No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited May 2019 Posts: 17,281
    When 007 arrives, you'll have to stay away: The Atlantic Road closes for three days.

This article (posted a couple of hours ago) is behind a paywall, so I can't access it, unfortunately.

https://www.tk.no/nyheter/averoy/atlanterhavsveien/nar-007-kommer-ma-du-holde-deg-borte-stenger-atlanterhavsveien-i-tre-dager/s/5-51-653142
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Univex wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Might I ask, have the James Bond films ever mistreated women?

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to be the annoying one here. My question is perfectly sincere and in no way an attack on Phoebe.

My point is that the 60s Bond films may have taken unacceptable liberties with women today, but perhaps not with women of the 60s. My point is that a Bond film "treating women right" (the 2019 version of "treating women right") may have been rejected rather than praised in the 60s, by men and women alike. So while I can easily applaud the current effort to keep Bond on safe grounds, I'm somewhat annoyed by remarks, too often made in my opinion, about how Bond has to start fitting the #MeToo era, as if the Bond of the past was an abuser of sorts. Have actresses, apart from Jane Seymour perhaps, ever voiced frustration over any lack of emancipation in their Bond girl roles?

+1
    +2

About Phoebe’s interview, the bit I enjoyed most was when she said Bond has to be himself, even if the world around him has changed, he has to keep his character traits. Fleming said the same about Bond, that the world changed, Bond did not. Phoebe seems to get our man. Very encouraging article. And the notion that there was already a story lined up, and that she’s mainly working on dialogue is interesting and it goes a bit against the Baz article in which he said she was the one who made sense of the genetic warfare stuff.

02aeb815b72dc25cf0ac2210078d3eed-james-bond-quotes-premium-bond-e1498322965203.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I worship at the altar of Ian Fleming.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

Posted Today. He is an underwater Cinematographer. Could there be more shot underwater?
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Posted Today. He is an underwater Cinematographer. Could there be more shot underwater?

I've read that some underwater filming was made in Norway in March. According to IMDB Bond 25 has own underwater unit (led by K. Astrup). I think we'll see some great underwater scenes, maybe even shot on IMAX.
    Pavlo wrote: »
    Bentley007 wrote: »

I've read that some underwater filming was made in Norway in March. According to IMDB Bond 25 has own underwater unit (led by K. Astrup). I think we'll see some great underwater scenes, maybe even shot on IMAX.

Yes, they shot some underwater stuff at Lutvann.

https://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/stort-hemmelighold-rundt-bond-innspillingen/70913507
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I like underwater stuff in a Bond film. I'm getting really excited now.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Might I ask, have the James Bond films ever mistreated women?

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to be the annoying one here. My question is perfectly sincere and in no way an attack on Phoebe.

My point is that the 60s Bond films may have taken unacceptable liberties with women today, but perhaps not with women of the 60s. My point is that a Bond film "treating women right" (the 2019 version of "treating women right") may have been rejected rather than praised in the 60s, by men and women alike. So while I can easily applaud the current effort to keep Bond on safe grounds, I'm somewhat annoyed by remarks, too often made in my opinion, about how Bond has to start fitting the #MeToo era, as if the Bond of the past was an abuser of sorts. Have actresses, apart from Jane Seymour perhaps, ever voiced frustration over any lack of emancipation in their Bond girl roles?

@DarthDimi I have been making this argument for a long time. The idea that Bond was a mysoginist who mistreated women has always been more myth than reality. A few exceptions aside (the seduction of Patricia Fearing, the smack on the rear in Miami, the slap of Tatiana), Bond's actions with women have to be taken in context. By that, I don't mean the times; I mean THE JOB. Few of the women that Bond beds or seduces could be called "innocent." It's a game, of sorts. And Bond tends to use one of his best assets to best use assets. Pussy Galore is a prime example. All the whooping and hollering about rape has sidestepped the elephant in the room: Pussy was on the verge of being an accomplice to the planting of a nuclear device on U.S. soil. Bond had to stop that and he did what he had to do. He could have beaten the crap out of her, but went the other way, instead. Critics who come to Pussy's defense conveniently forget who she was.

