No Time to Die production thread

Comments

RC7 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    That's really a shame IMO. Have no interest in seeing Bond ' in Cuba ' again. If they want to set the film in Cuba go to Cuba.
    Jamaica has friendly but not especially close relations with Cuba. They are close neighbours but are linguistically and culturally very far apart.
    How many times has Bond visited Cuba now? GE. DAD.

And how many time has he visited Italy?

Or France?

Yes but when he visits France and Italy they shoot there.

I'm not keen on repeated visits to a country where they know they cannot shoot and always use other locations to double for it.

Cuba is a great country with amazing locations - hopefully one day Bond will really get to shoot there. Imagine Bond actually on location in Havana?!

That has always happened.

At least Jamaica is partially used as Jamaica.

Imagine they turn Materna into St Petersburg.

Exactly. At least they shot GE in St Petersburg.

Imagine if they repeatedly used (say) China as a location but never shot there. In SF I think they did at least send the second unit to the actual country even if Craig never set foot in China.

The tank chase in GE was a set built on the lot at Leavesden. Somerset House also doubled for it during the Wade scene, the airport was Epsom, while the Grand Hotel Europe is the Langham in central London. It’s not a new thing - my guess is that the ‘Cuban’ scenes, if they are indeed that, don’t require any landmarks and can be easily doubled around Jamaica. The cost of shifting production is astronomical.

I've been to the Queen's Stand at Epsom which doubled for the exterior of St Petersburg airport!

Very nice. So the boat can anchor there, right? They're not shallow waters there, are they?

I get good vibes from that hut. The blue roof and the wood shades are particularly beautiful. Hope they make good use of those vibrant colours.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 4,619
    Jamaica, Cuba, England, Scotland (according to a recent rumour), Norway, Italy + another location Matera could be standing in for.... aaand my headache is back! Would it have been that difficult to come up with a compelling story that takes place entirely in Jamaica?
    Jamaica, Cuba, England, Scotland (according to a recent rumour), Norway, Italy + another location Matera could be standing in for.... aaand my headache is back! Would it have been that difficult to come up with a compelling story that takes place entirely in Jamaica?

Isn't that story called Dr. No? :)
    Univex wrote: »
    Damn. These photos make me want to see a Bond film without any villains, without any mission, just Bond enjoying himself on a vacation!
    Speaking of locations, won't this mark the fourth out of five DC Bond movies where 007 goes to Italy? I understand that Italy is a beautiful and cinematic country, but c'mon. There are so many locations that Bond has not traveled in the films (Australia and New Zealand, anyone?) so do we need to keep repeating the same ones?

A minor gripe that does not mar my excitement, which is currently through the roof. The knowledge that a new Bond film is in production has me so elated.
    Speaking of locations, won't this mark the fourth out of five DC Bond movies where 007 goes to Italy? I understand that Italy is a beautiful and cinematic country, but c'mon. There are so many locations that Bond has not traveled in the films (Australia and New Zealand, anyone?) so do we need to keep repeating the same ones?

A minor gripe that does not mar my excitement, which is currently through the roof. The knowledge that a new Bond film is in production has me so elated.

Moore also went there 3 films in a row - TSWLM, MR and FYEO
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Damn. These photos make me want to see a Bond film without any villains, without any mission, just Bond enjoying himself on a vacation!

Me too! I already know what will be my favourite bits.

That's a beautiful new Spirit yacht. With a British flag and a Jamaican one ;)

Me too! I already know what will be my favourite bits.

It all has the touch of Fleming about it - relaxing about in Jamaica.
    That's a beautiful new Spirit. With a British flag and a Jamaican one ;)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Still looking bloody good. At present going only on the photos we've seen, it has a simplistic look. No frills, Bond looking relaxed, dressed for the climate and locale.
    I hope it continues. I was watching TB again recently, and a lot happens in each location. With Bond doing many different things. They all work well. It's better story telling than we've had for a while I feel. The 60's Bond's had good stories, and used their locations well. I hope B25 does the same. From what I'm seeing it looks good.
    Benny wrote: »
    Still looking bloody good. At present going only on the photos we've seen, it has a simplistic look. No frills, Bond looking relaxed, dressed for the climate and locale.
    I hope it continues. I was watching TB again recently, and a lot happens in each location. With Bond doing many different things. They all work well. It's better story telling than we've had for a while I feel. The 60's Bond's had good stories, and used their locations well. I hope B25 does the same. From what I'm seeing it looks good.

