No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited November 2019 Posts: 677
    RC7 wrote: »
    If you ignore the superlatives, it actually sounds like her character is the opposite of what people fear. The fact she’s ‘flawed’, ‘nervous’ etc suggests by ‘strong’ and ‘powerful’, she simply means three dimensional.
    I'm actually wondering if her character might be a bit of comic relief too.

In her THR cover story it said her character runs in high heels.

Good female characters are indeed not only the tough assured independent ones: women come in all shapes and forms. The important part is to give them dimension.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,958
    mtm wrote: »
    So just nostalgia then? Nothing to do with the thematic quality of the actual movie you’re watching but just remembering old ones? That was rather my point.
    You don't have a point except dismissing other people's opinions.

If you see a REAL element of film scoring as nothing but a worthless piece of nostalgia, you are indeed not worth having a conversation with.

Especially when you establish what matters and what doesn't. Lol.

That's needlessly unpleasant. I was just replying to and paraphrasing what you wrote: you said when you hear it you "associate it with "better" Bond scores"- if I misunderstood what you wrote and you weren't talking about associating it with other scores you've previously enjoyed, feel free to correct me. There's an awful lot of namecalling and personal abuse involved in this for reason.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Someone saying their character is different from most Bond girls because that actor personally feels that way is the least of our worries. Who cares? What’s she meant to say? She can’t exactly give too much away about the character so all she can talk about is the process it took to create her, and how she feels about the character personally. Just because you think the comment is reductive, doesn’t mean it was her intention.

You can see it because you follow every single production. I doubt de Armas is aware of what’s even said about other characters in the past so let’s move on please :) Although also, no-one has seen the film? So how can we say her comments are false?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2019 Posts: 8,034
    So just nostalgia then? Nothing to do with the thematic quality of the actual movie you’re watching but just remembering old ones? That was rather my point.

If you see a REAL element of film scoring as nothing but a worthless piece of nostalgia, you are indeed not worth having a conversation with.

That's needlessly unpleasant. I was just replying to and paraphrasing what you wrote: you said when you hear it you "associate it with "better" Bond scores"- if I misunderstood what you wrote and you weren't talking about associating it with other scores you've previously enjoyed, feel free to correct me. There's an awful lot of namecalling and personal abuse involved in this for reason.

You're coming across really poorly now. This entire exchange has come from you latching on to something from me which you wrongly but then stubbornly considered pedantic (the difference between featured and interwoven, which despite your words previously, was the entire point of the exchange that you then jumped in on bullishly with your "who cares?" shhhtick). I'm at a loss as to how you could honestly consider that pedantic in a conversation about Bond music. If it were about food, there's nothing pedantic about a pinch of seasoning and a substantial amount of it. It's very relevant to Bond music, whether you like it or not.

If you're coming at it from a general observation point of view (as in "does the audience care as long as the music works for the film?") then the answer is both yes and no. I think general audiences do pick up on it even if it's not the most important thing to them. But myself and @MakeshiftPython were talking about our own personal preferences, clearly. Not whether the films were ruined because of this or that. So, ultimately, you got an obvious answer to your obvious, condescending question of "who cares?".

It's not a good look for you. You either knew what we meant and decided to be a dick, or you didn't actually grasp the conversation at hand. Either way, it's on you. Don't be offended by people calling you out on it. Move on.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2019 Posts: 14,958

You're coming across really poorly now. This entire exchange has come from you latching on to something from me which you wrongly but then stubbornly considered pedantic (the difference between featured and interwoven, which despite your words previously, was the entire point of the exchange that you then jumped in on bullishly with your "who cares?" shhhtick). I'm at a loss as to how you could honestly consider that pedantic in a conversation about Bond music. If it were about food, there's nothing pedantic about a pinch of seasoning and a substantial amount of it. It's very relevant to Bond music, whether you like it or not.

Because the conversation started with Tuck asking "Surely they must know the theme by now. It may be interwoven into the soundtrack."- it was simply about whether or not the theme was known to those making the film. That was the conversation -about the current movie (the subject of the thread)- which got diverted by pedantry about how the songs hadn't been featured enough for some people.
    I'm less interested in all of the personal abuse; if you're hoping I'm going to join in you'll be disappointed.
    If you're coming at it from a general observation point of view (as in "does the audience care as long as the music works for the film?") then the answer is both yes and no. I think general audiences do pick up on it even if it's not the most important thing to them. But myself and @MakeshiftPython were talking about our own personal preferences, clearly. Not whether the films were ruined because of this or that. So, ultimately, you got an obvious answer to your obvious, condescending question of "who cares?".

