Symmetry in Cinematography

13»

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,869
    16bxzjm.jpg
    vngo3p.jpg
    wji7es.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    blade-runner-2049-fan-artwork-7a-1920x1080.jpg

BR2049-Wallpaper-ReplicantDesign.png?x86078
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2019 Posts: 17,805
    Here's what I think is a very good example of symmetry, this time from a mere TV series. It's from Season 3 Columbo episode A Friend in Deed (1974) where the double life of eventual killer Deputy Commissioner Mark Halperin (played by Richard Kiley) is skillfully alluded to at the start of the episode, with the help of a wall mirror:

friend-17.jpg?w=610

It's also been commented how his forked beard adds a satanic element to this classic scene.

More from The Columbophile blog:

The episode’s greatest triumph is the portrayal of central antagonist, Deputy Commissioner Mark Halperin. When we first meet Halperin he’s cavorting with a scarlet-clad woman and gambling in a vice den. There’s something of the devil in his looks and actions and note the clever use of mirrors, suggestive of a man with dual identities and a shadowy alter ego.

Given that we know Columbo represents all that is good about policing, this magnificent introduction sets the stall out early that Commissioner Halperin is a man we can neither like nor trust. And so it proves in riveting fashion.

https://columbophile.wordpress.com/2018/04/28/episode-review-columbo-a-friend-in-deed/
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,281
    Just catching up on this thread, and it's an interesting read! I really like the use of symmetry in cinematography. More often than not, it adds to the experience, and sometimes the story – like the Columbo episode A Friend in Deed (1974), which @Dragonpol mentions above. This is a perfect example really, and I have never though about it watching this episode (which is one of the series' best).

I actually have an issue with symmetry in cinematography – or, it's not an issue, but something that bothers me. It's very rare I experience this, but sometimes it feels a bit forced or "flashy". Has anyone felt that when watching a film?

Like a character or an object being framed in a way that it feels staged or almost unnatural in a way? I can't really put my finger on it, but I have experienced it on a few occasions. Can't remember any examples right now though.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    tenor.gif?itemid=3297908
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    ggl007 wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=3297908

Excellent Duck Soup
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited February 2019 Posts: 3,675
    Just catching up on this thread, and it's an interesting read! I really like the use of symmetry in cinematography. More often than not, it adds to the experience, and sometimes the story – like the Columbo episode A Friend in Deed (1974), which @Dragonpol mentions above. This is a perfect example really, and I have never though about it watching this episode (which is one of the series' best).

I actually have an issue with symmetry in cinematography – or, it's not an issue, but something that bothers me. It's very rare I experience this, but sometimes it feels a bit forced or "flashy". Has anyone felt that when watching a film?

Like a character or an object being framed in a way that it feels staged or almost unnatural in a way? I can't really put my finger on it, but I have experienced it on a few occasions. Can't remember any examples right now though.

No, I have never thought so
    I saw some symmetry in Outlander just now, but I need to figure out how to post a picture.
    A Star is Born has some right in the beginning with Lady Gaga in the bathroom.

No, I have never thought so

Maybe just me then! :))
    Yeah.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I think this thread needs some revival...not that I can give any infusion right now, but still.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,442
    No Time To Die

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2382320/mediaviewer/rm728990465
    Black person every side
    , The Wall, the statue and Daniel Craig in the middle.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2382320/mediaviewer/rm2314043905
    edited December 2019 Posts: 23,347
    The Frightened City
    emotionheader5807879947.png
    The Big Sleep
    ss2436343_-_photograph_of_humphrey_bogart_as_philip_marlowe_lauren_bacall_as_vivian_sternwood_rutledge_from_the_big_sleep_available_in_4_sizes_framed_or_unframed_buy_now_at_starstills__96739__40929.1394490398.jpg?c=2?imbypass=on

240px-Bogart_and_Bacall_The_Big_Sleep.jpg
    Dreyer's Ordet (1955): ideal for Christmas. Or for Easter. Or for anytime...

07_27_ordet_carl_theodor_dreyer.jpg?itok=Ag8uXpsJ

the+ordet.png

ordet.png

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    My fav shot from the trailer.

No-Time-to-Die-tr-075.jpg
  • I'm surprised no one has posted anything from Blade Runner 2049, it looks very Quantum of Solace-friendly.

What a good post this topic is to have on the forum.
    I've always been fascinated by symmetry in movies.
    I'm surprised no one has posted anything from Blade Runner 2049, it looks very Quantum of Solace-friendly.

What a good post this topic is to have on the forum.

I posted some Blade Runner 2049 images above on this page ;)