TV shows That are the Rave But You Just Don't Get

2»

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I was forced to sit through the garbage lost descended into. First couple seasons were great but once the mysteries were revealed I wish they stayed mysteries.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2018 Posts: 17,804
    I didn t get the love for Lost, either.

Me either. In fact I once told it to get lost.

One i never cared to check out is: The Walking Dead.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    How about Mad Men? I saw one episode and it was boring as hell.

I thought so too, but stayed with it cause I love the 60s.
    Lost was amazing its first 4 seasons. Especially the first season. It was the kind of show that kept people around the water cooler and discussing all the symbols, the characters, the mysterious island. The finale sucked but that was okay...
    Season 2 was much like Season 1 except they concentrated on other survivors from the tail section of the plane. It had a real kick ass season finale...
    By season 3 it was starting to lose some steam but it kept you interested.
    Season 4 had the freaky "flash forwards" that just led to more chatter around the water coolers...

By Season 5 the creators made fatal mistake: instead of tying up loose ends and moving toward a satisfying conclusion they got so silly and bizarre that by the final season 6 they had so painted themselves into a corner and had no idea how to get out of it. They lied at the time saying that the series finale was planned all along but in later years they admitted to how they messed up the final two seasons.

The Walking Dead is in danger of falling into this trap.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Mine is Game Of Thrones too. I have never cared for fantasy, with Harry Potter being the only thing strong enough to break through, probably because its themes were strong and it appealed to my eight year old mind when I first read the books and saw the first films.

Quite frankly I just get so goddamn sick of people talking about GoT and it's the best case I know of a show's fans making me then hate the show. Hearing it discussed so gossipy in such a masturbatory way is like someone sharpening a pencil then jamming it into my ear like they're trying to clog a leak. It's one of those watercooler culture shows that comes along every few years that everyone has to watch, and if you don't you're a loser or out of touch, which I resent. There's a part of me that doesn't watch GoT for this very reason, for no other reason than to spite those that won't shut up about it. It's also one of those pseudo-innovative shows that people think is special and radical because it shows you breasts and penises every two minutes. These same people forget NYPD Blue from over a decade before, a show that made a name for itself by how often it'd have characters whipping their "stuff" out. The point is, that's not substance, but it does feed the appetites of people who think that's what exciting entertainment is.

From what I've seen, I'm not missing much. If I wanted to watch dozens of random people with even more random names fight with people from other families I'd ring up my mother and father's clans for a get-together dinner. But people like @Creasy47 and @doubleoego are watching it, so clearly there is something in it I can't see that has substance, otherwise both gentlemen wouldn't be watching it into its 6th (?) season.

Maybe I'll watch it years from now, when the annoyance of the culture around it dies off, the same thing I consciously did with Breaking Bad. I was wrong about that show, and after watching all five seasons of in five days during a spring break home from college a few years ago, I saw that it was just as good as it was purported to be beyond the things it was made culturally relevant for.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    People are following the football world cup like crazy these days, and I just don t get that.
    People are following the football world cup like crazy these days, and I just don t get that.

It's the world's biggest sporting event! :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Walking Dead, The Office (American version), all those superhero shows, Big Bang Theory, Parks and Recreation, Atlanta. Not an iota of interest in any of them.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The Walking Dead, The Office (American version), all those superhero shows, Big Bang Theory, Parks and Recreation, Atlanta. Not an iota of interest in any of them.

How about the British The Office?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The Office (U.S) is hysterical to me. I'm binging it on Netflix now.

I used to find Big Bang theory funny back about 6 years ago. Not so much anymore
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I used to find Big Bang theory funny back about 6 years ago. Not so much anymore

The American version is wildly cringe to me. So many people endlessly sharing memes of it on Facebook, gets even more tiring and I needn't even watch it to feel that way.

@Thunderfinger, can't say I've ever seen it, unfortunately. I love Gervais and a lot of his original work though, so I'd be surprised if I didn't enjoy it.

The American version is wildly cringe to me. So many people endlessly sharing memes of it on Facebook, gets even more tiring and I needn't even watch it to feel that way.

@Thunderfinger, can't say I've ever seen it, unfortunately. I love Gervais and a lot of his original work though, so I'd be surprised if I didn't enjoy it.

The original is by far the best, but I kind of enjoyed the American and Swedish versions as well.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,279
    There's a Swedish The Office?!

Yes, a kind of spin-off from Solsidan, but much funnier.

What is it called?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I love The Walking Dead, but am not typically a zombie fan. It's the character's relationships in that show, the superb acting, and effects that I find entertaining.

What is it called?

fb1024_kontoret2.jpg?1

What is it called?

fb1024_kontoret2.jpg?1

They even went with the same title! Has it been on TV over here?

What is it called?

fb1024_kontoret2.jpg?1

Not sure. I watched it on a Swdish channel a few years ago.

What is it called?

fb1024_kontoret2.jpg?1

Not sure. I watched it on a Swdish channel a few years ago.

It's not a new show, either? Strange if TV2 or some other channels haven't aired it, as they do air Solsidan.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I've never understood the love for The Big Bang Theory or Mike and Molly.

I have the first season of Game of Thrones but have yet to actually watch it.