The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

"Me, too!"

With all the talk regarding the yellow hues in SP, I remember the PTS for this film was deliberately color timed grayish to evoke a certain atmosphere and feel for this sequence. I think it quite works here.

Zao's hairstyle reminds me a bit of Elvis in some of his '60's era films.

Bond in peril, escapes as Pierce injures his knee.

Col Moon isn't a bad villain, really, and Zao is a pretty classic henchman.
    ' Saved by the bell!"
    I cant hear that line without remember the sitcom of the same name.

Here we go.........the titles

007 tortured. Danny Kleinman returns.

Madonna.

I remember hoping her song would be something that's not obviously trying to sound Bondian.............and that's what we got.

Great intro, though.

I'm kind of jamming to this. Really liking the titles this time.
    Pierce is seriously being beaten here.

I love the beard and long hair.

Pierce is younger here than Craig will be in NTTD.

Craig has doubled the timespan in which Pierce was Bond and has only one additional film to show for it.
    Gustav Graves entrance. Mirror image of Bond type villain.
    Toby Stephens.
    He was great in AND THEN THERE WERE NONE with Aidan Turner.

The Blades sequence.
    I love the swordfight. Great stuff here.
    Bond takes a swim under the ice. Love that bit.
    Jinx in peril reminds me a bit of the Adam West Batman cliff changer endings.

The fight with Mr Kil is entertaining enough, but Jinx's dialogue seems geared towards elementary school kids.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 12,270
    An awesome watch of DN helped make up for a rough last few days. Will be posting longer thoughts on the Bondathon thread.
    I ended up too tired to continue commenting on DAD.
    It's fun, but probably still my least favorite film in the series.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    It's been WEEKS since I last watched a Bond film- not counting the '54 CR.
    Been ages since I posted here as it's been a rough start to 2020 for me.

Just had an ice storm last night; everything frozen over, yet I managed to chip my way into my vehicle and drive home this morning. All night as I watched the freezing rain ice my town over I kept feeling there is but ONE movie appropriate for the occasion...............

DIE ANOTHER DAY

Controversial opinion here: I love the gunbarrel. Arnold's rendition of the Bond theme here gets me going to the point I overlook the bullet.

Brosnan as his most dashing. He really looks great in the PTS.
    I firmly maintain the opinion Pierce had some of the coolest clothes in the series.

Good lord! Where on earth do you live if you get that kind of weather?!!!

Just had an ice storm last night; everything frozen over, yet I managed to chip my way into my vehicle and drive home this morning. All night as I watched the freezing rain ice my town over I kept feeling there is but ONE movie appropriate for the occasion...............

DIE ANOTHER DAY

Controversial opinion here: I love the gunbarrel. Arnold's rendition of the Bond theme here gets me going to the point I overlook the bullet.

I firmly maintain the opinion Pierce had some of the coolest clothes in the series.

New York State. The ice storm wasn't as bad as it could have been. But I got a nice work out chipping ice off my entire car. Then it snowed a bit............and I had to do it again.

DIE ANOTHER DAY

New York State. The ice storm wasn't as bad as it could have been. But I got a nice work out chipping ice off my entire car. Then it snowed a bit............and I had to do it again.

Nothing like that in England thankfully!
    Just nonstop rain at the moment ☔
    Time for one of my favorite Bond movies............

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME

Well let me try and enlarge your vocabulary.

Reminder to self: my cheap Casio that kind of looks like Roger's watch here needs a new battery.

Great score............BOND 77 all the way!

and Bond falls and falls...........................
    Amazing titles. Great Carly Simon song.

I love the segue to Gogol pacing. The next film would segue to the Minister and Q pacing I believe.

Barbara Bach in uniform.
    I love the set for Gogol's office.

Michael Billington was great. He was in a great episode of PHILIP MARLOWE.

Titles by Maurice Binder.

Great mission briefing scene without M. Nice to mix things up a bit.

Roger's hair looks real good here. Similar to his LALD look, but fuller and blocked in the back. The sideburns are longer as well. That's it. I'm growing mine back out.

Q has a little speech here in which I'm sure Roger padding out the dialogue for him.
    Edward de Souza is great. KISS OF THE VAMPIRE

Here we go. The Roger in Egypt attire. I love the beige/tan outfit here.

Years ago in theatre training, our drama professor gave us a lesson on the stage kiss. It's a specific technique that once you know it, it ruins the illusion for you when watching movie kiss scenes. She needed a volunteer to demonstrate on. before I could suavely raise my hand, another student beat me to it.

I was going go into it with the line:

"I had lunch, but I seemed to have missed dessert."

Oh well. It would have been funny.

Roger seems to have had his own technique with the stage/film kiss.
    I love the Blu-ray for this one. Looks damn good.

I posted on my FB page :watching THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. A friend just made some negative comments on Barbara Bach. Does that deserve and un-friending?

Max Kalba is great.
    Would you like me to drive?

