The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Birdleson wrote: »
    They didn't always remove the gypsy camp. I think it was only one or two airings.

Yes. Late '80's airings as I recall. They fit the early films into 2 hour time slots.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Dwayne wrote: »
    My first Bond movies were watching ABC's Sunday Night Movie in the 1970s.

The ABC airings were an event. My folks let me stay up every time to watch them.

Same here! They would play different ones 2-4 times a year.

In addition to OHMSS, ABC really butchered the Connery Bonds. Removing the gunbarrel and PTS to GF, the entire gypsy camp section of FRWL............... words fail me. Still great fun to watch.

It's great seeing old recordings of those events to experience how the general masses saw Bond back then. Home video not being in existence yet, a different era. I collect some of the older media formats for Bond distributions. I have some of the first Laserdiscs that were released in Japan in the early 80s. Comparing the quality to then and now is just incredible.
    My first Bond movies were watching ABC's Sunday Night Movie in the 1970s.

The ABC airings were an event. My folks let me stay up every time to watch them.

Same here! They would play different ones 2-4 times a year.

In addition to OHMSS, ABC really butchered the Connery Bonds. Removing the gunbarrel and PTS to GF, the entire gypsy camp section of FRWL............... words fail me. Still great fun to watch.

It's great seeing old recordings of those events to experience how the general masses saw Bond back then. Home video not being in existence yet, a different era. I collect some of the older media formats for Bond distributions. I have some of the first Laserdiscs that were released in Japan in the early 80s. Comparing the quality to then and now is just incredible.

I have a few Bonds on VHS. Always been fascinated by the different transfers. I wish I had kept my old tapings of the ABC airings, though.
    Bond is sneaking all over this mountain and undercover and hapless Campbell can't go 2 feet without getting yelled at by one of Blofeld's men.

I have a few Bonds on VHS. Always been fascinated by the different transfers. I wish I had kept my old tapings of the ABC airings, though.

Something you don't think of keeping as a time capsule of a bygone era, but very few of us kept recordings like those once we were able to obtain the home video.

Campbell, you're really bad at this.
    Campbell is funny. Whenever I'd watch this film with a friend he'd compare Campbell's hairstyle to WIlliam Katt.
    Again, I'm not a big smoker, but when I do, I hold my stick like Telly Savalas.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Several Hammer beauties here: Jenny Hanley, Anouska Hempel, Lumley, Ege

yes. During the 1960's and 1970's there was a lot of overlap. Even dating back to Martine Beswicke and Eunice Gayson.
    Bond in a cardigan. Here we go.................the great Blofeld scene.
    I love him decorating the tree.
    Kojack...I mean Telly Savalas is great here.
    I always like Bond in a cardigan - QoS when he visits Mathis is my favorite.

I don't think I ever really thought anything of Blofeld playing with the tinsel, but now I don't think I'll be able to unnotice his decorating @ToTheRight
    I always thought Veronica Carlson could have been a Bond girl. Of course, there's Valerie Leon. And Ingrid Pitt voiced the IN, OUT in Octopussy.
    Savalas is my favorite Blofeld.
    BTW Nicollette Sheridan (“Desperate Housewives”) is the daughter of Sally Sheridan (i.e., “The American” girl).
    BTW Nicollette Sheridan (“Desperate Housewives”) is the daughter of Sally Sheridan (i.e., “The American” girl).

Never knew that.

Agreed! Blofeld rankings?

1.) Savalas
    2.) Dawson (voice)
    3.) Pleasance
    4.) Gray
    5.) Waltz
    6.) Bald Man in Wheelchair
    Anyone know how christmas trees are grown?

Agreed! Blofeld rankings?

1.) Savalas
    2.) Dawson (voice)
    3.) Pleasance
    4.) Gray
    5.) Waltz
    6.) Bald Man in Wheelchair

Agreed.
    1. Savalas
    2. Dawson
    3. Pleasence
    4. Von Sydow
    5. Gray
    6. Wheelchair
    7. Waltz
    This section with the cable car reminds me of WHERE EAGLES DARE.
    I love scenes like this
    And as James Bond Radio refers to it, here is the best "sneaky bond" of the series.

Maybe Nina has the answer!

La la la la la la laaaaaaa

Maybe Nina has the answer!

My wife, who puts up with my Bond obsession, and partakes in watching with me and indulging in my collection of memorabilia puts up with a lot... but she can NOT stand this song. She loves Christmas music too and when I play this, she always asks what awful song this is.
    Birdleson wrote: »

I've never seen that before, will have to check out later. The one comment on the video is scary... if George played Bond until the same age as Roger, he would have been Bond through Goldeneye.
    Anybody else envisioning Connery (1968/1969) in a tight blue jump suit skiing down a mountain?
    I don’t.
    Anybody else envisioning Connery (1968/1969) in a tight blue jump suit skiing down a mountain?
    I don’t.

No way. I also don't buy Connery's bond at this point falling in love. I think the biggest misconception is "OHMSS would be the best Bond ever if Connery was in it". Maybe if it was a young, fresh, unknown Connery at age 30, but no way I am buying him as this type of Bond after the journey his character had taken in the first 5 films.
    I don’t.

I think the later era Connery would have fit the weariness of Fleming's Bond at this point. He might have gotten into some sort of shape for this film.

Or perhaps he would have been fitted with a ski suit closer to Roger's in FYEO?
    I don’t.

No way. I also don't buy Connery's bond at this point falling in love. I think the biggest misconception is "OHMSS would be the best Bond ever if Connery was in it". Maybe if it was a young, fresh, unknown Connery at age 30, but no way I am buying him as this type of Bond after the journey his character had taken in the first 5 films.

Exactly. Connery in 1963-1965 - yes. But at this stage..no.
    Some folks complain about Laz looking all scared when he bumps into the guy in the polar Bear outfit. But I think it makes his relief at seeing Tracy all the more real.

OMG! I just love Diana Rigg here.