The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Crying-Baby-Natural-High-for-Some-Moms.jpg
    I'm sure the magic comfort blanket of the EU, will soon make it All Better.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Clearly not then.

As Margaret Thatcher said, referenda are the device of dictators and demagogues. Shame her own idiot party didn’t pay more attention to that one.
    Far too early to decide if leaving was a good idea or not. It will be around 20 years before we can see the long term implications.

The currect shambles is down to poor execution. A gov with no backbone or vision, led by a PM who actually, personally wants to stay in
    patb wrote: »
    Far too early to decide if leaving was a good idea or not. It will be around 20 years before we can see the long term implications.

The currect shambles is down to poor execution. A gov with no backbone or vision, led by a PM who actually, personally wants to stay in

Not quite true, there never was a plan how the leave would be dome, you were in favor or against the Eu ,but the leave campaign never thought they would win so they never made any plans. Now it is up to the current government to make it up as they go along with the less than smart people making it up as the smarter people want no part in this economic disaster they see unfolding.

They should have accepted the choice of the people but take a year to plan what it is they wanted and how they were going to do it. Instead of doing the stupid thing and just jump in the pool and see what floats. A strategic f&ck up of some gigantic proportion.

Mostly I am amused when the brexit folks say about the fact that they should point the EU to what the UK wants out of the deal and we can take of leave it. And now they will have to suck up to the US again with Jerusalem otherwise he will shaft you in your next economic treaty with the US because you did not listen to the boss, he is going to do that anyhow.')
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How did you manage before the EU? Were you a third world country?
    How did you manage before the EU? Were you a third world country?

Things were actually heading that way. The early 1970s were not a happy time for the UK. Joining the EEC as it then was arguably helped save the UK.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Once Britain leaves the EU, Norway needs to get a new trade deal in place, and the government has decided to just copy whatever deal the EU makes, which is frankly pathetic. No surprise, though.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The EU, while I support it in essence, has to completely rethink its policies.
    We're living in troubled times, but I doubt that splintering up is the right way to tackle the many problems we're facing, regardless of whether a country is large or small, economically healthy or not. However, a radical re-assessment of things, combined with perhaps a few more ballsy attitude changed towards, for example, migration, is desirable.

I'm all for a united Europe, but perhaps not for this united Europe.
    I don't believe Russia is literally pulling the strings but without a doubt Trump and Brexit were the results that the Kremlin wanted.

it's arguable that Russia has more power/influence in the West right now than it did in Soviet times.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Getafix wrote: »
    it's arguable that Russia has more power/influence in the West right now than it did in Soviet times.
    I agree. And in the darkest times of the Cold War I felt safer than I do today. Because at least the politicians at the time were sane on both sides. The likes of Breshnev and Nixon would not risk an all-out nuclear war. I'm not so sure about Trump (most of all), and to a degree Putin (though I do no think he's a psychopath, unlike Trump). Add to that the Islamist mega-nuts who may get their hands on nukes and this situation is a lot more fragile than it was before the demise of the Warsaw Pact.
    Brexit is a stupid and reckless act by small-minded British people desperately clawing on to some mis-remembered notion of sovereignty.

It's being poorly implemented by May's Government as the Leave campaign neglected to provide a roadmap. Instead, Brexit took on any guise the voter wished it to be. I've heard the phrase 'Brexit was in the eye of the beholder' and it's very apposite.

Voting to leave the EU was foolhardy. I understand the sentiment and the rationale which led people to make the decision to leave, but without a solid idea of what Brexit actually means and would entail, it was a reckless and irresponsible move.

Britain, quietly rightly, will suffer. This country deserves what's coming to it. Ignorant Brits have cut their noses off to spite their faces. All we need is for Gareth Southgate to deliver the inevitable piss-poor performance in the World Cup. I'm looking forward to Britain loosing its status on the world stage, it's well-deserved.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Come on, What do you really think ! :D
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,600
    @Pierce2Daniel good points but surely it was down to the PM at the time to provide a road map that could be voted for? He was so arrogant of the win to stay, that he refused to discuss the road map. You can't blame voters for not having a road map. The ballot paper gave the option of "leave" with no proper debate, green paper or concensus regarding the what, how, when etc.

