CLOSED

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm so disgusted with my POSOTUS.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wow, talk about spinning it backwards.
    One person arrested after three shot near NSA headquarters in Maryland .

BBJ7uW4.img?h=410&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Three people have been shot and one person arrested near the National Security Agency headquarters in Maryland, local media reports.

Police responded to the shooting at the NSA's Fort Meade campus after a black SUV rammed into a barrier.

Cheryl Phillips, Fort Meade Garrison spokesperson confirmed one person was injured in the shooting and was taken to hospital.

The NSA did not immediately release information.

The FBI is sending its agents to the scene.

The US President Donald Trump has been briefed after the shooting, the White House confirmed.

A White House Statement read: "Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone that has been affected."

An aerial image, seen from a WRC-TV helicopter, shows police and fire response vehicles outside the NSA gates. Bullet holes can be seen in the SUV's front window, and the air bags have been deployed.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Actually, the COMPLETE statement said this:"Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone that has been affected. And if this shooter had brown skin, it is evidence that we must increase border security and implement our anti-immigration plan. If he had white skin, there's nothing to discuss. Just pray."
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    So 3 people have been shot and only one injured? This is a very confusing news item. But glad nobody died. I think.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43066226

olice in Parkland, Florida, have arrested a suspect after responding to a major shooting incident at a local high school.

More than an hour after the shooting began, the Broward Sherriff's Office said the "shooter is now in custody."

But it warned that the scene at Stoneman Douglas High School "is still active".

School superintendent Robert Runcie told reporters: "there are fatalities involved here."

He also said the suspect was "potentially a former student… that individual, we believe, is in custody."

"So far we have at least 14 victims," the Sherriff's department said, without specifying their condition.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Thanks @patb ...very distressing..updating now.

Florida shooting: Casualties reported as suspect arrested.

Police in Parkland, Florida, have arrested a suspect after responding to a major shooting incident at a local high school.

More than an hour after the shooting began, the Broward Sherriff's Office said the "shooter is now in custody."

But it warned that the scene at Stoneman Douglas High School "is still active".

School superintendent Robert Runcie told reporters: "there are fatalities involved here."

He also said the suspect was "potentially a former student… that individual, we believe, is in custody."

"So far we have at least 14 victims," the Sherriff's department said, without specifying their condition.

US media outlets reported that up to 20 people may have been injured, while some have been evacuated.

Live updates: Florida school gunman shoots 'dozens'
    A local Fox news affiliate reported seeing several people being treated for injuries outside the school.

Meanwhile, Florida Senator Bill Nelson told Fox News there were "many deaths", citing conversations with the school superintendent, the FBI, and the undersheriff.

The local public school district tweeted: "Today, close to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School's dismissal, students and staff heard what sounded like gunfire."

"The school immediately went on lockdown but is now dismissing students. We are receiving reports of possible multiple injuries," it said.

Police were clearing students from the school "one building at a time", the school said.

Image caption
    Live television footage showed students being evacuated, but the shooter remains at large, police said
    Video footage from the scene showed students being evacuated in small groups, while armed police patrolled the school's perimeter.

As the situation unfolded, helicopter footage appeared to show a person being handcuffed and placed in the back of a police car.

Coral Springs Police department tweeted instructions to teachers and students to "remain barricaded inside until police reach you".

Skip Twitter post by @CoralSpringsPD
    Police are working an active shooter scene, and ask that if you are in touch with your student you ask that they remain calm and barricaded until police come to their room, this is for everyone's safety. Do NOT call our 911 or non-emergency number unless it is an emergency.

— Coral Springs Police (@CoralSpringsPD) February 14, 2018
    End of Twitter post by @CoralSpringsPD
    The FBI also said it was attending the scene and assisting local law enforcement.

US television networks reported large numbers of parents had gathered outside the police perimeter.

One student evacuated from the school told CBS that Miami students had thought the sound of gunshots was a drill.

"We already had one earlier this morning... and then we heard gunshots; some students thought it was not that serious."

President Donald Trump tweeted condolences "to the families of the victims". White House Deputy Press Secretary Lindsay Walters said the president had been briefed and that the White House was monitoring the situation.

Skip Twitter post by @realDonaldTrump
    My prayers and condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible Florida shooting. No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school.

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 14, 2018
    End of Twitter post by @realDonaldTrump
    Florida Governor Rick Scott said he spoke to President Trump about the shooting, and was continuing to receive updates from law enforcement.

Congressman Ted Deutch, the district's representative, tweeted: "I'm sick about this news from home. Just spoke with the sheriff. This is devastating."

He said it was an "incredible school in my district - great teachers and staff, involved parents and amazing kids. Spoke with the kids there just a few weeks back."

Students were taken by bus to a "staging area" on Heron Bay Blvd, Coral Springs, where their parents could collect them.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This is terrible. I wish it wouldn't be broadcast though, if you can believe that. I mean, everytime this happens, it gives others ideas, right?
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    This is terrible. I wish it wouldn't be broadcast though, if you can believe that. I mean, everytime this happens, it gives others ideas, right?

It always will be broadcast and reported,DD...that will never change.
    17 dead according to Sky News
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm really not sure what to say anymore past how terrible something like this happened and how something should change, now, but it won't.

I believe there's been an average of over two school shootings a month this year already here in the States? Unbelievable.
    ONLY the power of thoughts & prayers can stop these shootings- clearly not enough people are thinking and praying enough....
    Dreadful US woman on Sky News already saying that its a mental illness issue in the USA rather than a gun issue. Remarkable but not surprising

Nothing positive will happen after this latest event, nothing.
    patb wrote: »
    Dreadful US woman on Sky News already saying that its a mental illness issue in the USA rather than a gun issue.
    It IS a mental health issue- our representatives working FOR the NRA are nuts.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    chrisisall wrote: »
    ONLY the power of thoughts & prayers can stop these shootings- clearly not enough people are thinking and praying enough....

