The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,394
    TSWLM it occurred to me watching Batman Begins on 4K that the majority of Bond films will blow our minds in 4K when released, I think this will be one of them.

As good as this film looks it meanders in the early Egypt scenes.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Valley of the Kings mat paintings look more obvious in Bluray though it's a great scene very atmospheric love the score.
    Barbara Bach is stunning

Love the whole build up of Bond first encountering Triple X, one of the best scenes in the film.
    It's probably my generation though there is a fondness to Sir Roger I just don't have for any other actor or famous person. Edited: And Bill Shatner though he is on another planet :))
    So many great location shoots in this film
    Sir Roger is a GOD
    This is not my favourite Roger Moore Bond film though he arguably look his best as Bond in this...

Egyptian Builders
    The Lawerence of Arabia theme works well, one of the few times an unoriginal theme works in a Bond movie.
    Sir Roger love scenes :))
    Atlantis has Brown and Orange interior colours as drab as you can get, though most decor and upholstery in the 70's looked like that.
    The Lotus/Helicopter/Submersible sequence is phenomenal
    There are moments and scenes in Bond movies that are perfection, the Lotus scene is one of them.
    There are scenes in this film that arguably Sir Roger is at his leanest as Bond.
    Stromberg's fleets detail looks impressive upscaled, the model work is top tier.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    There are moments and scenes in Bond movies that are perfection, the Lotus scene is one of them.
    Agreed. Brilliant from start to finish and it holds up wonderfully even today.

There are certain types of Bond films and this is imho the best of that OTT epic style. For me, it's textbook perfection.
    bondjames wrote: »

There are certain types of Bond films and this is imho the best of that OTT epic style. For me, it's textbook perfection.

I rewound the Lotus sequence five times, I always do lol everything about that scene from leaving Atlantis to the last Stromberg submersible sub being defeated is flawless.

I rewound the Lotus sequence five times, I always do lol everything about that scene from leaving Atlantis to the last Stromberg submersible sub being defeated is flawless.
    I agree. It's quite amazing to think this was made in 1977. I really enjoy the score as well, particularly during the underwater bits.

I love everything about Egypt also, and wish it were longer. Heck, I almost wish the whole film was in Egypt because those sequences are just so cool.

I agree. It's quite amazing to think this was made in 1977. I really enjoy the score as well, particularly during the underwater bits.

I love everything about Egypt also, and wish it were longer. Heck, I almost wish the whole film was in Egypt because those sequences are just so cool.

I have noticed the score has its detractors, personally it has some of the very best none Barry themes. I am a Ken Adam disciple and his production design is top notch though some interiars are dated. The Lotus transcends time with that design.

I have noticed the score has its detractors, personally it has some of the very best none Barry themes. I am a Ken Adam disciple and his production design is top notch though some interiars are dated. The Lotus transcends time with that design.
    Hamlisch's score is very suspenseful, and that's what I like the most about it. Distinctive and suspenseful.

To a degree I'm glad that the Lotus has remained a Roger Moore Bond car. I actually prefer it to the DB5, which has been played out imho. I realize I'm in the minority however.

I agree that it's a real classic. I always find myself staring at it intently when it first shows up in Sardinia driven by Q. It's the sleekest thing I've seen this side of the original Countach (without spoiler).
    Back in the day when tapes existed in the 80's I listened to Bond77 literally every day as a kid.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSufDr5SKYj-RJp0Te9q24AbHAkC_jo_ASeWzqFHUn_ipvzipQt

Hamlisch's score is very suspenseful, and that's what I like the most about it. Distinctive and suspenseful.

To a degree I'm glad that the Lotus has remained a Roger Moore Bond car. I actually prefer it to the DB5, which has been played out imho. I realize I'm in the minority however.

I agree that it's a real classic. I always find myself staring at it intently when it first shows up in Sardinia driven by Q. It's the sleekest thing I've seen this side of the original Countach (without spoiler).

The Lotus is sleek arguably a perfect design, OHMSS DBS is my favourite Bond car though Lotus Espirit is top 3.

An expanded score of TSWLM is needed not sure if one exists.
    I agree on all your points @Fire_and_Ice_Returns . I think Bond 77 sounds incredibly cool even now (very Bee Gees, and I love Saturday Night Fever), the Soundtrack CD lacks much of the score annoyingly, and I'm with you on the OHMSS DBS being the best Bond car.
    I agree on all your points @Fire_and_Ice_Returns . I think Bond 77 sounds incredibly cool even now (very Bee Gees, and I love Saturday Night Fever), the Soundtrack CD lacks much of the score annoyingly, and I'm with you on the OHMSS DBS being the best Bond car.

The build up music to the Motor Bike side car bomb attack on the Lotus is great, @Murdock will if anyone have that track lol
    I keep watching the Lotus scene it's awesome, always felt the film dips afterwards.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I keep watching the Lotus scene it's awesome, always felt the film does afterwards.
    It sort of momentarily peaks there for me too.

I don't mind the Liparus sequence but it does go on a bit. I think it picks up again once Bond and Co. break past the security barrier and aim the missiles at one another. Then there's Bond on the Wetbike (as cool as it gets), the fantastic Atlantis finale with Jaws which I really enjoy and of course the classic "keeping the British end up sir" segue into the band version of NDIB.

So I think it ends on a high.
    I keep watching the Lotus scene it's awesome, always felt the film does afterwards.
    It sort of momentarily peaks there for me too.

I don't mind the Liparus sequence but it does go on a bit. I think it picks up again once Bond and Co. break past the security barrier and aim the missiles at one another. Then there's Bond on the Wetbike (as cool as it gets), the fantastic Atlantis finale with Jaws which I really enjoy and of course the classic "keeping the British end up sir" segue into the band version of NDIB.

So I think it ends on a high.

I think it's a ok ending though as you said the film had peaked, though I think that has happened alot in the Bond films. Merely a observation though I find the first and second acts are often good in the majority of the films, the third acts are not always great.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited May 2018 Posts: 16,331

The build up music to the Motor Bike side car bomb attack on the Lotus is great, @Murdock will if anyone have that track lol

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns

Courtesy of @Gustav_Graves :)
    http://picosong.com/wwqNM/

He uploaded a lot of TSWLM tracks. You can find them here.
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/17270/james-bond-songs-the-studio-album-mix-vs-the-film-version-score-tswlm-complete-sequenced/p1
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 12,271
    Drax being sucked into outer space is pretty horrific too, as silly as it looks.

EDIT: Sanchez being burned alive also deserves a mention.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Not to mention Milton Krest's horrific death from explosive decompression.