He created a vacuum which the leave campaign (a rag tag of pressure groups etc) tried to fill with a whole spectrum of ideas regarding what "leave" would look like. It was not their role to come up with official policy or a road map.

Cameron IMHO will go down as possibly THE most wreckless PM in history. This whole mess is down to him. How can you offer the nation a binary choice and only plan for one outcome???? And obviously, he could not have left Number 10 any quicker. He knew exactly what he had done.
    I agree. actually I'd put Blair and Cameron down together as 2 of our worst post-war prime ministers. Blair took us into an illegal and catastrophically destructive war in the middle East and Cameron wrecked the most prosperous and stable economic union between sovereign states the world has ever seen.

both arrogant and ignorant wreckers.

on the domestic front Blair's legacy was to be fair significantly better than Cameron's but Blair's reputation if anything is more sullied due to Iraq

@Pierce2Daniel good points but surely it was down to the PM at the time to provide a road map that could be voted for? He was so arrogant of the win to stay, that he refused to discuss the road map. You can't blame voters for not having a road map. The ballot paper gave the option of "leave" with no proper debate, green paper or concensus regarding the what, how, when etc.

He created a vacuum which the leave campaign (a rag tag of pressure groups etc) tried to fill with a whole spectrum of ideas regarding what "leave" would look like. It was not their role to come up with official policy or a road map.

Cameron IMHO will go down as possibly THE most wreckless PM in history. This whole mess is down to him. How can you offer the nation a binary choice and only plan for one outcome???? And obviously, he could not have left Number 10 any quicker. He knew exactly what he had done.

@patb I agree.

Cameron's government ignorantly offered an EU referendum in their 2015 manifesto, as they thought there was no way they would form a majority. However, the offer was so tantalising that the right-wing UKIPers took the impetus and voted Tory. Hey presto, Cameon get the majority he never anticipated.

Therefore, he sees through his promise of a Brexit vote and (again) ignorantly fails to plot out a concise and detailed plan on what an EU exit strategy could look like. It should have been this exit strategy that we voted on.

Instead, tits like Farage, Gove and Johnson were given a brief window to flood people with misinformation and pry on the electorate's patriotism and cynicism. Suddenly, we're in the mess we are now.

Cameron failed spectacularly as a PM. The worst part is that he failed on his own terms. He set the rules and fell short of his own expectations. His attempts to be politically conniving and astute backfired. He was by far the worst PM. Theresa May's political machinations last year by calling the snap election were probably more embarrassing though. Especially against the supposedly unelectable Corbyn.

I didn't vote for Brexit. However, I'm not a Remain voter who is intolerant and unwilling to listen to the other side. In fact, I find it far more gratifying and interesting to hear different opinions and exit the echo-chamber. But Britain can't leave in 2019 (I'm not saying they can't ever leave) with the current degree of disarray.

If he wanted to seperate his own views from the vote, the obvious route would be to set up in independent royal commision to put together the route out (not the detail) but the basic principles (border control, single market etc) so that "leave" at least had a basic concept/defintion. This would have also lead to a better quality of debate as many of these issues were not properly dealt with.

There is still an ongoing debate about what leave meant and politicians on both sides trying to second guess the voters in terms of what they thought leave was at the time they voted.

I think this was compounded by many within the leave campaign not really thinking they would win so the definition meant little to them and they also just made up claims, not ever thinking that they would be put into reality.

There was also a possibilty of a second question re "if you vote leave, do you want a hard withdrawal of everything or do you want us to negotiate on all issues"

The whole political system failed us and everyone , leave and remainers, are dealing with the fallout. It is horrible, just horrible. And I am a "leaver"
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Pierce2Daniel
    At least Brexit ruined Farage's private life. I take some consolation in that. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Brexit doesn't have to be a disaster. It could actually be a great opportunity given the massive organizational shifts that are to come globally in the next decade, but for that to be the case a far more strategic and coordinated approach will be required.

So far, I've been a bit disappointed by the haphazard manner in which the proposed separation is being handled. It will be messy and unpretty, and another head will have to roll (May is likely to be the fall 'gal'), but eventually I see positives under new leadership once it's done.
    The only time we do "co-ordinated" is for a Royal Wedding or funeral.

