The 2018 Winter Olympics

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Everyone who knows me is aware that sports aren't my thing and I seldom get into them unless it's to laugh at the Patriots losing (the recent Super Bowl was nice for me) but I'd be lying if I said that Shaun White competing for gold didn't get me on the edge of my seat. Don't know anything about snowboarding, what all the numbers and wacky trick names mean or signify and only knew who White was because he's a Yank and I like the guy's personality, but it's nice to see someone like him win. After seeing what he did tonight, it's no mystery why he's considered the top of the top. Taking all that pressure and just focusing on getting the job done where it counted. Pretty amazing stuff.

I think these snowboarders are nuts for doing what they do, flipping around on top of what is basically concrete at fifteen plus feet high going fast as all hell, but Christ do I respect them. Truly titan athletes.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Everyone who knows me is aware that sports aren't my thing and I seldom get into them unless it's to laugh at the Patriots losing (the recent Super Bowl was nice for me) but I'd be lying if I said that Shaun White competing for gold didn't get me on the edge of my seat. Don't know anything about snowboarding, what all the numbers and wacky trick names mean or signify and only knew who White was because he's a Yank and I like the guy's personality, but it's nice to see someone like him win. After seeing what he did tonight, it's no mystery why he's considered the top of the top. Taking all that pressure and just focusing on getting the job done where it counted. Pretty amazing stuff.

I think these snowboarders are nuts for doing what they do, flipping around on top of what is basically concrete at fifteen plus feet high going fast as all hell, but Christ do I respect them. Truly titan athletes.

Shawn White was too epic for words. Brilliant to see him win after the disaster in Sochi 2014.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Shawn White was too epic for words. Brilliant to see him win after the disaster in Sochi 2014.
    @PropertyOfALady, and coming off the back of that injury late last year I only heard about tonight. He's tough, and can turn failures into preparation for a better return the next go around. And what a return it was. Very cool to be able to see history as it happens. As we was on his last run I wasn't even able to really take in all his flips because I just kept thinking in my head, "That's great, but don't fall, don't fall, don't fall," considering that most of those who tried to go for the gold by being bold ended up eating snow. Amazing to see what he did there, and I love his humbleness even in victory. Considerate and warm with his competition, and very down to earth about the sport and his part in it. Good role model for the kids and aspiring sportsmen.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

@PropertyOfALady, and coming off the back of that injury late last year I only heard about tonight. He's tough, and can turn failures into preparation for a better return the next go around. And what a return it was. Very cool to be able to see history as it happens. As we was on his last run I wasn't even able to really take in all his flips because I just kept thinking in my head, "That's great, but don't fall, don't fall, don't fall," considering that most of those who tried to go for the gold by being bold ended up eating snow. Amazing to see what he did there, and I love his humbleness even in victory. Considerate and warm with his competition, and very down to earth about the sport and his part in it. Good role model for the kids and aspiring sportsmen.

Oh definitely, yeah.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 7,500
    Congratulations to Aksel Lund Svindal! That gold medal in the men's downhill is so well deserved. That compatriot Kjetil Jansrud takes silver is the icing on the cake.

Norway has never win the Olympic downhill before. About time! :D
    And talking about deserved gold medals, so is certainly also Ragnhild Haga's in the women's 10k cross country skiing! She has been top three in all races in this discipline throughout the season. Marit Bjørgen in third is closing in on Ole Einar Bjørndalens record for most medals in winter Olympics. She will almost certainly surpass it.

That is five medals this morning for Norway, and sixteen in total, the most of any nation. Germany still have more golds though...
  • GBFGBF
    jobo wrote: »
    And talking about deserved gold medals, so is certainly also Ragnhild Haga's in the women's 10k cross country skiing! She has been top three in all races in this discipline throughout the season. Marit Bjørgen in third is closing in on Ole Einar Bjørndalens record for most medals in winter Olympics. She will almost certainly surpass it.

That is five medals this morning for Norway, and sixteen in total, the most of any nation. Germany still have more golds though...

That is true. It is amazing how many gold medals go to Germany this year. They already have more now than in Sotchi four years ago. They also won the first gold medal in figur skating since 1954. So poor Bibi has to wait four more years...
    Talking about gold medals... That is the third in just one day for Norway, Johannes Bø finally getting things right in the 20km biiathlon! That is Norway's sixth gold medal. We are comimg for you, Germany ;)
    Talking about gold medals... That is the third in just one day for Norway, Johannes Bø finally getting things right in the 20km biiathlon! That is Norway's sixth gold medal. We are comimg for you, Germany ;)

Great effort by Bø! Overall good team performance, as well, with Svendsen 10th, and Tarjei Bø 13th. Birkeland ended up 60th, but that can happen. Even Fourcade missed twice at the 4th shooting!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Well it's about time something managed to surpass your previous sporting high water mark - beating England 2-1 in 1981.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Great to see my favourite, Liechtenstein’s Tina Weirather, take home the bronze medal in the women’s Super-G!

Rest of the podium also two of my favourites. Definite highlight of the Olympics for me.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,272

Well it's about time something managed to surpass your previous sporting high water mark - beating England 2-1 in 1981.

People still mention that game here, you know!

To be fair we took one hell of a beating!

