How long is a reasonable hiatus?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yes, the second film comes after the actor's first with the same regularity of its time period. Sean got his in one year, as was customary, and the same for Roger (the last "quick" sequel for an actor), then Tim, Pierce and Dan were all part of the one every two years climate.

That being said, I only see this argument being peddled by one member here, so I don't think it's a widely held position.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,721
    QoS had to contend with the writers strike and Wilson stated that TND didn't have a functioning script - yet they pushed through with both of them. What strikes me as natural is the idea that they were eager to keep momentum going - by the time they got to DAD they were OK pushing it out to three years and the same is there for DC with SP and Bond 25. I certainly believe they are keen to get that second film out to solidify the actor as Bond.

But I'll row back on this 'argument' as it was just a sense I had not a belief.
    This idea that they tend to rush an actor s second film doesn t really hold up.

FRWL-standard gap for those first four films. GF came out even sooner.

TMWTGG-same gap as between DAF and LALD, and that included a search for a new actor as well.

LTK-same as for well over a decade.

TND-nothing special there either

QOS-only special in retrospect

The original plan for QoS was for it to be out in May 2008.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dennison wrote: »
    This idea that they tend to rush an actor s second film doesn t really hold up.

FRWL-standard gap for those first four films. GF came out even sooner.

TMWTGG-same gap as between DAF and LALD, and that included a search for a new actor as well.

LTK-same as for well over a decade.

TND-nothing special there either

QOS-only special in retrospect

The original plan for QoS was for it to be out in May 2008.
    So it happened once. Hardly a pattern. It was probably due to it being a directsequel.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Wasn’t that to align with Fleming’s birthday anniversary
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Could well be.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 538
    4 years is a reasonable hiatus between actors, but not between installments.

Keep in mind the 2010's are a different era. Social media, news and entertainment happen so quickly nowadays, you can't totally leave the face of the earth and expect people to care again in 4 years. Being gone for 4 years nowadays is like being gone for 8.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,086
    Delete.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 1,661
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    And what about between 2002 and 2006? Why not produce one more with Brosnan in 2004 and then prepare for CR in 2007, would have made a nice 2007 logo as well ;)

That would have been nice.

I really do hope after B25 Eon gets things in gear for future Bonds on a regular schedule. The Craig era has cemented my doubts. I feel the 4 year gap has become so accepted that each entry is just playing it by ear with no real ground plan laid out for the future.

In some ways it's arrogant for Eon to just assume Bond will always continue and be around in some form or another. Granted there are various versions of the Sherlock Holmes character produced every now and then, as well as Frankenstein, Tarzan and Dracula. But let's be honest: something like Tarzan has been so out of the limelight these past few decades that few people today probably even get the Tarzan yell joke in OP. Not to mention, many newer versions of Tarzan tend to suck. Same with Dracula, unfortunately.

We're at the point that whenever a new Bond film goes into production, a kid graduating high school would have still be in middle school when the last entry was out. For an 18 year old, that a HUGE portion of their life.

But the opposite approach can backfire too. Star Wars ep 7 has had major criticism, came out two years after ep 6. And Solo has come out a year after ep 7 and done poor box office. Fast turn around of films isn't a guarantee of critical admiration nor success. Having said that, ep 7 did make over a billion so that's not shabby!

Four years is a bit of a wait, though. Three years should be long enough per Bond film.

I really hope they hit a 2022 release date for Bond 26. That seems reasonable, considering they know this is Craig's last film before shooting starts. I also hope they can inject a measure of fun back into proceedings with Bond 26, like GoldenEye and Live and let Die managed to do. The last 3 films have been a bit of a downer for me.
    I really hope they hit a 2022 release date for Bond 26. That seems reasonable, considering they know this is Craig's last film before shooting starts. I also hope they can inject a measure of fun back into proceedings with Bond 26, like GoldenEye and Live and let Die managed to do. The last 3 films have been a bit of a downer for me.

