No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• RyanRyan Canada
    I suspect the whole Nomi as 007 thing will be nothing more than a little in-joke in the film. We might get a bit of humorous banter and that's it. It is abundantly clear that in no way is Nomi a permanent replacement for Bond nor will the franchise continue with her as 007. Barbara herself reaffirmed recently that Bond is a man. I'm not sure why it's still causing such commotion. I think it's a clever idea. Have Bond come face to face with his replacement after he's retired.

Why not?

Oh, because the film is "woke" and how dare they and it's to appease the SJW crowd. Ridiculous.
    mtm wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I like how they say 007 fans and 25th 007 film he isn't even 007. And more woke wonderful exactly what the film needs. Gosh hope this film isn't a disaster for the running time alone.

James Bond is 007. Always has been, always will be.

Except when he isn't, like in the original Ian Fleming stories. And in License to Kill when he quits.

Fleming wasn't writing with marketing in mind.

I'm not sure that was true! He was pretty cynical, really (as well as being a very impressive writer) and was fairly desperate to get movies made out of his books- he wasn't only in it for the art but to make sales.

He was in it to escape the trappings of marriage, to outdo his brother, to prove he was not the family's black sheep, to use his natural wits and curiosity about people and the world's dynamics. And... well, maybe for the money.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Not sure how I feel about that Mail article, it sounds like they're trying to say the film is woke or more woke but I feel like that is just hype and purely for show.

With the film rumoured to be around 3 hours long, I wonder if we'll get a long pre title sequence?
  • Filming wrapped in October... I don't believe that the entire editing process was completed in merely 2-3 months and that 174m runtime was finalized in January. Unless EON are extremely confident in the initial cuts of the film, wouldn't the film be in post-production until about 2-4 weeks prior to premiere? There is still plenty of time.

The cut needs to be locked at some point to allow VFX and score work to be finalised easier.
    Filming wrapped in October... I don't believe that the entire editing process was completed in merely 2-3 months and that 174m runtime was finalized in January. Unless EON are extremely confident in the initial cuts of the film, wouldn't the film be in post-production until about 2-4 weeks prior to premiere? There is still plenty of time.

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,126
    antovolk wrote: »
    3H seems logical : I see NTTD as half SP part 2 (I guess we may see what Madeleine is talking about in SP, the "stranger in the house" part), and half new story. Plus, the Craig finale (I've read in a french magazine, interview of Barbara, that the finale "leaves no doubt about it" (Première, February 2020). Hope all of this will blend smoothly. M5730_cache_504s052020.jpg

Is there any new info in that interview? Any chance you might be able to post it here (don't worry about translating if you don't feel like it)

@MonsieurMerci yeah that would be good if there is anymore info.
    antovolk wrote: »
    duke_togo wrote: »
    3 hours including the credits so the movie will last 2h45 and the editing is not finished yet so may be 2h35 or 40 or something, well i don't think it will last EXACTLY 3h.

As mentioned before, 174 mins including credits appears to be the current runtime.

New on set still with Ana De Armas by Greg Williams for Chopard:
    Ana-de-Armas_Chopard-Green-Carpet-Collection-%E2%95%95Greg-Williams-3.jpg
    https://quillandpad.com/2020/02/02/diamonds-are-forever-chopard-partners-with-james-bond-in-no-time-to-die/

Man she is so cute she is one of the things going good for this film.
    I like how they say 007 fans and 25th 007 film he isn't even 007. And more woke wonderful exactly what the film needs. Gosh hope this film isn't a disaster for the running time alone.

Except when he isn't, like in the original Ian Fleming stories. And in License to Kill when he quits.

Fleming wasn't writing with marketing in mind. In LTK, Bond was not replaced, and I would go so far as to say that his resignation was not accepted.

Bond was considered DEAD in SF, so he wasn't 007 for a time, either. But in his mind he still was: "007 reporting to duty."

All of this panic/concern over Nomi being 007 is a bit irrational to me. EON knows that James Bond IS 007 and has built an entire brand on that concept. It makes no sense, in Daniel Craig's final film, to have another character assume that 007 moniker, from start to finish.