Well I was only brusque because of the pedantry, which as I say, I'm not a big fan of. But my point was that I'm not convinced it is ultimately as important as it's made out to be. A nice to have for us, certainly, but not really an essential. I don't think many people beyond a percentage of fans like us (and the subset who are interested in the soundtracks) really do care. And even then is it just because they used to do that (as you appeared to be saying, unless I misunderstood your reasoning) or because it makes a movie -any movie- better? I think it's an interesting question. I don't know the answer.
    It's not a good look for you. You either knew what we meant and decided to be a dick, or you didn't actually grasp the conversation at hand. Either way, it's on you. Don't be offended by people calling you out on it. Move on.

Okay; you're not interested in a conversation; just abuse. There's no point in talking to you. Shame; hopefully there are more civil other people around here. I'll have to make a note to not engage with you any further on here; it's not worth it.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited November 2019 Posts: 8,025
    @mtm just drop it.

talos7 wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    https://latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2019-11-22/ana-de-armas-knives-out-james-bond

"Underneath the pomp and suspenders, Craig was already training and prepping for Bond when “Knives Out” was filming. But De Armas had no idea she’d be joining him until later, when she got a surprise call from Fukunaga, whom she’d met previously for a project that never materialized.

He said, ‘Part of the movie takes place in Cuba. This role doesn’t exist, but I think I’m going to write something for you. Do you want to do it?’” she said. On top of being offered a custom-tailored Bond role, Emmy-winning writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge was going to write her dialogue, which sent her excitement skyrocketing. “I was like, ‘Aaaaaah! Of course.’ And then I was like, ‘Wait — I’d like to read it first.’”

They sent over her scenes and she was sold. Bond women of yesteryear had never felt relatable to her, said De Armas. Paloma, however, felt real.

“I wouldn’t say she’s ordinary, because when she needs to perform her job, she does,” she said. “But [she] is flawed. She says what she feels, she’s nervous, she’s scared. It’s human. When I read it, I was like, ‘Oh, wait — I can be a Bond girl. I’m that. I’m that messy.’ That’s what felt so attractive, on top of what she’s actually doing in the story, which is another step toward giving women a more powerful and strong place in the films.”

She’s gorgeous and talented, but this drumbeat is so tiresome.

And fans complaining over Bond actresses hyping up about how different their characters are is just as tiresome.
  • Univex wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    How credible is the original source that claimed the trailer would be out in early December?

JamesBond.de - I think they said they'd heard it would be by early December. So I don't even know if they know for certain. Confusing times ;)

Hi,
    don't worry, I know it for certain that I was told "early December" and my source for this is UPIG. So I think it's the best we can get for now.

But as I also stated in my original news 3 weeks ago, it looks like things are changing quite rapidly behind the scenes for NTTD, but early December was the PR plan for the trailer back then and it was the date UPIG had in their schedule.

So, of course they (EON/Universal/MGM) can always change their schedule, but I don't see a reason why they would do it (even with the latest MGM call). I still think early December for the trailer is legit. Maybe we'll already get some teaser material or a countdown next week? Who knows.

If we haven't seen a trailer by let's say December 12, I would ask my source again for an update... But for now, I just sit and wait ;)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Ana de Armas. Invested in the character she's playing. I'm good with that.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Well if Craig’s done I don’t expect b26 until 2024 at the earliest.

Possibly. Right now I don’t know why anyone would care. New film in less than 6 months.

As soon as the credits roll everyone is onto what’s next in today’s society

I will be checking my schedule for when I will be able to see it a second and third time, then counting down the weeks for digital release, hoping for good behind-the-scenes footage.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,869
    TripAces wrote: »

Possibly. Right now I don’t know why anyone would care. New film in less than 6 months.

I will be checking my schedule for when I will be able to see it a second and third time, then counting down the weeks for digital release, hoping for good behind-the-scenes footage.
    It was actually a while before I started to think about Bond 25 after Spectre's release...

...but I do hope people understand that they're gonna take bit of a break after this. It's expected, and also that they're going to take the time to recast James Bond, so it's gonna be really annoying if people start complaining we haven't heard anything this time next year.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 12,269
    Denbigh wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

It was actually a while before I started to think about Bond 25 after Spectre's release...

...but I do hope people understand that they're gonna take bit of a break after this. It's expected, and also that they're going to take the time to recast James Bond, so it's gonna be really annoying if people start complaining we haven't heard anything this time next year.

I didn't think about B25 for a while after SP either. For the first few months after I actually leaned toward the idea that Craig was done. So glad he's getting one more stab at it though, because SP is less than satisfying as a whole for me. And yes, we'll probably be in for another lengthy gap due to the recast and setting other things up (like I said before, even if Craig decided to come back yet again, there'd still be a big break based on the trend). Hopefully NTTD can be satisfying and keep us tied over for a while.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,018
    Pics from a BAFTA screening of Knives Out at the SVA Theatre in NYC

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm intrigued at how big of a role Dali Benssalah will play? Another Patrice or will he actually speak and be more involved throughout the film?
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 1,708
    If you ignore the superlatives, it actually sounds like her character is the opposite of what people fear. The fact she’s ‘flawed’, ‘nervous’ etc suggests by ‘strong’ and ‘powerful’, she simply means three dimensional.
    I'm actually wondering if her character might be a bit of comic relief too.

