Anthony Horowitz's Bond novel - Forever and a Day

Comments

SaintMark wrote: »
    One thing that PussyNoMore omitted to mention there is the obligatory historical inaccuracy in the chapter 'First Day'.
    For Horowitz to miss it is not particularly forgivable. For his editor to miss it is unforgivable.
    It is interesting that the faux pas in both books have been transport related !

Have any of you spotted the faux pas yet ?

Have any of you renowned Bondologists out there spotted the faux pas yet or do you need yet another clue ?

No I have not got a clue.

OK SaintMark for you and only you....

In the chapter 'First Day' it is said, "He still had the crumpled wreckage of a steel-grey Mark II Continental Bentley tucked away in a storage depot in East London"

First of all, the book is set in 1950 and Bentley did not produce the Continental until 1952.

Secondly and most important of all, up to and including Moonraker, Bond drove a 1930 4.5 litre Bentley Blower with an Amherst Villiers Supercharger.

Given the importance of Bond's cars in Bond lore and the number of people who read this thing before it went to press, this faux pas is particularly irksome.

PussyNoMore doesn't particularly blame Horowitz albeit it is his name on the cover. He more wonders where were the family and JC in all of this ? Certainly asleep at the Bentley Wheel.

Another issue worthy of comment is Bond's choice of cigarette 'du maurier'.
    Back in the day, 'du maurier' was a cork tipped cigarette very much marketed to and smoked by women. Bond, prior to Morlands and particularly as an ex-serviceman would have undoubtably smoked Players Navy Cut or similar.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes, well spotted Pussy. I think Bond didn't drive the Mark II Continental Bentley until Thunderball (1961), which is set in 1959.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Yes, well spotted Pussy. I think Bond didn't drive the Mark II Continental Bentley until Thunderball (1961), which is set in 1959.

Thank you monsieur Dragonpol.
    For a small fee, PussyNoMore is going to offer to proof read the next one in order to prevent any more of these howlers getting through.

Thank you monsieur Dragonpol.
    For a small fee, PussyNoMore is going to offer to proof read the next one in order to prevent any more of these howlers getting through.

I'd certainly give you a good reference for that. No better person, in fact. Such are the dangers of period set Bond novels.

I also recall something similar in one of the Steve Cole Young Bond books about an ambulance or something.
    Dear PussyNoMore thank you for the esplaination as a person not so much into cars I would always have missed that. I bow to your knowledge and kindness to explain such matters to us mere mortals.

As for the cigerattes I once more have to give kudos for noticing this. Horowitz should let you proofread the next time in order to stop such mistakes.

Frankly you impressed me.
    Dear PussyNoMore thank you for the esplaination as a person not so much into cars I would always have missed that. I bow to your knowledge and kindness to explain such matters to us mere mortals.

As for the cigerattes I once more have to give kudos for noticing this. Horowitz should let you proofread the next time in order to stop such mistakes.

Frankly you impressed me.

SaintMark, PussyNoMore is overwhelmed by your kind words.
    By virtue of this hallowed cyber hall, The Pussy is publicly notifying IFP that for £1000, a complete 'Sunspel' Ian Fleming wardrobe and a signed individual Bentley bound 007 numbered edition of every future continuation novel, he is prepared to proof read future editions and guarantee that no further faux pas enter Bond lore.
    Congratulations to Anthony Horowitz.
    Straight in at No.1 on 'Sunday Times' hardback best seller list.
    A huge bravo.
    Congratulations to Anthony Horowitz.
    Straight in at No.1 on 'Sunday Times' hardback best seller list.
    A huge bravo.

That must surely be a good sign for more Horowitz written continuation novels?
    And a good sign for keeping the continuation novels more of an ongoing thing. Say what you will about Benson, but I looked forward every year to a new Bond novel.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    JET007 wrote: »
    And a good sign for keeping the continuation novels more of an ongoing thing. Say what you will about Benson, but I looked forward every year to a new Bond novel.

Agreed! Nice to see Bond back on the best seller list. Anyone know if any of the other continuation novels ever made it to the bestseller list?
    From memory Colonel Sun by Robert Markham, Licence Renewd by John Gardner and Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks all made it into the top twenty but Pussy does’nt think that any made it to No.1
    Horowitz may be the only Bond author since Fleming to do this. (Tbc)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm currently in Nice, exploring Monaco/Monte Carlo and Cannes tomorrow, bought this book and naturally got my Omega PO with me. I just hope I find the time to read the thing out here.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I'm currently in Nice, exploring Monaco/Monte Carlo and Cannes tomorrow, bought this book and naturally got my Omega PO with me. I just hope I find the time to read the thing out here.

