EON's 'The Rhythm Section' (2020)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I thought I had mentioned the book several pages ago in this thread. I've read the first one and look forward to the others. The books seem popular, so there is a section of the public who are aware it is an established female character with a series of books.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Despite its #1 position at the box office, Birds of Prey has performed below expectations...so much so that the film has been retitled. Not sure what is up with female warrior-protagonists.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Despite its #1 position at the box office, Birds of Prey has performed below expectations...so much so that the film has been retitled. Not sure what is up with female warrior-protagonists.
    How does a film get retitld after its release? Do they switch all the pr material?

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    boldfinger wrote: »
    How does a film get retitld after its release? Do they switch all the pr material?

It's changing from “Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)” to “Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey” at major cinema chains.

One of the problems was the title was so long the Harley Quinn bit was getting chopped off on ticketing websites and apps, so people couldn't find the film unless they knew the full title.

You'd think someone would have identified this as a potential problem earlier in the piece.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 17,280
    Red_Snow wrote: »

It's changing from “Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)” to “Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey” at major cinema chains.

One of the problems was the title was so long the Harley Quinn bit was getting chopped off on ticketing websites and apps, so people couldn't find the film unless they knew the full title.

You'd think someone would have identified this as a potential problem earlier in the piece.

Indeed, it's surprising that a long title like that was even considered – or at least with the main selling point (Harley Quinn) at the very end of the title.

It might be more about my lack of interest for these types of films, but I hadn't heard about Birds of Prey at all until a few days ago – and it was only thanks to this thread I learned that it was a Harley Quinn film…

Indeed, it's surprising that a long title like that was even considered – or at least with the main selling point (Harley Quinn) at the very end of the title.

It might be more about my lack of interest for these types of films, but I hadn't heard about Birds of Prey at all until a few days ago – and it was only thanks to this thread I learned that it was a Harley Quinn film…

Eventhough Harley Quinn was only a small part in 'Suicide Squad' she was one of the few highlights, in what was truely a terrible film.

I think her characters association with that film has turned a lot of people off, despite reviews distancing the two films from one another entirely.

Having only watched the trailers (I am seeing the film today), my one question would be, who is the audience for this film? I can't really place it.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,661
    Apparently The Rhythm Section has made more money than Avatar and Avengers Endgame. I think that's right.

Er... hold on a sec... let me just check on that.

Oh... it's had the worst opening ever. I was almost right. :P

Eventhough Harley Quinn was only a small part in 'Suicide Squad' she was one of the few highlights, in what was truely a terrible film.

I think her characters association with that film has turned a lot of people off, despite reviews distancing the two films from one another entirely.

Having only watched the trailers (I am seeing the film today), my one question would be, who is the audience for this film? I can't really place it.

I have no knowledge about Suicide Squad, but I guess if that film was terrible, that might be a contributing factor to the numbers for Birds of Prey. Watching the trailer right now, I'm a bit confused what this film is trying to be.

I admit that, while I wasn't keen on the film in the first place, the long version of the title was a huge coffin nail for me. I found it absolutely idiotic.

Birds of Prey's shortened title is for search engines, PR, etc. but not a change to the official title.
    Having just seen the film, I'm even more confused by the title. I mean, I do like a long title and I like this one, but it's sort of backwards in terms of what the film is about.

Unless I completely misread the film, the Birds of Prey don't become a thing till the very end of the film, Harley Quinn is there from the very beginning, yet the title doesn't reflect this.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 5,767
    Having just seen the film, I'm even more confused by the title. I mean, I do like a long title and I like this one, but it's sort of backwards in terms of what the film is about.

Unless I completely misread the film, the Birds of Prey don't become a thing till the very end of the film, Harley Quinn is there from the very beginning, yet the title doesn't reflect this.
    Possibly unsuccessful self-deprecating coolness.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    The film played for 1 week at my theater before disappearing entirely. I, like many, were none too impressed with it. I just went because nothing looked good at the time.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I caught this film earlier today finally, which is probably a good time because I expect it'll be out of theaters by Friday. I thought it was alright, better that I expected. Blake Lively's very good in this. Too bad there won't be a sequel because I think there's room for improvement.

Observations:

Blake Lively at one point is asking the researcher his mysterious MI6 agent acting as an informant "Who is B? Who is B?", obviously I could only think of one name...

Movie opens with the EON logo after Paramount. Most curious. I suppose that won't actually appear ever for Bond. Even in the opening credits it's "An EON Production" as opposed to "Albert R. Broccoli's EON Production Presents".