(Well I'd hardly describe a 2-1 scoreline as such but I'm not about to piss on Bjørge's parade)

(Well I'd hardly describe a 2-1 scoreline as such but I'm not about to piss on Bjørge's parade)

It is probably the high point in Norwegian commentary history, sure. But it is mostly remembered for Bjørge's performance, not the actual result. ;)

It is probably the high point in Norwegian commentary history, sure. But it is mostly remembered for Bjørge's performance, not the actual result. ;)

And what a performance!
    Norway reached the knock-outs in the 1998 World Cup, beating Brazil in the final group stage game. Surely that’s more of a shock than beating a mediocre England side in the qualifiers?

Also, Norway has been dominating the Winter Olympics since the dawn of men. I think that should count for something, right? ;)
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Norway reached the knock-outs in the 1998 World Cup, beating Brazil in the final group stage game. Surely that’s more of a shock than beating a mediocre England side in the qualifiers?

Not really given the fact Brazil were already through and couldn't be caught so no doubt had taken their foot off the gas.

Also Norway in 98 were a half decent team whereas in 81 they hadn't qualified for a tournament since 1938 (their record P1 L1) so beating an established nation (even though we were shit at the time) was quite a big deal - hence the commentator losing his shit. Also lest we forget despite that historic win they still finished bottom of the group (P8 W2 D2 L4) whilst England were a Kevin Keegan sitter away from the semis.
    Also, Norway has been dominating the Winter Olympics since the dawn of men. I think that should count for something, right? ;)

Not really-

1) They have lots of snow so no excuses not to be a force at the Winter Olympics. It's hardly a coincidence that African countries win shit all and countries with snow and mountains clean up all the medals. If there was an Olympics of sports that required heat, sand and government corruption then I think we might see Norway down the bottom and places like Chad and Eritrea ahead of them.

2) Who actually gives a genuine toss about the Winter Olympics? It's not football is it?
    It's a nice little diversion for a few weeks and I always love it more than the main Olympics but people aren't going to watch it week in week out are they?
    @TheWizardOfIce

In fact Brazil was very intent on teaching Norway a lesson after our coach said Brazil would be a better team with him in charge prior to the game...

And The Winter Olympics is important enough to make Russia, a country with endless snow plains and hundreds of million inhabitants use systematic doping to beat Norway. And Germany, Canada and United States to give it extensive coverage. As with so many things in life; food, art, fashion, style, football etc, the fact that Great Brittain is shit at it doesn't make it worthless.
    @TheWizardOfIce

In fact Brazil was very intent on teaching Norway a lesson after our coach said Brazil would be a better team with him in charge prior to the game...

And The Winter Olympics is important enough to make Russia, a country with endless snow plains and hundreds of million inhabitants use systematic doping to beat Norway. And Germany, Canada and United States to give it extensive coverage. As with so many things in life; food, art, fashion, style, football etc, the fact that Great Brittain is shit at it doesn't make it worthless.

The BBC are giving it extensive coverage too. Coverage doesn't mean it matters. Exhibit A - NFL.

Football matters. Other sports are just chutney.
    As a gentleman you should know, there is golf and below that comes everything else ;)
    As a gentleman you should know, there is golf and below that comes everything else ;)

I thought fox hunting was the hit thing?
  • GBFGBF
    Well, only counting medals does not reflect the Olympic spirit :-) Actually for having little snow and hardly any winter sport infrastructure, the Brits are quite good, at least in Skeleton.
    GBF wrote: »
    Well, only counting medals does not reflect the Olympic spirit :-) Actually for having little snow and hardly any winter sport infrastructure, the Brits are quite good, at least in Skeleton.

You don't need snow to do skeleton ;)

The fact that the British do well their is because you have so many skeletons! At least following previous logic... ;)
    edited February 2018 Posts: 6,778
    The most impressive Olympic record obviously comes from Liechtenstein, with only 40.000 inhabitants and 10 medals, they have the highest amount of medals per capita of any country in the world. With one medal for every 3.600 inhabitants.
    The most impressive Olympic record obviously comes from Liechtenstein, with only 40.000 inhabitants and 10 medals, they have the highest amount of medals per capita of any country in the world. With one medal for every 3.600 inhabitants.

That's impressive for sure! But one has to take into account that there are roughly five times (or more??) as many possible medals to win in the summer Olympics.
    Which makes it even more impressive since they’re the only country to win all their medals at the Winter Olympics. Actually they won every single medal in the same discipline: alpine skiing.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited February 2018 Posts: 3,277
  • GBFGBF
    edited February 2018 Posts: 3,195
    Well OK, but are you sure that all medal winners from Liechtenstein are actually born there or may there be some who changed their nationality because competition in Switzerland or Austria was too high.

I always think of Marc Girardelli who was Austrian but was very successfully competing for Luxembourg.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 6,778
    GBF wrote: »
    Well OK, but are you sure that all medal winners from Liechtenstein are actually born there or may there be some who changed their nationality because competition in Switzerland or Austria was too high.

I always think of Marc Girardelli who was Austrian but was very successfully competing for Luxembourg.

Pretty sure, 7 out of the 10 medals has been won by people from the same family ;)

Though I knew about Girardelli too, happily for Luxembourg because how else would they have won a medal in the Winter Olympics?