Colorcorrecting Skyfall and SPECTRE:

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    I think this is all rather disrespectful to the cinematographers working on this. It's like putting up a huge middle-finger to Robert Schaeffer, Roger Deakins and/or Hoyte van Hoytema. Like shitting right in their faces.

To me you get respect if you make it to become a real cinematographer and actually managing to improve on your predecessors while shooting a Bond film. But this? It's all too 'fan-wanky' for me.

There's nothing wrong with trying things differently. it's not like it's an officially released version that replaces the official one.

This. It's a fan creation, like anyone else. Personally, I appreciate seeing SP color-corrected. Much nicer on the eyes.

I have my issues with SF, but personally, I thought the cinematography was one of its strongest highlights. One of those movies where I feel like I could pause at any point, and the image on screen would make for a cracking desktop wallpaper or a poster.

Exactly. Zekidk doing an edit on the color correction is no different from me doing rescores. I just have some fun taking a scene and putting to music to it. I'm not saying THIS IS HOW IT MUST BE DONE! It's just a look into what if territory.

I wasn't a fan of the Skyfall recoloration but I did enjoy the Spectre recoloration. I don't see what's wrong with fan experimentation.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,168
    I just don't like it very much if we re-do work that men like Hoyte van Hoytema invested so much time in. That's my honest opinion. I respect your work, but I don't like it. My apoligies once again.

Regarding fan creations? I love writing for instance. Or making desktop backgrounds. But when I write I am not going to write my version of SP or I'm going to make my own main titles for a previous film. It's not very much my style. I hope you understand.

I have never criticized Deakins, Hoytema and Mendes' for their creative choices when it comes to grading. I understand why they did what they did. It's just not for me. I like the sky to be blue and not lightbrown. I like a natural palette and the skin tones to look like skin tones and not a peeled orange.

There are many, many movies that have intense colorgrading. Fine. Usually I only watch movies once. But with Bond movies it's different. That's why I spent a week last year colorcorrecting both SF and SF. Did I post examples immediately after on this forum? No, I didn't. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind, until it came a topic of discussion here.

And no.... I don't "understand". Because what you are really saying is this:

Everytime someone changes either the color temperature, contrast, brightness and so forth on their TV to get the picture they prefer, they are "re-doing" the work that the director and cinematographer have invested so much time in.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    I think this is all rather disrespectful to the cinematographers working on this. It's like putting up a huge middle-finger to Robert Schaeffer, Roger Deakins and/or Hoyte van Hoytema. Like shitting right in their faces.

To me you get respect if you make it to become a real cinematographer and actually managing to improve on your predecessors while shooting a Bond film. But this? It's all too 'fan-wanky' for me.

There's nothing wrong with trying things differently. it's not like it's an officially released version that replaces the official one.

This. It's a fan creation, like anyone else. Personally, I appreciate seeing SP color-corrected. Much nicer on the eyes.

I have my issues with SF, but personally, I thought the cinematography was one of its strongest highlights. One of those movies where I feel like I could pause at any point, and the image on screen would make for a cracking desktop wallpaper or a poster.

Yes! +1

Agreed. Mendes + Deakins is the real deal because you know Deakins is bringing the best DOP game in the business and Mendes knew it.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    I just don't like it very much if we re-do work that men like Hoyte van Hoytema invested so much time in. That's my honest opinion. I respect your work, but I don't like it. My apoligies once again.

Regarding fan creations? I love writing for instance. Or making desktop backgrounds. But when I write I am not going to write my version of SP or I'm going to make my own main titles for a previous film. It's not very much my style. I hope you understand.

I have never criticized Deakins, Hoytema and Mendes' for their creative choices when it comes to grading. I understand why they did what they did. It's just not for me. I like the sky to be blue and not lightbrown. I like a natural palette and the skin tones to look like skin tones and not a peeled orange.

There are many, many movies that have intense colorgrading. Fine. Usually I only watch movies once. But with Bond movies it's different. That's why I spent a week last year colorcorrecting both SF and SF. Did I post examples immediately after on this forum? No, I didn't. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind, until it came a topic of discussion here.

