Talented actors who were miscast/poor in Bond

2»

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    There are a few ways to take this. I think Hatcher was given some dreadful lines to deliver and I think she did the best she could with the material. Her death has no emotional pull even though it should. It would have been better to bring back a Bond girl from a previous film and then maybe the emotional heft would be there.

I don't agree with Walken I think he's one of the best things in the whole movie. I would have loved to have seen Dalton's Bond go against him.

Donald Pleasence was miscast as Blofeld. In the movies leading up to YOLT it would appear that Blofeld has some physical heft and a presence. The reveal of Donald is a let down. The other actor cast would have been more of a miscast though.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Yeah who knows what they were thinking when they finally casted Blofeld as THE villain in which that is who we ended up with. Considering the menacing unseen figur we'd gotten in FRWL and TB.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I think most of the "miscast" ones mainly had badly written roles. A truly miscast one I think was Teri Hatcher. She is good as a sexy girl/milf next door, not a great actress but a capable one when well directed in the right role and her comfort zone. She was however utterly wrong for a Bond girl.
    It was always unfathomable to me that Bond, a man who has bed the most beautiful women from all over the world, would fall for her. I realize love is blind, but it still stretched credibility too far for me (just like the casting of Richards as physicist). So yes, I think she was miscast.
  • thedove wrote: »
    There are a few ways to take this. I think Hatcher was given some dreadful lines to deliver and I think she did the best she could with the material. Her death has no emotional pull even though it should. It would have been better to bring back a Bond girl from a previous film and then maybe the emotional heft would be there.

I don't agree with Walken I think he's one of the best things in the whole movie. I would have loved to have seen Dalton's Bond go against him.

Donald Pleasence was miscast as Blofeld. In the movies leading up to YOLT it would appear that Blofeld has some physical heft and a presence. The reveal of Donald is a let down. The other actor cast would have been more of a miscast though.

I love Donald Pleasence, such a phenomenal actor, and I loved his Blofeld as a kid, but I unfortunately have to agree, total let down compared to the FRWL/TB interpretation.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think most of the "miscast" ones mainly had badly written roles. A truly miscast one I think was Teri Hatcher. She is good as a sexy girl/milf next door, not a great actress but a capable one when well directed in the right role and her comfort zone. She was however utterly wrong for a Bond girl.
    It was always unfathomable to me that Bond, a man who has bed the most beautiful women from all over the world, would fall for her. I realize love is blind, but it still stretched credibility too far for me (just like the casting of Richards as physicist). So yes, I think she was miscast.

Hatcher looks hot and sexy. But in a common way. Not like Bond girls should be, out of this world and exotic. And as Paris has also to be a tragic character, Hatcher was completely out of her depth.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »

Hatcher looks hot and sexy. But in a common way. Not like Bond girls should be, out of this world and exotic. And as Paris has also to be a tragic character, Hatcher was completely out of her depth.
    I agree. She acted as though she didn't want to be there. It truly was a piss poor performance from Hatcher imho.