The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    300 million for that brittle plastic satellite :))
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Bond hacking the safe scene, great sequence
    Wai lin walking down the walls is totally pointless
    Brosnan's aloofness is great
    Bond kissing corpse Paris really, that whole relationship is forced.
    Love Bond's reaction when the tires re pressurize, Arnold's score makes this scene
    edited June 2019 Posts: 23,267
    Great to see Wade again though fleeting, the Halo jump is impressive for the time
    Brosnan's underwater double is poor
    The underwater sequence in NSNA is better than this...
    Banter between Bond and Wai Lin again awkward, this films underlining issue is most of the film is staged and forced, nothing really feels natural or organic
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited June 2019 Posts: 6,716
    M and Co work effectively as a surrogate audience, it really helps to build up the tension and appreciation of what Bond is doing.
    Indeed. It adds significantly to the effectiveness of the scene. IIRC, it's not something that's been repeated much, either. Maybe in the CR poisoning scene.

I love that :)) It looks like a piece of cardboard, which it probably was!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    M and Co work effectively as a surrogate audience, it really helps to build up the tension and appreciation of what Bond is doing.
    Indeed. It adds significantly to the effectiveness of the scene. IIRC, it's not something that's been repeated much, either. Maybe in the CR poisoning scene.

I love that :)) It looks like a piece of cardboard, which it probably was!

That satellite is not going to withstand much pressure is space :))

The opening sequence is effective, one of my favourite scene of the film, Brosnan films often start well
    I hate movies that have people handcuffed together
    TND is mediocre in the pantheon, still around bottom five Bond films, DAD is arguably more entertaining
    Wai Lin randomly attacked to showcase Michelle Yeoh skills
    Bond forgets his knowledge of languages
    The final act is going to be a chore
    The stealth boat assault looks cheap
    Wai Lin just rip out Carvers throat, Carvers slur is awful
    'What ever the hell that thing is sink it' read my mind
    AVTAK is a Masterpiece compared to this pile of...
    TND is really pushing for worst Bond movie, the fight with Stamper is cringe worthy
    Well I am glad that is over, GE next which I am looking forward to...
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 15,801
    Enjoyed your write up of TND, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. I watched that one recently, and although I had fun with it, it barely rose from the bottom section of my rankings. The Stamper fight really seals the deal for me. I always felt that scene, especially the dialogue, seemed more appropriate for any other typical 90's era action film. Bond is better than that.

Okay, here we go.

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

Watching it in the original mono, because IMO the changing of the cat's meow in the PTS is like Lucas tampering with STAR WARS.

Love the gunbarrel. Anytime I hum a gunbarrel theme to myself it's almost always this one.
    This PTS really moves. Connery's sprots jacket and black polo is a great look, IMO. I should get a long sleeved black polo shirt.
    The wonderful Terence Mountain. I really like Charles Gray's Blofeld.

Titles- one of my favorites in the series. Great song as well.
    Bond rolls his eyes and spaces out as M is lecturing him on diamonds. Great bit.
    "Refreshing to hear there's ONE subject you're not an expert on."
    Connery's reaction is priceless. Bond is amused and appreciates M's wit at Bond's expense.

Every time I watch this I'm reminded of my old barber. Dr Tynan is a dead ringer for him. Henry Rowland. I just now discovered Dr Tynan was played by Henry Rowland. For some reason I thought it was David de Keyser. He was Blofeld's plastic surgeon. And I call myself a Bond fan.

I love the brief Moneypenny scene here. IMO, there is more depth, wit, character and rapport in this tiny scene with Connery and Maxwell, than in all of the Brosnan Moneypenny scenes. Same with Harris to a degree, though I do like her Moneypenny.
    Bond and Q are finally getting along, then Bond hangs up on him. Wonderful.
    The Franks fight scene.One of my favorites in the series. Not as tough as the Grant fight or stairwell scene, but fun.
    Bond seems to be wearing his Gruen Precision 510. Too bad we never really get a good look at that watch. I always thought it looked like a standard dress watch. Gold with a black leather strap. Reminds me of George Reeves' Clark Kent watch.
    Now I'm on the Felix scene. Felix looks to be wearing a Gruen Precision 510 as well.
    Whatever happened to that James Bond Watches website?

Shady Tree has been doing the same act since 1931.
    When he started, audiences would have gone to see James Cagney in THE PUBLIC ENEMY, Lugosi in DRACULA, Karloff in FRANKENSTEIN, and CITY LIGHTS with Chaplin.
    Bond climbs the Whyte House. I always liked this section. Never been to Vegas, but I imagine the skyline now to be more massive.
    Bond is out long enough for an entire construction crew to bury him in the desert.
    I remember in 3rd grade as I was just getting into Bond, DAF being one of the films I wanted to see most. I had caught an ABC airing a couple years before but didn't get to see the whole thing. I believe it was January of '84 ABC played it again. I thought it was interesting Bond was put into claustrophobic situations: the coffin, buried in the desert. My folks used to let me stay up late the Sunday nights the Bonds aired. A couple years later we finally got a VHS player and DAF would be the first Bond I'd record.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Henry Rowland. I just now discovered Dr Tynan was played by Henry Rowland. For some reason I thought it was David de Keyser. He was Blofeld's plastic surgeon. And I call myself a Bond fan.

I made the same mistake and realized it only a couple of years ago.