And no.... I don't "understand". Because what you are really saying is this:

Everytime someone changes either the color temperature, contrast, brightness and so forth on their TV to get the picture they prefer, they are "re-doing" the work that the director and cinematographer have invested so much time in.

@Zekidk? I apologize okay? No need to be so grumpy. It's just not my style. I admire the hard work you put in it. And I should have been a bit more sensitive to that aspect. But even then the end result is not always liked. Just like you don't like the original color grading from SP and SF.

I'm not here to insult people. Again, no hard feelings.
    @Gustav_Graves

I'm not offended at all because you don't like my result. That is perfectly ok. I am provoked however because you are accusing me of disrespecting the filmmakers.
    @Gustav_Graves

I'm not offended at all because you don't like my result. That is perfectly ok. I am provoked however because you are accusing me of disrespecting the filmmakers.

Well, in a way one could make that case no? How would you feel if someone is using a Bond fan poster creation from someone else and is adjusting the colors of it to his/her liking? The difference here only is the fact that Mr Van Hoytema earns millions and would probably not be offended at all. But that doesn't mean that I do find it a bit disrespectful to someone's very hard work to execute the finest cinematography possible.

Again, I am entitled to that opinion, no matter how many people dislike it. So yes, I don't apoligized for that opinion. I apoligize only for my initial harsh assessment of it all, since I honestly felt a bit bad how my remark was perceived. You should not feel.....too provoked about that. *handshake*

But that doesn't mean that I do find it a bit disrespectful to someone's very hard work

Everytime someone changes the colortemperature, brightness, contrast and so forth on his TV or projector, to get the look they prefer, it's "disrespectful."

I get it.
    But that doesn't mean that I do find it a bit disrespectful to someone's very hard work

Everytime someone changes the colortemperature, brightness, contrast and so forth on his TV or projector, to get the look they prefer, it's "disrespectful."

I get it.

I think it's better to leave it there ok @Zekidk?
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited August 2017 Posts: 308

I get it.

Because you have no solid argument.

Sorry to interfere, but where does it end? No more fan posters: because images are adjusted from the original, and therefore disrespectful to the photographer. No more fan re-scores of scenes; it is disrespectful to the film composer. No more fan variants of the gun barrel, because... etc..

He is only showing what his preference is when it comes to the colour grading. Hardly disrespectful in my opinion.
    Jeffrey wrote: »

I get it.

Because you have no solid argument.

Sorry to interfere, but where does it end? No more fan posters: because images are adjusted from the original, and therefore disrespectful to the photographer. No more fan re-scores of scenes; it is disrespectful to the film composer. No more fan variants of the gun barrel, because... etc..

He is only showing what his preference is when it comes to the colour grading. Hardly disrespectful in my opinion.

You are right.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I appreciate the time and effort put into these, though I can't say I ever cared for these colour corrections. Like @RC7 said, it totally sucks the vibrancy out of the film and leaves it dull and lifeless. I much prefer the original cut for both films.
    @jake24

I respect that. I just don't agree that the examples shown on the right, look "dull and lifeless" compared to the originals on the left. Guess the beauty is in the eye of the beholder:

vGlIevq.jpg
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Someone mentioned that they didn't like QoS's grading. I thought it was fine. What do you think?
    It´s over the top, the way it should be in a Bond film. I´ve always felt good the next morning after watching any Bond film up to and including QoS because of the lighting and colors, they do something good to my unconscious.

To me you get a bit more respect if you make it to become a real cinematographer and actually managing to improve on your predecessors while shooting a Bond film. But this? It's all too 'fan-wanky' for me.

Also, fandom like this is destroying the respect for the final product. I mean, do we do this kind of stuff for classic Bond films? For example if we disagree with Ted Moore? No. Because the status they received permits us from doing that. But by doing this with recent Bond films, we're actually helping destroying a certain future status of newer Bond films. I dislike it.

