Honouring Roger Moore in Bond 25.

in Bond Movies Posts: 11,189
Would you like to see a dedication to Roger in the next film? If so how do you think it should be done. A direct dedication like they did with Cubby at the end of TND or an homage during the film?

I was thinking of an advertisement for UNICEF worked reasonably subtly into the film (given as this was apparently his proudest achievement). Maybe have it on some sort of billboard.

What would your suggestions be?

Comments

• edited May 2017 Posts: 6,844
    A dedication like Cubby's would be lovely. I fully believe Desmond would have received a similar tribute at the end of TWINE had he not died a mere month after the film's release (and he did receive a video montage tribute after the end credits of TWINE's VHS release). I certainly think Roger—as well as any one of the big 6—would warrant a dedication too.

No to an homage. The newer films are full of too many homages anyway, and I struggle to think what kind of homage would really honor Roger.

UNICEF "product placement" would be welcome, however. With all the Sony, Heineken, Virgin Airlines, etc., I think we can grant Rog some UNICEF love.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    I tweeted about this and it gained some traction so it seems like many people think it's appropriate (as long as it isn't overdone, naturally). "Dedicated to.." as the 1st credit when the film ends would be nice. With UNICEF that wouldn't cost them anything to promote but then again, they could of always done that.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    They will do. Roger has been very good to Bond, never spoken a word against them. I would lose all my respect for EON if they neglected to give him a proper sendoff like that.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I would hope so. If not in the film, then at least in the special features
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It would be a really nice way to honour Sir Roger.
    Personally, honoring someone in the context of the movie is always so hokey.

I find it all pretty cringeworthy. For example, the Paul Walker farewell is such sentimental guff that has no place in the context of the film and only serves the meta-narrative happening around the film concerning his death.

It's all a tad self-serving. Someone mentioned Desmond's final scene in TWINE, in some senses, its a little on-the-nose, but it's so well written, sincere and earned that its's hard to be mad. It also helps that he is still alive and in the scene to say farewell. So
    its clearly a conscious decision by the actor to step aside, also it's brief and isn't allowed to linger.

As far as a tribute to Roger goes...he hasn't been part of the franchise for over 30 years. Personally, I think a tribute similar to Dana Broccoli's in CR would be most appropriate, if any at all.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    There was a tribute to Dana in CR?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    So on a thread to honour Roger Moore you , decide not to honour him?
    As Roger himself said " if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all "
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,425
    A cubby style dedication is more than adequate. Please no fourth wall busting nonsense during the film itself or DAD style references.

I don't think a 'donate to Unicef' ad is really appropriate personally.

Best dedication would be a really good bond film
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    By the time Bond 25 comes out Roger's passing will no longer be current, and who's to say whether we may have lost another Bond star by then as well?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,087
    Getafix wrote: »
    A cubby style dedication is more than adequate. Please no fourth wall busting nonsense during the film itself or DAD style references.

I don't think a 'donate to Unicef' ad is really appropriate personally.

Best dedication would be a really good bond film

Yes, it occurred to me that they have even more pressure now to get the next one right.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    A simple "For Roger..." Just before the gunbarrel would be just right.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    NicNac wrote: »
    By the time Bond 25 comes out Roger's passing will no longer be current, and who's to say whether we may have lost another Bond star by then as well?

I doubt the producers would leave it out just because it isn't "current" enough, @NicNac.

What I don't know is if it's even legal to put the name in the (start of the) credits due to billing issues etc. The family would also need to agree too.
    A dedication like Cubby got in TND would be perfectly appropriate.
    Just a simple "dedicated to the memory of Sir Roger Moore" before the end credits kick in would suffice.

@NicNac I don't see the problem with honouring two Bonds at the same time, should that be the case.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Just a simple "dedicated to the memory of Sir Roger Moore" before the end credits kick in would suffice.
    I like this idea.

I like the Unicef idea also (like the Médecins Sans Frontières mention in SP for instance), if it's in passing like @BAIN123 mentioned, via a billboard or something.

