SKYFALL. -HOW DO YOU SEE IT NOW?

Comments

• edited March 2018 Posts: 616
    MENDES: "Okay, Daniel, because we don't trust the audience to understand that Bond will grieve after a series of stupid decisions that got his boss killed, and because our writers are incapable of creating a scene that conveys his sense of loss while also advancing the story, we're going to film you standing here and staring off into the distance. If nothing else, it will look great on a magazine cover. Now look straight ahead and squint."

CRAIG: "Let's get this over with. I've been up here all day, and I need to take a piss."
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I believe Mendes & EON were deeply taken with Nolan's work on TDK & the superhero genre in general, which was all the rage back then. Such films are rife with these sort of brooding poses. They have been similarly attempting to emphasize Bond's heroics of late, capitalizing on the success of the genre.
    Maybe in the next one he will finally reveal himself as Captain Real Tightpants.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2018 Posts: 4,554
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    MENDES: "Okay, Daniel, because we don't trust the audience to understand that Bond will grieve after a series of stupid decisions that got his boss killed, and because our writers are incapable of creating a scene that conveys his sense of loss while also advancing the story, we're going to film you standing here and staring off into the distance. If nothing else, it will look great on a magazine cover. Now look straight ahead and squint."

CRAIG: "Let's get this over with. I've been up here all day, and I need to take a piss."

I smell something, @Escalus5 ...

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

Oh. It's the sweet smell of success. ;)
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    TripAces wrote: »

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

If we could leave the general masses to decide what was “art” we would consider Dr. Dre above Beethoven

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

If we could leave the general masses to decide what was “art” we would consider Dr. Dre above Beethoven

I wouldn’t consider the film critics the masses. SF satisfied everyone, except those who walked into the theater already wanting to despise it. “A fault finder will find fault in paradise.” - Thoreau
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

I wouldn’t consider the film critics the masses. SF satisfied everyone, except those who walked into the theater already wanting to despise it. “A fault finder will find fault in paradise.” - Thoreau

Or those of us that simply didn't like it. That was the most excited I have ever been for a Bond film. Walked in expecting another incredible outing and was seriously disappointed in the end result. I wanted to love it so much that I saw it five times in theaters in a week or two period, but it wasn't for me.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Or those of us that simply didn't like it. That was the most excited I have ever been for a Bond film. Walked in expecting another incredible outing and was seriously disappointed in the end result. I wanted to love it so much that I saw it five times in theaters in a week or two period, but it wasn't for me.

That was me with SP (only I think that I saw it eight times in the theatre).

I only got to see that one twice. Was hoping for a few more viewings, but it started to set in after that second viewing that it was likely the same scenario as SF, and I needn't waste any more time or money rushing to see what was likely another dud for me when it'd be available on blu-ray in a few months time.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

Okay well that’s nonsense because I liked it both times I saw it in the theatre. It’s only afterwards that the films flaws set in and really affected its viewing ability. It seems to be a film designed for a one time fun viewing and nothing else.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Well ... the rooftop scene let me feel patrotic and I am not even british :-D I think it was really cool - only surpassed by the even more brilliant final scene in CR. I know SF will continue to divide the Bond fans but to me I still understand why it was praised back then and still today.

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

That was the same for me! Went into my first viewing really stoked that I as going to see a great classic Bond movie! When end credits rolled I was very glum(as were the audience who were with me... very subdued leaving!)
    I thought "No I must be missing something'
    Saw it 3 more times I believe in cinema.. it didn't get any better.
    My feeling now is that I admire it and I really want to like it but it will never be an instant choice for me when I want my Bond fix.
    Still love Craig as Bond and happy he is doing Bond 25 but I don't want a repeat of SF in any way. But I have a feeling we will with Boyle at the helm.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

That was the same for me! Went into my first viewing really stoked that I as going to see a great classic Bond movie! When end credits rolled I was very glum(as were the audience who were with me... very subdued leaving!)
    My feeling now is that I admire it and I really want to like it but it will never be an instant choice for me when I want my Bond fix.
    Still love Craig as Bond and happy he is doing Bond 25 but I don't want a repeat of SF in any way. But I have a feeling we will with Boyle at the helm.

This goes for both my cinema experiences with SF/SP. No one I've talked to seemed to like SF/SP, and many commented on how boring both were, compared to the recent M:I films.

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

Not that the two films are exactly similar, but OHMSS likely had the same effect on audiences. Let's face it. neither film is uplifting at the end, though SF has some denouement.