I don't think I use disrespectful words @Zekidk. And if you feel offended, it wasn't my intention. But sadly, this is how I think about it.
    Well, @Gustav, don´t be sad, it won´t change that some of us are offended by the colorgrading in the last two Bond films. I have no idea what´s going on in your mind, a lot of people critisised former Bond cinematographers, just not for colorgrading, and if I got irritated by it watching SP I damn well blame either the cinematographer or the director, because it´s hard to imagine it was someone else´s decision. To say that this is all rather disrespectful to the cinematographers carries a slightly fascist vibe, to be perfectly honest with you. The cinematography, especially in SP, shits right in my face, and I´m not going to eat it. It´s my duty as a lover of films to say so if it is so. The director or cinematographer having the best intentions in the world doesn´t amount ot much if the result doesn´t make me feel good.
  • RC7RC7
    Guess the beauty is in the eye of the beholder:

Certainly.

For me it's similar to painting. I can appreciate abstract work or hyperrealism equally, it depends on how well it's executed. I don't think there is one way to shoot and present a moving image. It's about creating tone and atmosphere through colour and texture. I love the sweep and scale of films like TB, but I'm equally drawn to the high contrast and saturated, Blaxploitation feel of LALD. SF for me is just another example of a DOP working to deliver something tonally interesting.

As I've said in previous posts, to me there's not enough range in SP and it could do with some lifting here and there, but with SF I think they pretty much nailed it. There's a hazy atmosphere to that opening sequence that is immediately sullied in your colour corrected version.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Someone mentioned that they didn't like QoS's grading. I thought it was fine. What do you think?
    It´s over the top, the way it should be in a Bond film. I´ve always felt good the next morning after watching any Bond film up to and including QoS because of the lighting and colors, they do something good to my unconscious.

To me you get a bit more respect if you make it to become a real cinematographer and actually managing to improve on your predecessors while shooting a Bond film. But this? It's all too 'fan-wanky' for me.

Also, fandom like this is destroying the respect for the final product. I mean, do we do this kind of stuff for classic Bond films? For example if we disagree with Ted Moore? No. Because the status they received permits us from doing that. But by doing this with recent Bond films, we're actually helping destroying a certain future status of newer Bond films. I dislike it.

I don't think I use disrespectful words @Zekidk. And if you feel offended, it wasn't my intention. But sadly, this is how I think about it.
    Well, @Gustav, don´t be sad, it won´t change that some of us are offended by the colorgrading in the last two Bond films. I have no idea what´s going on in your mind, a lot of people critisised former Bond cinematographers, just not for colorgrading, and if I got irritated by it watching SP I damn well blame either the cinematographer or the director, because it´s hard to imagine it was someone else´s decision. To say that this is all rather disrespectful to the cinematographers carries a slightly fascist vibe, to be perfectly honest with you. The cinematography, especially in SP, shits right in my face, and I´m not going to eat it. It´s my duty as a lover of films to say so if it is so. The director or cinematographer having the best intentions in the world doesn´t amount ot much if the result doesn´t make me feel good.

If you were or knew as many cinematographers as I do, then the original point would be moot anyway. All of them are told about how a film is going to look in pre-production and shoot accordingly. Very few have a hand in the grading process, except for a notepad of notes and/or suggestions on occasion. The grade is down to the director, not the DOP.

It's about as disrespectful to the Cinematographer as it is to the Gaffer.

In this instance, I really love how SKYFALL looks and feels, despite an overly BBC-drama like look in the London scenes. The stuff in Scotland especially, is f*cking spectacular.

SPECTRE, on the other hand, is ten times better in @Zekidk's version - especially in the Morrocco sequences. The original grade makes me feel like I'm watching the film through yellow tinted glasses that have had someone's fingers rubbing all over the lens.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Wait. Grading is down to the director? https://m.imgur.com/gallery/nhEI8ov

I always thought it was the DOP! Curse you Mendes!
    @CraigMooreOHMSS is right. The director has final cut, although the cinematographer can be invited in for input. Even the editor can have a saying, if he or she notices scenes deviating from the look intended, maybe due til lighting.