I certainly don't watch the last 3 films as often as any of the others. So much time has passed and we've only had a small handful of films in the Craig era. Right now I'm feeling his 5th and final film should have been released last year, with the next film a debut outing for another actor.

I certainly don't watch the last 3 films as often as any of the others. So much time has passed and we've only had a small handful of films in the Craig era. Right now I'm feeling his 5th and final film should have been released last year, with the next film a debut outing for another actor.

Yes, and that would have given them the usual 4 year gap between Bonds.

Bond 25 2018

Bond 26 2022

I don't think Bond 25 would get the negative press that it has if only they had gotten to it a year sooner. I just hate the idea of back to back 4 year haitus's.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Same here. More than actor choice (I'm open to most of the candidates touted as potential replacements here, including Elba), I just want them to get back to a regular 2-3 year turnaround going forward.
    Yeah, it's crazy. Before the millennium there was only one gap of four years or longer. Since the millennium there have been three gaps of four years or longer.

2002 - 2006

2008 - 2012

2015 - 2019

And if there isn't a Bond film in 2022, that'll be the fourth four year gap since 2000. There will have been have been more four year gaps than three and two year gaps combined (since 2000).

So fingers crossed they can apply their foot to the accelerator going forward.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

I don't think Bond 25 would get the negative press that it has if only they had gotten to it a year sooner. I just hate the idea of back to back 4 year haitus's.

What negative press has Bond 25 got?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 15,804
    bondjames wrote: »

Same here. More than actor choice (I'm open to most of the candidates touted as potential replacements here, including Elba), I just want them to get back to a regular 2-3 year turnaround going forward.

I do as well. However, considering the Craig era has consistently given us disappointing gaps between films, I'm not even going to hold my breath for a 60th anniversary film.

I don't fault the current 4 year gap on the search for a distribution deal as much as the time Eon spent pursuing other projects, and waiting for Craig to make a decision. I strongly believe the distribution deal could have been finalized much sooner had that been Eon's immediate focus post SPECTRE. I believe Mickey G anticipated it to be sorted out around February of 2016. Yet they worked on that Gloria Grahame film, and whatever while waiting for Craig to make up his mind. Craig mentioned everyone was tired and needed a break, etc

This gives me the impression that after 50 plus years, the team at Eon simply don't WANT to produce the films within a consistent time frame anymore the way Cubby did.

My feeling is that after Craig, Eon will have no idea where to go from there, and we'll get an even longer period of indecision before someone else steps into the role.

The re-boot with CR should have been a new beginning and burst of energy for Eon. I think it started out that way, actually. Now it seems Eon are only hiring prestigious directors with their own visions. Perhaps the Oscar winning SF changed their priorities?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »

I do as well. However, considering the Craig era has consistently given us disappointing gaps between films, I'm not even going to hold my breath for a 60th anniversary film.

I don't fault the current 4 year gap on the search for a distribution deal as much as the time Eon spent pursuing other projects, and waiting for Craig to make a decision. I strongly believe the distribution deal could have been finalized much sooner had that been Eon's immediate focus post SPECTRE. I believe Mickey G anticipated it to be sorted out around February of 2016. Yet they worked on that Gloria Grahame film, and whatever while waiting for Craig to make up his mind. Craig mentioned everyone was tired and needed a break, etc

This gives me the impression that after 50 plus years, the team at Eon simply don't WANT to produce the films within a consistent time frame anymore the way Cubby did.

My feeling is that after Craig, Eon will have no idea where to go from there, and we'll get an even longer period of indecision before someone else steps into the role.

The re-boot with CR should have been a new beginning and burst of energy for Eon. I think it started out that way, actually. Now it seems Eon are only hiring prestigious directors with their own visions. Perhaps the Oscar winning SF changed their priorities?
    They certainly have a different approach to the past, that's for sure. I've pretty much given up on caring about what they get up to these days. I just hope they deliver B25 by 2019 and then the future will shape itself. Lots of changes are happening in the industry and I'm curious to see where they go with this next.