Note that the trades are calling this "Daniel Craig's last outing as 007."

Everyone already has her as 007 in their mind but if I'm wrong that would be great. Time will tell today if we see something during the super bowl I will be looking out for it.

No he isn't its nomi @TripAces

If she is, the number will go back to its rightful owner very quickly. It's not worth concern. Like I said: James Bond is 007.

@TripAces nobody owns 007 and same with the logo it means nothing it's a anybody's franchise.
  • Ryan wrote: »
    I suspect the whole Nomi as 007 thing will be nothing more than a little in-joke in the film. We might get a bit of humorous banter and that's it. It is abundantly clear that in no way is Nomi a permanent replacement for Bond nor will the franchise continue with her as 007. Barbara herself reaffirmed recently that Bond is a man. I'm not sure why it's still causing such commotion. I think it's a clever idea. Have Bond come face to face with his replacement after he's retired.

Why not?

Oh, because the film is "woke" and how dare they and it's to appease the SJW crowd. Ridiculous.
    This.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

If she is, the number will go back to its rightful owner very quickly. It's not worth concern. Like I said: James Bond is 007.

@TripAces nobody owns 007 and same with the logo it means nothing it's a anybody's franchise.

.....what?

.....what?

Yep you heard me
    I guess that would depend on whether one considers it the “007” franchise or the “James Bond” franchise.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I guess that would depend on whether one considers it the “007” franchise or the “James Bond” franchise.

Aren't the two already synonymous in the popular consciousness anyhow? I would certainly like to think so by this stage in the proceedings.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Aren't the two already synonymous in the popular consciousness anyhow? I would certainly like to think so by this stage in the proceedings.

If the rumors are true about Nomi being the new 007, it certainly will put a dent in the two being synonymous. Obviously most people instantly relate Bond with 007 and vice versa, but I'm just going along with the idea that the rumor is true and there'll be a new 007.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Naomie at the BAFTAs this evening

kjcRUoy.jpg
    yTkjVBi.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

If the rumors are true about Nomi being the new 007, it certainly will put a dent in the two being synonymous.

She’ll be in a Bond film though and nowhere else, so they are still synonymous.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,554

• 007.com is the official website for all things cinematic Bond
    • @ 007 is the official Twitter handle for all things cinematic Bond'
    • The 007 logo is a registered trademark
    • "Ian Fleming's James Bond 007" is the official description of the character in almost every title sequence
    • Entertainment Weekly just ran a cover story on the new film, and it is sub-titled with the following: "Go behind the scenes of the 25th 007 adventure."
    • From Variety: "On April 10, “No Time to Die,” Eon’s 25th Bond adventure, will hit U.S. theaters, representing a moment of both triumph and uncertainty for the series. It serves as the culmination of Daniel Craig’s critically acclaimed, massively successful five-film run as 007."

If the rumors are true about Nomi being the new 007, it certainly will put a dent in the two being synonymous.

I think 007 and Bond will probably stay connected after the film, but to casual audiences there is bound to be some confusion with Nomi being 007 it the rumor is true. We don’t even know for 100% certain if it will happen, or if it does if Bond gets the number back or what will happen with that throughout the film.
  • duke_togoduke_togo france
    edited February 2020 Posts: 138
    There's a rumour that trailer 2 could come for the superbowl, don't know if it's true...
    Rumour confirmed: According to NO TIME TO DIE (Not Official) twitter account "there will apparently be a short #NoTimeToDie trailer dropping sometime during the 2nd Quarter of the #SuperBowl! If so, expect to see some new footage. (N.B. Keep in mind that nothing has been officially confirmed yet.) #JamesBond #NTTD"

There's a rumour that trailer 2 could come for the superbowl, don't know if it's true...
    Rumour confirmed: According to NO TIME TO DIE (Not Official) twitter account "there will apparently be a short #NoTimeToDie trailer dropping sometime during the 2nd Quarter of the #SuperBowl! If so, expect to see some new footage. (N.B. Keep in mind that nothing has been officially confirmed yet.) #JamesBond #NTTD"

Yep I'm looking out for it.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,126

• "Ian Fleming's James Bond 007" is the official description of the character in almost every title sequence
    • Entertainment Weekly just ran a cover story on the new film, and it is sub-titled with the following: "Go behind the scenes of the 25th 007 adventure."
    • From Variety: "On April 10, “No Time to Die,” Eon’s 25th Bond adventure, will hit U.S. theaters, representing a moment of both triumph and uncertainty for the series. It serves as the culmination of Daniel Craig’s critically acclaimed, massively successful five-film run as 007."

