Bond film ranking tournament. DN vs LTK and YOLT vs GE

1356772

Comments

  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Everything Gulch
    Posts: 29,446
    MR beats DAF 22-8

    YOLT beats DAD 27-3


    Landslide for the Gilbert films. Over to Round 2.

    LALD vs TMWTGG

    and

    DAD vs SF
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 7,419
    Both of these are easy for me.

    LALD over TMWTGG. The only thing TMWTGG might have over LALD is a better Bond villain, but even then Kananga is a very good villain. Moore is good in both but better in LALD. LALD is far more memorable and legitimately humorous than TMWTGG. LALD is just barely outside my Top 10, while TMWTGG is stuck in my bottom 5.

    SF over DAD. DAD is nearly at the bottom of the pile on my list, and SF is #4 on my list right now. Total blowout; not one thing I really prefer about DAD over SF. One of Craig's best against Brosnan's worst.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Everything Gulch
    Posts: 29,446
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Both of these are easy for me.

    LALD over TMWTGG. The only thing TMWTGG might have over LALD is a better Bond villain, but even then Kananga is a very good villain. Moore is good in both but better in LALD. LALD is far more memorable and legitimately humorous than TMWTGG. LALD is just barely outside my Top 10, while TMWTGG is stuck in my bottom 5.

    SF over DAD. DAD is nearly at the bottom of the pile on my list, and SF is #4 on my list right now. Total blowout; not one thing I really prefer about DAD over SF. One of Craig's best against Brosnan's worst.

    My vote as well.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Station B, Belgium
    Posts: 3,057
    Everyone knows I’m one of the few TMWTGG fans. I like the atmosphere, Scaramanga, the girls, the sets, the score and the absurd nature of this film.

    The other match is, even for a staunch Pierce defender like myself, no contest. Give me Broz’s first three pictures over any of these two but for now SF wins.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 7,079
    LALD > TMWTGG

    LALD - one of the first 5 or so Bond films I ever saw. I've never thought less of it, always held it in high regard. A real treat, love the voodoo themes. The only thing naff here is Jay Dubya.. and then, he's not that bad but gets a bit too much screen time IMO.

    TMWTGG - some great stuff happening here - Scaramanga and his dinner with Bond, island lair, Bond waiting across from the Bottoms Up, checking his Rolex with stogie between teeth. Like SF, the Macau scenes are one of the highlights of the film, but there's also a lot of naff stuff which should've been cut: slide whistle, ballet school etc.

    SF > DAD

    SF - I really love the middle of SF - the Shanghai-Macau-London scenes, as well as Silva's entrance and speech - except for him referring to 'those fools in Q-Branch' - which I took as a personal swipe. Still, a great Bond film and different in tone to everything that came before.

    DAD - like the last round with SP, I still find DAD slightly more entertaining than SF, but we know which is the better made film, and SF manages not to force every homage imaginable into it for the big Five-Oh.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Everything Gulch
    Posts: 29,446
    QBranch wrote: »
    SF - I really love the middle of SF - the Shanghai-Macau-London scenes, as well as Silva's entrance and speech - except for him referring to 'those fools in Q-Branch' - which I took as a personal swipe.

    Ha ha !
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 7,079
    QBranch wrote: »
    SF - I really love the middle of SF - the Shanghai-Macau-London scenes, as well as Silva's entrance and speech - except for him referring to 'those fools in Q-Branch' - which I took as a personal swipe.
    Ha ha !
    We're much cleverer than we look - so not very clever at all then, I guess :(
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 7,419
    Not such a clever boy...

    Real SF fans will get that joke.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Posts: 1,984
    LALD takes down TMWTGG, which is kind of just a worse version. Only the villain and climax are better in TMWTGG.

    SF vs DAD couldn't have been more lopsided. SF takes it home in every category.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CA
    edited June 5 Posts: 23,879
    I love TMWTGG, but LALD is one of my favorites, so it goes to Moore's first.

    Both films have a weak final act, but SF is a far better and more enjoyable film.
  • barryt007barryt007 Hunting Kara Milovy with a massive elephant gun.
    Posts: 16,232
    LALD & SF......
  • Posts: 3,476
    Another easy one.

    LALD and SF
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Posts: 1,254
    I'd have to go with LALD, when it's against something as unsteady as TMWTGG.