Ah....don't get me started...LOL
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I thought most would be interested in the following-- it's taken from a screenwriting website called SCRIPTSHADOW. It's interesting to hear what a non-Bond fan has to say about Phoebe Waller-Bridge:
    Next up we have Fleabag. What got me into this show was hearing from everyone that writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge was the freshest voice to come onto the writing scene in a long time. Whenever I hear something like that, I’m in “arms-crossed” mode. “Uh-huh,” I say, as I press ‘play.’ “Prove it to me.” Dammit if Waller-Bridge didn’t do so in the very first scene, where her titular character, Fleabag, is having sex while talking directly to us, the audience. Truthfully, there are dozens of screenwriting lessons to learn from this show. The writing is that good. Waller-Bridge always finds little spins on scenes to make them different. For example, in one of the episodes, she goes off to a cleansing retreat that focuses on silence, forcing her to go long stretches of time without saying anything. Fleabag unexpectedly runs into a male character she had a dust up with in a previous episode, who’s taking a spiritual retreat on the other side of the grounds. The two sit down to hash things out, but Fleabag isn’t allowed to talk, so he does all the talking and she answers via hand gestures, miming, and eye contact. It’s a small thing but Waller-Bridge always comes up with things like that that make her scenes pop.

But the biggest lesson I learned from this show was: go to uncomfortable places and see what comes of them. I’m sure there are many moments in the writing process where Waller-Bridge went to these places and it didn’t work out. But the fact that she isn’t afraid to open up these dangerous avenues is what makes her writing so raw and unexpected. In the opening episode of the second season (spoiler), which takes place during a family dinner at a restaurant, her sister has a secret miscarriage in the bathroom that Fleabag stumbles upon by accident. The two then go back to dinner and the sister tries to carry on as if nothing happened. I don’t know any writers who would’ve tried this. Yet Waller-Bridge somehow makes it work. I’m relishing each and every one of these episodes because it looks like Waller-Bridge is done with Fleabag after this season. Definitely check out this show if you plan to be a great TV writer.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

If it wasn't for the paywall, I'd be happy to translate. Not much to mention from the little that's available to read.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    It says something about Aston Martin. Would love to know!
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Me too. Anyone has access?

DonnyDB5 wrote: »

"Think local tourism must take advantage of the "Bond effect":
    - Hoping to see Aston Martin in action.

- I expect a lot of spectacular driving, with extraordinary Norwegian nature as the backdrop. If it features the new Aston Martin Rapid E, it will be international news in itself, Morten Steingrimsen says."

The rest is behind a paywall.

Steingrimsen on Twitter. He's also written a book about Bond (in Norwegian).
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,281
    From an article by local newspaper Åndalsnes Avis covering the recent shoots for Black Widow and Børning 3 (for once an article that isn't behind a paywall!). They seem confident Bond will shoot in the area next week – but not just on the Atlantic Road.

The film productions (shooting) in the county this week and next week, might make even more foreigners open their eyes for Norwegian nature and Western Norwegian mountains and fjords. That can bring billions of revenue to the tourism industry.

…The first part of «Børning 3» is shot at Trollstigen. The plot will take them (the characters) from Norway to the motor racing complex Nürburgring in Germany. The film will also be promoted in Germany.

And as if that’s not enough: Next week, the new James Bond film will be shot on The Atlantic Road and in Rauma.

https://www.andalsnes-avis.no/meninger/Leder/2019/06/01/Filmene-kan-få-enda-flere-turister-til-å-velge-Norge-19161323.ece

We'll soon know if they're right.

________

Also, from Mirror:
    James Bond film insider spills beans on never-done-before fight scene
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/film/james-bond-film-insider-spills-16238924
    Underwater cameraman Kjetil C Astrup disclosed details of the dramatic filming for Bond 25.

He told the Sunday Mirror: “It’s probably the most extreme stuff Daniel and some of the other actors have ever done.

“This Bond is the jubilee, 25th, and most probably Daniel’s last movie – so it has to be special.

“In Spectre they had scenes with Daniel falling into water in Venice, but they’ve never had underwater fight scenes, and never had actors going under the ice. We’re breaking new ground.”

He said the stunt was so dangerous that emergency divers were on standby during the 1ºC plunge in Oslo.

The dramatic scenes are said to be part of a bid by producers to ensure the success of the blockbuster after a string of setbacks.

Craig and other actors trained in diving tanks for weeks before heading abroad.

And Astrup told how he spent weeks attaching a rig to the ice ready for the filming.

He said: “The water is one degree Celsius – you need to use special equipment or else your scuba gear freezes.

“An ice cube forms around your breathing apparatus, blocking the air. We dive with electrical heating vests and go straight to heating pools when we come up.

“We had to introduce camera gear, actors, lots of people on to the ice, with a ton of equipment. That’s where it gets dangerous.”

The movie has suffered a string of setbacks, including director Danny Boyle quitting over ­creative differences.

