No Time to Die production thread (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I enjoy the London finale - M meeting Bond at the safe house, exploring the ruins of MI6 covered in orange webs, bringing down the helicopter - to me, the latter is a classic 007 moment, something you'd get points for in a video game. I like @RichardTheBruce's take on it.

I imagine Bond would've used Q's Scubacraft with mounted harpoon seen on his desk, had they still been in the old digs.

Anyway, still adding more NTTD magazines to the stack - the top one is a Hungarian crossword puzzle book with an image of Craig from the NTTD launch at Goldeneye.

51070635646_76f1afa122_o.png

So, um, why is he on a crossword book? Is there a Bond puzzle? And how in the world do you find something like that, if I may ask?
    I find most of this stuff on ebay. It's unusual, that's what I like about it. Couldn't spot any Bond puzzle, however, there is an interview in there in Hungarian - pic below for anyone who can translate:

51001772645_70f23bb1de_o.png
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 25 Posts: 10,401
    TR007 wrote: »
    Bond should have gunned the helicopter down with that badass machine gun he picks up and admires in Q’s lab during the first act of the movie.
    If this was the Brosnan era the Q-boat would have done a sufficient job of shooting it down.
    The Q-boat would have shot a harpoon and hit the chopper where it counts...oh, from underwater.
    The issue I have is you have several iconic buildings there, and the climax is on the bridge!

I would have liked to see a scrap on either the London Eye or Big ben clockface
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    They should have just ended the film with a proper Bond/Madeline escape from Blofeld’s Morocco base. They could have built that up into something great. Instant improvement. I actually stop watching at that point quite often and fill in the rest of what could have been in my imagination lol.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    They should have just ended the film with a proper Bond/Madeline escape from Blofeld’s Morocco base. They could have built that up into something great. Instant improvement.

Following this, a final confrontation with Mr. Hinx, who was thought to be dead, could have been epic, shades of Bond's encounter with Rosa Klebb in From Russia With Love or Tee Hee in Live and Let Die.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 26 Posts: 4,117
    QsCat wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »
    @TripAces With regard to Westminster Bridge, they had already fully built the set. So had to use it.

I believe a similar thing happened with NTTD, when Boyle was working on it, they had either fully or partially built a prison gulag set in Canada. But the whole thing was scrapped.

So that was why? Well it was a convincing set! I assumed it was shot on the bridge.

Ah, yes. Thanks @Mallory and @Contraband and everyone else. I knew it was something along those lines! LOL.

I agree with @talos7 : what leads up to that bridge climax is a mess, but I also think it's partially because the writers were pigeon-holed in getting there. And yes, Bond using the PPK to take down the chopper was underwhelming. I never understood why Bond would let Madeleine walk away, alone at night. It made no sense to have Bond kidnapped and taken to the old MI6 building: the writers should have allowed Bond to get there through his own actions and detective work. It was lazy writing.

I still contend that all the writers needed to do was use the TSWLM as a template. Explosive is a threat and planted by the villain? Check. Bond girl has been kidnapped? Check. Henchman presumed dead is still out there and needs to be dealt with? Well, OK, but it maybe needed to be written in. Thus, Bond needs to fix or disarm the explosives, find the girl, fight the henchman again, and get to the villain (not necessarily in that order). It was really that simple.

As much as I love the helicopter fight in the PTS, Mendes would have been better off moving that to the end, with Hinx, over London. This would have maybe forced the train fight to be a little less climactic, but that would have been fine. Just my two cents.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 26 Posts: 6,696
    TripAces wrote: »
    @TripAces With regard to Westminster Bridge, they had already fully built the set. So had to use it.

I believe a similar thing happened with NTTD, when Boyle was working on it, they had either fully or partially built a prison gulag set in Canada. But the whole thing was scrapped.

So that was why? Well it was a convincing set! I assumed it was shot on the bridge.

Ah, yes. Thanks @Mallory and @Contraband and everyone else. I knew it was something along those lines! LOL.

I agree with @talos7 : what leads up to that bridge climax is a mess, but I also think it's partially because the writers were pigeon-holed in getting there. And yes, Bond using the PPK to take down the chopper was underwhelming. I never understood why Bond would let Madeleine walk away, alone at night. It made no sense to have Bond kidnapped and taken to the old MI6 building: the writers should have allowed Bond to get there through his own actions and detective work. It was lazy writing.

