Worst Bond Movie

Comments

Ooo. I do love those movies. The superhero ones, I mean. Bond movies aren’t my end all be all.

I like most of the ones I've seen as well. I just prefer Bond overall as a franchise.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Currently my...
    Worst Connery Bond film DAF (NSNA if including none Eon films)
    Worst Moore Bond film AVTAK
    Worst Brosnan DAD
    Worst Craig SP

Dalton and Lazenby never appeared in bad Bond films IMO

Overall worst Bond film is SP
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    SP, no question. Nothing comes close, including the two unofficial CR adaptations and NSNA.

I almost always rank DAD last, but SP is certainly my least watched film in the series. I'm hardly ever in the mood for it, and when I am, that feeling dies as soon as I get to the "Dead Are Alive" caption.

I hope NTTD improves upon the SP, and as dearly I want the film be be up there with OHMSS, it's a tall order.

I just hope NTTD doesn't end up being the film I rank last for decades to come.

That bit does it for me, too. No level of excitement or anticipation from the opening gunbarrel onward. The Hinx/Bond fight on the train isn't too bad, but that's about it. I take pleasure in knowing that it's impossible for NTTD to be worse...though I suppose it could still be just as bad, which is an upsetting thought.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

I agree, the virtue of a short Bond career I suppose. The others all have one lesser entry.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2019 Posts: 23,378
    GoldenGun wrote: »

I agree, the virtue of a short Bond career I suppose. The others all have one lesser entry.

True a short tenure does help, though I also consider Lazenby and Dalton's films top tier Bond
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 1,595
    I've been vocally adamant for a long time that TWINE is the worst Bond film. Lately, I'm not so sure. Unfortunately, this isn't because of some newfound appreciation of TWINE, but rather the growing awareness of just how D.O.A. Spectre is. As of now, I'm still picking the former as the worst of the series - its problems are more ubiquitous and it is more egregiously "bad" than the latter for reasons I've written about here and elsewhere so I won't relitigate.

(This is out of the "official" series, btw).

edit: Just realized 2019 is the 20th Anniversary of TWINE. I suppose I owe it a revisit before the year's over. I'll go in as optimistically as possible, since it has been quite some time since I've seen it. Perhaps this viewing will reveal some merits I've previously missed (or lost, as I once loved this movie).
  • LFSLFS
    edited May 2020 Posts: 40
    Which Bond movie is the "worst" is quite difficult to measure. What makes a Bond movie "bad"? The plot, the settings, the villains? The direction? Or the Bond actor himself? But there certainly are many Bond movies which are just plain awful pictures. I would argue that almost half of the Bond movies are pretty disappointing.

But if I have to pick one as the definite worst Bond movie, for me it has to be "The World Is Not Enough". Nothing works: It is a stilted gloomy, needlessly dark Nothing, held together by a completely uninteresting plot, which would be a little less annoying if everyone involved wouldn't take himself so goddamn seriously. Ian Fleming made the trivial seem exciting and the unlikely seem normal; his books are often "fantasy thrillers". Le Chiffre works because you suspect these kinds of people really exist somewhere. Dr. No, of whom you never suspect that, works because he is so in-your-face: he has claws as hands, lives inside a mountain and is obviously not of this world.
    Renárd in TWINE on the other hand is a man with a crazy, completely abnormal feature (no sensitivity to pain due to a bullet in his head), yet he's taken seriously at a kitchen sink psychology level and causes the opposite effect for the viewer: it makes him a bad Marvel figure. But this is just one of the horrible aspects of this movie.

Michael Apted's "The World Is Not Enough" is not only the worst James Bond movie, it may be among the worst action movies of all time.

