Worst Bond Movie

123457»

Comments

FoxRox wrote: »
    I seldom am in the mood to watch NSNA. I've only seen it the whole way through twice. It has its moments, but given that it's essentially an inferior edition of TB, I always go to TB instead. Along with CR '67, I don't think about it near as much as the official EON films either. Almost all the EON films are better (DAD is really the only one I'd say for me that may be lower).

Yeh i get that. Forgot to mention Bernie Casey, who was an impressive Felix.
    Theres no doubt, it was missing the ingredients usually associated with EON series, which had better production values/action, but I would also put it above DAD, which has no real plus points at all (maybe Kleinmans titles, but you have to watch them with sound down because of that dirge of a song!)
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 7,500
    BT3366 wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    I refuse to even watch NSNA. Its very existence insults me!

Care to explain why? Is it a McClory thing, a huge TB fan, work for Eon?

It was only made as A) a grudge against the producers of the original series and B) so a greedy businessman could make some money on an idea which was not rightfully his. Yup, I don't like it one bit.

It was only made as A) a grudge against the producers of the original series and B) so a greedy businessman could make some money on an idea which was not rightfully his. Yup, I don't like it one bit.

And the same businessman kept on trying to make another for years. Not that he was exactly hurting for money as TB kept him rich for years. But considering he'd made an award-winning film long before, couldn't the guy have looked for another project?

You could also say Connery is also greedy in doing it to stick it to Cubby and Eon. But even he was unhappy with the finished product.

NSNA is the only Bond film I don't own on home video anymore, but not for personal reasons. Back a few years ago when it went out of print, I netted close to $70 for my Blu-ray copy and around $40 for the DVD on eBay. I can't say I've particularly missed not owning it as I would rarely watch it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it again just for a periodic reevaluation.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    One Bond film lost every single match it was in in the Bond film ranking tournament: NSNA.

Did it go up against DAD?
    Its a movie that I have learned to appreciate more over the years. OP stomped all over it the year it was released, I thought it was a huge disappointment, and was no match for EONs film.
    Nowadays, it still has major flaws, but I would easily watch it over any of Brossa entries!

Wait... NSNA over GE?
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    One Bond film lost every single match it was in in the Bond film ranking tournament: NSNA.

Its a movie that I have learned to appreciate more over the years. OP stomped all over it the year it was released, I thought it was a huge disappointment, and was no match for EONs film.
    Nowadays, it still has major flaws, but I would easily watch it over any of Brossa entries!

Wait... NSNA over GE?

Yep! Most definitely! Not as boring as GE!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,034

Wait... NSNA over GE?

Never heard that one before! Variety truly is the spice of life! ;)
    None. I like them all and in a 0/10 scale, the worst note I've put on my reviews is a 6.
    Even the two non-EON ones are charming and in fact I'm in the minority that prefers NSNA over TB.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Wait... NSNA over GE?

He isn t alone. I too rank it above GE.
    None. I like them all and in a 0/10 scale, the worst note I've put on my reviews is a 6.
    Even the two non-EON ones are charming and in fact I'm in the minority that prefers NSNA over TB.

I think most of us feel this way as far as liking them all, but as we are on a fan site, we can discuss ones we'd find better than others on that level and get enjoyment of them even if less so than our favorites. I like hearing from those that value NSNA over GE as it really makes conversations lively.

I'd rather watch my least favorite Bond films than whatever is considered the best of The Fast and the Furious series as a comparison.

Wait... NSNA over GE?

He isn t alone. I too rank it above GE.

That old saying about buses comes to mind. Waiting for one that never appears and then two come along at once!
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I too prefer NSNA to GE. Tentatively, mind you, but on my last rewatch I put GE near the bottom. I found it extremely boring and was never a fan of the last act anyway. All the stuff in Cuba is rotten, and stupid. Can't stand Boris. Can't stand Bean's phony upper class accent.

The high points of GE are the action for sure, and Kitchen's Tanner. The rest of it is massively overrated.

Waiting for the fourth bus.
    Waiting for the fourth bus.

Nothing surprises me anymore! ;)

This is why I hate public transport, too! Haha.
    I too prefer NSNA to GE. Tentatively, mind you, but on my last rewatch I put GE near the bottom. I found it extremely boring and was never a fan of the last act anyway. All the stuff in Cuba is rotten, and stupid. Can't stand Boris. Can't stand Bean's phony upper class accent.