It also makes Madeline look quite selfish: she's travelled back all this way to London with Bond and this is the moment she picks to say she's going? Bond has his hands pretty full with trying to save the world as she's just heard.
    I don't think it's lazy writing as such, it's just that when they were shooting the film the last act 'fell apart' according to Mendes: I think he just found himself stuck.
    Contraband wrote: »

Ha! How does he see? :D
    mtm wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

It also makes Madeline look quite selfish: she's travelled back all this way to London with Bond and this is the moment she picks to say she's going? Bond has his hands pretty full with trying to save the world as she's just heard.
    I don't think it's lazy writing as such, it's just that when they were shooting the film the last act 'fell apart' according to Mendes: I think he just found himself stuck.
    Contraband wrote: »

Ha! How does he see? :D

I have no idea..
    Never had a problem with the PPK vs. the helicopter compared to blowing up SPECTRE HQ with a single shot. Imagine if Bond had done the same in YOLT.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Todd Rundgren - The Want Of A Nail (Letterman 5-26-89)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Does anyone have access or a link to all those water marked set photos that came out a while back? There were a ton of them. I’d love to take a look at those again.
    edited March 28 Posts: 2,485
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Does anyone have access or a link to all those water marked set photos that came out a while back? There were a ton of them. I’d love to take a look at those again.

@DonnyDB5 DM me
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    First look at Bond's new MI6 ID card for No Time to Die:

51083985417_448ec9efe6_o.png

Light hitting the hologram from different angles:
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51083985847_0e204e3992_o.png
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51014705310_e5ac5c1475_o.png
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That’s awesome @QBranch
    Can't be much secret about it if it says so right on the card ! In the books, in terms of appearances, Bond worked for -- and at the offices of -- a company engaged in import/export work. He didn't have a #$*$&-ing card which said "SECRET agent for the UK" right on the face !!!
    Since62 wrote: »
    Can't be much secret about it if it says so right on the card ! In the books, in terms of appearances, Bond worked for -- and at the offices of -- a company engaged in import/export work. He didn't have a #$*$&-ing card which said "SECRET agent for the UK" right on the face !!!

Yep, a Universal Exports or Transworld Consortium card would have made much better sense.
    I don’t think this card is something he would carry with him on missions.
    QBranch wrote: »
    First look at Bond's new MI6 ID card for No Time to Die:

51083985417_448ec9efe6_o.png

Light hitting the hologram from different angles:
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51083985847_0e204e3992_o.png
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51014705310_e5ac5c1475_o.png

Official still?
    Certainly, he'd not carry it on missions -- but he'd use it at the MI-6 HQ ? Wouldn't they just check fingerprint and facial recognition ? I realize this may be just a minor plot device, but it's silly. Really, one could have made this comment going back to the days of Pierce B -- why on earth have Bond go to MI-6, unless by some surreptitious, not observable manner ?
    edited March 30 Posts: 10,401
    Since62 wrote: »
    Certainly, he'd not carry it on missions -- but he'd use it at the MI-6 HQ ? Wouldn't they just check fingerprint and facial recognition ? I realize this may be just a minor plot device, but it's silly. Really, one could have made this comment going back to the days of Pierce B -- why on earth have Bond go to MI-6, unless by some surreptitious, not observable manner ?
    It's just classic fan nitpicking at the end of the day, isn't it?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 30 Posts: 6,696
    I have no idea if this card is based on anything actually from the film, but the organisation really is called SIS- people do work for it. I imagine it's probably mostly referred to as part of the Foreign Office on ID cards and the like though.
  • MalloryMallory Are you ready to get back to work?
    I have no idea if this card is based on anything actually from the film, but the organisation really is called SIS- people do work for it. I imagine it's probably mostly referred to as part of the Foreign Office on ID cards and the like though.

They sell them on the 007 store, so I’d assume they are from the film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 31 Posts: 6,696
    Cool, thank you; it's a fun thing.

I think so, but if you look at the MI6 logo and the signature, they're far different from the ones sold by 007 store
  • MalloryMallory Are you ready to get back to work?

I think so, but if you look at the MI6 logo and the signature, they're far different from the ones sold by 007 store

Well yes, I dont think the real SIS would be too impressed with us all running around with our official looking 007 ID cards. 😂
    A bunch of SIS agents on the field! :))
    Of course
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So what's the photo of? I'm confused.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Wattenscheid
    I mean, yeah, in a real world one of the most unofficial members of MI6 who should internally only be known by his code number would probably not just waltz into the HQ and have a door access card with his real name on it, especially when he uses that real name on missions constantly. But that name thing has been discussed every possible way for forever with Bond and we just have to accept that the whole set-up isn't all that realistic in the modern time, where the British government acknowledges the existence of the SIS publicly and everyone knows where their HQ is and who runs the service.
    It is equally unlikely that such an officer would be briefed in the Chief's office and that the Head of the Secret Intelligence Service, i.e. one of the most senior civil servants in the UKs Foreign and Defence apparatus, would have direct operational control over an agent's mission. But that is the template since ’62 and a change to that would be derided all around. In my head canon at least from CR on, M is the Head of the 00 section and some other unseen bureaucrat takes care of all of the rest of the service. That is the one thing that Carte Blanche gets right in my estimation. Nowadays it makes much more sense that M and Bond and Moneypenny and the rest of them work in a smaller, unofficial side-unit that is tasked with high value field work and not the huge MI6 itself.

In the other hand: Doesn't Fleming basically put into the obit in YOLT that his books exist inside the world of 007 and Bond is basically very well known to the public? That makes all if this much weirder. But again, none of it is all the real to begin with and that's part of the fun in it.