My very own expectations, @Benny.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Great pictures, I wonder if we’ll see Lea Seydoux on set in Jamaica at all in the next few weeks?
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Great pictures, I wonder if we’ll see Lea Seydoux on set in Jamaica at all in the next few weeks?

That's a very interesting point. So far it seems Bond is having his fun all alone. Which could very well indicate something relation wise. Or then again, she's maybe waiting at home, sunbathing or something.
    If that info is true, I'd say a return from Waltz seems inevitable; likely shot at Pinewood and kept quiet. hopefully given a single SOTL-type prison interrogation scene, Waltz can unleash a corker and go some way toward redeeming his flatter performance in SP.

As for the action scenes, I'm not certain the Land Rover stuff being shot is an action sequence. At least for now my wager is on it being an exposition scene with Bond and Felix - "let's talk and drive." This is based on car chases generally requiring quite a lot of set up that wasn't evident in the images we saw.

octofinger wrote: »
    If that info is true, I'd say a return from Waltz seems inevitable; likely shot at Pinewood and kept quiet. hopefully given a single SOTL-type prison interrogation scene, Waltz can unleash a corker and go some way toward redeeming his flatter performance in SP.

As for the action scenes, I'm not certain the Land Rover stuff being shot is an action sequence. At least for now my wager is on it being an exposition scene with Bond and Felix - "let's talk and drive." This is based on car chases generally requiring quite a lot of set up that wasn't evident in the images we saw.

Agree re: Waltz. And I think if he's back, it means Malek is a Spectre agent, and I think he will be first glimpsed behind the cracked mask in the Norway scenes.

The Land Rover shoot also shows Bond being cut off by another car, so it's not a car chase as such (which obviously take ages to stage, prep and film) but looks like the CIA team, Felix and his co-agent, need to talk to Bond urgently.

Love the new photos. Getting a good "classic Bond film" vibe from the Jamaica location.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Agree re: Waltz. And I think if he's back, it means Malek is a Spectre agent, and I think he will be first glimpsed behind the cracked mask in the Norway scenes.

Well, or Bond & co. are stymied by a master criminal (or a new face on the scene) and have no choice but to turn to Blofeld for advice.

Well, or Bond & co. are stymied by a master criminal (or a new face on the scene) and have no choice but to turn to Blofeld for advice.

Malek maybe striving to become the new No. 1 to replace the imprisoned Blofeld.

That's a very interesting point. So far it seems Bond is having his fun all alone. Which could very well indicate something relation wise. Or then again, she's maybe waiting at home, sunbathing or something.

Sunbathing? lol. She's a qualified doctor, perhaps she's at work whilst Bond becomes the lady of leisure.

God, no.

You don't have to reintroduce Spectre after their half-baked introduction in the previous film. If Malek has a close relationship with either Spectre or Blofeld then my interest will certainly wane. Can't we have a new unique baddie.

Waltz can cameo, but make his involvement akin to Alice Morgan in series 2 of Luther. Bond should just meet him in prison for advice.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 6,677

Sunbathing? lol. She's a qualified doctor, perhaps she's at work whilst Bond becomes the lady of leisure.

Why shouldn't both be having some leisure time? Why shouldn't qualified actors be seen sunbathing? Heck, I'm qualified at a great number of things, and I can't wait to sunbathe as soon as the sun comes out.

PS: Don't try to bait me into thinking I made a misogynist comment. I did not. And I am not a fool.

That being said. On to more important things. I'm going to rip some holes in my 2006 grey t-shirt as well. Make it more comfy and film accurate ;)

PPS: Yes, I'm not ashamed to say I still have my 2006 CR accurate t-shirt :)

God, no.

You don't have to reintroduce Spectre after their half-baked introduction in the previous film. If Malek has a close relationship with either Spectre or Blofeld then my interest will certainly wane. Can't we have a new unique baddie.

Waltz can cameo, but make his involvement akin to Alice Morgan in series 2 of Luther. Bond should just meet him in prison for advice.

Blofeld is going to (happily) offer Bond advice??? Any meeting will be highly charged and, I might suggest, Blofeld is only going to reveal something if a/ his own position/authority in Spectre is under threat, or b/ he wants to continue to manipulate Bond -- or a combination of both. I don't believe Blofeld can ever be bought or offered anything to make him play ball with Bond.

God, no.

