The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

So I had to compare and I've popped in my white art cover Connery colection DVD.
    I'm comparing the Tiffany seduction scene, which is considerably brighter on the DVD.
    Bond doesn't wear his Rolex in bed with Tiffany.
    I think he wears his DR NO dress watch later in this film, though.
    I can see why many rank this one so low, and why it's often considered Connery's worst.
    I love it, though. The Las Vegas scenes are a timecapsule.
    The balloon barker is in a couple of great episodes of ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN. He's also in HIGH NOON and several noirs. Larry J Blake.
    Dr Metz is funny.
    Let's see how the silly moon buggy chase holds up to the fire truck chase as I'd watched AVTAK recently................
    The Mustang chase is better, but not exactly BULLITT.

Had this film reverted back to the 1:66 or 1:85 aspect ratio like the other Guy Hamilton films, would Binder have reused the old Bob Simmons gunbarrel or shot an updated version with Connery?
    Charles Gray used to be my least favorite Blofeld, but these days I really like his rapport with Connery. He's going up in my rankings.
    007 buried underground.....another moment I liked as a kid.
    I remember watching this on the ABC SUNDAY NIGHT MOVIE around January of 1984, and these scenes stood out to me.
    I still enjoy the Thumper and Bambi scene.
    Bond's getting his ass kicked.
    Willard Whyte thinks Bond's encounter with Thumper and Bambi is funny.
    Entertaining viewing of DAF.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Great comments as always @ToTheRight!
    DAF was always a disappointment to me, and in early days I only remembered it for the lift fight and car chase! It never bothered me when the camera suddenly verrs the other way to compensate for the car reappearing the wrong way out of the alley! Only now does it irritate me! Still cant believe that not one of the team involved thought to ask "Eh, lads. Are we sure the car is on these two wheels and not the others?!"
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The PTS is considered weak, but I find the mudbath section a lot of fun. Bond has some nice moves here, where he knocks one guard down with the other like bowling pins colliding - there's something aikido about it, and then dodging Blofeld's thrusting blade (name?) even if he could see that one coming a mile away.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 15,803
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS

Haven't screened this on my upgraded television yet. I initially popped in the earlier SE DVD, but ultimately decided to go for the Blu-ray.

I do prefer the early DVD's color timing, but this Blu-ray does looks sharp.
    This film has risen to second spot in my rankings.
    Upon the VHS release in March of 1988, I rewatched this Bond every 2 weeks until LTK came out.
    I don't think I'll do that with NTTD. I'm burned out on that one already. :(

Love the sniper scene. Dalton is great.
    I can envision Brosnan in all these scenes.
    I think Caroline Bliss is criminally underrated as Moneypenny. I quite like her.
    Bond is as much a fan of Barry Manilow as he was The Beatles.

I do wonder what type of music Bond might enjoy?
    I love the safehouse meeting bit. Bond thinks Koskov is full of it.
    Great skeptical reaction shots of Timothy.
    That safehouse appeared in arguably the greatest superhero movie ever made......

THE PUMA MAN.

I believe Donald Pleasence played the villain.
    Desmond is wonderful.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    A general question for the forum: Are we going to have a group "watch" of Dr. No on - or before - the 60th anniversary?
    I think Tim's one linery delivery isn't so bad.

This Bond film really does look good on Blu-ray.
    I imagine the 4K is astonishing.
    Mickey G enjoying the performance. Nodding his head to the music.
    I love the fairgrounds scene.
    WELL YOU'VE GOT ME, JAMES!
    The desert section is my favorite in this film.
    Yes. I love the 3rd act.
    I've been too hard on the Lowery color timing in the past.
    This looks superb.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    ToTheRight wrote: »

@ToTheRight A bit of THE THIRD MAN vibe there, which shouldn't be surprising given that John Glen worked on that film at the start of his career.
    Dwayne wrote: »

@ToTheRight A bit of THE THIRD MAN vibe there, which shouldn't be surprising given that John Glen worked on that film at the start of his career.

True. I should rewatch THE THIRD MAN again soon. Great noir, @Dwayne.
    Greating viewing of TLD. At the moment holding firm in 2nd place in my rankings.
    Sadly, though I feel later films may take a dive when I do my bi-weekly rankings again.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    A general question for the forum: Are we going to have a group "watch" of Dr. No on - or before - the 60th anniversary?

I'd love to!
    I can envision Brosnan in all these scenes.
    I think Caroline Bliss is criminally underrated as Moneypenny. I quite like her.
    Bond is as much a fan of Barry Manilow as he was The Beatles.

I do wonder what type of music Bond might enjoy?

I disagree vehemently about your first line!
    But concur about your second!