BOND POLLS 2017: The Big "SPECTRE" vs "QUANTUM OF SOLACE" Battle!

Comments

Spectre without question. It's one of the best Bond films for me (top ten) while QoS is middle of the pack.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Too many great individual scenes and a top performance from Craig puts QoS head and shoulders above SP. An excellent PTS and the fight with Hinx is scant reward for a two and a half hour Bond film.
    I still prefer QoS PTS way ahead of SP.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Me too. It's a brutal, visceral car chase with razor sharp editing.

Jason Bourne-fans :-).

Au Contraire GG,i actually hate the Bourne films and don't own any of them ;)

• RC7RC7

You don't need to. You own QoS.
    RC7 wrote: »

And I LOVE IT !

He he .

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    +1. Not even close in my view. Same goes for the Spectre meet in the respective films.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,119
    RC7 wrote: »

And I LOVE IT !

He he .

MOD EDIT: images directly taken from QOS and SP removed.

I think this sums it up nicely....
    That's hardly a fair comparison. There was the fancy party held for Greene Planet which looked quite lavish & stylish. Additionally, there was some atmospheric photography, especially in Bregenz and in Panama (sitting in for Haiti). The film definitely gave off an old school Bondian vibe in those places.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    That's hardly a fair comparison.

Ooowh, I think it is, I think it is dear @BondJames :-). Generic movie watchers in the end judge a film by its looks and the feel of it. SP is instantly the more stylish, more Bond-ish entry. You name some nice examples for QOS, but they feel flat to me because of the overall look and feel of the film. Not to mention the editing and the bloated, fast pace.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Ooowh, I think it is, I think it is dear @BondJames :-). Generic movie watchers in the end judge a film by its looks and the feel of it. SP is instantly the more stylish, more Bond-ish entry. You name some nice examples for QOS, but they feel flat to me because of the overall look and feel of the film. Not to mention the editing and the bloated, fast pace.

So youre classing SP's use of Blofeld as a stick to beat QOS with here are you?

So youre classing SP's use of Blofeld as a stick to beat QOS with here are you?

So you're here :-).
    Also the scene at Mathis' villa is beautifully shot,and Craig looks great in the outfit he wears.

Fair enough. Initially it was a bit unsettling for me as well, but I've always felt that this is what Forster intended. I personally prefer it to the last effort because the film feels authentic (rather than CGI created) when it's on location. Moreover, I personally like the vibrant colour palette.

If I was to describe them at a high level in terms of their visual vibe, I would say that QoS is Bond by way of Bourne, and SP is Bond by way of Kubrick.
    I would say that QoS is Bond by way of Bourne, and SP is Bond by way of Kubrick.

I like that comparison ;-). Actually, you do know that Stanley Kubrick was an uncredited consulting cinematographer on TSWLM huh ;-)?
    I would say that QoS is Bond by way of Bourne, and SP is Bond by way of Kubrick.

I like that comparison ;-). Actually, you do know that Stanley Kubrick was an uncredited consulting cinematographer on TSWLM huh ;-)?
    Yes, I only found that out recently. Apparently it was Ken Adam who called him in to determine how best to light the interior of the massive Pinewood Liparus set.

Yes, I only found that out recently. Apparently it was Ken Adam who called him in to determine how best to light the interior of the massive Pinewood Liparus set.

Dear @BondJames. As we both are huge Bond nerds.....you only found that out recently?? I am disappointed :-P.

Dear @BondJames. As we both are huge Bond nerds.....you only found that out recently?? I am disappointed :-P.
    I actually have learned a lot from users here about various trivia that I wasn't previously aware of. I hardly watch the special features on the dvds/blu rays, and so am sure there's still a lot I don't know.

Speaking of that classic, tomorrow is the 40th anniversary of its release (7/7/77). I have a very busy day and so unfortunately won't be able to view it in honour, but will definitely get to it this weekend and will pay attention to that scene to see Kubrick's influence. It will be bittersweet of course since Sir Rog is no longer with us.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 9,117

I actually have learned a lot from users here about various trivia that I wasn't previously aware of. I hardly watch the special features on the dvds/blu rays, and so am sure there's still a lot I don't know.

Speaking of that classic, tomorrow is the 40th anniversary of its release (7/7/77). I have a very busy day and so unfortunately won't be able to view it in honour, but will definitely get to it this weekend and will pay attention to that scene to see Kubrick's influence. It will be bittersweet of course since Sir Rog is no longer with us.

Bugger never realised it was the anniversary. I watched it last week as part of my post holiday Rogerthon.

I might watch this instead then which I discovered on youtube the other day and vaguley remember hearing of but have never seen before:

Typical EON not to include this doc on the feeble 50th Bluray set.

Paul Greengrass fan actually. He'd be a better Bond director than Sam bloody Mendes!

Bugger never realised it was the anniversary. I watched it last week as part of my post holiday Rogerthon.

I might watch this instead then which I discovered on youtube the other day and vaguley remember hearing of but have never seen before:

Thanks for posting this. That's longer than the film itself! I'll definitely be watching it this weekend. Cheers.

Paul Greengrass fan actually. He'd be a better Bond director than Sam bloody Mendes!

Except he wouldnt because he's a raving lefty who despises Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2017 Posts: 45,489

I didn t get to see TSWLM in 77, but I watched that documentary on tv, it was aired in two or three parts. Maybe more, don t remember.

Except he wouldnt because he's a raving lefty who despises Bond.

Yeah, I know. Unfortunate as he would be an ideal candidate.

Love his directing skills, hate his politics.

Doesn't seem to mind making films about American spies though.....

Ooowh, I think it is, I think it is dear @BondJames :-). Generic movie watchers in the end judge a film by its looks and the feel of it. SP is instantly the more stylish, more Bond-ish entry.

May I ask you what exactly makes you the ultimate judge in these regards? How about you allow people to have their own taste that,by the way, may be considerably better than yours. Just saying.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Doesn't seem to mind making films about American spies though.....

Yeah but Bourne's a good, honest salt of the earth guy who has been manipulated by 'The Man' into killing.

Bond on the other hand is a disgusting imperialist and, worst of all, proud to be British, which is the the most heinous crime you can commit in this country as far as the rabid left are concerned.

This in itself would be and not too difficult feat, but I have been very underwhelmed by the last Bourne effort.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I'd take QoS over SPECTRE any day.