Directors who rejected Bond (and those who were rejected - Steven, that's you!)

2»

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Nicolas Winding Refn might have been an interesting choice, though I believe him to be much more of a "stylish" rather than a "narrative" director if that makes sense. I'm particularly fond of BRONSON, DRIVE, ONLY GOD FORGIVES and above all, THE NEON DEMON, but none of these films fuels me with confidence in the storytelling department, at least not for a Bond film. Visually, however, they are stunning! If NWR were to do a Bond film, my fear is that it'd be a style-over-substance film, which is what many say SPECTRE turned out to be. Ironically, NWR was offered that film. Either way, my love for his films might also explain my love for SPECTRE. IF it looks amazing, I'm already sold for 80 %. But the larger fan community would freak out over a Bond film modelled after VALHALLA RISING or THE NEON DEMON.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,333
    Terence Young then followed by Peter Hunt both turned down FYEO.
    Would have been interesting to see either director return to the helm. I wonder why they turned it down?

I guess we have to add Boyle to this list now?
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I knew I'd read this somewhere, so did some digging but yes David Fincher did take a meeting regards directing Goldeneye.

It's in this Indie Wire article, scroll down to Y where is mentions him possibly directing Mission Impossible 3 and that there was a similar situation with Pierce's debut that never panned out.

As the article said, good job as what he did instead was Se7en, the rest is history as they say.

https://www.indiewire.com/2014/09/from-a-z-a-guide-to-the-lost-unmade-films-of-david-fincher-271772/

Interestingly enough I'm currently working on my version of SPECTRE which is in its first draft and for a bit of fun I've recast one of the actors and suggested that David Fincher directs my version.

Peter's already seen some of it and has offered some proper encouragement, it started out as a bit of a polish but as it's gone on I've started to divert away from the finished film quite significantly in some aspects. I'm still tying things together like in the film but far more convincingly and using all 3 films to do it and giving Quantum of Solace it's due.

I'd like to share it with you all when it's finished.

Hopefully that's something that some of you might be interested in seeing. It's quite a way off yet and I have no experience script writing.

It came from wanting to come to terms with my frustration of seeing my favourite era of Bond being taken off the tracks quite significantly.

I know this isn't shared by all, although I know some are of the same feeling as me.

I'm not big on the idea of tying everything together but it already sounds way better than the actual film.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Would have been interesting to see either director return to the helm. I wonder why they turned it down?

I guess we have to add Boyle to this list now?
    Sadly, Terence Young was finished with Bond after TB and couldn't be tempted back. I'm not entirely sure whether it was a case of Young siding with Connery over his treatment and the way the producers wouldn't make Connery more of a business partner. Peter Hunt, on the other hand, had other movie commitments. More than likely it was Death Hunt with Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, and Angie Dickinson that prevented his involvement with FYEO.
    Michael Winner claimed he was offered a Bond but turned it down and later felt sorry for doing so. I think it was DAF he was offered.
  • Vinther1991Vinther1991 Denmark
    I believe Hitchcock was asked to direct DN.

I remember it being Thunderball, when that was planned as the first Bond film.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Moonraker.

• edited May 2019 Posts: 11,425
    bondsum wrote: »
    Moonraker.

Yes but FYEO was obviously attempt to bring things back down to earth, as it were. So either director would have worked well.

Having said this I regard the Glen era as something of a golden age so I'm not really complaining.
    Did someone add Joe Dante to this list the other day?