Here's an idea maybe pray before a shooting so that decent chap God can intervene and stop it before it happens? What are use are prayers after the horse has bolted exactly?

Here's an idea maybe pray before a shooting so that decent chap God can intervene and stop it before it happens? What are use are prayers after the horse has bolted exactly?

But if people are praying now, that's technically before the next inevitable shooting. I guess it's really all you can offer when you refuse to do anything logical about the issue at hand.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Creasy47 wrote: »

But if people are praying now, that's technically before the next inevitable shooting. I guess it's really all you can offer when you refuse to do anything logical about the issue at hand.

So why are all these prayers falling on deaf ears then? It's almost as if God doesn't exist or if he does he just can't be arsed to help.

So why are all these prayers falling on deaf ears then? It's almost as if God doesn't exist or if he does he just can't be arsed to help.

Exactly. Further proves he either doesn't exist, or he does, and he couldn't possibly care less about what's going on down here...which isn't what religious people say he's like, so it must be the former.

Exactly. Further proves he either doesn't exist, or he does, and he couldn't possibly care less about what's going on down here...which isn't what religious people say he's like, so it must be the former.

No no no, no logic here! It is forbidden in these discussions! God has a plan we can't figure out is all... maybe he's collecting innocent souls up there to use in the coming inter-dimensional war against Satan! (not trying for a laugh here, it's just my REAL words on this would violate site rules)
  • My thoughts and prayers are with those who can only offer their thoughts and prayers. You won't have your jobs much longer.

Now, as for the REST of you legislators: stop farting around. Enough's enough, and this is way more than enough. Offer some solutions. Lead or get out of the way.
    My thoughts and prayers are with those who can only offer their thoughts and prayers. You won't have your jobs much longer.

Now, as for the REST of you legislators: stop farting around. Enough's enough, and this is way more than enough. Offer some solutions. Lead or get out of the way.

Personally I thought it was way beyond "enough" years ago. It's so commonplace now, and it's the same thing over and over every time it occurs.

Watch, tomorrow's press briefing will note that it's too early and too sensitive an issue to discuss gun control now.
    My thoughts and prayers are with those who can only offer their thoughts and prayers. You won't have your jobs much longer.

Personally I thought it was way beyond "enough" years ago. It's so commonplace now, and it's the same thing over and over every time it occurs.

Watch, tomorrow's press briefing will note that it's too early and too sensitive an issue to discuss gun control now.

It's always too early, then the next one happens and it's too early AGAIN.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 1,661
    I'm sure many people will disagree with me but I can't help but feel the endless first person shooter games can fuel some crazy kids into thinking shooting people is "fun." I'm not sure kids/teenagers or young adults spending hours playing fps is good for your mental health.

Also, it's possible the internet - social media - has fuelled more alienation. If kids feel alienated online and at school it can lead to mental issues. But I guess the main problem is the availability of guns and the fact neither side of the political divide - the Democrats or Republicans - want to challenge the gun lobby/gun manufacturers. Trump goes on about travel bans and big walls but he never mentions gun reform. The gun lobby in Washington will never allow major gun reform and I guess at some level Trump, like Obama, is a bit of a stooge.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,602
    “We have trained the kids for what to do … We did everything that we were supposed to do.”

It's not just the loss of lives. It's the creation of a culture that sees teachers and students having to train/prepare for mass shootings. What kind of long term effect does this have on the kids? Can anyone from a civilised country (I dont regard the USA as civilised in this area) imagine what it's like to send their kids to a school where they have to do "mad shootist" drills? Just horrible

PS considering nothing has changed, shall we just cut and paste a section from our last debate on gun control in the USA and just wait for the next bloodbath: saves time?

PPS latest news:

"The boys were left in the care of a family friend after their mother died, a family member said, and moved to stay at a friend’s family around Thanksgiving. That family’s lawyer, Jim Lewis, said they knew Cruz owned an AR-15. They made him keep it locked up in a cabinet, to which he had a key. "
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,678
    That's the second amendment for ya.

Just keep building your wall, America. Keep the Mexicans out and all will be good again.

And what does Trump say? The kid had mental issues. That's it? Just like that? Nothing about the guns he purchased legally? If a kid with mental issues can do that, you need to sort a few things out, perhaps. But wait, I know. Trump rather plays war games with N. Korea.

I feel so sorry for you, America. You have elected "change", but you got an incompetent pathogen instead, and we're running out of antibiotics...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2018 Posts: 4,554
    It is BOTH a mental health issue AND a gun issue. This country refuses to deal with either. Until "mental health" is handled like any other aspect of health, within the healthcare industry, nothing will change. And until we start cracking down on assault weapons and artillery and banning them like any other sort of weapon of war, nothing will change.

Furthermore, start making the gun manufacturers liable. They have been protected from lawsuits. No more. These weapons are designed, crafted, and marketed to not just fire rounds, but do so in a way that will tear the human body to shreds. In other words, they are designed to be killing machines. The AR-15 is marketed as a gun with guaranteed "performance." Sick. Really sick.
    The suspect has been charged with murder. If this is a mental health issue then, by defintion, he cannot be found guilty of murder. Gun control attempts to keep guns out of the hands of sane murderers and people with mental heath issues. It's a win win scenario.

The whole assualt weapon issue is a red herring IMHO. It implies that this kid should have been allowed a "normal gun" rather than an assault weapon. At least, then, perhaps he may only have killed five or six? Why have ANY type of gun?
This discussion has been closed.