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

This is quite surprising. You live in the UK, correct? SF became (in short order) the highest grossing film of all time there upon release. I would have expected some cheering during the DB5 reveal and after the "With pleasure M. With please" at the very least. Wasn't there even a cheer for Kincaide from your fellow cinema viewers?
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,280
    Do people cheer during films at the cinema in the UK? Never experienced that here.
    Do people cheer during films at the cinema in the UK? Never experienced that here.
    True, and I didn't use the correct term. I more meant 'collective laugh' or 'acknowledgement' of a positive spirited moment. I certainly have experienced that over there growing up depending on the circumstances, and thought there were several moments in SF which may have elicited a positive response.
    bondjames wrote: »
    True, and I didn't use the correct term. I more meant 'collective laugh' or 'acknowledgement' of a positive spirited moment. I certainly have experienced that over there growing up depending on the circumstances, and thought there were several moments in SF which may have elicited a positive response.

Have experienced laughter when watching comedies at the cinema, but that's about it. People are generally quiet at the cinema here - if you don't count the unnecessary snack eating. There are 20+ hours of the day you can eat (as loudly as you want), yet they choose to do so at a place where you want people to be silent.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883

Have experienced laughter when watching comedies at the cinema, but that's about it. People are generally quiet at the cinema here - if you don't count the unnecessary snack eating. There are 20+ hours of the day you can eat (as loudly as you want), yet they choose to do so at a place where you want people to be silent.
    Interesting to read that. I suppose it's a relatively conservative & polite culture? Increasingly I see people fiddling with their phones these days and it's quite annoying. One chap a few seats down from me was actually 'day trading' (not sure if he was crapping his pants due to the decline in the value of 'Bitcoin') a couple of weeks ago.

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

This is quite surprising. You live in the UK, correct? SF became (in short order) the highest grossing film of all time there upon release. I would have expected some cheering during the DB5 reveal and after the "With pleasure M. With please" at the very least. Wasn't there even a cheer for Kincaide from your fellow cinema viewers?
    I live in Ireland! And both CR and QoS had great receptions on viewings I was at, particularly the former, but, yes
    most people I know or people who were at screening of SF were quite subdued about it!
    (Regarding Kincaid, the biggest laugh was for "welcome to Scotland!"! Other than that I don't recall much enthusiasm from anyone!)

Interesting to read that. I suppose it's a relatively conservative & polite culture? Increasingly I see people fiddling with their phones these days and it's quite annoying. One chap a few seats down from me was actually 'day trading' (not sure if he was crapping his pants due to the decline in the value of 'Bitcoin') a couple of weeks ago.

Forgot about the fiddling of phones; that is present at any culture these days. In general Norwegians are a bit quiet, except when drunk, of course. No one is louder than drunk ones - and that's not in a fun way.

There was also this one incident when I watched Inglourious Basterds at the cinema, where a group of people left after about 45 mins in. Could hear them talking to themselves as they left, saying something like: «Shit movie. I didn't pay to watch them just talk to each other.»
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

I live in Ireland! And both CR and QoS had great receptions on viewings I was at, particularly the former, but, yes
    most people I know or people who were at screening of SF were quite subdued about it!
    (Regarding Kincaid, the biggest laugh was for "welcome to Scotland!"! Other than that I don't recall much enthusiasm from anyone!)
    It did reasonably well in Ireland, although was apparently not as successful relatively speaking as it was in the rest of the British Isles. Perhaps the overt patriotism didn't go down or connect as well.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/skyfall-uk-biggest-film-daniel-craig-007-uk-box-office-702474-Dec2012/

Forgot about the fiddling of phones; that is present at any culture these days. In general Norwegians are a bit quiet, except when drunk, of course. No one is louder than drunk ones - and that's not in a fun way.

There was also this one incident when I watched Inglourious Basterds at the cinema, where a group of people left after about 45 mins in. Could hear them talking to themselves as they left, saying something like: «Shit movie. I didn't pay to watch them just talk to each other.»
    Shocking! I was so engrossed during moments in that film that I couldn't imagine walking out!

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

+1. Very similar to my thoughts. I also left thinking something was missing and can't figure why so many non-fans/critics find it classic and satisfying whereas CR fit that so much better.

And say what you want about Bonds not being action movies, there isn't anything in this film that stands out in that department, much like its predecessor it resembles in many ways - TWINE.

I don't even bother watching all of SF on Blu these days, just certain sequences such as Silva's entrance and speech.

Shocking! I was so engrossed during moments in that film that I couldn't imagine walking out!

They went just as the movie really took off, which I found quite funny. Obvious they expected it to be a generic action popcorn flick!

They went just as the movie really took off, which I found quite funny. Obvious they expected it to be a generic action popcorn flick!
    Fools I tell you! Having said that, I can understand to a degree. A lot of the earlier part of that film is subtitled so may not appeal to everyone. I just love the dialogue though (especially the Melanie Laurent and Daniel Bruhl interactions). Tarantino at his best. I must watch it again soon!
    BT3366 wrote: »

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

+1. Very similar to my thoughts. I also left thinking something was missing and can't figure why so many non-fans/critics find it classic and satisfying whereas CR fit that so much better.

And say what you want about Bonds not being action movies, there isn't anything in this film that stands out in that department, much like its predecessor it resembles in many ways - TWINE.