In her THR cover story it said her character runs in high heels.

Good female characters are indeed not only the tough assured independent ones: women come in all shapes and forms. The important part is to give them dimension.
    This could describe Honey Ryder. We certainly have come a long way. (minus the comedy relief)

Denbigh wrote: »
    I'm intrigued at how big of a role Dali Benssalah will play? Another Patrice or will he actually speak and be more involved throughout the film?

Hopefully he gets a couple of dialogue scenes. I know a trait of some of the iconic henchmen we've had has been strong but silent, but I'd have liked Patrice to have gotten a word in. It seems Dali's character in NTTD will be involved a bit more than Patrice (just my gut feeling) so it'd be nice to have a few words exchanged. Not even with Bond but with his handler.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    talos7 wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    https://latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2019-11-22/ana-de-armas-knives-out-james-bond

"Underneath the pomp and suspenders, Craig was already training and prepping for Bond when “Knives Out” was filming. But De Armas had no idea she’d be joining him until later, when she got a surprise call from Fukunaga, whom she’d met previously for a project that never materialized.

He said, ‘Part of the movie takes place in Cuba. This role doesn’t exist, but I think I’m going to write something for you. Do you want to do it?’” she said. On top of being offered a custom-tailored Bond role, Emmy-winning writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge was going to write her dialogue, which sent her excitement skyrocketing. “I was like, ‘Aaaaaah! Of course.’ And then I was like, ‘Wait — I’d like to read it first.’”

They sent over her scenes and she was sold. Bond women of yesteryear had never felt relatable to her, said De Armas. Paloma, however, felt real.

“I wouldn’t say she’s ordinary, because when she needs to perform her job, she does,” she said. “But [she] is flawed. She says what she feels, she’s nervous, she’s scared. It’s human. When I read it, I was like, ‘Oh, wait — I can be a Bond girl. I’m that. I’m that messy.’ That’s what felt so attractive, on top of what she’s actually doing in the story, which is another step toward giving women a more powerful and strong place in the films.”

She’s gorgeous and talented, but this drumbeat is so tiresome.

This.
  • I heard from a person who would know recently that there's a rough cut of the movie done, and that the trailer was rumored to come out in early December.
    naplogic wrote: »
    I heard from a person who would know recently that there's a rough cut of the movie done, and that the trailer was rumored to come out in early December.

Editors strive to deliver a first cut within a week or two after principle photography has wrapped, so the NTTD cut would have been viewed, probably, a couple of weeks ago. Editors hate the term "rough cut" because it implies the editing is just "rough", but that's far from the truth, editors present the best and sharpest cut possible. Once that first cut is viewed, then the editors and the director, with producers chiming in ideas, begin to refine and, of course, trim and tighten things up, or rearrange scenes or cut scenes out etc. etc.

• naplogic wrote: »
    I heard from a person who would know recently that there's a rough cut of the movie done, and that the trailer was rumored to come out in early December.

yes, it's still expected to come out in early December. I guess by end of next week we'll all be fine ;)
    I want more editing to the music, meaning making certain cuts either longer or shorter to match the score. Probably not going to happen with Romer, though.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Lashana Lynch Sunday evening at the Evening Standard Theatre Awards 2019 in London

Zekidk wrote: »
    I want more editing to the music, meaning making certain cuts either longer or shorter to match the score. Probably not going to happen with Romer, though.

The music cues are timed (very precisely to the frame) after the scenes are locked (or close to being locked) so the music matches the edited action cut by cut (and also sits with the sound effects which are plotted by the sound editors), and sometimes, once the score is recorded and laid in, the editors might make tiny trims to the action, and also the music editor (who works hand in hand with the composer and the editors) will make clever and precise trims and edits to the music if required.

Contraband wrote: »
    Lashana Lynch Sunday evening at the Evening Standard Theatre Awards 2019 in London

She looks good here, I must say.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 3,169
    ColonelSun wrote: »

The music cues are timed (very precisely to the frame) after the scenes are locked (or close to being locked) so the music matches the edited action cut by cut (and also sits with the sound effects which are plotted by the sound editors), and sometimes, once the score is recorded and laid in, the editors might make tiny trims to the action, and also the music editor (who works hand in hand with the composer and the editors) will make clever and precise trims and edits to the music if required.

