The Avengers (1961-1969)

1235»

Comments

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    @Torgeirtrap. Depending on where you live (I live in the US), you may also want to try iTunes – where series 2,3 (Kay Gale), series 4,5 (Emma Peel) and series 6 (Tara King) were available the last I checked. As for series 1 (Dr. Keel) very few episodes still exist. The few that do exist can be found as the bonus disk on the “Emma Peel Mega-Set” that was issued some years ago. It was also issued as a stand alone disk.

I used to own the old A&E boxsets of The Avengers (and The New Avengers), but lost them some years ago. To replace them as physical product – without having to pay a huge amount of money – I wound up going to the “grey market.” 😊. For example, as of this writing each of The New Avengers box sets are going for about 200 USD (each) on Amazon.

If you live in the UK or have a region free DVD player, your options are far greater. You would think that this series would be available on “Britbox” but I don’t think that is the case (not in the US anyway).

Notable Resources:
    http://theavengers.tv/forever/
    https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
    https://twitter.com/AvengersTvShow

Why a photo of Linda Thorson? Well…why not!!!!
    EYqESL_X0AEa_oE.jpg
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 17,241
    Bumping this thread with a format question:
    I've been thinking about giving The Avengers a watch, but I've yet to purchase a set or separate series collections, and want to make sure I get the right releases. Am I right in understanding that series 2, series 3 and the existing episodes of series 1 are only available on DVD, and that only series 4-6 + The Cybernauts Trilogy are available on Blu-ray?

I'm thinking about region B (and region free) releases specifically.

Not sure regarding the availability of the shows on DVD, though I would skip season 1 its not very good other than a curiosity.

I am just looking at the show now on Amazon Prime season's 1,2,4,5 and 6 are available on there. Not sure why season 3 is not.

The DVD set of series 2 available on Amazon also includes the surviving episodes from series 1, so I won't have to buy a separate DVD set. Could be nice to own the series 1 episodes too, if only to have what is available of that season.

It really annoys me that Amazon Prime Video isn't available here in Norway. There are so many shows and films I'd like to check out, like The Avengers and other shows from the same era.
    @Torgeirtrap type in to YouTube 'The Avengers Full episodes' there are quite a few to watch on there.

Yes, I saw there are some episodes available on Youtube. Not the best quality though, but worth checking out nonetheless!

I think you can buy episides through YouTube also (what used to be Google Play movies).

Just checked only season 4 to 6 in UK.

Alas, no luck with Youtube/Google Play either. No TV shows are available over here, just movies…
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap. Depending on where you live (I live in the US), you may also want to try iTunes – where series 2,3 (Kay Gale), series 4,5 (Emma Peel) and series 6 (Tara King) were available the last I checked. As for series 1 (Dr. Keel) very few episodes still exist. The few that do exist can be found as the bonus disk on the “Emma Peel Mega-Set” that was issued some years ago. It was also issued as a stand alone disk.

I used to own the old A&E boxsets of The Avengers (and The New Avengers), but lost them some years ago. To replace them as physical product – without having to pay a huge amount of money – I wound up going to the “grey market.” 😊. For example, as of this writing each of The New Avengers box sets are going for about 200 USD (each) on Amazon.

If you live in the UK or have a region free DVD player, your options are far greater. You would think that this series would be available on “Britbox” but I don’t think that is the case (not in the US anyway).

Notable Resources:
    http://theavengers.tv/forever/
    https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
    https://twitter.com/AvengersTvShow

@Dwayne I live in Norway, but like the UK we use the Region B region code, so I'll be able to watch all the Studiocanal releases without having to buy a region free BR player. Physical releases looks to be the only option right now, as neither Amazon, Youtube/Google Play (as mentioned by @Fire_and_Ice_Returns) nor iTunes offers TV shows to the Scandinavian market… Britbox isn't available here either, but it might be soon.

Those resources will be handy, especially when I get around to watching the show! :-)
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Why a photo of Linda Thorson? Well…why not!!!!
    EYqESL_X0AEa_oE.jpg

Indeed, why not!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    @Torgeirtrap, I have these three Blu-ray collections
    71EEBK1ExXL._SL1200_.jpg
    71N3O6EzDlL._SL1200_.jpg
    71vNN48fYqL._SL1200_.jpg
    These may be named with their German title, but they do contain the English original version. They are still available on amazon.de. (I think I still have my previous DVD edition as well, if you're interested.)
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap, I have these three Blu-ray collections
    71EEBK1ExXL._SL1200_.jpg
    71N3O6EzDlL._SL1200_.jpg
    71vNN48fYqL._SL1200_.jpg
    These may be named with their German title, but they do contain the English original version. They are still available on amazon.de. (I think I still have my previous DVD edition as well, if you're interested.)

Can't help but notice the numbering on these Blu-ray releases, @j_w_pepper. My German is far from good, but why is the final one of these numbered with "Staffel 7" ("Series 7"), when The Avengers only ran for six series?

And thanks for the offer, but I try to get most releases on Blu-ray these days, if possible. :-)
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,664
    Looks like they split season five into two? Odd.