    SF over DAD.
  • BennyBenny And I'm wearing a red shirt !
    Posts: 7,681
    LALD vs TMWTGG

    DAD vs SF

    Gotta say DAD v SF had to have more thought than I would imagine.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 22,746
    LALD vs TMWTGG - LALD by a hair. I love them both immensely, although objectively his first effort is superior. Atmosphere, visuals and quirkiness go to TMWTGG however, and I really do enjoy Barry's score (although I love Martin's as well). I also am a fan of the 'Carry On' style raunch humour elements sprinkled throughout, which were surely intentional. Most importantly however, I really like the kung fu encounter (all of it, including Hip's betrayal, his nieces, and the famous 'bow kick' which I believe was a precursor to Indy's shoot first sequence in Raiders).

    SF vs DAD - SF. I didn't have to think about this one. Both anniversary films, but one is a classic while the other is a shambles. Probably one of the easiest choices I've had to make on this site and really doesn't require justification imho.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    Posts: 299
    LALD > TMWTGG

    Tempted to be the first to go for TMWTGG as it has possibly my favourite villain in the series, but LALD is a more well rounded adventure, with a pretty great line up of villains and henchman in itself.

    SF > DAD

    Why?

    You know the answer to that. You know the whole story.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Station B, Belgium
    Posts: 3,057
    NSGW wrote: »
    LALD > TMWTGG

    Tempted to be the first to go for TMWTGG as it has possibly my favourite villain in the series, but LALD is a more well rounded adventure, with a pretty great line up of villains and henchman in itself.

    I would have beat you to it anyway. And for the same reason as well ;)
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited November 2017 Posts: 299
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    NSGW wrote: »
    LALD > TMWTGG

    Tempted to be the first to go for TMWTGG as it has possibly my favourite villain in the series, but LALD is a more well rounded adventure, with a pretty great line up of villains and henchman in itself.

    I would have beat you to it anyway. And for the same reason as well ;)

    Oh yeah you did, great to see at least someone sticking up for it, I think I'm already regretting my vote :(
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!
    Posts: 15,531
    Round 2

    LALD vs TMWTGG: LALD

    Jane Seymour heals all the wounds, including Rosie, JW and the Tarot card thing. Plus, the stupid Beirut scene and Barry's whistle are unforgivable.

    DAD vs SF: SF

    DAD can be enjoyable but in terms of pure quality, SF beats it every time.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya God I love Quantum of Solace
    Posts: 2,214
    Live and Let Die beats The man with the golden gun for sure, as it is much more entertaining. Now for skyfall and DAD, I actually put them in the same boat so I had to look back at my personal Rankings and it turns out I have DAD just one spot above skyfall, so there you go, DAD beats skyfall
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    Posts: 2,005
    TMWTGG is my pick over LALD. That's pretty easy for me to decide as I found Scaramanga to be one of the best villain I've seen in a Bond film.

    The other match is a challenge. I remember DAD well and I had so much fun watching it from start to finish.
    Skyfall is so different and if it's only for picking the one I was more entertained with then it's DAD, even if I was thinking watching Skyfall, that it is one of the few unique special Bond films.

    My pick. DAD, because that's a film I will watch again a lot of times for sure.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Posts: 2,401
    TMWTGG beats LALD. Actually a tough choice, but neither of these films are very high in my rankings.

    DAD beats SF. Corny entertainment beats artistic boredom every time.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Posts: 3,795
    Round Two:

    LALD beats Golden Gun

    Although the two leads in GG are class acts, the rest of the film struggles to match it. Whilst LALD - sans Pepper - is a pretty good picture.

    SF beats DAD

    A film that subverts many of the Bondian tropes, yet still feels classic Bond, versus DAD, a film made for teenagers. (By teenagers it seems)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 7,079
    royale65 wrote: »
    DAD, a film made for teenagers. (By teenagers it seems)
    Youth is no guarantee of innovation.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Posts: 1,814
    LALD (my favourite Roger film) and SF
  • GBFGBF
    Posts: 2,887
    LALD >TMWGg

    SF > DAD
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Posts: 6,070
    LALD over TMWTGG - I have a newfound appreciation for Gun. It used to be near the bottom of my rankings, but jumped up a few spots due to my reassessment. That being said, it can't hold a candle to LALD, which I have loved since I first saw it as a kid.

    SF over DAD - This really is no contest, even though I may not enjoy SF quite as much as I used to.
  • barryt007barryt007 Hunting Kara Milovy with a massive elephant gun.
    Posts: 16,232
    QBranch wrote: »
    royale65 wrote: »
    DAD, a film made for teenagers. (By teenagers it seems)
    Youth is no guarantee of innovation.

    They still have spots.

  • Posts: 3,476
    barryt007 wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »
    royale65 wrote: »
    DAD, a film made for teenagers. (By teenagers it seems)
    Youth is no guarantee of innovation.

    They still have spots.

    What sharp little eyes you've got
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns Eye of the Tiger
    Posts: 5,781
    LALD
    DAD
Sign In or Register to comment.