Yes, that's standard textbook. I am referring to not standard. Untraditional. Leone, Tarantino etc. Even Barry to some extent. Having a beautiful piece of music being centerpiece and the cuts being edited to match the music, instead of vice versa. Sort of montage-like. That's probably why Morricone is one of my favorite composers. Leone and Morricone did that a lot.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Yes, that's standard textbook. I am referring to not standard. Untraditional. Leone, Tarantino etc. Even Barry to some extent. Having a beautiful piece of music being centerpiece and the cuts being edited to match the music, instead of vice versa. Sort of montage-like. That's probably why Morricone is one of my favorite composers. Leone and Morricone did that a lot.

I see. Yes, what Morricone and Leone did on Once Upon a Time in the West in particular was brilliant. Unfortunately, most films today have such tight schedules etc. it's hard for filmmakers to do the same with an original pre-recorded score, although directors do sometimes play suitable music (scores from other films) on set for certain scenes to create mood or set the scene's rhythm etc.. Tarantino, as we know, uses themes, songs, and cues from other films or from past artists and plays those cues over scenes he is filming. It's a great thing to do. It's possible Cary did the same on NTTD for certain scenes.

• edited November 2019 Posts: 3,169
    I just want a little more of this:

"Which comes first, the movie or the music?
    https://www.classicalmpr.org/story/2014/11/05/film-score-picture

Once Upon a Time in America (1984): The film was in production for so long that Mr. Morricone ended up writing most of the music before a single scene was shot. In some cases, Leone played the music for the actors on the set to help them get into character."

And a little less of this, like you were saying:

"Matching music to scenes is much simpler to achieve with today's technology. Composers often deliver "stems" of their score, allowing significant reworking and manipulation as is called for in the editing process. However, in that situation it is rare for the music to play anything other than a supporting role. Composers are typically brought in with only a few weeks to turn something around, so true integration and conversation are streamlined for accessibility and speed, often dependent on temp tracks that limit composers' flexibility."

Because I do agree with this:

"Positioning a composer at the front end of a production uniquely empowers him or her to collaborate and create the film with the writers, cinematographers, actors, directors, etc. The music informs the film's rhythm — indeed, its soul — from the beginning."
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    One reason for which the teaming between Leone and Morricone worked so well (besides them being childhood friends) was that Leone would cherrypick three or four main themes out of the dozens of ideas that Morricone would submit to him while the film was being written.
    Lesser directors would accept anything by Morricone, who was extremely productive in the sixties or seventies (he could score a dozen films within one year) but can be uneven.
    I just want a little more of this:

"Which comes first, the movie or the music?
    https://www.classicalmpr.org/story/2014/11/05/film-score-picture

Once Upon a Time in America (1984): The film was in production for so long that Mr. Morricone ended up writing most of the music before a single scene was shot. In some cases, Leone played the music for the actors on the set to help them get into character."

And a little less of this, like you were saying:

"Matching music to scenes is much simpler to achieve with today's technology. Composers often deliver "stems" of their score, allowing significant reworking and manipulation as is called for in the editing process. However, in that situation it is rare for the music to play anything other than a supporting role. Composers are typically brought in with only a few weeks to turn something around, so true integration and conversation are streamlined for accessibility and speed, often dependent on temp tracks that limit composers' flexibility."

Because I do agree with this:

"Positioning a composer at the front end of a production uniquely empowers him or her to collaborate and create the film with the writers, cinematographers, actors, directors, etc. The music informs the film's rhythm — indeed, its soul — from the beginning."

I believe many filmmakers would love the opportunity to hire their chosen composer early enough to do exactly what Leone and Morricone did so brilliantly. Unfortunately, with budgets and schedules being what they are, it becomes increasing difficult to do that. But it can still happen if the filmmaker (Tarantino for example) is powerful enough to demand such an approach.

• Must be said, Lashana has had a serious glow-up since the Jamaica press reveal. I suppose they have Hollywood-ised her since then. Boy, she does look good.

EKNwfhzWsAAvOQ8?format=jpg&name=large

lashana-lynch-attends-the-65th-evening-standard-theatre-awards-at-the-picture-id1189818243?s=
  • ColonelSun wrote: »
    naplogic wrote: »

Editors strive to deliver a first cut within a week or two after principle photography has wrapped, so the NTTD cut would have been viewed, probably, a couple of weeks ago. Editors hate the term "rough cut" because it implies the editing is just "rough", but that's far from the truth, editors present the best and sharpest cut possible. Once that first cut is viewed, then the editors and the director, with producers chiming in ideas, begin to refine and, of course, trim and tighten things up, or rearrange scenes or cut scenes out etc. etc.

Thanks for clearing that up. The person I spoke to was not a film authority... they are from another industry heavily involved in the movie. Their impressions was that it "looked great." Sorry I don't have more, but I like this person and they like their job.