The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    This film truly is great Spy fiction.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    There are suspicious goings on at Shrublands.
    Bond totally aware of his surroundings...

The fact Bond does not see through Logan in NTTD is an issue.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,574
    'Could it be the front doorbell' 😂
    The underwater photography is the best in the series.
    I absolutely love the conference scene and Bond being late. The whole scenes creates gravatas.
    Amazing set.
    'Code name: Thunderball'
    Oh my lord Domino
    Bond and Domino scenes my favourite of the series.
    When Domino mentions here brother, Connerys reaction is subtle though very effective.
    It really does not get better than this.
    This scene is phenomenal the music the subtly, Bond's directness, Domino totally on Bond's wave length immediately. Feels totally natural no pretention or forced set up.
    Domino is amazing my favourite Bond girl.

The greatest title track that never was.
    Loved the comments on TB, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns . That film has always been towards the top for me. Love Domino as well. Great Bond girl who doesn't get as much attention, IMO.
    Thank you @ToTheRight one of my favourites, I think Domino and Tatiana are the best Bond girls on the series.
    Thank you @ToTheRight one of my favourites, I think Domino and Tatiana are the best Bond girls on the series.

They're both among my favorites.
    So my Dad gave me a couple new speakers for Christmas that I've connected to my television. Gives my set up a fuller sound.
    That with my new Connery Collection DVD sets, it's time to pop in an epic Bond................

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE.

Not sure if Lowery changed the picture for the Blu-ray after the 2006 restoration, so I'll see how this looks.

Playing the gunbarrel twice: once in DTS and once in mono.

This does look different than the Blu-ray. Referring to the color timing. A bit more magenta here on the astronauts.
    If it weren't for John Barry's wonderful music I'd probably rank the PTS rather low.
    Great music, though
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 15,870
    The legendary Shane Rimmer.

I saw a 35mm print of this Bond about 8 years ago. It was pretty scratchy, but the colors were extremely rich. The skin tones weren't as magenta.

We've HAAAAAD some interesting times together, Ling. I'll be sorry to go.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 15,870
    Magnificent titles.
    This is another Bond film I liked watching shortly after Christmas when I was a kid.
    A family friend gave had given me the vinyl version of the soundtrack album for Christmas when I was twelve. I loved it. I remember the record itself being rather thin. I later bought the earlier mono release and that vinyl was much thicker.
    That gift made me want to watch my crummy recorded of of television VHS copy of the film. YOLT had aired earlier in the autumn and I taped it off the ABC SUNDAY NIGHT MOVIE.
    That particular airing was actually reasonably intact. Only a few shots were trimmed as I recall. However, the print was abysmal with incredibly faded colors.
    I watched that tape for about two years until I bought the new MGM/US Home Video release.
    Bernard Lee looks good. In fact I think after this film he ages drastically.
    I LOVE YOU.
    Yeah, Lowery tweaked the sound on the 5.1 audio track. The wonderful guitar hook that plays as Aki drives Bond to Henderson's is muffled. The mono version it's loud and clear.
    It's almost like Lowery gave the middle finger to Norman Wanstall when they re-mixed this version.
    That's kind of why I often go with the mono track when watching a Connery Bond.
    I love the fight in Ostato's office.
    The buckle on Bond's trench coat belt is on the right side. I always keep the buckle on the left. Also that trench coat belt is quite short.

Close up of Bond's hands as he uses his combination cracker to open Ostato's safe.

I imagine that's probably Connery's actual hands there. Craig's hands look like Bond chews on his nails, and Roger Moore's looks like he went to a manicure,
    Michael G Wilson apparently doubled for Brosnan's hand close ups.
    The civilized bath sequence. I love this scene.
    The 1992 VHS version added odd subtitles to the Bond films that were NEVER on release prints.
    On that VHS tape, Tiger says: "Have you forgotten about your Master?" to one the the girls as he claps his hands for her to come scrub him down.
    Bond looks bored in the cab on the way to his meeting with Ostato, and bored again in the elevator. Perhaps Mr. Fisher hates going to meetings?
    Bond's suit is very Fleming in these scenes. Navy blue and single breasted. Connery looks great here and even his toupee allows for the occasional lock of hair to fall above his eyebrow in some shots.