A perfect location to read FAAD but you’ll have to ditch the Omega and buy a Rolex to read this one !

I forget, who PO do you have? Enjoy your travels and the book!
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,280

Hope you take a few pictures from the locations and post them here on the forum! Enjoy the trip!
    Watch out with such a expensive watch they are always looking for theft. Enjoy the south of France a really beautiful place.
    20180610_144859.jpg

20180610_165740.jpg

20180610_165957.jpg

20180610_165957.jpg
    Watch out with such a expensive watch they are always looking for theft. Enjoy the south of France a really beautiful place.

Will do. Having a great time. It's raining at the moment unfortunately but things should get better later today.

Hope you take a few pictures from the locations and post them here on the forum! Enjoy the trip!

Cheers.

Master chronometer.

A perfect location to read FAAD but you’ll have to ditch the Omega and buy a Rolex to read this one !

Rolex, the thought had definitely occurred to me : )
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Lovely, @doubleoego. Enjoy!

Will do. Having a great time. It's raining at the moment unfortunately but things should get better later today.

Cheers.

Master chronometer.

Rolex, the thought had definitely occurred to me : )

Lovely photo but now is the time to upgrade to the Rolex !

Chevron wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is the Waterstones special edition of Forever and a Day with the Fleming treatment at the back? I think that this must be it, but I want to be sure before I buy it!

https://www.waterstones.com/book/forever-and-a-day/anthony-horowitz/9781785174438

Yes, the signed edition has the extra bits with Horowitz introducing the Fleming material plus the two Fleming pages. Also the page edges of the book are done in yellow.

I know this because I bought the Waterstones sedition today. After already getting the ordinary edition.

Incidently the signed edition had £4 off in the shop.

Just out of interest, where did you get it in Northern Ireland?

I bought the Special Edition online from Waterstones and it just arrived today.
    Got a note today that my signed copy is waiting at my local post office (or post in store, as we have here in Norway these days). Can't wait to get it!

Bit worried about the book getting injured, though. The local post in store isn't careful with the packages they receive.
    I know the worry. My flat's like a bear's cave, but when it comes to new first editions I'm examining them for dints and bumps. There's something wrong with me somewhere.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Doubleoego seems like the right setting, it certainly looks the part!

@Pussynomore on the cars: Bond's Bentley was 'battleship grey' iirc, everything else is as you say. To my mind 'battleship grey' is definately a different colour than 'steel grey'.
    @Doubleoego seems like the right setting, it certainly looks the part!

doubleoego have you managed to upgrade to Rolex yet ?

@Pussynomore on the cars: Bond's Bentley was 'battleship grey' iirc, everything else is as you say. To my mind 'battleship grey' is definately a different colour than 'steel grey'.

Commander, correct. The Pussy didn’t reference colour. Had he, it would of course been ‘battleship grey’.

On a general point, PussyNoMore is wondering why we haven’t more reviews?

• edited June 2018 Posts: 4,622
    Just ordered my hardcover from Blackwells UK via
    Amazon USA via link from Amazon Canada
    Got a real good price. $28.35 Cdn including shipping.
    I was going to order the special Waterstones copy that others have so kindly displayed here, but I figure I was in for well over $50.00, maybe $60.00 after currency exchange and very expensive shipping.

Blackwells at Oxford clearly has some affiliate deal with Amazon.
    I've got the last two Steve Cole Young Bonds from them, at good prices and with a surprise author autograph, so I am hoping this prestigious, authentic, English bookseller might have again, snagged some signed copies.

A1XYvq8IOfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edit: I am probably not getting the exclusive unseen Ian Fleming material with this edition above though. Correct?
    That Waterstones black sticker is exclusive to them it would very much seem.
    Finally got my copy today! Currently reading Dr. No, and wondering if I should jump straight to FAAD after finishing that one, or if I should save it until later this summer.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Mine is still in the 'hey guys can you get me one of those Waterstone's copy's' status (a friend of mine works in a bookstore. Will probably get it at the end of summer. I hope.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    From memory Colonel Sun by Robert Markham, Licence Renewd by John Gardner and Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks all made it into the top twenty but Pussy does’nt think that any made it to No.1
    Horowitz may be the only Bond author since Fleming to do this. (Tbc)

As always a wealth of information! Thanks, I hadn't realized that Devil May Care made it up the best sellers list.