Is Skyfall a film in favour of Brexit Britain?

Comments

I’d be most curious to see how Bond’s Britishness will be dealt with in the next film.

It would seem too interesting a theme to ignore, since so much of the character’s heritage is based on this single attribute and so much has changed since SP’s release.

So much will hinge on who the director is. For instance, a film like “Dunkirk” is nothing short of political propaganda. We know Nolan is a proud Tory and he depicts Britain as tenacious and determined. In “Dunkirk” we are witnessing a nation in retreat, but instead of playing up the death and loss of life, we are greeted by loud flag-waving nationalism. I found “Dunkirk” to be a bloodless exercise in self-congratulations.

I don’t know Sam Mendes’s political persuasion. But I’m hoping we get a more liberal take in Bond 25.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Personally, the patriotism is one of the things I love about SF and the Bond films in general. And I'm not even British lol.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Well somebody has to keep the British end up. Nobody does it better.
    SF was ahead of it's time in a few ways. The patriotic feel fits in perfectly within the post-Brexit era

"and though We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;"
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2018 Posts: 9,117
    bondjames wrote: »
    Well somebody has to keep the British end up. Nobody does it better.

Nobody does it all any more.
    I'm going to say it again: SP is the pro-Brexit Bond movie if there is one. A shadowy organization tries to take control of secret services of sovereign countries, many of them democracies, out of pure lust for power. Their front is a petty arrogant technocrat who despise democracy openly and has the trust of the establishment. The petty technocrat even compares his plan to the construction of Rome.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm going to say it again: SP is the pro-Brexit Bond movie if there is one. A shadowy organization tries to take control of secret services of sovereign countries, many of them democracies, out of pure lust for power. Their front is a petty arrogant technocrat who despise democracy openly and has the trust of the establishment. The petty technocrat even compares his plan to the construction of Rome.

Juncker as Blofeld? Yeah I can buy that.

I think Blofeld is smarter. It would be more like the people behind Juncker as Blofeld. Juncker is more like Denbigh.
    I get the message re SP but the imagery and tone of SF is basically "We are British, so there", the use of the Union flag, the poetry, wonderful London backdrop plus "Welcome to Scotland" - a great line "dont mess with us - we are hard" is the tone and it works well. It's all there in SF.

I think Blofeld is smarter. It would be more like the people behind Juncker as Blofeld. Juncker is more like Denbigh.

I'm not even sure Juncker is in that league. If we're talking Bond villain comparisons I'd say he's more Elvis.

I'm not even sure Juncker is in that league. If we're talking Bond villain comparisons I'd say he's more Elvis.

That scary.
  • Okay this made me laugh, good one!
    Considering Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig were quite public in their support of the Remain campaign, I'd have to say no.
  • GBFGBF
    Well Britishness has always been an important element of the franchise and is one reason many people - inside or outside of the GB - love the films. I am not really sure if one should interpret Skyfall or Spectre as pro Brexit films. Remember the great parachute scene in TSWLM which appeared shortly after GB joint the European Community in 1974.

I rather guess that 2012 was a very patriotic year, because of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the Olympic games and it happens to be a Bond anniversary, too.
    GBF wrote: »
    Well Britishness has always been an important element of the franchise and is one reason many people - inside or outside of the GB - love the films. I am not really sure if one should interpret Skyfall or Spectre as pro Brexit films. Remember the great parachute scene in TSWLM which appeared shortly after GB joint the European Community in 1974.

I rather guess that 2012 was a very patriotic year, because of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the Olympic games and it happens to be a Bond anniversary, too.

Exactly..question answered right there.

I don't think it has anything to do with Britishness, or very little. It's what the actors of SP represent and the ideology they defend: Denbigh, SPECTRE and Blofeld have disregard and contempt for national sovereignty and democracy and prefer a supranational organization as a ruling entity.
    I don't think it has anything to do with Britishness, or very little. It's what the actors of SP represent and the ideology they defend: Denbigh, SPECTRE and Blofeld have disregard and contempt for national sovereignty and democracy and prefer a supranational organization as a ruling entity.

Wrong film.
    Dennison wrote: »

Wrong film.

I did mention here that I consider SP the pro-Brexit Bond movie. SF not so much.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 1,031

Wrong film.

I did mention here that I consider SP the pro-Brexit Bond movie. SF not so much.

You are wrong.

Interesting to note that in 77 we had the silver jubilee and Union Jack parachute and 2012 the diamond jubilee and the Union Jack view over London. Do EON wheel out the Union Jack in times of great patriotism?

There again in 02 for the golden jubilee I don't recall the Union Jack featuring in DAD and we got it in 83 with the balloon and 85 with the iceberg so there isn't much of pattern in these things.

Wrong film.

You are wrong.

The beauty of analysis of a work of fiction is that there's no notion of falsifiability. In any case the analysis stands.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 19,339

Interesting to note that in 77 we had the silver jubilee and Union Jack parachute and 2012 the diamond jubilee and the Union Jack view over London. Do EON wheel out the Union Jack in times of great patriotism?

There again in 02 for the golden jubilee I don't recall the Union Jack featuring in DAD
    and we got it in 83 with the balloon and 85 with the iceberg so there isn't much of pattern in these things.

It did appear,Wiz,when Graves parachuted outside Buckingham Palace,his parachute.

Wrong film.

Where are you getting the superior patriotism in SP over SF,i'm intrigued ?

barryt007 wrote: »

There again in 02 for the golden jubilee I don't recall the Union Jack featuring in DAD
    and we got it in 83 with the balloon and 85 with the iceberg so there isn't much of pattern in these things.

It did appear,Wiz,when Graves parachuted outside Buckingham Palace,his parachute.

Wrong film.

Reread my posts. It has nothing to do with patriotism.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Wrong film.

Reread my posts. It has nothing to do with patriotism.

OK,i will go back over them.

Wrong film.

You are wrong.

The beauty of analysis of a work of fiction is that there's no notion of falsifiability. In any case the analysis stands.

Well considering that the producer of the film is an ardent remainer and the main actor is an ardent remainer ....

Wrong film.

You are wrong.

Well considering that the producer of the film is an ardent remainer and the main actor is an ardent remainer ....

It has nothing to do with personal opinions. Once a work of fiction is created it is out of the creators' control. Especially when it's a collective work. Basic structuralism 101.

Wrong film.

You are wrong.

It has nothing to do with personal opinions. Once a work of fiction is created it is out of the creators' control. Especially when it's a collective work. Basic structuralism 101.

Hmm, structuralism ... that kind of went out with the 1970s.

Wrong film.

You are wrong.

Still works regardless.

Wrong film.

You are wrong.

Still works regardless.

ok
    We know Nolan is a proud Tory

We do?