The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I find there are a lot of visual similarities between the TLD Q scene and the GE Q/M intro scene at MI6 HQ. Aesthetically they appear somewhat similar to me for some reason. There is also mention of that thigh crushing Russian which reminds me of a fat Xenia.

True. Quite a bit of GE reminds me of Daylights actually.
    Even the PTS of GE is somewhat reminiscent of TLD (at least Brozza and Dalton wear similar black outfits and I think it's set about 10 years earlier). Almost like they were trying to take us back to what could have been and resetting.
    I like Kara's apartment here. More realistic. However, I'd think Koskov would spring for a nicer place for his girlfriend.
    "Why didn't you learn the violin?"

I picture Pierce delivering that line with the same intensity as

"Then maybe you shouldn't be LIVING HEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!!!"
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 15,818
    @bondjames
    Absolutely! I love the black jumpsuit style outfits and the locations of both PTS's.
    In some ways it does seem like Eon was trying to erase the recent memory of the Dalton era by replacing it with Pierce.
    I read somewhere, probably Starburst magazine, that Dalton had the costume department cut his wardrobe to half for this film. I wonder what Pierce would have worn during the Aston Martin chase?
    It loos like Bond accidentally nicks Kara with the cello for a moment.
    Another hair comment:

Whitaker's styling hairdo would fit right in 2018. He's ahead of his time as is the jailer.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I read somewhere, probably Starburst magazine, that Dalton had the costume department cut his wardrobe to half for this film.
    That's interesting. Why would he want that I wonder? Perhaps more realistic not to look like he's dressing up snazzily for every occasion. I wish they'd done the same in SP when Bond visits Tangier with Madeleine and later heads off in the train and onto Blofeld HQ. Too many costume changes imho.
    I wonder what Pierce would have worn during the Aston Martin chase?
    I can see him in his TND PTS jacket, or perhaps the one he wore in the DAD PTS.
    @bondjames
    Absolutely! I love the black jumpsuit style outfits and the locations of both PTS's.
    In some ways it does seem like Eon was trying to erase the recent memory of the Dalton era by replacing it with Pierce.
    True. I like Moore's black number with the holster in LALD as well. Similar. Also Connery when roaming about Largo's villa at night in TB. It suits Bond, I think.
    I read somewhere, probably Starburst magazine, that Dalton had the costume department cut his wardrobe to half for this film.
    That's interesting. Why would he want that I wonder? Perhaps more realistic not to look like he's dressing up snazzily for every occasion. I wish they'd done the same in SP when Bond visits Tangier with Madeleine and later heads off in the train and onto Blofeld HQ. Too many costume changes imho.
    I wonder what Pierce would have worn during the Aston Martin chase?
    I can see him in his TND PTS jacket, or perhaps the one he wore in the DAD PTS.
    @bondjames
    True. I like Moore's black number with the holster in LALD as well. Similar. Also Connery when roaming about Largo's villa at night in TB. It suits Bond, I think.

I believe Dalton did want a simpler wardrobe as Bond in the novels wasn't too flashy. I think he also wanted it to look slightly modern.
    I can see Pierce wearing that beautiful TND leather jacket as well.
    Both Tim and Pierce had some cool casual clothes, IMO.
    Bond and Saunders at the opera. Once again, Dalton looks bad ass here. He is every inch James Bond. I'm often baffled why many didn't warm up to his interpretation.
    I should get a copy of THE THIRD MAN.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Bond and Saunders at the opera. Once again, Dalton looks bad ass here. He is every inch James Bond.
    I agree. He looked very good in all the dinner jacket scenes at night. Very Bond.
    I'm often baffled why many didn't warm up to his interpretation.
    It was too different to what had come before. Connery himself said something about it (not positive). That Dalton forgot about the humour or something along those lines. Guys like Willis and Arnie were killing it with humour so I suppose audiences wanted that from Bond too (after all, Moore and Connery wrote the book on one liner delivery).
    Bond and Saunders at the opera. Once again, Dalton looks bad ass here. He is every inch James Bond.
    I agree. He looked very good in all the dinner jacket scenes at night. Very Bond.
    I'm often baffled why many didn't warm up to his interpretation.
    It was too different to what had come before. Connery himself said something about it (not positive). That Dalton forgot about the humour or something along those lines. Guys like Willis and Arnie were killing it with humour so I suppose audiences wanted that from Bond too (after all, Moore and Connery wrote the book on one liner delivery).

True. Movies like Lethal Weapon, and Die Hard were filled with humor amongst the hard action.
    Bond confronting Pushkin. I remember the first time I saw this and thought this would be the last Bond to be rated PG. I was right. It probably JUST avoided being PG-13 at the time.
    I love John Rhys Davies. Great actor. Pity he didn't continue as Pushkin.
    I like when Tim pounds Pushkin's bodyguard.
    The rooftop bit. I love this section and the Barry score here.
    This is interesting...............Bond wears his shoulder holster underneath his blue shirt rather than just under the jacket.
    I like the Magic Carpet deleted scene and feel it might have worked, but seems sloppily edited. Perhaps some tighter editing and they could have included it?

I'm actually standing up to cheer and give a standing ovation to everyone's favorite Felix Leiter.........JOHN TERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe it's the haircut and clothes, but compared to Jack Lord he kind of looks like a dork.
    My favorite section of the film now begins...............Bond captured and confront Koskov aboard the plane.
    I love Barry's score as the plane lands.

Bond and Kara off to jail.
    Maybe it's the haircut and clothes, but compared to Jack Lord he kind of looks like a dork.
    Most people look like dorks next to Lord imho. Having said that, Terry looks prety nerdy generally anyway. Bad choice for Leiter imho.
    Most people look like dorks next to Lord imho. Having said that, Terry looks prety nerdy generally anyway. Bad choice for Leiter imho.

LOL. True. Although, he might have been alright given more to do. Terry has been solid in other films. My least favorite Leiter, though.

Jailbreak! The jailer is pretty sleazy.
    Bond is not wearing a watch. Odd.
    Mr Wint would have made his WWOOOOOOOOO sound in this scene.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 15,818
    The obligatory John Glen "Bond steals a jacket as a disguise scene".

I want that to make a comeback.
    Sneaky Bond..............I love it!!!!!!
    Jailbreak! The jailer is pretty sleazy.
    Horrid overacting by this chap.