And star Craig reportedly tore an ankle ligament during early filming in Jamaica, halting production while he recovered.

Kjetil says an injury during the chilly underwater scenes would have been a disaster.

He said: “Under the ice is incredibly cold and very dangerous, and you’re trapped – it’s not easy to get out.

“It’s hard to communicate, that’s why we use absolutely professional people, top actors – we have very few chances.”

Craig and his co-stars even had special diets in preparation, eating fatty foods such as salami, cheese, nuts and eggs.

Kjetil, who worked with Michael Fassbender on 2017 flick The Snowman, added: “Filming through the ice, it’s very special with the light.

“It’s unique to be under the ice and look at the sunlight coming through, glowing off that super ­crystalline lake. People will be awestruck.”
    octofinger wrote: »
    Rami is a different-looking chap, isn't he? And related to that photo, if you wanted to cast a 'young Craig,' you could certainly do worse than Taran Edgerton.
    Egerton is Incredible. He was good already in Kingsman, but the Speed with which he gathered gravitas around his appearance over the last few years is breathtaking.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    From an article by local newspaper Åndalsnes Avis covering the recent shoots for Black Widow and Børning 3 (for once an article that isn't behind a paywall!). They seem confident Bond will shoot in the area next week – but not just on the Atlantic Road.

The film productions (shooting) in the county this week and next week, might make even more foreigners open their eyes for Norwegian nature and Western Norwegian mountains and fjords. That can bring billions of revenue to the tourism industry.

…The first part of «Børning 3» is shot at Trollstigen. The plot will take them (the characters) from Norway to the motor racing complex Nürburgring in Germany. The film will also be promoted in Germany.

And as if that’s not enough: Next week, the new James Bond film will be shot on The Atlantic Road and in Rauma.

https://www.andalsnes-avis.no/meninger/Leder/2019/06/01/Filmene-kan-få-enda-flere-turister-til-å-velge-Norge-19161323.ece

________

Also, from Mirror:
    Underwater cameraman Kjetil C Astrup disclosed details of the dramatic filming for Bond 25.

He told the Sunday Mirror: “It’s probably the most extreme stuff Daniel and some of the other actors have ever done.

“This Bond is the jubilee, 25th, and most probably Daniel’s last movie – so it has to be special.

“In Spectre they had scenes with Daniel falling into water in Venice, but they’ve never had underwater fight scenes, and never had actors going under the ice. We’re breaking new ground.”

He said the stunt was so dangerous that emergency divers were on standby during the 1ºC plunge in Oslo.

The dramatic scenes are said to be part of a bid by producers to ensure the success of the blockbuster after a string of setbacks.

And Astrup told how he spent weeks attaching a rig to the ice ready for the filming.

He said: “The water is one degree Celsius – you need to use special equipment or else your scuba gear freezes.

“An ice cube forms around your breathing apparatus, blocking the air. We dive with electrical heating vests and go straight to heating pools when we come up.

“We had to introduce camera gear, actors, lots of people on to the ice, with a ton of equipment. That’s where it gets dangerous.”

The movie has suffered a string of setbacks, including director Danny Boyle quitting over ­creative differences.

And star Craig reportedly tore an ankle ligament during early filming in Jamaica, halting production while he recovered.

Kjetil says an injury during the chilly underwater scenes would have been a disaster.

He said: “Under the ice is incredibly cold and very dangerous, and you’re trapped – it’s not easy to get out.

“It’s hard to communicate, that’s why we use absolutely professional people, top actors – we have very few chances.”

Craig and his co-stars even had special diets in preparation, eating fatty foods such as salami, cheese, nuts and eggs.

Kjetil, who worked with Michael Fassbender on 2017 flick The Snowman, added: “Filming through the ice, it’s very special with the light.

“It’s unique to be under the ice and look at the sunlight coming through, glowing off that super ­crystalline lake. People will be awestruck.”

Not to be pedantic but I'm sure we all noticed that he got the films mixed up re: Daniel in the water in Venice; we also did have an underwater fight in Skyfall. Granted, it was shot in a tank and not in a lake with real ice, but still. It has been done.

Still sounds great though. Underwater fights are a favourite of mine. Glad they're giving us another one.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 5,767
    ________

Also, from Mirror:

One should think that a guy in his position should have at least watched all of Craig´s films. Or did SF leave such a weak impression on him?
    Nice and fine that under the ice is incredibly Cold and dangerous, but do we Need incredibly Cold and dangerous water under ice to see onscreen that it´s incredibly Cold and dangerous? Will we gain that Sensation onscreen from incredibly Cold and dangerous water under ice? I´ll instantly shut my gob the Moment I´ll see onscreen an ice cube forming around a character´s breathing apparatus, Blocking the air.
    I don´t mind seeing Action Things in a Bond film I´ve already seen in other Bond films. But I do mind quite a bit if someone tries to sell a sequence as spectacular and instead makes it seem a re-hash of something old. At this Point I must agree this is very bad pr Management.

