Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    GF over DAF.

YOLT was Gilbert's practice run, Spy nailed the epic Bondian adventure.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GF beats DAF 18-2

TSWLM beats YOLT 16-4

Round 22:

TMWTGG vs FYEO

and

TWINE vs SP
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    FYEO
    AND
    SP
    FYEO dominates TMWTGG.

TWINE edges out SP.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited March 2018 Posts: 6,791
    My two favourite Moore films, but FYEO takes it with a narrow victory.
    The other one is no contest: TWINE.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    TMWTGG
    TWINE
    FYEO
    SP
  • GBFGBF
    FYEO
    TWINE

Both by quite a margin.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 19,339
    TMWTGG
    &
    TWINE
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    FYEO vs TMWTGG: Difficult call on the first one. I prefer Moore in the earlier film and like the characteristic Hamilton colourful zaniness and eccentricity. It has more charisma. However, there is something about FYEO that keeps bringing me back to it for a rewatch. In fact, I was thinking of seeing it again in the next couple of weeks. It's an unusual film in the Roger oeuvre, and for that reason alone I find it appealing.

SP vs TWINE: Extraordinarily close. Both PoS's not worthy of much adulation or respect imho. I give it to SP on the basis of production values (TWINE couldn't even get that right). In terms of Bond performance, I'm actually beginning to think Brosnan did a better job of it, and that's saying something given my views on his acting in TWINE. Craig has a high hurdle to clear to achieve his 'high' imho. I hope he starts with the basics like getting back into shape.
    FYEO and most definitely SP!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Oh easy.

FYEO

SP
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    TMWTGG. Very close. FYEO is lovely of course, but for me it always exists better in the mind than on the screen. The contrast between the serious and the goofy parts always jars me. I particularly lose it when the parrot gives Rog the crucial bit of plot info. I realize it's up against TMWTGG, but I'll take the slide whistle, thank you. At least the whole film is completely ludicrous.

TWINE. Despite a few off moments from Brosnan, I do always have a good time with this one. Can't say the same for SP. I also prefer TWINE's finale by a mile. Both it and SP sort of aim at tension more than explosions, but where TWINE succeeds SP falls flat. TWINE also gets the (unfair?) boost for nostalgia.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Nostalgia is definitely a fair point @Strog ;)

I use it too.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Oh easy.

FYEO

SP

Yep.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,000
    FYEO over TMWTGG. This one is close.

TWINE over SP. This one isn’t.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    TMWTGG and SP
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    TMWTGG over FYEO.
    TWINE over SP.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    FYEO over TMWTGG

and

SP over TWINE
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    An easy round for me this time.

TMWTGG vs FYEO

TWINE vs SP

Looking at the voting so far, looks like this could be a fairly divided vote.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    TMWTGG v FYEO - Very comfortable. Nice tight spy story with some juicy chunks of Fleming and very solid action scenes easily beats a tired, lazy, lacklustre, going through the motions effort with moments of ill judged humour slotted in. Christopher Lee deserved better but he can't save it from ignominy.

TWINE v SP - Very close, exceedingly so, as Mr Kipling might have put it. Yes SP gets battered and with a lot of justification but it looks great, features mostly very decent acting and does have some excellent scenes. It's just a shame it jumps the shark so badly in the final act. TWINE possibly shades it for action (the two PTS action sequences shade the Hinx fight and the rest in both is mediocre) and plot which, credit to P&W is fairly sound but the melodrama and ham acting from pain face Pierce and Marceau towards the end drag it down. It also plods a bit under Apted's leaden direction. There's a fag paper between them but overall SP is a classier affair.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    FYEO gets an easy win over TMWTGG.

SP just barely sneaks past TWINE.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,262
    Round 22:

TMWTGG vs FYEO. While I concede that FYEO is more faithful to its Ian Fleming literary source, I simply enjoy watching TMWTGG more. Stronger lead villain, more age appropriate leading ladies for Moore's Bond, better sense of the "benign bizarre", more Bond movie traditional elements(John Barry score, Lee's M is still around, Bond eliminating the lead villain, Bond and the girl escaping from the exploding HQ at the end). FYEO tends to feel more like a big budget episode of The Saint to me. Sidenote: Julian Glover had played a villain on The Saint 13 years earlier. So I vote for TMWTGG.

and

TWINE vs SP. Brosnan's weakest Bond effort vs. Craig's most underrated one. I vote for SP.
    Has anyone who steadily participates here always been with the majority so far?
    I usually am, but every now and then a little different.
    FoxRox wrote: »

A majority is usually with the majority. But always is what I wondered?

FoxRox wrote: »

A majority is usually with the majority. But always is what I wondered?

Hmm... Can’t check back now. Doubtful though.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I am, for the most part, @Thunderfinger. I may have strayed off the majority only once or twice though.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Nostalgia is definitely a fair point @Strog ;)

I use it too.
    Yes, it's inescapable! Of all the eras Brosnan's is the toughest for me to see objectively (though I try). He was 'my' Bond at the time of becoming a fan. Throw in all the associations from the PS2 video games with his likeness (and featuring storylines fit for his films) I was consuming at the time, and you've got a recipe for remembering those days fondly.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    TMWTGG vs. FYEO
    FYEO has been a contender, on-again off-again, for being my favourite Moore Bond film, switching places with TSWLM several times. Lately those two may have been challenged by MOONRAKER, actually...but there is no way that TMWTGG is a competition for any of those three.

TWINE vs. SP
    I've only watched SP for a second time since seeing it at a theatre around opening day in Germany, and that's a bad sign. At this point in time, it would have been at least five viewings or so for the likes of the brilliant SF. I also quietly downgraded SP in my rating from 8/10 to 7/10 - midfield at best.

But since TWINE is close to the "POS" level at 5/10 for me and only very slightly better than the dismal DAD, it's still a clear win for SP.