Great Roger facial expression.
    Great use of the title song as Bond and Anya romance on the Nile.
    And 007 is out for the count.
    Bond must once again walk miles and miles in the desert wearing his dress shoes.
    Jaws attacks Anya on the train. Great sequence. Roger's outfit here perfectly compliments the design of the train compartment.
    Ah, my all time favorite Valerie Leon. ............and Caroline Munro!!

I love this Bond film.

Ride to Atlantis. I love this bit as well as the score here.
    Stromberg tests Bond's expertise. Roger has a great reaction there as he must scan his brain for the answer.
    Here we go....the Lotus/Naomi chase sequence.
    I never tire of this film. I should have watched this film as my first Bond of the year instead of DIE ANOTHER DAY.
    The Roger Nod!!!!!

I love that bit with Naomi.

If I ever start a band I'm calling it THE ROGER NOD.
    Continuity error as Bond lights Anya's cigarette. Roger's hair changes length between shots.
    I always say this whenever I watch this one: the Supertanker is my favorite Ken Adam set. As iconic as the volcano was, I really like the Supertanker.
    Bond opens a brand new can of whoop a$$ and car jacks the monorail.
    Roger is tough here. I remember in 3rd grade re-watching this Bond on the ABC SUNDAY NIGHT MOVIE. At the time I thought this entire section of the film dragged on a bit and was a little dull. I love it now.
    I'd love to see a climactic battle set in the villains lair in a future Bond film. This is great. Same with YOLT, and MR.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 15,818
    Anya remembers her vow of vengeance as Jaws swims across the sea.

Odd cracking sound in Roger's voice when he says "In my country, Major, the condemned man in usually allowed a final request.

Anya is in my top 5 Bond girls of all time.

Controversial opinion: I love the chorus rendition of Nobody Does it Better. Whenever I find myself singing the song to myself I do that version. Sounds like a Broadway music show-tune. Pretty damn funny, IMO.

Damn that was a great viewing of SPY.

I'm still a little pi$$ed my "friend" on Facebook felt inclined to diss on Barbara Bach. I had to straighten him out............and he hasn't commented back.

I guess its different say, here on a Bond forum to discuss the acting merits of various Bond girls or the musical talents of newly assigned composers.

I'd love to see a climactic battle set in the villains lair in a future Bond film. This is great. Same with YOLT, and MR.

A big assault on the villains lair is long overdue...
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 15,818
    LICENCE TO KILL

Time for some Bond. Timmy D style Bond.

Gunbarrel- one of my favorites. I do love Michael Kamen's Bond theme here.
    Interesting on many of the Bond music threads regarding NTTD the amount of discussion devoted to whether the main theme will be interwoven into the score, and how much/

I believe LTK is the first Bond film NOT to have the main theme used in an instrumental version within the film. One of my pet peeves regarding the score at the time. Aside from that, there was much I loved about the score that wasn't on the soundtrack album.

Bond leaps from the helicopter to the ground (Simon Crane perhaps?) while Timmy D is sitting with Joel Siegel being interviewed for a GOOD MORNING AMERICA segment.
    I used to have that interview on tape. It was quite interesting. Tim looked good.
    Bond lowered onto the plane is great, IMO. I do miss the aerial stunt work as seen in the Glen era. This film is packed with amazing stunts.
    Bond and Felix conveniently land at the church.

I have always loved the song here. I remember seeing Gladys Knight perform a concert and as she was introduced to the stage the band played the opening chords of LTK. I was thrilled..........but she didn't sing the Bond tune and segued immediately into "Midnight Train to Georgia" . The performance as a montage of bits and pieces of her hits. Oh well.

The wedding party stuff is fun and light hearted here, with a foreboding sense of doom. "She must be ready to kill me"
    Della and Felix are about to enjoy some wedding night antics when the mood is interrupted by Perez and the legendary Dario.
    Anthony Zerbe is a legend. So great in FAREWELL MY LOVELY. I first saw that film a few months after LTK was out. Got me hooked on Mitchum.

The Leiter torture seemed pretty intense in the cinema. I must say that David Hedison really sells this moment.
    Lately I've been reading what seems to be a revisionist desire that John Terry should have returned for this film. Hmm.
    Had he played Felix here, I think I'd find this scene unintentionally funny the way I find Mel Gibson's torture in LETHAL WEAPON hilarious.
    Bond visiting Felix in the hospital .

These brief scenes are cut in such a way the pacing of the film flows nicely, but it does look like practical locations were used without much thought as to their appearance. The hospital room for instance looks rather flat. If it was a set it seems a bit cheap.

I love the Krest warehouse set, though. Wonderful.

The Blu-ray is a very polished version of this film. The cinematic prints were grainy and uneven in look. For instance the reaction shot of Sharkey looking at the suitcase seemed to be of a different film stock from the rest of the scene.
    Dirty Love!

I love seeing Bond in a dive bar. One of my favorite scenes in the film.

Road House.