Comments

Ruined in a flood? Oh no! Sorry to hear that.
    Rare ?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Rare ?

As far as I know it's a pretty rare item. Certainly one I wouldn't mind adding to my collection.

You means this particullary edition or the entire comics Dr. No ?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It was an issue of DC SHOWCASE, compiled from a previously issued strip adaptation of the film. Not on the cover, but with the interior art Bond is drawn to look like Connery.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Ruined in a flood? Oh no! Sorry to hear that.

That's the story, anyway. I went to college, my mom moved to Delaware, with my comic book collection (the only incarnation of my collection that held any real financial value, a lot of important '60s and '70s books). She claimed they were destroyed in a basement flood and had to be thrown out. But I have always suspected that she just wanted to save space and got rid of them.

Oh, no! Reading this makes me want to place all my comics in waterproof boxes!

Comic books go for incredible prizes these days. Mint condition ones are probably hard to come by, but still.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I bought it for $20 at a comic book convention in NYC in the '70s. Ruined in a flood in Delaware in the early '80s.

Sorry to hear that, @Birdleson. That would make an interesting addition to that thread by @PropertyOfALady on damaged Bond items.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    That thing costs a lot of money!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    That thing costs a lot of money!

It does. I've known about it since 1995, in my early days as a Bond fan. However, I never knew that it was quite so scarce or valuable. A lot beyond my budget I'm afraid. I'm mad but not quite that mad!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Yikes! £265!?!
    Yeah, for a comic! Sweet Jezebel, I'll just pursue the content in a dark alley on the Internet, thank you very much.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I do have a digital version of it, and it's the American version where Quarrel is portrayed as a white (due to the absurd laws, back then). Yes, it's the DC Showcase publication.

However, I'd love to get my hands on an actual copy of the original UK release of the Classics Illustrated.
    Yeah, for a comic! Sweet Jezebel, I'll just pursue the content in a dark alley on the Internet, thank you very much.

You've reminded me that there was in fact a digitised version of this comic online at one stage. It may still be out there somewhere. Much better value!
    Dragonpol wrote: »

You've reminded me that there was in fact a digitised version of this comic online at one stage. It may still be out there somewhere. Much better value!

Years ago I downloaded some pages of it (don't know from where), but I have yet to see and read the full comic.

Years ago I downloaded some pages of it (don't know from where), but I have yet to see and read the full comic.

Perhaps I have it in .pdf file format somewhere in my PC. I'll have to check.

Perhaps I have it in .pdf file format somewhere in my PC. I'll have to check.

Nice! Sure there's many of us that have yet to read the full thing! :-)

Sweet - will be an interesting read! No need to go through the trouble finding the PDF, @Dragonpol!

Anyone know the artist? Couldn't see anything other than an unreadable signature on the first page of the story.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423

Sweet - will be an interesting read! No need to go through the trouble finding the PDF, @Dragonpol!

Anyone know the artist? Couldn't see anything other than an unreadable signature on the first page of the story.
    The interior art is illustrated by Norman J Nodel. The American DC Showcase cover art is done by Bob Brown. Can't recall who did the Classics Illustrated edition.

The interior art is illustrated by Norman J Nodel. The American DC Showcase cover art is done by Bob Brown. Can't recall who did the Classics Illustrated edition.

Thanks for the info! Don't think I've ever seen artwork by either Norman J Nodel or Bob Brown other than this Showcase comic book.

Thanks for the info! Don't think I've ever seen artwork by either Norman J Nodel or Bob Brown other than this Showcase comic book.
    Apparently, Nodel also did the Classics Illustrated cover. I'll also add that he adapted the film's screenplay to a script for the comic book.
    No, this comic is hardly rare. It's not as easy to find as, say, a die-cast Aston Martin or Funko Pop thing, but not a holy grail either.

As a regular eBay surfer, I see at least one of these issues up for auction on the U.S. site weekly. I don't own one myself, but wouldn't mind. The issue the original poster linked was a graded copy, so that's going to make it more valuable.

Problem is you can't take it out of that plastic container or it loses the graded seal and if I have a piece of memorabilia like a comic then I want to be able to read it. It's different for sports cards, which you can see both sides of even if they are graded and slabbed.
    Exactly, @BT3366. I want to read a comic, not drool over it. I'm certainly not going to spend 200 dollars and then not read it.

Apparently, Nodel also did the Classics Illustrated cover. I'll also add that he adapted the film's screenplay to a script for the comic book.

Interesting! Take it that the Classics Illustrated version is a completely different thing from the DC Showcase one?

Interesting! Take it that the Classics Illustrated version is a completely different thing from the DC Showcase one?
    Not completely. Just minor differences, like Quarrel becoming white, and any black character being white-washed, which is rather idiotic, in my opinion.
    The whitewashing is indeed ridiculous. And painful. Try to explain that to a black person. I can't.

Not completely. Just minor differences, like Quarrel becoming white, and any black character being white-washed, which is rather idiotic, in my opinion.

Idiotic, indeed. A product of it's time, but with the film having several black characters, you'd expect them to keep it that way. Dr. No is actually a very diverse film, come to think of it – even if the story allows it to be!
    The UK publication apparently didn't have that problem.

Was the ethnicity issue so difficult in the U.S. at the time, that even a secondary character in a comic book couldn't be coloured?
    Was the ethnicity issue so difficult in the U.S. at the time, that even a secondary character in a comic book couldn't be coloured?
    I get it that "coloured" people in the US back then weren't allowed to have a big voice and all, but Quarrel wasn't even an American. He was a Jamaican. Were people really that dumb back then? I don't know. A Jamaican character who couldn't be black. Go figure.
    I get it that "coloured" people in the US back then weren't allowed to have a big voice and all, but Quarrel wasn't even an American. He was a Jamaican. Were people really that dumb back then? I don't know. A Jamaican character who couldn't be black. Go figure.

It's just so strange, and most of all sad. And you're absolutely right, he wasn't even an American. Would love to see the Classics Illustrated version at some point. At least that one seems to have done the colouring properly.