Mr White should have been Blofeld

ossyjackossyjack Blackburn, UK
in Bond Movies Posts: 23
I watched through Spectre again the other day and although I think it has plenty of positives I really think there are a huge amount of flaws and unsatisfactory parts to the movie that take it away from being possibly one of the best films and put it into being a big disappointment.

One thing that irks me more than most is the tenuous Blofeld 'author of all your pain' story - that throughout Craig's movies he has been there in the shadows ultimately responsible for all of Bond's misery and all the other villains we've seen were ultimately acting under Blofeld's umbrella.

I was thinking how much more sensible and workable it would have been for the 'big reveal' to have been that Mr White was infact Blofeld. That Mr White had been responsible for everything - Vesper, Quantum, Silva, M, C - he is the shady character who was seen right back at the start of it all and has been there lurking in the shadows throughout. He was there to execute Le Chiffre and leave Bond and Vesper alive, he was there in Venice to collect the money whilst watching Vesper die and Bond suffer. There could have been a touch of irony that Bond and M had him in custody in QoS but he escaped and went on to cause further misery.

The choice of Waltz to play Blofeld in theory was a good one, but in practice it never really takes off, and there's too much there. I also don't like how they try to convert Mr White into a good villain who suddenly grew a conscience and was subsequently poisoned by Spectre but before he died was able to help Bond on his quest.

The whole thing would have been simpler, cleaner, more structured and in better keeping with the plot if the reveal had been that Mr White was actually Blofeld, he wasn't related to Bond from childhood but had encountered him in the past.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.