Bond is a phenomenal brand IP, although it also is a risky one in this day and age. More politically palatable (and far more inventive) competitors are springing up everywhere as well, and so I don't envy the producers, who must contend with life long fans like us as well as all the 'market noise'. It's going to be increasingly difficult to stay ahead of the curve imho.
    Bond is like The prestige cheese maker who works out of his own kitchen and produces only a few barrels a year. It doesn't matter how many big boy manufactures create their own mass produced brand, there will always be a place for the small cheese maker, who puts in the proper time and effort for a higher class product. The problem is that, since 2000 EON has only delivered to it's high quality standards twice. And the competition is starting to not look so amatuer by comparison.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Yes, and that would have given them the usual 4 year gap between Bonds.

Bond 25 2018

Bond 26 2022

To be fair, only Brosnan and Craig had a 4 year gap, not exactly "usual"
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Royale with cheese, huh.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSA2S4kXZ9zrQJhu2Nug0ifHwFW3k6v0Ap2vNM7vFqDlupcob9P
    A reasonable hiatus is two years! That´s it! It only requires a lack of courtroom nonsense and actually having a director and script writers in place in advance. Looking at recent times, more than half the period between each film goes into non film related stuff and meddling for the right director and cast. I don´t think it is too much to ask that we get less of this in the future... The time it actually takes to finish a script and put it on screen is two years maximum. Usually less...
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,441
    I hope the fact that P&W are no longer screenplay or writing credit for Johnny English Strikes Again (whyle i think it is mistake and later on stil will be credit for chacters) and there don't work on Bond 25 (if this later stil not happing) there already working on Bond 26. With mabey Denis Villeneuve as possible option to be directer. Or mabey return of Danny Boyle and that his writer will be 3th writer.

The producers and P&W will possible also take look to what Mission Impossible 7 in 2021 wil do. I think Daniel Craig and Universal wil return for Bond 26. Bond 27 wil mabey out in 2025 and inbetween Johnny English 4 in 2024.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    jobo wrote: »
    A reasonable hiatus is two years! That´s it! It only requires a lack of courtroom nonsense and actually having a director and script writers in place in advance. Looking at recent times, more than half the period between each film goes into non film related stuff and meddling for the right director and cast. I don´t think it is too much to ask that we get less of this in the future... The time it actually takes to finish a script and put it on screen is two years maximum. Usually less...

This right here. Two years. Three years is okay once in a while. The four year gap between QOS and SF is understandable but the gaps between SF and SP and B25 are ridiculous. I'm hoping that the next decade gets us back on track with 4-5 films a decade but I won't hold my breath.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Look I understand that these films take a long time to make. So 2.5 years is a minimum wait. 2.5 years I think is a reasonable and perfect Gap to build anticipation. 3 years is fine. 4 years is disgusting quite frankly because it’s wasted time
  • RC7RC7
    Remington wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »

This right here. Two years. Three years is okay once in a while. The four year gap between QOS and SF is understandable but the gaps between SF and SP and B25 are ridiculous. I'm hoping that the next decade gets us back on track with 4-5 films a decade but I won't hold my breath.

Yeah, don’t hold your breath.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Benny wrote: »

Considering they haven't started shooting yet, that's an amazing feat!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    peter wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »

Considering they haven't started shooting yet, that's an amazing feat!

You could be waiting a while for an answer @peter
    @Mendes4Lyfe will likely ignore responding.

• peterpeter Toronto
    I don't know if Mendes4Lyfe likes me all that much, @Benny, so I never expect a response, sadly.

We are at odds on his DC appraisal, but Mendes has some astute observations that I don't ignore and I always read him with all seriousness.

Peter, I don't dislike you at all and can answer any questions you have via PM if you'd like. ;) It's just one particular mod/member has attempted to ban me in the past, so I try to avoid being goaded by them again.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    appreciate that @Mendes4Lyfe -- even though I've poked you a few times about Turner, many things you write are sensible (and for the other comments that may not be so sensible, I chalk that up to your passion).

P