I think it's hard to imagine a bigger mess if you tried. How many "leave" voters would have predicted our current situation? (I certainly didn't) Party politics and individual careers are being put ahead of the national interest on a daily basis.

It's hard to put into words what a dangerous time this is for the UK but we have a habbit of ignoring the big stuff and, like a stupid kitten with a ping pong ball, we get distracted by the Royals, World Cup, Love Island and Andy Murray etc,

As a nation, I think we have forgotten how to get angry. Anger is a useful tool for a nation to have but we seem to have become a nation of people who don't really care that much about anything. It's interesting to think/discuss about what actually needs to happen before we get angry.

edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The only time we do "co-ordinated" is for a Royal Wedding or funeral.
    You're correct based on my observations and experience there, and therein lies a major problem. A strategic roadmap will be required in order to survive and thrive in a post-Brexit environment as a standalone. It's actually essential imho. The world is about to become far more competitive than it ever was. I'm surprised this wasn't properly thought through.

If that's not possible, then it might be appropriate to go back to Juncker and Co. with cup in hand, begging for a face saving way to remain or at least delay. "Going down together" (please forgive the Jinxism) may be preferable to alone.

Delay is most likely I think.
    We are stuck in the worst possible postition. Leading politicians who do actually respect the result of the vote (thank goodness) and , therefore, see that we do have to leave. But have no vision, commitment or imagination regarding what "leave" looks like with a PM who never actually wanted to leave!

So they are taking things on a day to day basis and just propping up their own parties and doing everything to protect their own jobs in the short term rather than putting thier country first.

Things will drag on and on and get worse and worse. There seems to be no sense of urgency. The over riding issue for the Government is not to let Labour in rather than a decent excecution of the "leave" project.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Brexit doesn't have to be a disaster. It could actually be a great opportunity given the massive organizational shifts that are to come globally in the next decade, but for that to be the case a far more strategic and coordinated approach will be required.

So far, I've been a bit disappointed by the haphazard manner in which the proposed separation is being handled. It will be messy and unpretty, and another head will have to roll (May is likely to be the fall 'gal'), but eventually I see positives under new leadership once it's done.

@bondjames How I enjoy the sunny optimism of the British when under fire.

You're going to need a stiffer upper lip than you already have. Britain is far from being great. Sadly, in an economic sense, Brexit will destroy Britain and rob it of its status on the world's stage. The irony of attempting to regain sovereignty but single-handily destroying your bargaining power will go down in history as the lousiest political move of all time.

I agreed with you that there is no redemption today, and there certainly won't be any in another 10 years.

Most Brexit voters seem to have your outlook and it's hopeless naivety masks years of intolerance and general political ignorance.
    useful tool for a nation to have but we seem to have become a nation of people who don't really care that much about anything. It's interesting to think/discuss about what actually needs to happen before we get angry.

How about this for your 'crack pot theory of the day': Why are we holding so earnestly to the idea of a 'nation'? Who decided that these artificial borders and boundaries need protecting? Who wants to protect some quaint, idealised idea of 'Britishness' and then confide it to a small region away from others? Also when you come to think about it, when was this idea ever under attack?

Why do we need to get 'angry'? Why can't be collaborate and actually make a productive community which works in tandem with others to achieve a collective goal?

I know, ridiculous. Right? Who'd have thought we all have to live on the world together when it's far more advantageous to argue about symbolism whilst distracting ourselves with the World Cup. "This is our year...I think we can win!" When did this become a matter for us or we? Perhaps its time stop fighting for a nation that doesn't care for you and start looking at a more global picture.
    Easy answer - The British want to protect their idea of Britishness. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. The Dunkirk spirit (still making movies about it) is still alive and well and pounds every day within the pages of the Daily Fail.

One of the issues with voting leave is that everyone had their own thoughts but the remainers are determined to make wild generalisations about "leave" voters. I agree that many are "little Englanders", Boris supporters, Royal Baby commemorative plate collecters, finsh Xmas lunch before the Queen, "best is British", the Allegro wasn't that bad, Spitfire was the best ever plane, can't beat a Sunday roast, can't stand that foreign muck, don't you miss Love Thy Neighbour etc . I hate that attitude but, by voting leave, I and many others are lumped into this tribe.

