Anthony Horowitz's Bond novel - Forever and a Day

Comments

The cover looks better in the sea blue albeit the Pussy still can't enthuse about the art.
    That said, the boat/bullet embossed on the boards adds a touch of class and there is something that is so correct about seeing the Cape logo on a Bond book.
    Regarding the book itself, PussyNoMore will keep his powder dry until he's read it but, if he's equaled or bettered 'TM', the man Horowitz deserves to be knighted for his service to 007 !
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    I'm going to try pop into this tomorrow for a bit. Might be fun!
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Via Twitter:

DecRvDdX0AAxqbX.jpg

• ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    I think I read on this thread that Waterstones wasn’t doing an edition with extra material. If I had known they were I wouldn’t have ordered a copy from amazon. Annoying.
    Chevron wrote: »
    I think I read on this thread that Waterstones wasn’t doing an edition with extra material. If I had known they were I wouldn’t have ordered a copy from amazon. Annoying.

If memory serves, Horowitz said on twitter a couple months ago that he didn't know of a special edition with extra material. Perhaps Waterstones and IFP changed their minds afterward. In any case, the lack of coordination is annoying, though I'm grateful the Fleming material is being made available to the public.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Waterstones in Bristol at The Mall Cribs Causway have the version of Forever and a Day with the chapter at the back containing The Fleming material,And its on Sale for HALF PRICE , !...
    As of today at lunchtime ,this is not the version of the book signed by AH however,that is available to order .
    I honestly didn't know that the Waterstones edition had any Fleming material until I picked my copy up from the store. I don't recall Waterstones advertising this before.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 848
    Chevron wrote: »

Yes, it's me who say it because Horowitz said it to me :

https://i.imgur.com/VhXalUW.png

In the same time, we can blame the whole thing : the treatmeant should be in all editions. There are absolutly no for good justification for his absence on the other editions.

But it's cool to see Warterstone changed it's mind (and I hope my complain on twitter helped to do it).
    PussyNoMore has long held the view that IFP is the original gang that can’t shoot straight when it comes to the marketing of literary Bond.
    Their inability to work with the Publisher and get the most simple things correct has the Pussy scratching his well coiffured head in wonderment.
    Events go unadvertised and are notified at the last minute. Nobody knows exactly which is the special edition and even the launch evening at RFH is preempted by signings elsewhere.
    As for the ‘Fleming’ original content, does anybody even know if the ‘Goldsboro’ special edition includes it as a separate feature or is it simply just embedded in the copy ?
    Frankly IFP couldn’t organise an orgy in a brothel.
    It makes PussyNoMore’s blood boil.
    That said, he is calming down because he is on chapter five and so fare, so very good and at the end of the day that is what matters.

Looks like the book is getting some marketing, at least.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2018 Posts: 17,787
    Anthony Horowitz just donated £5000 to help his friend Vivek Gohil to get a new wheelchair. I've only just donated a little something myself. Please consider donating at his GoFundMe page today:

https://www.gofundme.com/vivekgohil

It is interesting that 'James Bond' takes a very minor positioning in all advertising - including the dust jacket.

Given that he is the principle capital it seems a strange strategy.

• Quick question, how much time does Bond spend in Stockholm? Any details about locations? Hotels?
    Quick question, how much time does Bond spend in Stockholm? Any details about locations? Hotels?

In and out in a short period.
    Places referenced are Restaurant Cattelin in the medieval district, central station, the Opera House and Strombron Bridge.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

It is interesting that 'James Bond' takes a very minor positioning in all advertising - including the dust jacket.

Agreed. A stupid strategy more like!!!!
    Revelator wrote: »
    Or wouldn't it more benefit Fleming's novels to build up the Cold War as dangerous, dramatic licence and all.

True, but I think Fleming would have done a better of this if Bond's victims had been Russian or from Eastern Bloc countries, rather than linked to Germany and Japan, the bad guys of WWII. It should also be said that CR was published in 1953, just 8 years after the war, and is still haunted by that conflict, as shown in Bond's conversation with the one-armed Frenchman. Bond is a Cold Warrior forged in the furnace of the Hot War, which makes him more formidable and battle-tested.
    PussyNoMore finds the debate fascinating albeit he never interpreted the OO prefix as having been awarded during WWII and always saw the assassinations as either moping up exercises or even Cold War related.
    Given that CR is set in 1952, albeit Fleming did save publication until PussyNoMore’s birth year, the Pussy’s wonga is on a 1950/51 setting for FAAD.
    Hopefully we will see Bond’s Bentley roaring through France to the Cote d’Azur when it was at its most glamorous.