The last line is the only decent Thing he says, About
    sunlight coming through and glowing off the lake.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Craig wasn't in Norway in March as far as we know. So were his scenes filmed in the tank?
    jake24 wrote: »
    Craig wasn't in Norway in March as far as we know. So were his scenes filmed in the tank?

That was my thought.

As with @CraigMooreOHMSS and @boldfinger I agree on the slip up re. underwater scenes. Annoying and difficult not to notice straight away.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    ________

Also, from Mirror:

Nice and fine that under the ice is incredibly Cold and dangerous, but do we Need incredibly Cold and dangerous water under ice to see onscreen that it´s incredibly Cold and dangerous? Will we gain that Sensation onscreen from incredibly Cold and dangerous water under ice? I´ll instantly shut my gob the Moment I´ll see onscreen an ice cube forming around a character´s breathing apparatus, Blocking the air.

Guess it all depends on the nature of the scene, what's at stake etc.
    Could we see the girl in danger under water for example?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I guess ideas for underwater CPR are being kept under wraps.
    What are we to make of all this? Seems a bit garbled to me. Does anyone really think that Craig was in Norway filming underwater fight scenes in water that's 1 degree above freezing?
    I don't get it, I'm afraid.

________

Also, from Mirror:

Not to be pedantic but I'm sure we all noticed that he got the films mixed up re: Daniel in the water in Venice; we also did have an underwater fight in Skyfall. Granted, it was shot in a tank and not in a lake with real ice, but still. It has been done.

Still sounds great though. Underwater fights are a favourite of mine. Glad they're giving us another one.

Ummmm......Didn't SF do this already. In fact, this news encouraged me to seek it out on Youtube. I love this BTS video. Such great filmmaking technique and so cool to see Craig in the tank doing the stunts:

________

Also, from Mirror:

Ummmm......Didn't SF do this already. In fact, this news encouraged me to seek it out on Youtube. I love this BTS video. Such great filmmaking technique and so cool to see Craig in the tank doing the stunts:

Yes it did.

As cool as it is to hear from heavy-lifting crew like this sometimes, more often than not it is better to keep them away from anything press-related to avoid these kinds of embarrassing slips.

However, I'm also not 100% sure that this interview is entirely accurate. If it is, then Craig's movements are being kept well under wraps.

________

Also, from Mirror:

Yes it did.

As cool as it is to hear from heavy-lifting crew like this sometimes, more often than not it is better to keep them away from anything press-related to avoid these kinds of embarrassing slips.

However, I'm also not 100% sure that this interview is entirely accurate. If it is, then Craig's movements are being kept well under wraps.

The guy might have been misquoted for all we know.

________

Also, from Mirror:

Yes it did.

Absolutely. There is that as well. I'm not sure of his nationality but the language barrier could possibly have been a factor, too? Who knows.

________

Also, from Mirror:

Yes it did.

Absolutely. There is that as well. I'm not sure of his nationality but the language barrier could possibly have been a factor, too? Who knows.

By his name, I'll definitely say he's Norwegian. Makes sense, as the underwater scenes are shot here. As for the confusion re. Craig, there's only the two quotes:

The first quote could've been "…before we headed abroad", and as for the second, that could have been him speaking about those filming the actual underwater stuff. Seems a bit strange really.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Lashana is in London. I recognise the location behind them....

D8A4d9-XkAELXsS.jpg

She gave the best dramatic performance in Captain Marvel. I haven't seen any of her other work....I may check out Bulletproof.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 5,767
    @Torgeirtrap, that´s true. But what I meant was that
    the guy is raving About how sensational the freezing water and ice is, when in the finished film chances are that we won´t know at all at what temperature those Scenes were shot. I´m wondering how he want´s to capture those Elements on camera in a way that can´t be done with warmer water.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2019 Posts: 10,588
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap, that´s true. But what I meant was that
    the guy is raving About how sensational the freezing water and ice is, when in the finished film chances are that we won´t know at all at what temperature those Scenes were shot. I´m wondering how he want´s to capture those Elements on camera in a way that can´t be done with warmer water.
    No need for spoilers in this case. And yes, there are ways to translate certain sensory aspects on screen.