The binary nature of the vote and the dumbed down level of debate leads to wild , lazy generalisations on both sides which serve non of us well and detract from a higher level of debate and insight.

My point about getting angry was a wider one but, for example, democracy and sovereignty were key topics of the Brexit debate but now find we have a minority governement propped up by the DUP (dont get me started on them). A million miles from democracy. We should, at the very least, be concerned (and, IMHO angry) with this and ask/demand to be governed by a governement with a majority. But, we, as a nation don't seem to care.

@bondjames How I enjoy the sunny optimism of the British when under fire.

You're going to need a stiffer upper lip than you already have. Britain is far from being great. Sadly, in an economic sense, Brexit will destroy Britain and rob it of its status on the world's stage. The irony of attempting to regain sovereignty but single-handily destroying your bargaining power will go down in history as the lousiest political move of all time.

I agreed with you that there is no redemption today, and there certainly won't be any in another 10 years.

Most Brexit voters seem to have your outlook and it's hopeless naivety masks years of intolerance and general political ignorance.
    @Pierce2Daniel, I've not lived in the UK for many years, but if I did I would have seriously considered voting for Brexit. Without a realistic vision, goal and a direction it's a useless premise though, so my decision would have been with a heavy heart.

Why would I have considered Brexit? Only because I firmly believe that the EU as currently structured is doomed to failure. It's an inherently unstable construct. A political necessity rather than an economic, fiscally or monetary sound one. They have shown no will over there to reform it, and they won't until it's too late. Too much to lose for those who've gained by it to date. Status quo will prevail...until it can't.

Brexit was never going to be easy and anyone who thought otherwise was deluding themselves. We discussed this on this or another thread some time back. Ultimately Britain's decision to go it alone will require significant sacrifice and readjustment. Reinvention too. Even if there was a plan it would still have been messy because this is not happening in a static environment. There are significant tectonic changes occurring globally, and those are only going to accelerate soon.

If handled with the right frame of mind, the nation will come out of it stronger, with new purpose, a renewed identity and ready to compete in the fast evolving 21st century. If separation occurs as planned (and I'm not certain it will without a delay), then I expect political upheaval at home and new leadership to take the country forward. Not sure who that will be, but he/she will have to reveal themselves soon.

Another possibility is that the EU does make the necessary changes in time, and Britain either re-enters or delays exit even further. I find this highly unlikely at this time.
    @bondjames good points,

It's like voting to leave the Titanic but not knowing if you have a place on the lifeboat, who is in charge of the lifeboat, do you have a life jacket, how close is the rescue ship etc etc But if you are sure the ship is going to sink, you do have to get off.
    Precisely @patb. Now that the decision has been made (marginally) to leave home (and the domineering step parents) one has to buckle down and prepare for life without mummy and daddy. There will be inevitable regret and fear in the near term, but I think that's ok. In a way, it's good for the nation's soul because hard questions will be asked that would not have been asked previously. What are the real priorities and where must compromise be made? A certain honesty will inevitably return to the debate, even if unwillingly.

What seems to be lacking currently is galvanizing leadership, and more than anything that is what is required now.
    @bondjames It's not the fact that May is useless (she clearly is on borrowed time), its the lack of quality within possible replacements. I cant think of one option (from either party) who would be described as "galvanizing"
    Precisely @patb. Now that the decision has been made (marginally) to leave home (and the domineering step parents) one has to buckle down and prepare for life without mummy and daddy. There will be inevitable regret and fear in the near term, but I think that's ok. In a way, it's good for the nation's soul because hard questions will be asked that would not have been asked previously. What are the real priorities and where must compromise be made? A certain honesty will inevitably return to the debate, even if unwillingly.

What seems to be lacking currently is galvanizing leadership, and more than anything that is what is required now.

I find your analogies both endearing and pathetic.

I'm sensing little substance of any of the actual practical and tangible details of Brexit in your comments. Instead, just soft platitudes of "it'll work itself out". These are such redundant statements, which likely led to people thinking the lack of substance was reason enough to vote for Brexit.

