre members in that meeting

Interesting. Damn there is so much to chew on.
    I also thought it was peculiar how Bond holds his hand up and says "what is this?" like he isn't sure who Madeline is anymore or something.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Vogel and Safin - could they be related somehow?
    Ok.....hear me out.

I think it means that...

Well, I beg to differ...

I've felt like he was initially saying that the history of violence from Bond is similar to his past too, but that and all Bond's physical skills will eventually fade away with his body, while Safin's legacy sustained by his intelligence and knowledge will live forever. He's calling Bond, like M in CR, a blunt instrument - a tool that will be forgotten.

I hope you're right @Nectoux as other theories here seem to step far too much into scifi territory.