Eh, that's about it, two Bond related bits.

I give this a B-. Unlike PEPPERMINT, I didn't sleep through this in theaters.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2020 Posts: 15,690
    According to Box Office Mojo, The Rhythm Section has ended its domestic run on Thursday, February 13th with a total of $5,397,507. Its 14-days total is lower than the 8th worst opening weekend of all time. The film has earned $439,819 in foreign territories, adding to a world-wide total of $5,837,326 (on a $50,000,000 budget). It opens in Spain on March 6th. No other country has a release date for it.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,661
    You beat me to it, DaltonCraig007! I was just going to post the international box office for this film but I saw your post. The worldwide box office total insanely bad! Blooming heck. Oh my. Gosh. Oh dear. Etc.

It's amusing to think Barbara Broccoli is a producer of a billion dollar film - Skyfall - she is part of the exclusive billion dollar gross club, very few film producers belong to that.... and the producer of a film with the worst wide release box office of all time. Crazy, huh! ;)) You couldn't make that up. It's just bizarre.

Re the title of the film and what it means - this was mentioned on the Mark Kermode Radio 5 review and he said the title didn't add anything to the film and might have made people confused about the plot and less likely to see it. I suppose a good title can help get people to see a film. I would say every single Bond film has had a good title in the sense it gets people curious about going to see the film. If you put aside the fact 'die' has been used many times before - No Time To Die - is a pretty great Bond title. In Bond context it's a bit cliche and feels 'done before' but in isolation it's a great title. James Bond in The Rhythm Section.... nah that ain't so good!
    edited February 2020 Posts: 12,459
    Ever since Goldfinger, EON could title the next Bond film:
    Sandwich Eating In the Office ... and it would not matter. Bond is that iconic and well known ever since.

The Rhythm Section makes sense only if you've read the book, and I think a different title would have been better. Other factors certainly kept it in the low numbers, not just the title. Which is very much a shame. I still have not seen it, but I have only read quite positive reviews of Blake's performance.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    They named a Bond film QUANTUM OF SOLACE and people still went to see it. So very true that a Bond title is practically meaningless in the realm of ticket sales.
    Even though I didn´t know what the title is supposed to mean for a long time, I never thought it´s a dumb title. Along with the info that it´s about spy stuff, the title was cool enough for me.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I was never bothered by the title itself but if they had done proper marketing for this we would have our first female spy series, that's my only problem with this.
    I can't help but wonder how the film would have done had they marketed it like it were a good film, instead of just abandoning it. Surely, it would have done better at the box office.

Far worse films have had all out marketing campaigns and have done quite well. Would it really have been that bad to give this a chance, especially given the current climate.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yes, this movie was pretty awful and generic, something you'll find in the bargain bin in a year or two. It doesn't do anything that countless other films haven't already executed on in a much better fashion and it's just so forgettable. If you watched any trailers, you've pretty much seen all of the action and excitement that the film has on display.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The film felt neither intense nor exhilarating to me.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,441
    If not canceld, Paramount/Universal wil release the movie DVD on 10 June 2020 in The Netherlands (and Belgium). No Cinema release and no Bluray. Barcode: 5053083210328

Based on what country we wil share, mabey those others country wil have BD with Dutch subs but we don't. If i whas them atleast i give dvd also a English DTS 5.1 track.
    Exclusive Rhythm Section Clip Gives Inside Look at Exciting Car Stunt
    https://comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/1131129-exclusive-the-rhythm-section-clip

I really hope we get this sort of BTS featurette on NTTD!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    The film can now be bought on the UK iTunes store for £11.99, or you can rent it from the end of the month onwards.
    Mallory wrote: »
    The film can now be bought on the UK iTunes store for £11.99, or you can rent it from the end of the month onwards.

It's available on Norwegian iTunes as well as Google Play too, just a little bit cheaper than the UK price. I'll likely give it a watch soon.
    The film will be released in Australian on Digital / DVD on 6 May, 2020.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    M_Balje wrote: »
    If not canceld, Paramount/Universal wil release the movie DVD on 10 June 2020 in The Netherlands (and Belgium). No Cinema release and no Bluray. Barcode: 5053083210328

Based on what country we wil share, mabey those others country wil have BD with Dutch subs but we don't. If i whas them atleast i give dvd also a English DTS 5.1 track.

Cover confirmd..

830x1200.jpg