@TripAces Wait till they mess it up when they reveal its nomi they have big mess to clean up. Woke power.

Yep the 007 logo now means nomi and anyone who wants it it's not Bond's and I know I triple posted.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Whether that's true or not remains to be seen. And even if it does turn out that Nomi has been assigned the OO7 rank, we don't know how the story pans out.
    I certainly wouldn't be losing too much sleep over it, just yet. ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Yep the 007 logo now means nomi and anyone who wants it it's not Bond's and I know I triple posted.

If anyone can have it, then I'll take it. Sounds like fun.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2020 Posts: 10,512

@TripAces Wait till they mess it up when they reveal its nomi they have big mess to clean up. Woke power.

Do you have some sort of legal obligation to use the phrase ‘woke’ in 70% of your posts?
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Good grief, folks. Just read @Ryan's post on the previous page. Read it. Read it again. And again, more slowly this time.

IF (and that is IF) Nomi is 007 in this film, it changes absolutely nothing going forward. It is meant as a wink and a nudge. To have some humour from Bond seeing another person in his position. And in the end, it means nothing for the series. The next person to play Bond will be a man. Barbara said that numerous times, there is absolutely no reason to doubt her words or to not take them seriously.

And yes, @TripAces, in the marketing 007 is synonymous with Bond. And this means that a lot of people associate that number with the person James Bond. But for the sake of storytelling, they are not one and the same. The first one is a code name, that (like M or Q) can be held by multiple people. The second one is a name of a (fictional) person. And that person can have the code name 007, which he has had in all films, but not at all times.

But marketing and changing something for the sake of the story is different. The public also associates James Bond with the phrase 'Shaken not stirred' or with wearing a tuxedo. Those are also essential elements when it comes to the branding of Bond, and have been used in the same ways as the 007 number in marketing campaigns.
    However, James Bond has had film adventures in which he did not wear a tuxedo. Daniel Craig's Bond didn't give a damn if he got his martini shaken or stirred. So the image created by the marketing, and the image of Bond that the public is familiar with (He's a secret agent with a licence to kill, code number 007, wears tuxedos and orders his martini shaken not stirred) can be subverted or averted if the story or a joke calls for it. Bond doesn't wear a tuxedo in all his films. He does not say 'Bond, James Bond' in every film. He does not hold his licence to kill in every film at all times. He sometimes doesn't care about how his martini is served. And yes, he is not always 007.

So why the fuss if Bond doesn't have his code number at the start of the film? Why the fuss if someone else has taken that number? Why? It has no impact on the series moving forward. Zero. The next Bond will be male, and will be 007. Maybe not for the entire movie, if they go with an origin story.

But by giving the 007 number to someone else (whether it's Nomi or generic British white male #5), they'll have a laugh and a giggle in this film. And some snappy dialogue.

NTTD is probably 3 hours long. We have no idea what happens. Maybe Bond gets the number back. Maybe Nomi is 005 or 009. No need to get worked up on it if we haven't even seen how it plays out and how the situation is treated.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think 007 and Bond will probably stay connected after the film

‘Probably’? :D

Yep the 007 logo now means nomi and anyone who wants it it's not Bond's

After 58 years you really reckon people are suddenly going to get confused when they see that logo? Like they all see the Bat signal and say ‘isn’t that what Batwoman wears on her chest?’. C’mon: don’t be silly. There’s no need to feel threatened by this.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    The trailer thread claims there will be new footage aired possibly during the 2nd qtr of the Super Bowl.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    The trailer thread claims there will be new footage aired possibly during the 2nd qtr of the Super Bowl.

How long is that from now?
    00Agent wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

How long is that from now?

An hour or so
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Thanks!