Roger had so many iconic moments in his films that they could subtly homage one of them I suppose, but as others have said, we've had so many poorly done homages lately that I'll be quite happy if we didn't see that again.

Perhaps Bond could do a two handed gun barrel twist and turn shot just for the next film. That would be subtle enough but still let us know who they're respecting.

Finally, and again as others have said, a good solid action thriller with a light hearted sense of humour would be the best tribute to Sir Roger Moore.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »

Perhaps Bond could do a two handed gun barrel twist and turn shot just for the next film. That would be subtle enough but still let us know who they're respecting.

I like that idea.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Back in 2015, the VUE Cinema chain here in the UK, ran Bond double bills. Each week, they ran the 1st and 3 of each Bond (in the case of Dalton, they showed both films, and with OHMSS, they ran it with TMWTGG). So I think they should show the Moore era, 1 film for 1 week, then move on to the next film. And not just show the films, but also donate some/all of the proceeds to UNICEF. As an ambassador for the charity, would an act of that generosity not be a fitting way to honor Roger Moore?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Roger Moore deserves a statue. The last time a celebrity death affected me this much was when Johnny Cash passed away I think.
    A few ideas

1. Title Bond 25 The Property of a Lady while it's a fleming title it was also a part of the plot of one of my personal favorite Roger Moore Bond films Octopussy

2. Paul McCartney back to do the theme (He introduced us to Moore in 1973 why not do another theme)

3. Have a "in honor of sir roger moore" at the end of the film

4. have an assassin dress up like a clown

5. have Deborah Moore show up in a cameo ALA Die another day

those are my thoughts anyways
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,400
    Risico007 wrote: »
    A few ideas

1. Title Bond 25 The Property of a Lady while it's a fleming title it was also a part of the plot of one of my personal favorite Roger Moore Bond films Octopussy

2. Paul McCartney back to do the theme (He introduced us to Moore in 1973 why not do another theme)

3. Have a "in honor of sir roger moore" at the end of the film

4. have an assassin dress up like a clown

5. have Deborah Moore show up in a cameo ALA Die another day

those are my thoughts anyways

Stinks of fan service.

Something along the lines of Heath Ledger's dedication in TDK would be fitting:

Note he was directly involved in the film and only gets his dedication rather late on in the credits. Positioning dosen't really matter, but EON have never made a habit of crediting people who have starred in the Bond films. Lois Maxwell, Bernard Lee, Desmond Llewellyn all didn't get a credit despite being connected to the series for decades.

There is no precedent for past Bond's though....I couldn't care either way to be honest, it's a pretty empty gesture. EON's response over the last few days has resonated much more, opposed to pondering some credit for a film that doesn't even exist yet.

Babs and MGW released a press statement for an actor they worked with 30 years ago. It's a classy move and shows that Bond is a true family business. That means more. No other franchise would ever do that. It goes to show the sense of heritage and history associated with Bond and the Broccoli family's ties with the series and its cast.
    No,and I don't think Sir Roger would even want that...he would just want a Bond film to do the series justice...he doesn't need honouring in a film,none of us will forget him.

That's the best honour he can have,bless him.

I like that- especially with a great John Barry Moore era style Bond Theme to accompany the dots.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If anything, I'm sure the credits will at least pay tribute to him, if not something a bit more obvious/for the fans within the film itself.
    By the time Bond25 comes around they probably have to honour more than Just Roger Moore. [I am expecting them to take that long!]
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I like that- especially with a great John Barry Moore era style Bond Theme to accompany the dots.

That would be a beautiful touch! Still cannot wrap my head around it all though? Bless him!
    SaintMark wrote: »
    By the time Bond25 comes around they probably have to honour more than Just Roger Moore. [I am expecting them to take that long!]

You may be right. That would be unfortunate to say the least.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Just something small. I'm sure they could work "Keeping the British end up, sir" into Craig's dialogue.
    Put a dedication before the gunbarrel. Maybe one or two subtle references to Moore Bond films.
    My preference would be a subtle reference to Moore at sometime during the course of the film... not at the credits or pre-credits. And not a blatantly obvious nod, just something subtle that only a rewatch or a hardcore fan will notice.