James Bond opera in Canada

in News Posts: 2,115
Discussion about it today on the CBC:

Story on the CBC website.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/james-bond-opera-ottawa-1.4615258

Made possible by the Bond character being in the public domain in Canada.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Didn't the Saltzman family try some kind of James Bond opera a few years ago but were stopped in their tracks by Eon?
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    Didn't the Saltzman family try some kind of James Bond opera a few years ago but were stopped in their tracks by Eon?

A woman named Merry Saltzman (as opposed to multiple family members). But, yes, she said she planned a James Bond musical. Eon objected. She said her project would qualify as parody (an example of fair use). The people involved with this new project say it's taken "from the books" and the literary character is in public domain in Canada.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

A woman named Merry Saltzman (as opposed to multiple family members). But, yes, she said she planned a James Bond musical. Eon objected. She said her project would qualify as parody (an example of fair use). The people involved with this new project say it's taken "from the books" and the literary character is in public domain in Canada.

Thanks for the clarification. It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens with this new James Bond opera (it's rather weird to type that!), if anything.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    If they're so confident about their public domain rights why make an opera instead of a film? There's millions to be made out there, especially given EON's lethargy. Cast Idris Elba and people will be throwing money at you to make it.

But it sounds utterly awful: the Barber of Seville with Bond lyrics? Jesus.

Not sure I like the sound of this,and the easy access to Bond just by mentioning the books.

Could open up a whole can of worms .
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    All I can say is ew.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    It's a pastiche - things like this go back as far as the time of Mozart. They would use the popular tunes of the day, or in this case the popular tunes of opera, and have a new story around it.

It's definitely not an opera in the traditional sense of the word, but more along the lines of the jukebox musical that is ravaging Broadway and the West End
  • peterpeter Toronto
    A few years ago some producers in Toronto were saying they were going to start their own Bond series now that the books were back in the public domain in Canada.

They were talking Gosling as 007.

They very quickly disappeared.

As will this opera. In fact i know one of the biggest theatre producers in Canada. If this even has a sniff of legitimacy, he will know.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Wow, I take back everything I said: this seems to actually be happening. And this weekend too. It’s taking place in Ottawa— im not sure if this is some smaller community theatre production, or a professional Equity approved production
    peter wrote: »
    Wow, I take back everything I said: this seems to actually be happening. And this weekend too. It’s taking place in Ottawa— im not sure if this is some smaller community theatre production, or a professional Equity approved production

Can of worms situation.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, @barryt007 , exactly what I was thinking. They actually have trailers up on the ‘net; although it seems like a small production, it does open up the possibility of others doing their own projects— maybe not as a film series, but what about a web series? Or pod casts.

This first step was ballsy and I wonder if EoN contacted them? The show only runs for three days...
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Yes, @barryt007 , exactly what I was thinking. They actually have trailers up on the ‘net; although it seems like a small production, it does open up the possibility of others doing their own projects— maybe not as a film series, but what about a web series? Or pod casts.

This first step was ballsy and I wonder if EoN contacted them? The show only runs for three days...

EON need to somehow close this avenue down before this gets out of hand,maybe contact the Fleming family again.

• peterpeter Toronto
    It’s tricky: it’s in the public domain, they’re not basing it off any of the stories or films, just using the Bond character in an “original “ story using famous classical pieces.... I dunno how you’d stop this (it’s not competing with the EoN brand...).

It’s a tricky one and the first step where others will now run with this...
    It’s tricky: it’s in the public domain, they’re not basing it off any of the stories or films, just using the Bond character in an “original “ story using famous classical pieces.... I dunno how you’d stop this (it’s not competing with the EoN brand...).

It’s a tricky one and the first step where others will now run with this...

Exactly...watch this space.

• edited April 2018 Posts: 5,808

OH ! MY ! GOD !!!!!

That's a very bad idea. No, really.I am voiceless.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Not sure I like the sound of this,and the easy access to Bond just by mentioning the books.

Could open up a whole can of worms .

That would be exactly how I feel about it too, Barry.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Probably better in Italian or German.
    Probably better in Italian or German.

Yes, then English speakers wouldn't have to cringe at the truly awful lyrics.
  • If they're so confident about their public domain rights why make an opera instead of a film? There's millions to be made out there, especially given EON's lethargy. Cast Idris Elba and people will be throwing money at you to make it.

But it sounds utterly awful: the Barber of Seville with Bond lyrics? Jesus.

To be clear, the only part that's in public domain in Canada (at the moment) is the literary character. There has already been one collection of "unauthorized" Bond stories published in Canada.