What's Missing in Craig's Era That Should be Addressed in Bond 25?

2»

Comments

Seriously I would go for M sending him off on a proper mission, unrelated to any personal problems, revenge, or family history.

M: 007, you are a stop a mad industrialist with an elaborate plan for world domination.
    BOND: And he's related to me.
    M: He is not.
    BOND: He is a shadowy figure from my past, then.
    M: I don't think so.
    BOND: A woman I loved is now in a relationship with him.
    M: Actually, he is single at the moment.
    BOND: She's somehow being blackmailed by him?
    M: No.
    BOND: You want me to take on an assignment with no personal connection? You must think this spy business is a paid job for me.
    M: It's not?!
    BOND: No! It's an exploration of my tortured psyche! Give the mission to 003. He has no friends, relatives or loved ones. He follows orders, not opportunities for drama.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 19,339
    Craigs tenure :

CR : total rookie
    QOS : still total rookie
    SF : old dog new tricks/played out/its a young mans game
    SP : No mention of age or what stage his carrier is at.

So inconsistent,almost embarrassing
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2019 Posts: 5,921
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Craigs tenure :

CR : total rookie
    QOS : still total rookie
    SF : old dog new tricks/played out/its a young mans game
    SP : No mention of age or what stage his carrier is at.

So inconsistent,almost embarrassing

It's almost as though Mendes was working through his own demons and mortality, not Bond's.

At least he could have given us Kate Winslet as a villain! ;).

(Anyone who's seen--ahem--Boyle's Steve Jobs knows that Winslet could do a Buntian accent in her sleep.)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think James Bond is missing a classic femme-fatale i.e. Fiona Volpe. In Thunderball, Volpe served as a SPECTRE assassin who acts as the secondary antagonist of the film and is incredibly iconic.

We need a character like this to appear in Bond 25. The closest we've got to female villains in the Craig era is Vesper Lynd and Valenka, Le Chiffre's girlfriend? And I'll be hugely disappointed if we do not get a full on female villain/henchwoman in the entire Craig era.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    A return to Jamaica - such an important part of Bond.

That would bring the 25 film saga full circle.

I said it previously in another thread. End it with Bond getting a message from Strangways about coming down to Jamaica to do some fishing and how he has a matter to discuss regarding a mysterious island

Yes, it would be great if BOND 25 led into Dr No, so new viewers would have a reason to go and watch the classics.

Agreed. That would be a nice nod to where everything started, not to mention a big middle finger to the codename theory!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Seriously I would go for M sending him off on a proper mission, unrelated to any personal problems, revenge, or family history.

M: 007, you are a stop a mad industrialist with an elaborate plan for world domination.
    BOND: You want me to take on an assignment with no personal connection? You must think this spy business is a paid job for me.
    BOND: No! It's an exploration of my tortured psyche! Give the mission to 003. He has no friends, relatives or loved ones. He follows orders, not opportunities for drama.

:)) Brilliant!
    I'm strongly against referencing Strangways. I think it's a bad idea.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed. I'm strongly against such an approach or anything like it as well.

It would require a suspension of disbelief that would be beyond me. I wasn't a fan when they did something similar in the SW series either, but at least there the stories are known to be direct continuity timeline (even if some are physically made afterwards but are meant to represent prior times in movie years).

I am against anything further that attempts to direct continuity reference in the Bond era. There are way too many inconsistencies for it to be palatable for me.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    What Frankenstein wank off the series would be with this forum in charge.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed. I'm strongly against such an approach or anything like it as well.

It would require a suspension of disbelief that would be beyond me. I wasn't a fan when they did something similar in the SW series either, but at least there the stories are known to be direct continuity timeline (even if some are physically made afterwards but are meant to represent prior times in movie years).

I am against anything further that attempts to direct continuity reference in the Bond era. There are way too many inconsistencies for it to be palatable for me.