Other really bad Bond movies: Tomorrow Never Dies, Spectre, Die Another Day, The Man with the Golden Gun, Moonraker, Quantum of Solace. I really dislike Skyfall for what it is (not really a Bond movie!), but it certainly is well-made, even if its artfully glossy optics are too much for me.
    The worst Bond movie is Quantum of Solace. It's not the worst movie in the franchise, but it's the worst Bond movie.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Die Another Day & Quantum Of Solace.
    The first is the worst Bond movie while the second is not a Bond movie at all.
    Both feature the absolute worst theme songs, something that already makes a statement about their overall quality.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 7,653
    I already dislike the next American actor who plays James Bond call me Jimmie, want to offer my dislike in advance.

The rest of the movie I enjoy a lot re-watching although I honestly admit some movie I never re-watch that much.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    Die Another Day & Quantum Of Solace.
    The first is the worst Bond movie while the second is not a Bond movie at all.

Pretty much!

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Quantum of Solace. Distilled Bond.

5cd41bf15cdf19d828be3a0e49d4a1a61e472226.png
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    QOS. A massive disappointment after CR and simply the one I find the least enjoyable to watch.
    That bit where he strangles that guy on the balcony. I never before watched a Bond film where I didn't like James Bond. He was always a hero, but QOS gave us a new 'thug Bond'. I suppose it was fashionable, but it wasn't what I wanted.
    It wasn't very Fleming either.
    Fleming gave the man a license to kill so 007 killing somebody in the line of duty is actually very Fleming.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I've been vocally adamant for a long time that TWINE is the worst Bond film. Lately, I'm not so sure. Unfortunately, this isn't because of some newfound appreciation of TWINE, but rather the growing awareness of just how D.O.A. Spectre is. As of now, I'm still picking the former as the worst of the series - its problems are more ubiquitous and it is more egregiously "bad" than the latter for reasons I've written about here and elsewhere so I won't relitigate.

(This is out of the "official" series, btw).

edit: Just realized 2019 is the 20th Anniversary of TWINE. I suppose I owe it a revisit before the year's over. I'll go in as optimistically as possible, since it has been quite some time since I've seen it. Perhaps this viewing will reveal some merits I've previously missed (or lost, as I once loved this movie).

Agree there. I put TWINE ahead because PTS and Zukovsky and 007 your time is up
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Toss up between:

Diamonds Are Forever
    Octopussy
    Spectre
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    The only Bond film that made me embarrassed to be a Bond fan, the only Bond film I couldn't possibly watch ever again, the only Bond film that killed my fandom for an actor, the only Bond film that is truly an awful film on its own right, the only film that gave me PTSD (well, beside Chrystal Skull), ..:

Die Another Day
    LFS wrote: »
    Which Bond movie is the "worst" is quite difficult to measure. What makes a Bond movie "bad"? The plot, the settings, the villains? The direction? Or the Bond actor himself? But there certainly are many Bond movies which are just plain awful pictures. I would argue that almost half of the Bond movies are pretty disappointing.

But if I have to pick one as the definite worst Bond movie, for me it has to be "The World Is Not Enough". Nothing works: It is a stilted gloomy, needlessly dark Nothing, held together by a completely uninteresting plot, which would be a little less annoying if everyone involved wouldn't take himself so goddamn seriously. Ian Fleming made the trivial seem exciting and the unlikely seem normal; his books are often "fantasy thrillers". Le Chiffre works because you suspect these kinds of people really exist somewhere. Dr. No, of whom you never suspect that, works because he is so in-your-face: he has claws as hands, lives inside a mountain and is obviously not of this world.
    Renárd in TWINE on the other hand is a man with a crazy, completely abnormal feature (no sensitivity to pain due to a bullet in his head), yet he's taken seriously at a kitchen sink psychology level and causes the opposite effect for the viewer: it makes him a bad Marvel figure. But this is just one of the horrible aspects of this movie.

Michael Apted's "The World Is Not Enough" is not only the worst James Bond movie, it may be among the worst action movies of all time.

Same here. A recent viewing confirmed this is just underwhelming and lacking all around.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Worst film is a very subjective thing. I see the usual suspects are being mentioned. I am pretty sure I have already commented on this post, but lets have a 2020 comment. :)

If I was forced to choose a Bond movie that I deemed to be the worst it would be LTK. The slow motion running on the tarmac with the horns blaring are cringeworthy. Bringing back an actor from over 10 years and pairing him with a younger Bond is jarring. Having M come all the way to Florida to demand Bond revoke his licence and then when one of his men have a clear shot he tells them not to fire? Even though his sniper on the tower has already shot.

