George Lazenby's Fisticuffs

Comments

cwl007 wrote: »
    I love my annual OHMSS viewing. The film, being based around Christmas, is great at this time of year. Everything said on this thread is spot on, George was certainly great in the fights and if I had one wish to change one thing from the whole series it would be to go back to 1969 and tell him to stop listening to his idiotic friends and do more Bonds.
    Now THAT is a perfect post cwl007 ..spot on,my thinking exactly..
    Very good and accurate list,all i would do is make Moore #5 and Dalton #6..at least Moore punched a few people !!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Lazenby, could fight ! =D>
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 13,894
    Moore might have punched a few people (so did Dalton), but in the fights, Moore was such a stiff fighter, it was like watching the Tin Man from The Wizard Of Oz trying to fight. Moore could be charming, but he wasn't a fighter.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I always thought Moore fought in a very "Theatrical " way. Keeping a hand on the
    Opponent's face. So to make a noise, You'd basically punch, you're own hand, as the
    Opponent " Sold" the impact. ...... Very old school.
    Which is a shame,because,the black and white Saint episodes showed he could be a tough bugger when he needed to be...he was tougher as Templar than he was as Bond !!
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Which is a shame,because,the black and white Saint episodes showed he could be a tough bugger when he needed to be...he was tougher as Templar than he was as Bond !!

Yes he was more convincing in the fight scenes as Templar than he ever was as Bond. Age and stunt coordination perhaps?

Moore might have punched a few people (so did Dalton), but in the fights, Moore was such a stiff fighter, it was like watching the Tin Man from The Wizard Of Oz trying to fight.

Especially when he was attempting Karate!

I always thought Moore fought in a very "Theatrical " way. Keeping a hand on the
    Opponent's face. So to make a noise, You'd basically punch, you're own hand, as the
    Opponent " Sold" the impact. ...... Very old school.

If only people did that in real life, the world would be a better place!

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    cwl007 wrote: »
    I love my annual OHMSS viewing. The film, being based around Christmas, is great at this time of year. Everything said on this thread is spot on, George was certainly great in the fights and if I had one wish to change one thing from the whole series it would be to go back to 1969 and tell him to stop listening to his idiotic friends and do more Bonds.

Yes.
    Damn right @cwl007 !!!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 13,894
    stag wrote: »
    Moore might have punched a few people (so did Dalton), but in the fights, Moore was such a stiff fighter, it was like watching the Tin Man from The Wizard Of Oz trying to fight.

Especially when he was attempting Karate!

tin-man-dance-o.gif

;)
    Yep,not Moore's finest moment...Lazenby would have nailed it.
  • All of the fights in OHMSS are so impressive, and the less said about Moore's attempts at fighting the better. What an embarrassment.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 2,896
    Lazenby was indeed an excellent fighter, and among the very best of Bonds, but credit also goes to Peter Hunt (and John Glen's) editing, which makes the fights look faster and more brutal than they would with conventional editing. Next time you watch the film, take note of how economical the editing is--Hunt knew exactly how many frames to snip in between the launch of a punch and its impact, collapsing the screentime in-between and making Lazenby move like lightning. Also watch how he snips the frames in between punches, so they follow each other more rapidly than in real life. This makes them feel more brutal. Lastly, he often films parts of the same fight from different angles and expertly intercuts them--the subtly shifting placement of the onscreen figures between punches creates a great sense of dynamism. No other Bond film has fight scenes edited with such precision.
    Yes , Peter Hunt made him look better , No doubt about it !
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 3,333
    And yet the scene when Lazenby snatches the gun from Tracy, who threatens to kill him “for a thrill”, isn’t sped up or overly edited, and Lazenby is lightning fast, @Revelator.

Has anyone seen this clip from Terry Mountain...

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Very interesting.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,984
    One of the few areas Lazenby mastered. I would say he was the best natural fighter of all the Bonds, surpassing even Connery and Craig, but the latter two have had better cinematic fights. The other three don't even compare as fighters, although with improved cinematic technology Brosnan managed comparable fights (particularly in GE).
    Yep,Sir Roger was never totally convincing but he had his moments,i just wish they would have let him fight as he did in 'The Saint' ,where he showed he could fight well.

Dalton hardly threw a punch in his 2 films ,totally unconvincing.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @barryt007 , my favourite Dalton punch was at the end of TLD when he storms Whitacker's compound; he takes out the guard with a nice straight right. Otherwise his fisticuffs were we're quite underwhelming.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    EDITED TO KEEP THIS ABOUT LAZENBY X RESPONSE TO ABOVE POST IN 'DALTONS FISTICUFFS' THREAD.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,984
    Yep,Sir Roger was never totally convincing but he had his moments,i just wish they would have let him fight as he did in 'The Saint' ,where he showed he could fight well.

Dalton hardly threw a punch in his 2 films ,totally unconvincing.

Dalton was convincing when it came to "stunt fights" like the one off the back of the cargo plane. Then again, it was mostly to do with portraying the desperation of the fight than Dalton's actual fighting prowess. As @peter mentioned, Dalton does pull off a good punch at the end of TLD, and I also liked the way he punched Dario at the bar in LTK, as well as the way he headbutts Dario at the drug factory later on.

Otherwise, though, I do agree his fighting wasn't anything of note. The prison fight in TLD is pretty lackluster.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @ForYourEyesOnly -- I'm a big fan of the Dalton head-butt! They looked great and it's a weapon that Bond would use (the skull really does damage when ramming into someone's nose!!!).
    peter wrote: »
    @ForYourEyesOnly -- I'm a big fan of the Dalton head-butt! They looked great and it's a weapon that Bond would use (the skull really does damage when ramming into someone's nose!!!).

We're in the Dalton Fisticuffs thread Peter,mate .
  • peterpeter Toronto
    thanks @barryt007 -- sorry for going off point!
    bondsum wrote: »
    And yet the scene when Lazenby snatches the gun from Tracy, who threatens to kill him “for a thrill”, isn’t sped up or overly edited, and Lazenby is lightning fast, @Revelator.

Has anyone seen this clip from Terry Mountain...

I've never seen that before, thanks for posting it. I'm in full agreement with Terry Mountain, that is how you introduce the new Bond. That and the TLD PTS are my two favourite intros.
    Very good and accurate list,all i would do is make Moore #5 and Dalton #6..at least Moore punched a few people !!

From what I remembered, few of the punches actually looked like they made contact ;)
    BAIN123 wrote: »

From what I remembered, few of the punches actually looked like they made contact ;)

Oooh cruel,cruel.
    I often think Laz should have become a professional stuntman.