Indeed. And on top of all that, it's an excessively self-referential thing to do. It has a tinge of cheesy fan fiction to it. It's one thing to reintroduce recurring characters like M, Moneypenny and Q --even Blofeld--, but another to go back to one-off characters. Next time we'll be referencing Goldfinger. Those are past missions; let them stay in the past and give us new adventures with new characters.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,415
    Back to Bond home from Spectre. Bond sleaping, the light is on and it is more of mess. Or better Bond is missing and Moneypenny and M visiting his house. The tv is on playing new episode of Tom & Jerry, a weird episode where scene from be later seen in the movie. M set it off before you see something inportent, maintitles. I even think about gunbarrel as last shot in episode and then turn in real maintitle.

Think On Your Sins whas very weird to see with first view. Also reference to SP, where showing us a mouse and cats and talking about a mouse and cats.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom

This raised a titter!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 7,964
    I think Aquaman was a moment. I can't remember the last time a movie that goofy was so successful. I mean, GOOFY. The idea of a flagship franchise steering into that direction a few years ago would have been the kiss of death. The new Star Wars has a little bit of goofiness, but it is balanced with a more serious story, with drama and consequence. Aquaman is a romp on the old sense of the word. Not a very good one, but still it tells us something that a movie like that could be this big (approaching 900 million, more successful that SPECTRE).

If something is missing in the Criags era, it's a sense of adventure and breeziness. Some hated the moments of levity in SP, but I wish they had done what Aquaman did, and go the whole hog with it, instead of holding back and hedging their bets with the brothergate/survelliance plot. Bond needs to be fun again.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    So, what's missing in Craig's era that should be addressed in Bond 25?

Mmmh, okay.

- Some crazy underwater action.
    - Sharks.
    - Japan, please.
    - A female villain.
    - Some mountain/skyscraper climbing.
    - Bond losing his memory.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,415
    39932aee-6ccd-4111-9d0e-934337591185.jpg
    Lucia should have as pet with her own Spectre ring. She send later to Bond with her own blood.
    As reference to TMWTGG, Flemings last novel also and Fleming give birth to Bond based on a book about birds. Lucia should keep in middle of depression (but also be a bit Irma Bunt /Helga Brandt like) and should be kild by the animal who release her self.

Of course she and animal are hide far a way from the living world and Bond should get feeling he has les space then them. Mabey discovery of her princes style location (more bunker, but feels for her more like a castle) should be introduced by fly scene and special Lucia music track.

Property Of A Lady you can do a lot with it.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    A gunbarrel sequence that is not screwed up in some way.

This.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    A Bond girl/villain like Luv.

10351.jpg
  • I’d like to see DC dressed in a suit not cut for someone half his age.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,630

This.

I'll just drop this here ;)

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

This.

Perfection.
  • Fun!
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Fun!

^This

This.

^That is spot on! We haven't had a proper one in 16 years and counting...that's if you count DAD as a proper one
    w2bond wrote: »
    Fun!

^This

This.

^That is spot on! We haven't had a proper one in 16 years and counting...that's if you count DAD as a proper one

I don't count DAD as a proper anything ;)
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Univex wrote: »
    I don't count DAD as a proper anything ;)

Hahaha fair enough. I feel Brosnan put in a good effort with what he was given. Shame about the rest of the film.
    He tried. What's funny about DAD to me is that the first hour always tricks me into thinking it's actually good. Then the second hour kicks in and it's like, "what on Earth is happening?!? Is this real?" I don't know of another film that nosedives so fast and so far from a decent beginning.
    At some point, I want to see Craig let out a big hearty chuckle like Connery during the gypsy dance.
    SKI SEQUENCE
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    A proper femme-fatale
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    At some point, I want to see Craig let out a big hearty chuckle like Connery during the gypsy dance.
    Already saw that in CR after the poker game, at the dinner table with Vesper, when he says (with a mouthful of food), "Well, that's fine then!"

That's all that is allowed, Matt. One chuckle per Emo-Bond.