Then we add in a bride for Leiter...can someone explain why this was needed? Did they feel we wouldn't feel sorry enough for Felix unless his wife was raped and killed. The camera work is shoddy and feels like 4:3 aspect. Bond should feel BIG and grand. This film feels small and cheap.

The action scenes redeem the movie but that's a sad state when the story isn't compelling enough. Lupe Lamora while pretty isn't a good actress. Oh and one of the biggest flaws of the film is sending out Q to the field. What the hell???? He should never be out in the field fighting alongside our man. The racist disguise he uses isn't a flattering look for a Bond film either.

Yes LTK takes the worst film title for me!
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 235
    The worst Bond movie I think is Die Another Day.
    DAD was on telly last night and I caught a bit of it by accident. The bit in the ice palace. It all seemed so cheesy.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526
    DAD was on telly last night and I caught a bit of it by accident. The bit in the ice palace. It all seemed so cheesy.

It’s an unpopular movie, not a disease. ;) DAD has some good moments if you give it a chance.

To me, Octopussy commits the cardinal sin of the Bond film; it’s boring.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,697
    DAD has some good moments...in fact, the entire first half (that's about until the presentation of the invisible car) made me hopeful (right there in the cinema the first time I saw it) that the movie overall would be better than the mess that was TWINE. And no, then came the invisible car and Jinx (not Halle's fault!) and CGI tsunami surfing and atrocious scriptwriting and Mr. Kil and a fake looking ice palace...and...and...the realization that TWINE was really only the second worst Bond film after all.

I certainly said this before, but this all-encompassing disappointment that those promising aspects in the first half of the movie were totally squandered in the other half which turned the film into complete [insert four-letter word] is what causes my absolute conviction that DAD will forever remain the absolute nadir of the Bond franchise, including its non-official offspring. Give me CR'67 and especially NSNA over this miscarriage at any time. Disclaimer (as consolation?): I still haven't seen CR'54. Still, a TV drama starring Peter Lorre couldn't be worse even without a script.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Some time ago I felt the need to revisit DAF, because memory told me it wasn't as bad as people say. I remember saying some nice things about it on here in the controversial opinion thread.

Then I watched it.

It is definitely my least favourite entry since that viewing. The writing is all over the place, the practical effects are worse than a B-film from the 50's and Jill St. John is an unlikeable foul-mouthed Bond girl.

But the worst thing about it for me are the Las Vegas locations. Where other lesser Bond films redeem themselves in atmosphere, this one indulges itself in the unsophisticated crassness of Las Vegas.

At least in the novel, you can read Bond's thoughts about the place. And he's not liking it either. In the film he seems to not mind it at all. And that's what followed one of the most stylish and romantic Bond entries ever. Ghastly.
    Before the dreaded Brossa era, I always had DAF as worst Bond movie! There is a lot of crassness to it, but after seeing DAD, it makes DAF look like a masterpiece!
    I can see how DAD is a mess, but I honestly remember coming out the cinema buzzing. I'm not ashamed to admit it.
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I can see how DAD is a mess, but I honestly remember coming out the cinema buzzing. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Good for you!
    I came out of a screening very depressed, especially thinking Brossa was going to continue as Bond and the franchise was going to continue in this vein!
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    LFS wrote: »

Same here. A recent viewing confirmed this is just underwhelming and lacking all around.

Agree. Bond & The Beautiful. Ugh.

It’s an unpopular movie, not a disease. ;) DAD has some good moments if you give it a chance.

To me, Octopussy commits the cardinal sin of the Bond film; it’s boring.
    That's a rare opinion I don't see expressed much. In particular what is boring to you?

One of the things I enjoy about OP is it really moves, tons of action along with some good suspense sprinkled in there.