I checked the German Wikipedia page, but German Wikipedia is a very strange place. Their overview goes into detail about Season One, and about The New Avengers, but the apparently minor era with Diana Rigg has no text under it. :-? At any rate, the Wikipedia page doesn't separate the seasons, so that is odd.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 8,656
    My favourite Avengers website also lists seven seasons (for UK), with the Tara King period being no. 7. Cf. theavengers.tv/forever/peel.htm
    It just doesn't correspond with the numbering of the "production blocks".
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    The Ultimate Avengers book by Dave Rogers, which I usually use as my source of info on the show, has Tara King's season as season 6.
    The UK Studiocanal release also has the Tara King season as series 6. The same is the case with the French release. On IMDb however, the show is listed having 7 seasons.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    IMDb seems to have broken season 5 in two, giving Emma Peel two colour seasons. Maybe it was sold like that outside the UK?
    I'm willing to bet that ad isn't in any DVD set :

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    That's great, @Gerard - thanks for sharing!
    Those German Blu-Ray covers are lovely.
    FYI,
    I came across this yesterday (6/11).
    Someone is having a live tweet of The Avengers on Saturday afternoon (2pm EDT in the US).

The Murder Market and A Surefeit of H2O were discussed yesterday. Follow at #ActionMatinee or #AvengersMatinee.
    FYI
    For those of you in the US, Amazon Prime has seasons 2 to 6 (for free at the moment).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,861
    Gerard wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet that ad isn't in any DVD set :

Funnily enough Timex pretty much brought that watch back, so you can be Steed too :D

https://www.timex.co.uk/q-timex-1975-reissue-day-date-38mm-leather-strap-watch/TW2U878007U.html

1607441195-product-1607441168.jpg
    It's not a bad-looking watch, but I wouldn't buy it to be Steed. Although I like Steed.
    You-have-just-been-murdered(Purcell-was-in-YOLT?)
    Deaths-Door(Fawlty-Towers-guest-as-politician)
    Return-of-Cybernauts

Pretty-good-episodes
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Interesting you bring the thread back, it seems like there's a reboot afoot, and it sounds a bit further along than the usual attempts we hear of from time to time:

https://deadline.com/2024/01/the-avengers-reboot-studiocanal-industry-writers-mickey-down-konrad-kay-1235795963/
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 18 Posts: 17,727
    That reminds me that last year I bought a rake of The Avengers DVD boxsets from a charity shop via eBay for a little over £30. I think it was all of the complete sets of the original show that are available commercially so I snapped it up. I guess no one much wants physical media any more so the prices have fallen off a cliff. I must start watching them shortly as though I've seen some episodes over the years I've not seen them all.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    That reminds me that last year I bought a rake of The Avengers DVD boxsets from a charity shop via eBay for a little over £30. I think it was all of the complete sets of the original show that are available commercially so I snapped it up. I guess no one much wants physical media any more so the prices have fallen off a cliff. I must start watching them shortly as though I've seen some episodes over the years I've not seen them all.
    I sure wish that prices had fallen off a cliff, but in my impression the opposite is true. I bought most of my Blu-ray disks for (sometimes considerably) under 10 euros each for the last ten years, and the occasional new release for no more than 12.99 most of the time. These days, you have to shell out 16.99 for the simplest version of the latter (no special edition with five disks of bonus features and no useless tin box), while even re-issues of classic films go for over 10 euros. And the used versions (not counting charity shops) pretty much keep up with new ones, especially if you consider postage.

• FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited February 14 Posts: 719
    Amazon Prime here in Canada has Seasons 4 & 6, oddly not the others. I guess I should start watching before they disappear like Bonds 1-24 before them.

I would prefer Bluray sets ... but it looks like these are not 'in print' or otherwise available for Region 1 disc players.

BTW, what do aficionados consider the best season or series? Not sure of the correct terminology here ...
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Feyador wrote: »
    BTW, what do aficionados consider the best season or series? Not sure of the correct terminology here ...

I'm not a hardcore fan but I think the general feeling is series 4 is the peak - when Diana Rigg joined and they started shooting on film. (I prefer the Honor Blackman episodes myself.)
    edited February 15 Posts: 719
    Season 4, episode 3, The Cybernauts.

Love the luminous black & white photography; the charming, witty interplay between Steed and Emma; the two self-confident pros playing them without need of any self-consciously "complicated" characterizations or apparent sexual tension. And the familiar faces (Michael Gough, Burt Kwouk) fleshing out the plot. Reminds me that Rigg's Emma was way ahead of her time ....
    edited February 15 Posts: 2,598

An excellent question @Feyador.

My answer depends on my mood. If I’m in the mood for more ground (yet stylish) spy-craft, series 4 (Diana Rigg/B&W) is my go-to. If, on the other hand, I’m looking for something more fantastical, series 5 (Diana Rigg/color) gets the call.

The Linda Thorson ”Tara King” (series 6) is a bit of a mixed bag IMO. After the sci-fi elements of series five, The Avengers attempted to go back to a more grounded approach. Unfortunately, I think that Ms. Thorson (who I really like BTW) as a bit too young to pull it off (she was only about 20 years of age at the time she assumed the role). She was also not helped by the behind-the-scenes drama which saw Brian Clemens and Albert Fennell dropped in favor of John Bryce, only to be re-hired. Yet, oddly, I’ve found myself returning to these episodes in recent years. Linda was really cute!

As for the Honor Blackman “Kathy Gale” series 2 and 3; while I own them both, I’ve haven't watched all of these episodes, so I can’t judge.

.... here's to these three remarkable women!
    _87121489_87121488.jpg
    avengers-diane-rigg-patrick-macnee.jpg?fit=1200%2C700&ssl=1
    46884738244_914ecfd01b_b.jpg

Amazon Prime here in Canada has Seasons 4 & 6, oddly not the others. I guess I should start watching before they disappear like Bonds 1-24 before them.

I would prefer Bluray sets ... but it looks like these are not 'in print' or otherwise available for Region 1 disc players.

Strictly speaking American shows have "seasons" and British shows have "series" but both words are often used interchangeably too.
    edited February 15 Posts: 719
    Thanks you! @Dwayne ; @Dragonpol ; @Agent_99