So yes... if anyone is to blame (or credit, depending how you look at it) for the look of SF and SP, it's Sam Mendes. I must say that - for me - especially SP is an enteriely different experience after my colorcorrecting. SP has Mexico, Rome, Austria, Morocco - colorful places that I think should look exotic and full of colors, not because of grading, but because it looks like that in the real world. The sky should look blue, not lightbrown. Snow should look white, not lightgreen, and the color of people's skin should look like the color of people's skin, and not someone suffering with jaundice.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I rather like the blues and greys of SF. For me, most of SP is fine. It's the warmer climates that suffer. Mexico City and Morocco. Rome and Austria are very nice, as is London!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6,786
    @CraigMooreOHMSS is right. The director has final cut, although the cinematographer can be invited in for input. Even the editor can have a saying, if he or she notices scenes deviating from the look intended, maybe due til lighting.

So yes... if anyone is to blame (or credit, depending how you look at it) for the look of SF and SP, it's Sam Mendes. I must say that - for me - especially SP is an enteriely different experience after my colorcorrecting. SP has Mexico, Rome, Austria, Morocco - colorful places that I think should look exotic and full of colors, not because of grading, but because it looks like that in the real world. The sky should look blue, not lightbrown. Snow should look white, not lightgreen, and the color of people's skin should look like the color of people's skin, and not someone suffering with jaundice.

You're right. I was so thrilled about 'my' city Rome being in a Bond movie and they butchered the whole atmosphere that is so typical for the Eternal City.

Another good example of your colourcorrecting are the beach scenes in SF. Put your version next to the original one and I much prefer yours.
    @GoldenGun
    Like I wrote earlier, I left the Rome scenes unaltered. Besides the lighting which is spot on in the interior scenes (the SPECTRE-meeting: amazing lighting techniques), I actually like the orange grading. It fits the setting perfectly, IMO.

Correct.

A DOP will leave notes for the Director to take to the edit suite. From there, the Director will sit through the footage with the Editor and work out the best angles, takes and take note of the way the lighting etc. is executed. Both the Editor and Director will then take further notes to the Colorist, who completes the process on the finished cut of the film.

It's a team effort. On lower-budget films, the Editor will often also do the coloring with the Director present.
    @jake24

I respect that. I just don't agree that the examples shown on the right, look "dull and lifeless" compared to the originals on the left. Guess the beauty is in the eye of the beholder:

vGlIevq.jpg

Exactly, it's all a matter of taste.

Moreover, I do think these are mere details. People just like or dislike the movie. Some of my friends disliked SP after their first viewing. But none of them mentioned the color grading. Those are aspects we're gonna criticize when we fully dissect movies on forums like in here.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Moreover, I do think these are mere details. People just like or dislike the movie. Some of my friends disliked SP after their first viewing. But none of them mentioned the color grading. Those are aspects we're gonna criticize when we fully dissect movies on forums like in here.
    That is not correct. I got irritated on first viewing of SP already during the PTS, mostly because of colors and light, beside having a different opinion on how sharp backgrounds should be.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    That is not correct. I got irritated on first viewing of SP already during the PTS, mostly because of colors and light, beside having a different opinion on how sharp backgrounds should be.

Wrong name attached to the right quote there, @boldfinger

I agree with you though.
    Forgive me, @CraigMooreOHMSS, I must have gotten carried away a bit.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Awesome work - thanks! Personally I like SF better the way it is - but SP looks MUCH better in your version! I would have preferred it to look like or close to this.
    @jake24

vGlIevq.jpg

Oh my, the pics on the right look terrible - completely messed up the d65 grayscale.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,575
    Dennison wrote: »
    @jake24

vGlIevq.jpg

Oh my, the pics on the right look terrible - completely messed up the d65 grayscale.

The ones on the right are MAGNIFICENT.....They should bring out a bluray SE. :)
    001 wrote: »
    Dennison wrote: »
    @jake24

vGlIevq.jpg

The ones on the right are MAGNIFICENT.....They should bring out bluray SE. :)

Really?!