The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I've always felt that Trevalyn went out pretty horrifically.

Same for Elliot Carver. Mangled by his own drill!
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've always felt that Trevalyn went out pretty horrifically.

Same for Elliot Carver. Mangled by his own drill!

Yeah those are also up there.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What about Stromberg?
    I think Zorin's death would be horrifying if it weren't so funny. He even laughed before he plummeted to his demise.

Speaking of Zorin, I think I'll pop in

A VIEW TO A KILL

Disclaimer....Zorin isn't a real person.

GUN BARREL!!!!

Great music here.
    Quite possibly my favorite opening shot the circle opens to.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I think Zorin's death would be horrifying if it weren't so funny. He even laughed before he plummeted to his demise.

A VIEW TO A KILL

GUN BARREL!!!!

Great music here.

He was psychotic from Nazi breeding...didnt know fear.
    When I saw this in the cinema as a little kid, I was grinning ear to ear as we see Roger.

It was like seeing an old friend or relative.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 684
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Bond knows the pressure and the odds ,how many American lives can be wiped out..it comes back to the 'last mission' theory i have created in my mind,as compared to say GF and Fort Knox,which was flippant with American troops lives,and doesnt reflect Bond.

He is on his own...Chuck Lee was killed as was Tibbett....the opponents are ruthless to cut off Bond from MI6/CIA,if their own ways cant kill him yet,as the film goes.
    Stacey is his only witness to it all.

The mine massacre proves what Bond has to deal with,in his weakest hour due to age.

AVTAK is seriously under-rated.
    I think so too, @barryt007. AVTAK was my favorite Bond film for a while when I was in my early teens. I'm rewatching all the films now, and one of my goals is to try and see them as near I can with fresh eyes. I think I somewhat managed to with AVTAK. There's something about it. The best Bond film to come out of the 80s, I think. OP is more fun perhaps, and FYEO has more energy behind the filmmaking, but AVTAK is Glen's best finished product. Glen plays the thing mostly straight, and as a result the film comes across as less affected than usual.

Also, I love the 'final mission' mindset you've come up with, and endorse it 100%.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Connery and Andress are both beyond superb in DN, and they're great together. My favorite Bond performance and my favorite Bond Girl.
    I've seen several interviews (at least two) with an older Connery where Ursula is mentioned and his eyes just seem to light up at her mention. They definitely had a great chemistry on screen.

A VIEW TO A KILL

GUN BARREL!!!!

Great music here.

He was psychotic from Nazi breeding...didnt know fear.

I wish I could do a decent Walken impression. I'd be mimicking his Zorin laugh and facial expressions constantly. I do a better Andy Robinson.
    As I was posting I missed the California Girls part.
    Okay by me.
    Strog wrote: »
    Bond knows the pressure and the odds ,how many American lives can be wiped out..it comes back to the 'last mission' theory i have created in my mind,as compared to say GF and Fort Knox,which was flippant with American troops lives,and doesnt reflect Bond.

He is on his own...Chuck Lee was killed as was Tibbett....the opponents are ruthless to cut off Bond from MI6/CIA,if their own ways cant kill him yet,as the film goes.

The mine massacre proves what Bond has to deal with,in his weakest hour due to age.

I think so too, @barryt007. AVTAK was my favorite Bond film for a while when I was in my early teens. I'm rewatching all the films now, and one of my goals is to try and see them as near I can with fresh eyes. I think I somewhat managed to with AVTAK. There's something about it. The best Bond film to come out of the 80s, I think. OP is more fun perhaps, and FYEO has more energy behind the filmmaking, but AVTAK is Glen's best finished product. Glen plays the thing mostly straight, and as a result the film comes across as less affected than usual.

Also, I love the 'final mission' mindset you've come up with, and endorse it 100%.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Connery and Andress are both beyond superb in DN, and they're great together. My favorite Bond performance and my favorite Bond Girl.
    I've seen several interviews (at least two) with an older Connery where Ursula is mentioned and his eyes just seem to light up at her mention. They definitely had a great chemistry on screen.

When I was a kid, just about everyone I knew labeled AVTAK as their favorite.
    Call me James. Five days to Alaskaaaaah

Thanks,it just makes AVTAK so much more watchable and important, as a Bond on the verge of retirement ,finds himself,eventually,all alone ,to save Silicon Valley and stop a very strong set of villains.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Bond's confidence starts so high at the start of AVTAK and,by the end,he is fighting for his life in a fight with a nazi bred,KGB trained psychotic on the Golden Gate Bridge who has a fire axe ....see it as a final Bond mission and this film will fly up your rankings ..not a last Craig film.

THIS is Bond's last mission.
    Really? That's interesting. I'd expect kids in general to go for one of the flashier ones.
    Thanks,it just makes AVTAK so much more watchable and important, as a Bond on the verge of retirement ,finds himself,eventually,all alone ,to save Silicon Valley and stop a very strong set of villains.
    Emphasized certainly by that iconic shot of him hanging from the rope as Zorin's blimp drifts towards the Golden Gate, the mission 'hanging by a thread' as it were.
    Really? That's interesting. I'd expect kids in general to go for one of the flashier ones.
    Emphasized certainly by that iconic shot of him hanging from the rope as Zorin's blimp drifts towards the Golden Gate, the mission 'hanging by a thread' as it were.

Perfect pick up on that @Strog ....!!

Even the music as he is hanging there and eventually is thrown against the bridge is a defeated tone to me.
    OOOOHHHWWWW!
    I completely see Bond as being near retirement in this one. Roger is not playing a 35 year old.
    Follow that parachute!
    I love Patrick Macnee.
    I often wear a tweed sports jacket over dark trousers like Roger here. Note to self- to find a gray one. Mine are all brown.
    I should find some episodes of The Avengers. I haven't watched it in 20 years.
    Jenny Flex.
    I'm an early riser myself.
    Bond's confidence starts so high at the start of AVTAK and,by the end,he is fighting for his life in a fight with a nazi bred,KGB trained psychotic on the Golden Gate Bridge who has a fire axe ....see it as a final Bond mission and this film will fly up your rankings ..not a last Craig film.

THIS is Bond's last mission.

Well said. AVTAK gets more fun with each viewing for me. Bond struggles in this one, especially during the City Hall sequence.
    I miss John Barry..................I post that comment every time I watch AVTAK.
    The Roger nod.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 684

Even the music as he is hanging there and eventually is thrown against the bridge is a defeated tone to me.
    Yes, I agree. Barry's music is phenomenal throughout, and the particular cue playing in that scene sounds very fateful.
    Bond struggles in this one, especially during the City Hall sequence.
    I was just going to comment on Bond's struggles in this one, further enhancing @barryt007's point about Bond's last mission. You really feel his age. They don't run away from it or try to disguise it. Think about him missing a ladder rung on the fire truck, and then breaking a ladder rung trying to climb out of the mine shaft. Think about how ladders are always spoken of in relation to success. Missing or, worse, breaking a rung is kind of symbolic of failure.

Yes, I agree. Barry's music is phenomenal throughout, and the particular cue playing in that scene sounds very fateful.
    I was just going to comment on Bond's struggles in this one, further enhancing @barryt007's point about Bond's last mission. You really feel his age. They don't run away from it or try to disguise it. Think about him missing a ladder rung on the fire truck, and then breaking a ladder rung trying to climb out of the mine shaft. Think about how ladders are always spoken of in relation to success. Missing or, worse, breaking a rung is kind of symbolic of failure.

Both excellent points...i think more members need to know these observations...a new thread ?

Both excellent points...i think more members need to know these observations...a new thread ?

Sounds a very good idea.