Thanks for your two-cents. It's cute.
    @bondjames It's not the fact that May is useless (she clearly is on borrowed time), its the lack of quality within possible replacements. I cant think of one option (from either party) who would be described as "galvanizing"
    I agree. I don't think anyone politically has a clue at the moment really. This is a form of creative destruction at work and it will be very messy. Britain's version of the financial crisis. There is no textbook to work from and so a technocratic and measured approach is probably best for now.

Ultimately, one man's hubristic gamble put the nation on a path that I think it was destined to go down inevitably (if it wasn't initiated by Britain it would have been forced upon it by the EU eventually as economic circumstances would have forced further unpalatable concentration and coordination), but the timing is off. It's done now though, and if one can't chart a course in a planned fashion (due to the practical pressures of separation taking up all the time and effort), then perhaps one has to chart it without a plan. It's going to be very tricky times, but one has to remain optimistic.

I'm sensing little substance of any of the actual practical and tangible details of Brexit in your comments. Instead, just soft platitudes of "it'll work itself out". These are such redundant statements, which likely led to people thinking the lack of substance was reason enough to vote for Brexit.

I don't think either you or I are going to be able to debate the details of Brexit in the level of detail required to really do it justice. The discussions are complex and involve several components, not least the hard border with Northern Ireland and trade discussions, especially now that there are tariffs being levied. Neither of us have sufficient knowledge to have a discussion to the depth required.

What I advocate for is an industrial policy suited to Britain's current and future educational and strategic strengths. The nation has to wean itself off of London real estate and finance as primary GDP growth drivers.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 11,425
    I agree. I don't think anyone politically has a clue at the moment really. This is a form of creative destruction at work and it will be very messy. Britain's version of the financial crisis. There is no textbook to work from and so a technocratic and measured approach is probably best for now.

Ultimately, one man's hubristic gamble put the nation on a path that I think it was destined to go down inevitably (if it wasn't initiated by Britain it would have been forced upon it by the EU eventually as economic circumstances would have forced further unpalatable concentration and coordination), but the timing is off. It's done now though, and if one can't chart a course in a planned fashion (due to the practical pressures of separation taking up all the time and effort), then perhaps one has to chart it without a plan. It's going to be very tricky times, but one has to remain optimistic.

I don't think either you or I are going to be able to debate the details of Brexit in the level of detail required to really do it justice. The discussions are complex and involve several components, not least the hard border with Northern Ireland and trade discussions, especially now that there are tariffs being levied. Neither of us have sufficient knowledge to have a discussion to the depth required.

What I advocate for is an industrial policy suited to Britain's current and future educational and strategic strengths. The nation has to wean itself off of London real estate and finance as primary GDP growth drivers.

Very true re real estate and finance but it may be too late. And of course that was something entirely possible while still being a member of the EU. Look at Holland and Germany for thriving mixed economies exporting exponentially more to the rest of the world than the UK manages (Holland I think has almost double the UK's exports despite being less than half the size). The Dutch are also (in general) fabulously wealthy, with excellent public services to boot.

I'm not sure why you think leaving the EU is such a great opportunity for the UK. We tried going it alone from the 1940s to the 1970s and we ended up begging to be let into the EEC. The EU has enabled Europe to grow fantastically wealthy, with some of the best public services in the world. It's also helped Europe (and the world) to avoid a major global military conflict for over 70 years.

The new world order Trump has in mind will (if it comes to fruition) bring ruination and poverty to billions of people. The EU is a bulwark against this new wave of insanity sweeping the globe. If it didn't exist the UK would be looking to create it.

I don't doubt that we will be either hovering at the exit door for eternity, or if we do leave, we'll be banging on the door to be let back in within a decade.

Brexit it sheer unadulterated lunacy of the purest kind. I know lots of people voted for Brexit with honest/good intentions. The British left is full of useful idiots always happy to make these pathetic mistakes. People like Corbyn actually think the EU is too right wing and wants us out of it so he can impose his socialist utopia unimpeded by 'capitalist' Brussels.

We're in an age of anger and stupidity. I fear for my kids' futures.
This discussion has been closed.