Cubby Broccoli's House O' Ridiculousness

edited April 2017 in Bond Movies Posts: 352
As much as I love Cubby's contributions to the franchise - I mean, he is the father of the films - there are many points in the series which are very cringeworthy. Examples being the parrot in FYEO, the Beach Boys song during the ski chase in AVTAK, the slidewhistle during the car stunt in TMWTGG, the cheerful music when Bond wrestles with Pussy in the barn in Goldfinger, silly animal scenes in MR, OP, lots of circus-related material, (the list goes on).

I felt that these took away from the film, in terms of seriousness and substance. My question is, Why? Why did Cubby feel it was appropriate to add these scenes/themes to the films?

Comments

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    I don't see any humour in the OP circus scenes tbh, in fact, I find that those moments are full of tension and suspense. Especially since we see him fighting his way to the airbase to stop the bomb (against all human instinct). Bond is tired but he is persistent and determined to get to that base even if it kills him. To make the situation even more dire, he is turned down by several people forcing him to steal a woman's car and then evade german police as well as US troops...

He only dresses up so no one recognizes him, jeez. And Moore's expression on his face when no one believes his "contrived" story and he takes off the mask is one of his best moments imho. He doesn't give a damn abot anything except the bomb and everyone's lives.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 170
    delete
    Sure, the scenes may have had a family-purpose, so people have "fun," but I, and many other Bond fans, feel that's it takes substance away from the films and plot.

I will say - I agree with @BondAficionado , in that the OP circus scene is a great one of suspense. this helped the plot.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 170
    delete
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I once read somewhat that the (doubtlessly stupid and annoying) slide-whistle in TMWTGG was an original idea by the musical genius, John Barry. Shows that he was human after all.
    During Cubby´s reign, the Bond films were splendid and had short cringe-worthy moments in them. Compared to a big part of what came after, I´d say there´s no reason to complain.

Once I got used to those moments, I learned to enjoy them, they contribute to the films not getting stuck in a rut.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I once read somewhat that the (doubtlessly stupid and annoying) slide-whistle in TMWTGG was an original idea by the musical genius, John Barry. Shows that he was human after all.

I think he regretted it hugely - he also felt TMWTGG was his weakest theme song.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Robertson wrote: »
    delete
    Robertson wrote: »
    delete

You only delete twice, Mr Robertson.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 45,489
    @jake24 it is getting too damn crowded in Youknowwhat. Here is another thread that doesn t bump for the last three months.

Good to have an alternative in case we want to kill those others on copyright or get down to hacking the next election.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Try not to cock it up this time, @Thunderfinger.
    @jake24, we need to kill all the others just in case. Except @Creasy47 . We need a friend among the mods.

Who should do the killing? There are 11 victims across the globe. Who is up for it?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Just leave it to me, @Thunderfinger. My loyalty to this organization is total, I will protect it with my last breath.
    @jake24, I just realized another glitch. joshdeese93 will get notifications every time we post here as it his thread. We must either enroll him or "take care" of him. Or find another place to meet.
    Its already taken care of.
    tenor.gif
    Haha!
    @jake24 @Creasy47 just reminding you that this exists if you want to backtalk the others.
    I'm way too hungover.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What is this?
    @Creasy47 another safehouse. Even more secret.
    @QBranch, here is another one where anarchy rules.
    465360.jpg?b64lines=IEEgdGhyZWFkIHRoYXQgZG9lc24gdCBidW1wPw==
    dceba1a40feaee86afdbba2fddf0ac0b58fdaeee00ba0f44bbdbd0eeffb8a7ff.png
    mindcon120_03.jpg
    Russians-massing-to-Genesius-001-1024x539.jpg