The high points of GE are the action for sure, and Kitchen's Tanner. The rest of it is massively overrated.

Thank God someone else agrees with me about Bean! Dont even think the action is all that great!
    Low tier Bond movie for sure!

Thank God someone else agrees with me about Bean! Dont even think the action is all that great!

Bottom three.
    I don't dislike GE but find it really overrated, nothing that original or standout aside from bringing the series up to date for the mid 1990s and bringing a personal side to the mission (LTK wasn't a mission, so I'm not counting it here). It takes forever to get going and Natalya is an annoying companion.

GE seems to generate a lot of goodwill from those who saw it as their first Bond film and those who were relieved to get a new movie after 6 years. My feelings toward it are pretty much the same since November 1995.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I don't dislike GE but find it really overrated, nothing that original or standout aside from bringing the series up to date for the mid 1990s and bringing a personal side to the mission (LTK wasn't a mission, so I'm not counting it here). It takes forever to get going and Natalya is an annoying companion.

GE seems to generate a lot of goodwill from those who saw it as their first Bond film and those who were relieved to get a new movie after 6 years. My feelings toward it are pretty much the same since November 1995.

Never understood the love for Natalya-- she's over-bearing.
    peter wrote: »

Never understood the love for Natalya-- she's over-bearing.

Thank you. Sometimes I've felt so alone in that opinion. Bond is constantly saving her life and she's always nagging him or talking down. I've seen others defend her as being scared and out of her depth. Doesn't mean she shouldn't be grateful. Then toward the end suddenly she's confident, packing guns and forcing pilots to pick up Bond in a helicopter.

+2

Bean can be as respected as you like for his work outside the franchise. As a Bond villain he is not good at all! I feel I am at an amateur theatre whenever he reads those soap opery lines...
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

+2

Bean can be as respected as you like for his work outside the franchise. As a Bond villain he is not good at all! I feel I am at an amateur theatre whenever he reads those soap opery lines...

Yes, I like Sean Bean a lot. But they should have let him do his normal accent, no reason why he had to be posh. Poser than Bond ffs.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526
    All this discussion about Bean's bad accent in GE is very eye opening (ear opening?).

+2

Yes, I like Sean Bean a lot. But they should have let him do his normal accent, no reason why he had to be posh. Poser than Bond ffs.

Dont understand why he chose Trevelyan to talk like that? Was it his decision, directors? Writers?
    It just makes his character laughable, could have been one of the best villains instead he's just one of the silliest!

But the court gave McClory rights to the screenplay didn’t they?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

That's fine, of course. But I'm not sure there's anything one can stand about NSNA. The action in that film, for example, is hilariously bad. And if Bean's overdoing it with his accent, I'm sure KM Brandauer's every facial expression is a pain in the butt. And Barbara is... well, ahum, let's just say that "overdoing it" is putting it mildly. Connery's fine, though. Brosnan is too in GE. If you can't stand Boris, I bet Nigel's real torture. Oh, and boring? Oh boy, NSNA is a snore fest.

But hey, all of the above is in my opinion, and a humble one at that. :) To each their own, of course. :)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

That's fine, of course. But I'm not sure there's anything one can stand about NSNA. The action in that film, for example, is hilariously bad. And if Bean's overdoing it with his accent, I'm sure KM Brandauer's every facial expression is a pain in the butt. And Barbara is... well, ahum, let's just say that "overdoing it" is putting it mildly. Connery's fine, though. Brosnan is too in GE. If you can't stand Boris, I bet Nigel's real torture. Oh, and boring? Oh boy, NSNA is a snore fest.

But hey, all of the above is in my opinion, and a humble one at that. :) To each their own, of course. :)

NSNA is very bland. I enjoy the video game sequence followed by the motorcycle chase. The latter being the only scene that feels Eon-esque.

Don't forget the music! Oh, the pain....

You're talking about GE, right? 🤭

I would be, if it had been scored by Legrand ;)

To be honest, they both have poor scores!
    Wasnt James Horner first choice for NSNA?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

To be honest, they both have poor scores!
    Wasnt James Horner first choice for NSNA?

I have to disagree there. I love GE's music.