Pussy's assumption is proven to be correct !
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The thing that I don't get is; according to Fleming there are supposed to be no more than three 00 agents. If a new 00 agent gets the code number belonging to a previous agent, how come Bond is 007?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Walecs wrote: »
    The thing that I don't get is; according to Fleming there are supposed to be no more than three 00 agents. If a new 00 agent gets the code number belonging to a previous agent, how come Bond is 007?
    According to the excerpt I’ve read, M likes to keep the numbers of the 00s random just so it doesn’t lead to a predictive organized pattern which makes it difficult for rival agencies and sides to crack the enigma of it.
    According to the excerpt I’ve read, M likes to keep the numbers of the 00s random just so it doesn’t lead to a predictive organized pattern which makes it difficult for rival agencies and sides to crack the enigma of it.

Read the book mes amis but it is fair to say that ClarkDevlin could be the better informed agent.
    Must get back to FAAD. Mon Dieu it’s good !

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Read the book mes amis but it is fair to say that ClarkDevlin could be the better informed agent.
    Must get back to FAAD. Mon Dieu it’s good !
    My humble gratitude for the compliment, old chap. :D
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,272

I thought about that. It seems like "Anthony Horowitz writes a James Bond novel" is the marketing strategy, rather than "a James Bond novel, written by Anthony Horowitz". The same was the case with his Sherlock Holmes books, if only by looking at the covers.

Didn't bother to go back to the other continuation books for comparison, but it was the same story with Solo too, wasn't it?

I thought about that. It seems like "Anthony Horowitz writes a James Bond novel" is the marketing strategy, rather than "a James Bond novel, written by Anthony Horowitz". The same was the case with his Sherlock Holmes books, if only by looking at the covers.

Didn't bother to go back to the other continuation books for comparison, but it was the same story with Solo too, wasn't it?

You are correct but back in the day, Raymond Hawkey’s covers for PAN turned out to be the biggest selling Bond collection of all time and his order of prominence was JAMES BOND followed by title and author given equal second billing.

It interests Pussy from a marketing perspective because when he looks at the elements quickly - as the casual consumer does - he doesn’t see BOND it just looks like Anthony Horowitz has written a new book! A little amateur peut etre?
  • BMWTREKPSEBMWTREKPSE Colorado
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Mine was supposed to come today. But it isn't here.

Did you order from Amazon? Did you even get a shipping notification? I did not.

You are correct but back in the day, Raymond Hawkey’s covers for PAN turned out to be the biggest selling Bond collection of all time and his order of prominence was JAMES BOND followed by title and author given equal second billing.

It interests Pussy from a marketing perspective because when he looks at the elements quickly - as the casual consumer does - he doesn’t see BOND it just looks like Anthony Horowitz has written a new book! A little amateur peut etre?

The PAN covers are a good example of the opposite in terms of marketing. Even if the name James Bond hadn't featured in such a prominent way as with the PAN covers, they could have made it pop out a little more. One thing is to question the publishers regarding the marketing, but what about Ian Fleming Publications? Surely they have something to say?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 13,894
    I have my copy. Maybe it's me,but I am not concerned by the wording on the cover. I am more interested in what lies between the covers. I plan on having a marathon of literary Bond starting with the Young Bond books (which I haven't read), but I will need to buy another copy of Double Or Die (as mine is still sealed in the foil envelop).
    I have my copy. Maybe it's me,but I am not concerned by the wording on the cover. I am more interested in what lies between the covers. I plan on having a marathon of literary Bond starting with the Young Bond books (which I haven't read), but I will need to buy another copy of Double Or Die (as mine is still sealed in the foil envelop).

No Major it’s not just you. As 007 himself knew it is what lies between the covers that counts !
    That said, maybe it’s just PussyNoMore it’s as easy to do good cover art as it is bad and he thinks Bond deserves only the best !

The PAN covers are a good example of the opposite in terms of marketing. Even if the name James Bond hadn't featured in such a prominent way as with the PAN covers, they could have made it pop out a little more. One thing is to question the publishers regarding the marketing, but what about Ian Fleming Publications? Surely they have something to say?

Torgeirtrap poses a good question. One would have thought that IFP would have something to say but performance to date would suggest that their taste buds aren’t in great shape.

Torgeirtrap poses a good question. One would have thought that IFP would have something to say but performance to date would suggest that their taste buds aren’t in great shape.

Would be interesting to hear from the publisher/book cover designer(s) about the marketing/design process. I think there was a video on Youtube (which I can't find now, unfortunately), which showed an event where there was this room decorated with 50's interiors, for the release of Trigger Mortis. Wonder if we'll see something similar for Forever and a Day.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Greetings from the 5th floor of the Royal Festival Hall! If anyone wants to say hi, you can spot me by the red Vespa bag.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    Greetings from the 5th floor of the Royal Festival Hall! If anyone wants to say hi, you can spot me by the red Vespa bag.

I think I spotted you. Will say hello at the break. I’m in the front row in the brown jacket!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

I think I spotted you. Will say hello at the break. I’m in the front row in the brown jacket!

Wearing a carnation and a silly hat and reading The Times? ;)