I don't even bother watching all of SF on Blu these days, just certain sequences such as Silva's entrance and speech.

That's my favourite part too! And when Bond turns the tables on his captors after Severines death, it was the only time I got excited, apart from the pts. Other than that I just find it dull. And No, it was nothing to do with patriotism, that never bothers me, I like Bonds Britishness. It's just nowhere near the masterpiece it's made out to be!
    Oh, and maybe I should put this in the controversial section but I don't get the love for Roger Deakin either. There are sections that are impressive in SF, but mostly I find his work ordinary (particularly interior parts!)

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

That's my favourite part too! And when Bond turns the tables on his captors after Severines death, it was the only time I got excited, apart from the pts. Other than that I just find it dull. And No, it was nothing to do with patriotism, that never bothers me, I like Bonds Britishness. It's just nowhere near the masterpiece it's made out to be!
    Oh, and maybe I should put this in the controversial section but I don't get the love for Roger Deakin either. There are sections that are impressive in SF, but mostly I find his work ordinary (particularly interior parts!)

The best Bond films are generally not full of action. They're full of intrigue. I would argue that DN, FRWL, GF, and TB contain little action until the very end. And the action sequences that do exist are usually brief. I liken the pace and tone of SF to that of TB. Neither film is heavy on action, meaning neither is reliant on it, either.

If there are any flaws in CR, it's in the laborious, drawn-out action sequences in the first half: construction site-embassy, Miami airport. The better parts of that film take place during poker, where the tension is psychological. SF tapped more into the psychological and other than the PTS and end at Skyfall, let the action take a back seat. After QoS, it was a breath of fresh air.

92% Fresh Score
    $1.1B at the BO.

The best Bond films are generally not full of action. They're full of intrigue. I would argue that DN, FRWL, GF, and TB contain little action until the very end. And the action sequences that do exist are usually brief. I liken the pace and tone of SF to that of TB. Neither film is heavy on action, meaning neither is reliant on it, either.

If there are any flaws in CR, it's in the laborious, drawn-out action sequences in the first half: construction site-embassy, Miami airport. The better parts of that film take place during poker, where the tension is psychological. SF tapped more into the psychological and other than the PTS and end at Skyfall, let the action take a back seat. After QoS, it was a breath of fresh air.

It's not the lack of action that I have a problem with! LTK is one of my favourite Bonds and it has only 3 major action set pieces incl pts. But it's storyline is gripping following Bonds dogged determination to destroy Sanchez organisation.I don't feel SF grips enough and it doesn't have any major set pieces to fall back on!
    I agree on CR. Love the quieter scenes, with Vesper, the poker scenes etc.
    And some of my favourite sections in QOS are not the action but the dramatic moments , Whites interrogation , Bonds scenes with Mathis and with Camille finale with Yusef!
    SF just doesn't give me any real sections like that that l look forward to when watching it!

Fools I tell you! Having said that, I can understand to a degree. A lot of the earlier part of that film is subtitled so may not appeal to everyone. I just love the dialogue though (especially the Melanie Laurent and Daniel Bruhl interactions). Tarantino at his best. I must watch it again soon!

Very much at his best! A top three of his, if you ask me!
    You can understand some audiences not liking the more lengthy dialogue parts, but even the regular movie goers should at this point be aware of this with Tarantino's films. The dialogue is always referred to in reviews, too.
    In the US, things have changed. There is much more talking, munching and overall distraction in theatres today than when I was growing up. However, in the '70s audiences seemed far more invested and engaged (particularly in Bond films!), with audible gasps, group laughter and, at the big moments (TSWLM flag, anything crazy involving Jaws or Nick Nack), spontaneous applause. That vibe that we are all on a mutual journey seems to have gotten lost.

That's a shame, really. The overall lack of consideration to other movie goers who actually want to see the film undisturbed, is one of the reasons I rarely see films at the cinema. What I miss from watching the film on a much smaller screen at home, I gain in the knowledge that I can watch the film in peace, not having to worry about disturbing noises, talking, etc.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    In the US, things have changed. There is much more talking, munching and overall distraction in theatres today than when I was growing up. However, in the '70s audiences seemed far more invested and engaged (particularly in Bond films!), with audible gasps, group laughter and, at the big moments (TSWLM flag, anything crazy involving Jaws or Nick Nack), spontaneous applause. That vibe that we are all on a mutual journey seems to have gotten lost.
    Yeah, people at theaters looking at their phones all the time. Why pay for the movie if you're going to look at your phone?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Yeah, people at theaters looking at their phones all the time. Why pay for the movie if you're going to look at your phone?

It's the one highlight of the local Alamo Drafthouse theater for me: they have ZERO tolerance for talking and cell phone usage. If you see someone doing either, you throw up a card with your complaint, they keep an eye out, issue a warning, and if it happens again, they're thrown out, no refund.