Blofeld is going to (happily) offer Bond advice??? Any meeting will be highly charged and, I might suggest, Blofeld is only going to reveal something if a/ his own position/authority in Spectre is under threat, or b/ he wants to continue to manipulate Bond -- or a combination of both. I don't believe Blofeld can ever be bought or offered anything to make him play ball with Bond.

Quite right Col. And it will be a redemption scene in what both actors capabilities are concerned. The "I came here to kill you" scene from SP was the worst part of the entire film, for me that is.
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2019 Posts: 10,512

God, no.

There’s no logical reason to use Blofeld unless there is some connective tissue between him and the villain and/or threat. Dropping him in as a quasi-Lecter figure is hackneyed.

If Malek is a criminal of some renown, it’s fair to assume Blofeld would’ve been aware of him (within the timeline they have constructed), whether he’s Spectre or not - in much the same way the Union Corse had ties with Blofeld through defectors.

Then we have to take into account Madeleine. ‘If’ Blofeld makes an appearance I’ve no doubt the dots will be connected back to one of either her or Malek, or both, in some way.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 2,436
    Think Waltz will be back. If you look at his IMDB profile he's got nothing in the pipeline (except The French Dispatch which is in post-production) which suggests to me that he's made himself free for Bond 25.
    RC7 wrote: »

God, no.

There’s no logical reason to use Blofeld unless there is some connective tissue between him and the villain and/or threat. Dropping him in as a quasi-Lecter figure is hackneyed.

If Malek is a criminal of some renown, it’s fair to assume Blofeld would’ve been aware of him (within the timeline they have constructed), whether he’s Spectre or not - in much the same way the Union Corse had ties with Blofeld through defectors.

Then we have to take into account Madeleine. ‘If’ Blofeld makes an appearance I’ve no doubt the dots will be connected back to one of either her or Malek, or both, in some way.

I agree.

I'm just saying there is a slim chance that Malek and Blofeld are in cahoots. The likelihood is that Blofeld may be aware of Malek's operation due to his underworld connections.

The trail must go cold at some point in the story and Malek has the upper hand. Bond and the team will probably get together and decide that perhaps Blofeld may have some intel to lead to their next clue.

Essentially, Blofeld will serve the same purpose Mr White did in SP. He'll give Bond some evidence but primarily the scene will be about Blofeld taunting Bond.

It's a tiny bit obvious to go for ths route. But, if it's well written and Waltz and Craig act it well. Nothing too hammy (as Waltz tends to do) or too subdued (his whole performance in SP). Then we could have something special............

The really exciting question is, how will Ernst look? Bald head or not?

-DMN-YrrIYcl.jpg
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,295
    It would make sense that De Armas was being sought if they knew they needed a Cuban actress early on.

Yes, that would make perfect sense. It's also positive if the part is written with her in mind (which we might assume given that Cary met with her a while back?).

Don't take this for gospel. i'm only going off a vague translation of the following interview:
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/BwuxsgtlXrS/?utm_source=ig_embed

I have not seen a transcript. It will provide a better idea per the Cuba matter.

Any Spanish speakers who can provide a transcript?

Yes, a transcript would've been great!

Hmm. That's very interesting.

We've seen an entire room of SPECTRE's upper echelons meet, so that are certainly no shortage of people in that leadership group. One might think there'd be a mad scramble to take over. Doesn't seem like enough to drive the plot of the entire film, but could certainly be a dynamic.

Additionally, I've no problem with Jamaica doubling for Cuba if needs be. They pulled it off seamlessly in CR and it added an element of exotic globetrotting that benefited the film. That location with the billboard, being coastal, also looks like it could be some kind of staging area with that giant building/hangar adjacent -- Jamaica might just double for some external shots of Cuba while the remainder of the (rescue? embassy infiltration?) is shot at Pinewood.
    AgentM72 wrote: »

Hmm. That's very interesting.

We've seen an entire room of SPECTRE's upper echelons meet, so that are certainly no shortage of people in that leadership group. One might think there'd be a mad scramble to take over. Doesn't seem like enough to drive the plot of the entire film, but could certainly be a dynamic.

It would mean Malek is one ruthlessly ambitious son-of-a-bitch, which would be a good motor for the character, and writers always want to create a highly motivated villain.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I don’t see Blofeld cooperating.
    It would have to be beautifully written, but a meeting between Bond and Blofeld where Bond makes it appear that he needs a certain bit of information and endures Blofeld’s mind games as he manipulates the imprisoned head of SPECTRE into giving him the actual information needed,
    Bond exits with Blofeld realizing he’s been played. Bond wins.